Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 48 1 2 3 4 5 47 48
#191749 - 02/02/09 07:46 AM Re: Noelle [Re: Winter's mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
HAHAHA Cheryl, I asked myself that same question after the 1st time!! Seriously though, I am fortunate to have an extra pair of hands - those of my 18 y/o daughter, who adores Noelle, and vice versa. I could manage it on my own, but with 2 of us it makes the task so much easier, until it becomes routine. Noelle, despite what she's been through is a sweetheart, which also makes it easier.

I lay Noelle on my lap (on her back) and my daughter holds her head and feet. I put the fingers and thumb of my right hand inside the cuff and slip it over her head. Then I put her legs through the openings. Then we slightly lift her back, put the back into position, and then I extend each wing away from her body just enough to align and "zip" the sides shut.

It's done very matter of factly, without emotion, and once we're done (which takes about a minute) we have lots of "Look at YOU", "Good girl" and "YAH Noelle"'s !! All is forgiven, and a grape (her favorite) seals the deal.

I'm looking forward to the day when she sits on my lap and cooperates completely. It is a work-in-progress and we are getting closer each time. I work with Noelle everyday by touching her dress, extending her wings and checking that the velcro is secured shut, etc., to get her used to the same manner of handling.

She's such a good bird!!!!!!!!!!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#191763 - 02/02/09 03:40 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
luv my Coco bean Offline
luv my Coco bean  Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
I've just gone back and read your story from beginning to now....my God what a story it is!! Noelle is so lucky to have found you!! She seems to have been to hell and back. Looking at her first pictures and her recent ones shows just how much love can do. Between your family and Echo loving her so much, I'm sure that Noelle must think she's in heaven. I want to congratulate you on having such a huge heart and taking care of this bird who so badly needed you. You are truly an amazing person.

Yvonne
@--\---
#191770 - 02/02/09 05:18 PM Re: Noelle [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

oh boy, on her back..... do you towel her first? I don't have an extra pair of hands here, and I came up with a Sock Buddy for Makira... she's growing in great, but I am still seeing feathers on the bottom of the cage. I don't know if they're molted feathers or chewed feathers. Anyway I tried putting the Sock buddy on her and she seemed so upset, I thought the stress might make things worse. I cut it off and left her alone.
Great job,though on Noelle. The dress seems like a great solution for her.MAYBE she will regrow some feathers. (crossed fingers)

#191776 - 02/02/09 06:28 PM Re: Noelle [Re: Winter's mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Nope, no towel. The first time we started with a towel, but the towel seemed to upset her more than anything so we ditched it and haven't used one since.

The only sign of feather re-growth is on her rump - it's all covered with fuzzy down. CUTE!!!

Yvonne, thank you for your kind words. Noelle is the amazing one!!! For all she's been through, she's sweet, gentle, trusting and forgiving. We're the lucky ones to have her!!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#191797 - 02/02/09 07:36 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
I don't think you give yourself enough credit, EM. Not everyone could or would take on a bird with Noelle's medical problems. I couldn't do it. Not so much because of the medical aspect but because M2s are big and they have reaallllllllllllllly big beaks. LOL

She is home now. That is what is important.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#192003 - 02/03/09 09:23 PM Re: Noelle [Re: ZazuSally]  
luv my Coco bean Offline
luv my Coco bean  Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
I agree with Bev, you've done a truly wonderful thing for Noelle, and I'm sure she'll be forever grateful.

Yvonne
@--\---
#192069 - 02/04/09 10:57 AM Re: Noelle [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Following this wonderful story of another rescue of a beautiful Too. How lucky Noelle is to find a soft place to land.

#192304 - 02/06/09 07:21 AM Re: Noelle [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
The little U2 who shares my home will always wear a t-shirt because after all the years of mutilation I know she needs to be kept from seeing her chest. I know that awful cycle will return. It was just unsettling to see how awful her chest looks. I have alway moved so quickly to get one shirt over the other and to keep her from seeing her chest that I have not looked closely since I no longer have to apply medication and worry about the sore areas at the tops of her wings from that big collar. The collars were a life saver for her. Without them she would never have healed and I believe she would have died from the mutilation.
Thank you so much. The t-shirts are wonderful and she is so comfortable with just a t-shirt. After all she has lived through the t-shirts are something positive added to her life. She is beautiful and she looks so pretty in her t-shirts. She does not hurt herself anymore. You were a life saver.

#192323 - 02/06/09 06:59 PM Re: Noelle [Re: Desertrain]  
katy girl Offline
Lives Here
katy girl  Offline
Lives Here

Katy, Texas
EM, I just read all the articles on Noelle, I was so touched by the photos, especially when she met Echo. You have been a wonderful mother and Noelle is so lucky to have you. Thank you for all you have done for her. I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. I am going to try the sweater on my coco. I didn't have much luck with the T shirt. She has not mutilated herself, there is still some fuzz on her chest but she has started on the top of her back and her legs are completely bare. She is small so I thought I would try to find a a childs sweater to try on her.

#192386 - 02/07/09 06:32 PM Re: Noelle [Re: katy girl]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
February 7th

Yesterday marked Noelle’s 6 week anniversary here and visit #4 to our AV.

Her skin is improving, but not as much as we had hoped. It is still VERY traumatized. Last visit, Dr. M tried some cortisone cream (which cannot be used on a regular basis). This time a mixture of Emu oil (yes from the bird) and DMSO (anti-inflammatory agents) were used, and massaged into her skin. We are hoping that this will moisturize her skin and promote healing. The trauma to her skin is not from current mutilating, but a result of years of trauma. As Charlie mentioned earlier, avian skin is very thin, and with hers being damaged from years of abuse, any type of friction results in chafing. The bandages she was in for the first 2 weeks until the hole in her chest healed caused the new irritation. Dr. M examined her dress very closely and because the fabric is so soft inside and no inner seams against her skin, there is no new damage, but she is just taking a long time to heal.

Good news is that she tested negative for Giardia, which she was diagnosed with at the sanctuaries AV and I have been treating her for since she arrived. She's also gained just over 60 grams since being here too, which is more good news since she was terribly underweight.

If the Emu and DSMO work, I will be buying some for use here at home. If not, then Dr. M will try other alternatives. The lesions are superficial, but until we get her skin cleared up, she can’t come out of the dresses because she will undoubtedly begin picking at the imperfections which will in all likelihood, result in more mutilation. Our last option will be to collar her, which both my AV and I would like to avoid. There is marked improvement since the bandages came off and then dresses went on, but the healing process is still in earnest.

Jessah, I used your suggestion and used organic, feminine hygiene pads for her breast plate and encased them in sweatshirt material so the inside of the fabric is against her skin. I was so pleased, that I also made a back plate for her. The pads are body forming, soft and worked beautifully. Thanks for the great suggestion!

I took my camera with me yesterday so that I can document her progress, and share with everyone here. I am posting a warning - Noelle was sedated. For those of you that have never seen a bird sedated, it may be a little unsettling to see for the first time. The little helmet over her face, is how the anesthesia is administered. She was not in a deep, coma like state, but just under in a “twilight sleep”. Here are the pictures taken yesterday.

Front
Front2
Back
Rump Yeah – she’s growing some down!!!
Dr M rubbing the Emu and DSMO oils in
All done

I want to thank each of you for all the kinds words and support as we embark on the journey to Noelle's healing - having all of you here is a great sense of comfort. The journey will undoubtedly be a long one, but I knew that going in, and having her here, while heart-breaking at times (seeing her tatered little body), she is a source of great pride and joy. She's here to stay, regardless of what challenges lie ahead. Even though it's only been 6 weeks since she's been here, I cannot imagine life without her!

She has an awesome personality and is quite a funny girl. Echo continues to fill the role of nursemaid and Noelle worships the ground she walks on.

#192388 - 02/07/09 07:17 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Noelle is beautiful. Her eyes tell all. So grateful she has found a soft place to land at last. Bless you.

Last edited by EchosMom; 02/10/09 08:22 AM. Reason: moving remainder of post to new thread
#192390 - 02/07/09 07:39 PM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Great update and pictures, thanks! You knew this wouldn't be a "quick fix" but I think she is doing remarkably well! smile

#192418 - 02/08/09 01:35 AM Re: Noelle [Re: Desertrain]  
Jessah Offline
Jessah  Offline

NSW, Australia
Oh her poor little skin. I'm so glad she's found her angel, thats you Em. She's meant to be in your care.

I'm happy the pads worked :-) I have another suggestion too next time she goes to the vet.

See if you can get some cream with manuka honey in it. Manuka honey is a natural product with great healing benefits. A lot of people aren't aware of the healing powers honey has.
My horse, just as an example has sensitive skin and I cleared up infection from a cut with honey (with advice from my vet of course!).

She looks like she's healing, you can see it in her eyes even though her body isn't showing it... yet

#192420 - 02/08/09 03:12 AM Re: Noelle [Re: Jessah]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
So happy Noelle had a good vet report. Glad she doesn't have that nasty o'parasite. So, did you all have pizza or spaghetti for supper? I was thinking you all could smell like garlic. (DMSO smells like garlic to me.)

Her poor skin looks like it's been though a case of shingles.

Question: Noelle's dresses, do you launder them or do you have to have a new one for each change?

Snuggles for Nurse Echo and an almond (in lieu of a lollipop)for Noelle

Thanks for the update and pictures.

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#192421 - 02/08/09 03:12 AM Re: Noelle [Re: Jessah]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Noelle looks so much better!! She's really progressing quickly with your care and the vets. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#192422 - 02/08/09 04:03 AM Re: Noelle [Re: BE2Cassie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Jessah, I will ask my AV about the Manuka Honey cream for sure!

Denise, Noelle gets a new dress everytime because they are cut from the cuff down to the shoulder. I'm not about to try to pull it back through her head in the opposite direction the feathers lay. I could sew them back together, but I want to eliminate as many seams (inside and outside as possible).

I do launder the sleeves before I make her dresses, but not with any detergent or soaps, or fabric softeners. I throw them in the washer on small load, add some GSE and run them on a hot wash and cold rinse to remove any factory gunk. I add a little more GSE during the rinse cycle, then hang them to dry in the sun, then repeat.

And yes, Dr. M prepared me for the garlic smell of the DMSO. LOL!!!- She smells like SWEET garlic though! smile

#192426 - 02/08/09 05:54 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
Noelle is looking good!! Nice weight from what I saw smile

I was a bit confused though - about the use of DMSO with her.
It sounded familiar... Used it on racehorses years ago when I worked with them. Yes it REEKS like garlic!! I remember it being primarily a 'carrying agent' for whatever 'rub' used.

* Wikipedia
"DMSO is commonly used in veterinary medicine as a liniment for horses, alone or in combination with other ingredients. In the latter case, often, the intended function of the DMSO is as a solvent, to carry the other ingredients across the skin. "

Learn something new every day!!

Interesting link: DMSO Medical Uses

Last edited by Liisa B; 02/08/09 06:02 AM. Reason: better info
#192427 - 02/08/09 05:55 AM Noelle [Re: Liisa B]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Awww, Janet, Noelle has such a sweet look on her face! Bless her heart, it just makes me cringe to think of all she has suffered! Thank goodness she has found her true home with you!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#192429 - 02/08/09 06:45 AM Re: Noelle [Re: Liisa B]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Liisa, that's a great link - better than any of the ones I have found so far. Thanks!

(DMSO is also known for it's anti-inflammatory efficacy.)

#192476 - 02/09/09 03:10 AM Re: Noelle [Re: EchosMom]  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
I haven't had anything to really add but wanted to let you know that I've been following Noelle's story and check it daily for new updates. She remains and always will be in my thoughts and prayers, I know shes in great hands and I can't thank you enough for all you've done for her! smile

Some years ago when we had a litter of rescue pups come in with severe skin issues we worked closely with our local pharmacy and came up with an awesome all natural "butt paste" that worked wonderfully at healing as well as moisturizing the skin. I'll do some digging and see if I can find it. Who knows maybe it might work for Noelle too.

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
Page 3 of 48 1 2 3 4 5 47 48

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny