Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 16 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#196236 - 03/19/09 04:25 PM G2 Attack  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I don't know what happened yesterday evening, but Max, my 40-ish, non-human bonded G2 brutally attacked my face.

Max Bite (This was taken about an hour after the incident.)

It was just before 6pm and right on schedule for passing out dinner to everyone. Max and my female G2 were up on the railing in the loft watching (as ususal) and Max flew down and landed on top of his cage, then launched onto my face, sinking his beak into my cheek. It was not a quick bite either, he had a good hold and had no intentions of letting go. I put my hand to my face in an attempt to get him off and he strengthened his bite. I walked 1/2 way across the familyroom, with him still attached to my face and grabbed a towel out of the basket of clean, folded laundry sitting on the loveseat and swatted it at my face. He let go and flew back up to the loft. I put the towel to my face and bent over the loveseat until I could see more than stars. When I made it into the bathroom, blood was running down my check, chin and neck.

Besides some superficial scratches from his talons, my cheek is punctured from both the uppper and lower beak, with the top being the deepest. I'm sure it could have used a stitch of two. It was bleeding profusely and the first few bandages only lasted a few minutes before blood was seeping through. My oldest daughter was out, so I asked her to stop on her way home and pick up some larger bandages. When she got home about 3 hours later, I changed it again, just before bedtime. The upper puncture began bleeding profusely again. This morning the scratch marks are gone, but the top puncture is still oozing blood, there's a nice bruise and the entire side of my face is VERY sore.

On the rare occasions that I am bitten, I know why, and it's always my fault. I'm sure that this time it's my fault too, but I haven't figured out why yet. Max wasn't protecting JoJo, because she was still upstairs hanging in the loft, and the food ports swing out, so I wasn't inside the cage threatening territory. It was just another usual night with the same usual routine. This may very well be one of those unexplained attacks that we talk about here everyday and warn others about the dangers of bringing these wild creatures into our homes. One thing I do know. I have never been on the receiving end of such brutality. A quick bite for Max wasn't enough - he was literally attached to my face and had no intentions of letting go willingly. I am thankful that it was me and not one of my daughters, especially my youngest.

I know that all of us are going to have to keep our guard up even more than ever and be cautious and cognizant of Max's whereabouts at all times.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#196242 - 03/19/09 04:50 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: EchosMom]  
tristian Offline
tristian  Offline

amelia, virginia
ooooooooooo lord janet i hope your ok and heal fast. it just goes to show you never know when it's gonna happen.
helen

May your Birds out live You.Only in caring Hands.
#196246 - 03/19/09 05:25 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: tristian]  
ILuvMyBE2 Offline
ILuvMyBE2  Offline

Georgia
Wow! I do hope you heal fast. Of course the emotional part will take time. My heart goes out to you and your flock!

Peggy
(Owned by 1 budgie, and formerly owned by a BE2)
#196247 - 03/19/09 05:34 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: ILuvMyBE2]  
Phyllis Offline
Phyllis  Offline

Idaho, Murphy, USA
Ouch, I've experienced a nasty bite but usually it was my hand and once on my face. If your ever attacked again and hopefully not and near the shower. Turn the shower on and still you head in it. It startles them enough that they let go immediately.

I think this works even though I shower with my birds I never let the stream of water hit them but let the water spray off my shoulder so they are not accustom to the blast of water. In fact I don't think the water actually touched them, they let go immediately.

His attack is probably based on the fact he is very hormonal right now and that makes them unpredictable. Good luck and I hope you don't have to deal with that again.

Once was, Once is, Happy Once Again!

Phyllis

http://www.mytoos.com/main.shtml

#196249 - 03/19/09 05:52 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Phyllis]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Janet,

A similar thing happened to my husband several years ago with our caique, but it had a slightly different ending as he was clipped.

Our caique launched at him, bit, and wouldn't let go, so my husband grabbed a towel and went over by the couch to gently swipe him off (we have hard wood floors so he didn't swipe him to the floor because he didn't want him to get hurt). Although my husband was very gentle (I witnessed the whole event), due to the way he landed (bounced off the couch and onto the floor), our caique ended up breaking his femur, which required a lot of costly vet work and my husband was just beside himself for what he had done, even though it was an accident. Our caique ended up healing OK, but he still doesn't completely trust my husband and it's been over three years.

I add my story because you knew you could swipe Max and he'd fly away, but I wanted people with non flighted birds to realize they have to be more careful.

Also, sending healing thoughts your way!

Last edited by Beeps; 03/19/09 05:53 PM. Reason: healing thoughts
#196263 - 03/19/09 10:57 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Beeps]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Thank you everyone and yes Beeps, "swipe" is the better word. Max isn't afraid of towels, and is always prepared to do battle with one. I grabbed the towel in the hopes that he would release his hold on my face and go after the towel instead. I'm not sure if he actually grabbed ahold of the towel before he flew off or not. At that point my world was dark, except for the tiny flicker of "stars". I'm glad your little caique recovered and thanks for posting the word of caution for those whose birds aren't flighted.

ETA: Oh and Beeps, please pass my sympathies to your hubby.

Last edited by EchosMom; 03/19/09 11:22 PM.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#196269 - 03/20/09 01:02 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: EchosMom]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
Oh wow that had to hurt!!!!!!!!

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#196273 - 03/20/09 02:07 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Chewy]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
OH man! I know THAT was/is painful.....take care!

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#196278 - 03/20/09 03:04 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Brandy's mom]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
YIKES! I know that birds are wild animals but you as their primary care giver probably have to work at not taking it personally. Our sun conure was recently clipped because he was doing frequent flying attacks. I agree with Phyllis that it's probably his hormonal time of year. When either of us as adults have been bitten, we always think...glad it wasn't our children (& they have been bitten before!)!! My youngest son was bitten on his neck, shoulder, & both arms between the ages of 10-12. Our youngest daughter was bitten on both arms & shoulder about 1-2 years ago. She is 9 and adores Brewster! One of my adult daughters was bitten while getting something out of the refrigerator & was too close to the play stand. My husband has bite scars on both arms. I was bitten multiple times the first year we got Brewster, trying to establish "rules". Only once last fall on my index finger...giving him a pet through the bars of the cage saying good night! I still have very little sensation on the tip of my finger! Not to defend our bird, but about 1/3 were bites where it appeared he was trying to get his balance. Another 1/3 were attitude problems like not wanting to step up or go to bed. The other 1/3 who knows? They can't tell us when something bothers them enough to attack. So we always need to be on guard! I hope you heal quickly! We should all learn from this!

Gail
#196290 - 03/20/09 04:11 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Bird Mom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Quote:
We should all learn from this!

Amen!

#196294 - 03/20/09 04:26 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Charlie]  
anitamarie942 Offline
anitamarie942  Offline

OMG - You poor thing EM!!! That must have HURT.
I have never been bitten badly before (just annoyed nips and one occasion when I was really stupid and totally deserved it) - but my birds are young still and havent reached sexual maturity...It is really scary that this is what could be coming up from my birds, I cant imagine it...talk about wild animals!!
And he was ATTACHED to your face, my God it could have been your eye, how terrifying for you!!!
I tell you what, I'm adding that photo to the bite section of my booklet for the protest...people just HAVE to know that this is what can happen, at random, even to the most experienced people.
Hope your poor face gets better soon!!
Anita

#196311 - 03/20/09 12:29 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: anitamarie942]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
having a lot of trouble with Cleo biting when she doesn't get her own way. She gave me the twin of your face bite and it was very hard for me to trust her again. Just tried to think postive thoughts, admitted to myself that I was afraid but carried through on our normal routine anyhow. Yesterday she was sitting on my hand and gave me a nasty bite because she evidently didn't want me to lower her onto my knee. Sigh!

Pat

One Day At A Time
#196316 - 03/20/09 02:34 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Last night Nikki bit me around my elbow. All bites have a reason. We may not know what that reason is, but they do have a reason at least for the bird. Last night, Sally was on Nikki's cage and Nikki was hanging off the side of her cage because she is afraid of Sally. I was in the process of feeding the birds their mash and Sally gets fed first. I walked up to her with the plate and phone in my hand. I never gave this any thought until Nikki bit my arm and then she had my full attention. The skin was only slightly broken but there is quite the lovely bruise this morning. If I had been looking at Nikki before this happened, I probably would have seen a difference in her body language but humans being what we are, I was only focused on what I was doing. Apparently, I need to stop doing that when I am around Nikki's cage. She is not going to politely ask me why I am wearing those dangerous rubber gloves or what is that strange black object (phone) you have in your hand. She is going to protect herself and since I didn't pay attention to her body language, she told me in a way I would understand (the bite).

My bad. LOL

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#196344 - 03/20/09 08:44 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: ZazuSally]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Janet, I am so sorry this happened to you. I fully understand how you feel. I hope you heal quickly with no scar. I know the emotional scar will take longer to heal. It is so scary when they attach themselves to you while biting.
Take care, Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#196380 - 03/21/09 03:47 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Ladyhutch]  
LoriAnn Offline
LoriAnn  Offline

Iowa
Janet im sorry to see you got hurt
when my daughter was 3 our Coco (u2) bit her right on the tip of her finger i got the phone call at work to take her to the hospital me knowing Coco didnt think anything about it got to the hospital told the doctors what happen they said just how big of a bird do you think you have there, well i knew what was about to happen i called my mother she came right up. cause they were thinking i done it to her yeah im gonna chew on the tip of her finger but anyway my daughter lived Coco never drew blood again i think in a small way Coco knew she did a no no cause she never offered to bit another child again

#196384 - 03/21/09 04:17 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: LoriAnn]  
Bogie's Buddy Offline
Bogie's Buddy  Offline

Ct
That is one nasty bite, and it must have been a very unsettling experience. Knock on wood, Bogie has never bitten me on the face. There are just times that something gets into their heads, and they act on it by biting. I'm sure they have a reason, but in those few cases, darned if you can figure out why. As others have said, you just have to be on guard when you're working with wild creatures. I add my wishes for a complete and rapid healing.

John

#196394 - 03/21/09 05:53 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Bogie's Buddy]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
You guys are all great!!! Thanks for all the well wishes, they are much appreciated.

My cheek is healing very nicely and the initial shock has subsided. I never took it personally, but it sure did give me a painful (literally) reminder that cockatoos are wild creatures and do not belong in captivity. I've done alot of thinking and yes, some crying these past 2 days. Max was yanked from the wild somewhere around 40 years ago, housed in a crowded USDA quarantine station for 18 months, and lived at least 10 years locked inside a budgie size cage, 24/7 with no toys.

It's not his fault, nor was it mine. I love the little guy to pieces. Life goes on. Wounds heal. We move forward, remember the lesson, give them the best possible lives they can have in their captive world, and continue to fight the injustices they endure.

#196427 - 03/21/09 10:55 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: EchosMom]  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
Ouch! Glad your ok.

Quote:
It's not his fault, nor was it mine. I love the little guy to pieces. Life goes on. Wounds heal. We move forward, remember the lesson, give them the best possible lives they can have in their captive world, and continue to fight the injustices they endure.

Well put! smile

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
#196475 - 03/22/09 08:54 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Crossfire]  
anitamarie942 Offline
anitamarie942  Offline

My God...what an AWFUL life that poor little bird must have had...bastards that caught him!!
I'm sure he loves you for rescuing him, I dont reckon he could have found someone more devoted to his happiness than you. Or so forgiving of his 'wildness'.
Once again, impressed with your way of handling things Janet. Keep getting better
Anita

#196507 - 03/22/09 07:53 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: anitamarie942]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Wow EM that was a nasty one. I'm glad your o.k. I'm also impressed with your handling of the situation. Another reality check for us all.

Donna
Free as a bird???
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny