Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 41 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 46 of 48 1 2 44 45 46 47 48
#237816 - 09/12/11 05:31 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
Amystar Offline
Amystar  Offline

So great to hear Noelle is doing so well and trying to be a good sissy for Charlie.
Amy

#239060 - 11/03/11 07:51 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Noelle has surpassed *trying* to be a good sissy to Charlee. Their relationship took some nuturing/promotion on all 3 of our parts, but we have success. Noelle and Charlee have joined the Mutual preening Club - whereas Echo is ALWAYS the preener, and never the preenee.

Since the split back Feather Protectors in combo with the hoodies (which hide and protect the FP velcro) worked so well for Charlee I decided to give it a try for Noelle, and so far so good! I had hoped to have them in matching hoodies for Halloween but unfortunately they only had 1 in the right size. But that's OK...it was substituted with a new "winter" design not yet available on the website so come Christmas, the girls will be styling together.

Incredibly, Noelle's 3 yr adoption anniversary is approaching quickly. She is, and always will be the best Christmas blessing ever. When I look back at where she's been and where she is today I'm so very proud of her. Noelle, you've come a long way Baby!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#239065 - 11/03/11 04:13 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Can't believe it's nearly been 3 years. Thanks for documenting everything so well. I know this will be invaluable information to other people with mutilating birds.

#239068 - 11/03/11 05:28 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
"Noelle, you've come a long way Baby!"
So very well said!!!

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#239164 - 11/07/11 06:34 PM Re: Noelle [Re: BE2Cassie]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Wow, I cannot believe it has been almost 3 years! December 26th, right? What a blessing you have been to each other! Way to go, Noelle!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#239165 - 11/07/11 08:47 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
Anniesmom Offline
Anniesmom  Offline

Fort Worth, TX
Yeah for Noelle you and your babies are blessings for each other.

Lisa
#240027 - 12/04/11 03:56 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
Ellen W. Offline
Ellen W.  Offline

Columbia, Maryland
I have just read this entire post for my bedtime story. It is a tale of true love, determination, and hope. Thank you.

Mom to Annie B.,Molly,the Keet Family, Zeke the Pug, Ivan the Terrible, Edison and Einstein the Cats
#240072 - 12/06/11 01:49 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Thank you Ellen.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#240662 - 12/26/11 07:32 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Happy 3rd Anniversary, Noelle!

This precious girl has come so very far these past 3 years and I am so very proud of all of her accomplishments...she is no longer a "wall flower", that's for sure - lol!

We still battle the demons of self-mutilation, but thanks to the Feather Protectors all is well. I was hoping that she would take the less protective FP's as Charlee has and wear a hoodie overtop, but that did not work for Noelle. The 3rd morning I got her out of her sleep cage to find both dangling around her neck. The velcro was first chewed open, then chewed off - lol - that's my determined girl!! So we went back to the "mac-daddy" design and since she really doesn't appreciate anything being pulled over/off her head, I am not putting hoodies on her since they serve no useful purpose.

She is keeping in holiday fashion however - the reinforcement on her newest protector is red.

Noelle, Christmas 2011

Noelle, Christmas 2011 (2)

(Notice the hint of green on her face?? She enjoyed herself chomping and rubbing on a green wood toy while wet and the week before looked like the Grinch - lol!

#240663 - 12/26/11 09:51 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Congratulations Noelle and Janet!

It's hard to believe it's three years. I'll bet she's never been happier.

The three 'WISE GIRLS' are beautiful and loved by all.

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#240665 - 12/26/11 10:07 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Happy Anniversary, wow 3 years already!! Noelle you've come a long way!

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#240666 - 12/26/11 11:14 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Happy Anniversary! Janet, she is adorable and the look in her eye shows such contentment.

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#240718 - 12/28/11 01:20 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Thank you ladies - it was an extra blessed day!

#245032 - 05/30/12 05:13 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
katied772 Offline
katied772  Offline

Hi Noelle,
I have a Too that started picking two years ago after 27 yrs of no problems. Collared for a year and a half. Now after removing two weeks ago, she is starting again. These vests you are using may work for her. Is there any problem with them being too hot in the summer? And does your bird try to pick the fabric? Can you give detailed instructions on making one? Need to try something fast before I have to make the decision to re-collar. Although, I'm not sure about getting one on her. She's not real good about things like that. We can pet and hold her but anything else, not so much.
Thanks for any info.
Kate

#245047 - 05/31/12 02:18 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Hi Kate, my name is Janet and I'm Noelle's mom.

Currently Noelle and her sister Charlee (another self-mutilator I adopted) are wearing Feather Protectors by Avian Fashions. They are far better than anything I have ever been able to make myself. www.avianfashions.com They have different styles for the varying degree of protection a bird needs. Noelle wears the High Necks and Charlee wears the Back Closure. Both have about the same degree of protection as they have a Kevlar and/or Neoprene insert in the front panel to protect the chest. The upside to the High Neck is the caliber of Velcro used...Noelle is a master at demolishing Velcro, but not with these. The downside is that they must be put on/taken off over the head and that gets a little tricky. The upside to the Back Closure is that it does not go over the head, with the downside being that the Velcro isn't nearly as strong as the High Neck. They also make a FP for mild pluckers - Noelle had that one off in about 10 minutes - lol! They also offer "Hoodies" which offers no real protection, except a possible deterrent since it covers the chest. Some birds respond well to the "out of sight, out of mind" theory - but not my girls. I do use the Hoodies though -overtop of the FP's.

The vests I was making for Noelle previously are very simple, but again as a standalone,don't offer alot of protection. Using an adults medium or large sweatshirt, cut the sleeve 6" down from the bottom cuff seam, then turn the sleeve so that the inside arm seam is centered (this is your back panel). You will need to cut the bottom again so that it's even. Then (with the inside seam still centered, fold it flat and cut up to the cuff seam on each side. The cuff is now the neck/head hole and you have a front and back panel. Remember the seamed panel is the back. Lay the front panel out and trim it so that it is 6" wide (give or take a little). Then make 2-2" vertical slits, measuring in 2" in from each side. This gives you 2 - 2" slits w/ 2" in between them...this is where the legs go. Again on the front panel measure 2" down from the cuff seam and 2" from the bottom - and make a 1" vertical slit, 1" in from the edge - a total of 4 (2 at the top and 2 at the bottom)...I call these "lace holders" Now for your "lace" cut 2, 1" wide lengths of the sweatshirt (stretchy way) about 12" long. On one side of the front panel, pull a lace through the top and bottom lace holder slit so they are even. If you're creative you make an inside pouch out of more sweatshirt material and add reinforcement. Now the vest is ready to be put on (over the head). They are pretty easy to put on since they stretch! Then it's time to put the legs through the holes...can be a little tricky if they fight, but again the fabric is stretchy so not too much of a big deal (hopefully). Make sure the front and back panels are flat and lace it up by pulling the top lace (side closest to the body) under the wing and around to the corresponding side (make sure you don't pull it all the way through), pull it through that slit, then bring it around to the center back, along with the other end and tie in a knot. Then repeat for the bottom lace. Once secured you may need to unbunch the back panel, and possibly do a little trimming around the top of the wings, but you need a cooperative bird to do this safely.

It's difficult to explain but I think if you work with one you'll get the hang of it. Practice putting it on stuffed animal if you're not sure...I did. If it's not clear or you are having problems, let me know and I can email you or call you. But if you really want to nip this in the bud, I suggest trying a Feather Protector because my homemade vests pale in comparison.

Good luck and I hope you'll keep us updated.

#246568 - 07/31/12 12:49 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I figured it was time for a Noelle update - it's been awhile because she's just doing wonderfully!!!

We still battle with her mutilation tendencies, but she is comfortable in her vests so we keep things under control.

She has gotten to be quite the sassy one and has even taken to chasing me off if she's getting into something she shouldn't, like chewing up the baseboards - lol. She has also become the "social butteryfly" with her 2 M2's sisters. She spends equal time each day with Echo and Charlee - looking for trouble to get into w/Echo and just hanging with Charlee, taking a nap beside her and mutual preening sessions. Echo still does not allow either of them to preen her but she does share breakfast from Charlee's bowl each morning, which is very cute to watch.

No more eggs from Noelle this past year either, which is a huge relief and blessing!! As for people, only my oldest daughter and myself can handle her - she doesn't bite anyone but is very fearful and puffs up head feathers and hisses at them. The rest of the family has come to accept this so when the visit, they always greet her but are careful to keep their distance so as not to frighten her.

She's been a joy and a love since day #1 that grows with each passing day.

#246611 - 07/31/12 05:16 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
The FP's are $39.95 + shipping, which is a small price to pay for the protection they offer.

I agree with you it's sad when self-mutilation becomes so ingrained in their being that they simply cannot help themselves. Noelle lived for several years in an outdoor shed with virtually no contact to the outside world, a rusted cage, no enrichment and a crap diet. Her self-mutilating may have been the only thing that made her feel "alive". But that's all changed now and she's a happy, healthy girl and we deal with the mutilating tendencies, just as we do with her "sister" Charlee.

People that I don't know aren't allowed in my home, except of course for home repairs stuff as needed and yes, I do warn them that I have parrots, but am also diligent that whenever a stranger must enter the house, all the birds are caged. As they admire the birds, many will ask, why some have "clothes" on or "what happened to that ones feathers" and absolutely I take the opportunity to give a brief run down on how parrots do not belong in captivity and suffer as a result, which includes feather picking and self-mutilation. I seize every opportunity I can to educate, no matter how small the window is.

Here is a picture of Noelle just taken this evening shortly after dinner with a little dried sweet potato on the top of her beak - lol!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/Untitled.jpg

#246613 - 07/31/12 05:24 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
AJMontyBird Offline
Lives Here
AJMontyBird  Offline
Lives Here

British Columbia, Canada
She's beautiful; I'm glad all of you are doing well. smile

My flock: Monty (Eleanora/medium sulphur crested cockatoo), Benjamin Button (European Starling).
#246617 - 07/31/12 06:57 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Great update Janet. She is truly a beauty. Love her to pieces. Give her a kiss from me.

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#249944 - 12/27/12 01:55 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Happy Anniversary Noelle! It's hard to believe - these 4 years have flown by!

Page 46 of 48 1 2 44 45 46 47 48

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny