Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 21 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#196564 - 03/23/09 01:33 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Donnalee]  
umbimom Offline
umbimom  Offline

central PA
Janet, I just now saw this post. What a nasty bite. I had one that matched it on my head beside my eye. I never did figure out why it happened, it just did. I wish everyone who ever thought of getting one of these birds would read and realize it does happen and sometimes for no reason that we can figure out. Best of luck healing. Sharon

#196810 - 03/26/09 01:09 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Donnalee]  
vondooly Offline
Lives Here
vondooly  Offline
Lives Here

N W Alabama
I am sorry for your bite and the pain you suffered.It will probably take you a while to get over the fear that I'm sure will be there deep inside you.You are right ,they are wild animals and it is very easy to lose sight of that.This is a good reminder !

Vonda
ROLL TIDE
#197522 - 04/02/09 05:57 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Donnalee]  
luv my Coco bean Offline
luv my Coco bean  Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
OMG!! I'm so glad he didn't get hold of your eye!!!!! That looks sooo sore, I hope you heal fast and feel better soon.

Yvonne
@--\---
#198001 - 04/08/09 05:37 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I just wanted to let everyone know that the wound is all healed. At the sight of the scar were the upper beak penetrated (that one was the deepest), there is a knot under the surface of the skin. I'm assume it's internal scar tissue, which I am sure decrease in size over time. smile

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#198889 - 04/18/09 02:26 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: tristian]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Originally Posted By: tristian
it just goes to show you never know when it's gonna happen.helen

This thread scares me...we speak as though an unprovoked and malicous attack is to be expected...and then when it happens, even though you have done nothing wrong, its not the birds fault...

I understand a bite...Buddy pinches me whenever he wants to let me know to do, or stop doing, something...he has broken skin on occassion, sometimes for no reason...but to attack like that and latch on...wow...another reason to add to my list for clipping a bird...no bird is going to attack me like that...hormones or no hormones...

I admire your dedication to the bird, but you do not deserve to have to live in fear for you and your children...if you have no idea why Max attacked, then you have no idea when he will again...I do not think I could live like that...

#198892 - 04/18/09 02:49 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: GregM]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Greg, Max is flighted, but that had nothing to do with it. Yes, he did fly down from the loft to the top of his cage, but there was no flight involved in the bite. He was on his cage and jumped onto my face, while I was putting his dinner bowl in his cage.

From my perspective it was unprovoked, but from his I'm sure it wasn't. What all of us have to remember is that cockatoos are not domesticated animals - they are only once or twice removed from the wild. Therefore, the will act like what they are - wild creatures.

My girls and I are not living in fear. This episode, as Charlie said was a lesson to us all. A lesson that we are living with wild creatures in our home and that we should NEVER forget that. Even if they are captive bred, they are still wild creatures.

No, I do not know what provoked the attack, BUT I have hightened security to try my damnest to prevent it again. I no longer service his food bowl while he is out of his cage. Once he retires to his cage for the evening, then his dinner is served. My girls have always stayed clear of him because he's never been overly friendly and whenever I have to approach within jumping distance of him, I keep a towel handy on my shoulder and if he so much as looks my way, I have the towel as a shield in case I need it.

As far as I (and many others here) are concerned, there is no such thing as a bad bird. I am sure that he had his reason/s. Perhaps he felt that I was intruding in his territory (his cage), I'll never know. But what I do know that is that I made a commitment to this wild creature, and it is one that I intend to keep. Sometimes it makes life difficult, and yes dangerous, but like I said, it's not his fault that he's not living in his homeland, free as he should be. While I am not his original captor, I am his captor now. That makes me very sad.

Oh, and BTW, if you look in this same forum, you will see a picture of where my captive bred, M2 that I have raised since she was 16 weeks old broke my thumb a couple summers ago. The reason for that is clear, but once again, it boils down to the fact that she's an undomesticated creature, forced to live an unnatural life in captivity.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#198893 - 04/18/09 02:52 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: GregM]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Greg, just because you don't think you did something wrong, doesn't mean you didn't. Birds do not bite for "no reason". All behaviour has function which is why I am trying to teach Applied Behaviour Analysis. Humans teach birds to bite because we don't listen to what they are trying to tell us. A bite is a last resort that means I don't want to do that. I suspect Max was protecting his territory. I have never taken a bite that I couldn't figure out the reason for it and you can bet, it was something I did wrong.

The goffin I adopted in November jumped on my back and bit me on the neck a month or so ago. To most people it would have appeared that she attacked me for "no reason", when in fact I was wearing white non-latex gloves that she does not like. It wasn't me she was after but the gloves. She was actually trying to protect me from the evil gloves. Go figure. LOL

Feel better? LOL

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#198895 - 04/18/09 03:03 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: ZazuSally]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Well put to both EM and Bev!

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#198896 - 04/18/09 03:13 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Janny]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Perhaps he didn't like what was being served for dinner - LOL! Bev, I agree with you, he was most likely protecting his territory. Now what made that particular evening different from any other, who knows. But I guarantee you, he does.

#198897 - 04/18/09 03:22 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: EchosMom]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
And I forgot to mention, Greg, that Nikki had no feathers at the time except a bit of down so she could not fly but I can tell you, she is a good little jumper. LOL

I have to post the picture. It looks like a vampire bite. Will it happen again? Most likely, humans being what we are. Always getting distracted by something or other. I was very careful for a day or two. LOL I'm wearing those gloves tonight while I clean the cages but you can bet your butt, I put Nikki over on another cage - out of jumping range. LOL

Parrots are prey animals. If you never knew when something was going to eat you, you'd be hypervigilent too. Who knew that Mr. Clean gloves were dangerous. Learn something new every day. LOL

Bev

Last edited by ZazuSally; 04/18/09 03:22 AM. Reason: typo

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#198899 - 04/18/09 03:31 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: EchosMom]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
"Oh, and BTW, if you look in this same forum, you will see a picture of where my captive bred, M2 that I have raised since she was 16 weeks old broke my thumb a couple summers ago. The reason for that is clear, but once again, it boils down to the fact that she's an undomesticated creature, forced to live an unnatural life in captivity."

I saw that, and while I grimaced it did not appear as malicous as Max...a single bite from a strong bird...I am not sure what "nesting" is that your interrupted...

I did not realize that Max jumped off the top of the cage and thought he flew at you...he actually flew away...maybe you are right and he felt you were intruding into his domain...I dont know...maybe I am failing to comprehend the distinction between domesticated animals and these "wild" animals...need to readjust my thinging...

"Who knew that Mr. Clean gloves were dangerous. Learn something new every day. LOL"

Now that is funny...

"She was actually trying to protect me from the evil gloves. Go figure. LOL"

Objection: Speculation, your honor may I be heard...

Last edited by Janny; 04/18/09 03:44 AM. Reason: removed consecutive posts and combined the 3.Please in the future use our edit feature instead of back to back posting.Thanks.
#198904 - 04/18/09 03:52 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: GregM]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Living with cockatoo's I expect to get bit once and a while. Sometimes we know why by observing things and thinking sometimes we don't but there is a reason.

I live with a previously abused and neglected Citron named Angie. She does fly by attacks and will actually land on my neck and sink her beak in. I never knew the reason for the longest time. I thought and doubted that I was the right home for her even...then all of a sudden after talking out some of my concerns about my caring for her.Someone mentioned the very reason she does this. I know now it is the reason. She attacks me when my hubby leaves for work. She doesn't really like him and won't let him any where close enough to touch her...I am the only one who can do that. But somewhere in her mind she feels it is upsetting her routine and I am the one who pays.

None of this means she needs to be punished.Nor do I for that matter. When he leaves for work I just make wider margins around her and really watch her. She changes back in a day or two again.Does it change the fact that I love her...no. Would I take away her right to fly because of this...no.I learn to work around it and change myself and things I do instead.

Jan

#198905 - 04/18/09 03:55 AM Re: G2 Attack [Re: GregM]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Greg, regarding the "nesting" you can read the thread here, but the short version is that Echo was incorrectly DNA'd male and I was allowing "him" to "play" in the linen closet upstairs. "He wasn't playing, SHE was building a nest to lay eggs, and I not only interrupted her, but removed her from her nest. She became eggbound shortly thereafter, which is when we realized that her DNA results were wrong.

#198928 - 04/18/09 01:14 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: EchosMom]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
Oh, wow...that makes perfect sense...and it WAS your fault! : )

Does that mean I should definately have Buddy sexed? From my reading it appears there are certain traits known that are particular to males and females and knowing for sure could prevent my error in the future, as you unfortunately learned the hard way...

#198932 - 04/18/09 04:17 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: GregM]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Gregg I had Cassie DNA tested not so much for me to avoid behavior but to know what to watch for in the event of eggs. Behavior on our part should be the same when interacting with the birds whether male or female. No petting below the neck or under the wings. Males will nest too and can become aggressive to protect the nest during hormone seasons. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#198934 - 04/18/09 04:45 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: BE2Cassie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I know some people disagree, but I think it's important to know their sex. As birds mature there may be some tell-tale indications of the sex, but it is nearly impossible to tell in a young bird. And the foundation you are laying today with Buddy is very important. Aside from the fact that I got a bad DNA reading, I am still 100% for DNA testing. One person (not here) thought that Echo's being DNA'd wrong was "hysterical". (Speaks volumes for their mentality since eggbinding is a life threatening emergency!) I fail to see the humor. Besides avoiding the bite, had I known she was female, there is a good possibility that she would have never produced eggs. I wouldn't have allowed her in the closet, to play with plastic eggs at Easter, or play in boxes.

#198936 - 04/18/09 04:50 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
In my home I find my females cockatoos to be more aggressive than the males. It could just be how things work and the personality of my cockatoos I don't know but you should be aware that ALL too's have the potential to be aggressive at some point.

I am a firm believer in the DNA test though. I want to know who to watch for when it comes to egg binding. I don't need any suprizes.

Last edited by Janny; 04/18/09 04:55 PM.

Jan

#199024 - 04/19/09 01:01 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Janny]  
GregM Offline
Lives Here
GregM  Offline
Lives Here

Staten Island, N.Y.
I know this is probably covered somewhere, but are the dreaded "hormonal" changes seasonal? Can they be anticipated at any time of year?

#199026 - 04/19/09 01:13 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: GregM]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Normally they go into season twice per year in the late fall and early spring. Other birds can be hormonal at different times of the year, while others still can be hormonal all year. You'll hear people referring to broody hens. This is when either the hen is hormonal and nest building or it can be used for a hen that is constantly nest building and laying. A very dangerous thing for a hen. When excessive laying occurs it can cause a drastic decrease in calcium levels and egg binding.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#199222 - 04/21/09 04:31 PM Re: G2 Attack [Re: Janny]  
buttons51 Offline
buttons51  Offline

how do i know if she is egg bound.she laid one egg yesterday and how many do they usually lay?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny