Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#188957 - 12/31/08 07:46 AM A Moluccan Rescue Story  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Some of you may have noticed I've been a little quiet lately.

Through one of our wonderful volunteers at the sanctuary, an SOS came in for an M2 in terrible need. As we all know, the entire history of rescues is usually sketchy, but what we do know is that Noelle was banished to an outdoor shed because of the death of her primary caretaker. The spouse couldn’t be bothered and wanted her out of the home. Sometime later she was re-homed to another, older and well meaning couple, who knew nothing of caring for these magnificient creatures. An acquaintance of the then caretakers (who were trying to make a buck off her back by selling her), contacted one of our volunteers and arranged for a visit. Our volunteer was able to convince the owner to surrender Noelle to the sanctuary. Out of the goodness of their hearts, the husband and wife team volunteers agreed to foster Noelle also. Because she was in such bad shape, she was immediately taken to SEAVS (the sanctuaries vet) and was given a complete, comprehensive workup. Noelle has lived on bread with gobs of butter and salted, roasted peanuts as far back as we could determine from her history. Remarkablly, she tested negative for all infectious diseases and besides being malnourished and underweight is otherwise heatlhy. Noelle is a plucker and a mutilator. As with most stories such as hers, the details of exactly when this little girl’s stress meter went into the red (overload) zone is not known. What her previous life was like, we do not know either. It has been confirmed by her band that she is an import, so we suspect that the majority of her life may have been horrific as well. As told to us, the first couple had her for 6 years.

Noelle did great with her new foster family for the first few weeks. They offered her an open cage environment and worked in earnest to work towards correcting her diet. Then she began back-sliding . Noelle wasn’t sleeping at night, had begun picking at her wound (that was almost healed) and was vocializing excessively. Her foster home was with experienced, caring bird people, but no direct experience with cockatoos. Out of their love for her, they un-selflessly decided that possibly their home wasn’t what Noelle needed. Besides fostering birds, and all other kinds of animals when needed, they also foster special needs children under the age of 6, which was also of concern. Their love for Noelle, made giving her up a difficult decision and they had a heart to heart talk with Matt. Matt asked me if the foster arrangement didn’t work out, would I consider taking her. I tentatively agreed, pending my AV’s review of her records and his blessings.

Things happened a little more quickly than any of us planned. Noelle’s mutiliation started again and I was asked on Christmas Eve evening, if I would meet Noelle and her foster dad in GA on Friday (the day after Xmas) and bring her home. It took a little scrambling, but I was able to prepare for her arrival and left Friday AM for GA.

She’s had a rough life, but she’s been given a great, fresh start. She was rescued, fostered, cared for by two very compassionate individuals that love her very much. And now she's been cared for by two of the best AV’s ’s in the country, the sanctuaries AV, Dr. Stahl and my AV, Dr. Murphy. And now, thanks to all involved, the sweet, sweet girl’s future has been entrusted to me. She's doing well and she is a SWEETHEART!!

I have no first hand experience with a mutilator, so I am hoping to hear from lots of you with experiences to share. And In turn, as Noelle and I embark on our journey, I will share whatever experiences we have. I have a wonderful AV who is fully supportive and we will be exploring some homeopathic and holistic treatment plans, playing second fiddle to getting her converted to a good diet.

I want to express a special thank you to Lisa and Dave (her rescuers). I know how much you love her and always will. Without your quick intervention Noelle would have surely endured much more suffering, and most likely self-destructed. YOU are her heroes!

Here are some pictures:

Rescue Day http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/?action=view&current=HollyRescueDay.jpg

Her old cage http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/117_0626.jpg

After seeing Dr. Stahl (the sanctuaries AV) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/33.jpg

In her foster home: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/Holly1.jpg

With her foster dad: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/Head_Bobbing.jpg

Her wings: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/HollyWing.jpg

Her back: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/HollyBack.jpg

Her body: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/Noelle008.jpg

Missing all the toes on her left foot http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/Noelle006.jpg - My AV believes that she's an import because the wound is typical of the females foot being mamed and then glued to a tree to attract males (the cries of the females attract the males). We discussed the possibility of self-mutilitation, but Dr M says that it is the classic disfiguring seen in female imports.

First day home with me: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/Dec282.jpg

Happy in her sleep cage: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/Dec286.jpg

Sweet Noelle: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/Dec283.jpg

Back from my AV’s re-bandaged: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/Bandages001.jpg She was given sedation to calm her because she was very dirty. She is much cleaner but her tail feathers are stained with rust. As she was coming out of sedation, she begam flapping her wings wildly and banged up her shouldres and broke some blood flight feathers. So now the edges of her wings are taped as well for protection.

Since Noelle was quarantined in VA and had a comprehensive workup before arriving here, after my AV reviewed her records and examined her, introducing her to my birds was authorized.

Enjoy the small slide show entitled “The Meeting of 2 M2’s”. Bev (Zazu Sally) wrote me and said that she bet those few minutes of interaction with Echo did Noelle more good than any human could in 50 years. I agree with that! Both my 18 y/o daughter and I were RIGHT there, ready to intervene if things "went south". http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Echosmom/?action=view&current=5e618e5c.pbw

ETA: Lisa (foster mom) asked me to please mention this for her in the hopes that it may stop people from buying a 'Too.
Quote:
I am an experienced amazon owner who has fostered, macaws, conures, quakers, dogs, and cats, rescued Holly [Noelle], but even I could not properly care for her and I'm a "stay at home pet mom" and was home with her all the time. Having a cockatoo is serious business! Oh, I really hate cockatoo breeders the most after having Holly [Noelle] for a few weeks. These birds really need to be with their own flock, for their life's sake... and even that does not always help a cockatoo that has been traumatized.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#188958 - 12/31/08 08:20 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

That poor sweet little girl, tears just welled up as I read her sad story and looked at all her pics. The slide show brought me to tears. Noelle truly is blessed in finding someone as special as you to care for her, and show her what human love can truly be.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#188959 - 12/31/08 08:26 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Meri Offline
Meri  Offline

Evansville, WI
Mother of God!

Thank you so much for stepping up and taking her in. I am gonna go and cry for this bird for a while. It is a mixed batch of tears. Sad for the horrible times in her past, relieved and happy that she is with you.

Wow!

#188966 - 12/31/08 01:09 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Meri]  
Cleo's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Cleo's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Key West, Florida
Lucky Noelle! Hopefully she can recover from her years of unhappiness. I've read many of your posts and I'm sure you're the person to help her find contentment.

Pat

One Day At A Time
#188969 - 12/31/08 02:21 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Janet like I have said before....I have every confidence in you.You are amazing with your birds and Noelle is fortunate to have found her way to you.I love that she has her flock now.Human and Bird flock.It is so nice to see!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#188970 - 12/31/08 02:28 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
EM I'm positive that Noelle will settle in beautifully with your family and finally know that she is safe and loved. Best of luck to you and Noelle.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#188971 - 12/31/08 02:31 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Cleo's Mom]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Look at sweet Echo telling Noelle, "It's OK, your safe here now, we'll take care of you!" Dr. Janet and Nurse Echo you have a enormous case in front of you but the Universal Sovereign knew where to send her. Noelle, your silent prayers have been answered, humanity will never torture you again!

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#188976 - 12/31/08 03:24 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Brandy's mom]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Noelle finally has found somewhere to land. I'm glad she's found you to live out the rest of her days with. You'll be amazing with her and she'll know health and love for perhaps the first time in her life. Thank you EM

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#188977 - 12/31/08 03:27 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Brandy's mom]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
What a wonderful story at this time of year; truly a Xmas micracle for this bird. After all she has been through, it is a wonder that she would let anyone touch or hold her. It is a tribute to you that she has given you her trust.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#188979 - 12/31/08 03:38 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: RB2sMom]  
bambu101 Offline
bambu101  Offline

Noelle is very fortunate to have found a new home with you. I am sure she will be happy and will absolutely love being part of your flock!

#188980 - 12/31/08 03:42 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: spinnyspoo]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Her future is bright, EM. You will have all the support you need from this board.

Bev

The meeting of Echo and Noelle is a wondrous and beautiful thing.

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#188989 - 12/31/08 05:02 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: ZazuSally]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Wow, Janet!! What a lucky turn of events for sweet Noelle to land in your loving home! You are a wonderful person with a heart of gold! Bless you for taking in this sweet baby who I know will thrive in your care! The slide show of Echo and Noelle moved me to tears - Happy tears grin

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#188998 - 12/31/08 06:12 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: MissYumYum]  
tristian Offline
tristian  Offline

amelia, virginia
Bless her heart. i know she is in good hands now and will suffer no more. what a great christmas present. for her and you EM. i'm glad you M2 is taking to her he can help in her recovery.
helen

May your Birds out live You.Only in caring Hands.
#189015 - 12/31/08 09:19 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: tristian]  
Liisa B Offline
Lives Here
Liisa B  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
"The meeting of Echo and Noelle is a wondrous and beautiful thing"
Yep - pictures say it all smile

#189017 - 12/31/08 09:32 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Liisa B]  
Belongs2Sammy Offline
Lives Here
Belongs2Sammy  Offline
Lives Here

This is a wonderful story - I am glad she is finally home. It is so amazing how she can be so loving considering what she has been through. Thank you Janet and Echo!!

#189030 - 12/31/08 11:15 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Belongs2Sammy]  
nanuk Offline
nanuk  Offline

Pueblo,CO U.S.A.
Janet, I'm sure that Noelle will heal and learn that all humans are not abusive morons. That hole in her chest looks like she was trying to get to her heart because she was so miserable. The pictures of her after you got her showed a little spark in her eye(like hope) but the pics. of her meeting Echo and seeing how healthy and happy he is showed some major spark. After she heals that chest wound hopefully she won't pick anymore.

When a child self-mutilates it's usually because they are trying to vent their pain in a way that they can control. As they become more sure of not having someone causing pain it can become worse for them or a while. But with time and understanding most cutters came around and have a good full life.
Don't know if this is true with your precious baby but IMHO the same thing will happen for you. Good Luck and call me if you need any extra support cause I'll be here.

Terry
#189058 - 01/01/09 02:26 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: bambu101]  
whitewings56 Offline
whitewings56  Offline

rome, Italy
How can people be so unicivilised, how can you keep an animal in those conditions. I would put the person who keep Noelle that way in in that cage in similar conditions. Thank goodness she was rescued and has found a wonderful new home.

#189060 - 01/01/09 02:37 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: nanuk]  
umbimom Offline
umbimom  Offline

central PA
Janet, what a precious one Noelle is. I am so glad she made her way to you. It is so sad to know what some of these feathered angels go through. Bless you for taking her. I know she couldn't have found a better home to heal. If anyone can teach a bird that humans can love and not be abusive, it is you. She also has a great feathered friend in Echo. Keep us posted on her. Sharon

#189089 - 01/01/09 06:59 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: umbimom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Thank you everyone for all the kind words, well wishes and support!!

Noelle is starting to come out of her shell and explore a little bit. Her day cage door has been opened 24/7 and she's went in a total of twice now, just to look around and scurry back to the top of her cage. I put her in the alcove section of the familyroom because of the low ceiling so she would feel safe and secure. It's where all new 'Toos begin life here. They have full view of not only the familyroom, but my bedroom, the bathroom and 1/2 the kitchen. She's getting lots of ambient attention just as the other do, but a few times yesterday, and once already this morning she's wandered down off the top of her cage and done a little walk-about over to me. A few minutes of full head pets and she's ready to go back on top of her cage. She LOVES her sleep cage and let's me know when she's ready for bed.

She's been monkeying a bit with her bandages, but seems to have gotten them into a comfortable position and is now leaving them alone for the most part. She's chewed all the openings a little bigger - around her neck and wings and belly, but her wound is covered, and that's what is important. Dr M told me to expect her to fiddle with it at first, but that most likely once she got it "comfy" she would leave it alone. So it's looking like we won't be running back every few days to have the bandage changed. I don't have a problem doing it, but so early in our relationship I would rather let someone else be the bad guy for now.

Once we get Noelle's wound completely healed, including no scab, the bandages will be removed and we will watch and wait.

As I have mentioned my AV also practices homeopathy and holistic medicine, expecially in the case of feather pickers and mutilators when there are no medical causes.

Noelle is currently being supplemented with a mixture of:

GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) 400 mg
Lemon Balm Leaf 100 mg
Motherwort Herb Extract 4:1 100 mg
Passion Flower Extract 100 mg
Black Cohosh Root 50 mg
Chamomile Flower Extract (1.2% apigenin) 50 mg
Skullcap Herb Extract 4:1 50 mg
Valerian Root Extract (0.8 valerenic acid) 40 mg
Vitamin B1 (as thiamine HCl) 35 mg
Hops Strobile Extract 4:1 30 mg
Ashwagandha Root Extract 5:1 20 mg
Kava Kava Root Extract (30% kavalactones) 20 mg
L-Theanine (Suntheanine®) 15 mg
Lecithin 8 mg
Flower Essence 500 mcg

Additionally, she is receiving a supplement that I have used for the past 6-7 years for all my birds that my AV makes. It's a combination of Rainforest nutraceuticals, Proxeronine and Noni extract, The Missing Link and Lakes Lacto-Plus, which is a probiotic.

We'll see how she does on this and if she begins mutilating again, my AV will continue trying different combinations of essences and natural rememdies until we find the balance that's right for her. Of course there are no guarantees with any of this, and there is a possibility that the mutilation is something we will have to deal with on a regular basis. But we're hopeful.

And of course, having a flock may be just what the "doctor ordered" as well. Echo is still reaching out to her and like you said Brandy's Mom she has assumed the role of "nurse". It's really cute to watch. Echo isn't hovering over her, but yesterday I passed out a small piece mango to everyone for an afternoon snack. Echo took hers and climbed onto Noelle's cage and dropped her piece into Noelle's food bowl. What was the sweetest about it is Echo normally flys everywhere. I know in my heart that Echo knew if she flew onto of Noelle's cage, her sudden presence would startle Noelle, so instead she walked over and climbed up the cage to let Noelle know that she was coming.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#189090 - 01/01/09 07:11 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
That is quite a mixture! I'm wondering why particular things are not tried individually at first, or at least a simple compound of a couple of those like Valerian and Hops. It would seem that it would be easier to isolate the most effective ingredient that way but I suppose it would vary for individual patients. Maybe your doctor has just found that a comprehensive mixture works better generally. I was just curious, that is very interesting and I hope it all goes well. Also, with that mixture, it seems there might be a very real possibility of over sedating a bird. Is that something you just have to watch for and the compound is adjusted? Sorry to be so curious but I find homeopathy very interesting and am not offering any criticism. smile

#189093 - 01/01/09 07:57 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
The blend she is currently receiving is in tablet form and manufactured by Renew Life and marketed as "Healthy Calm". http://www.vitacost.com/Renew-Life-Healthy-Calm-60-Chewable-Tablets#IngredientFacts.

All of Renew Life's pet supplements have been formulated by Dr. Murphy himself. He's been practicing holistic/homeopathy veterinary medicine for over 25 years. This particular blend is not "marketed" for birds, but Joel says he has had great success with it in his avian patients as well. There is no risk of over sedation based on the appropriate compounds in each tablet. I cut a tablet in 1/2, crush it and then sprinkle it over her food, or tuck it inside a small piece of whole grain bread with a little almond butter. So she's actually getting 1/2 daily of the ingredients listed.

Joel says that if the mutilating continues, we will pull her off of the Calm and he will try some other combinations. And don't apologize, I'm glad for the questions, because this is unchartered waters for me as well. While they were cleaning Noelle up the 2nd time and bringing her back out of sedation, Joel and I sat in his office and talked for about 30 minutes. He told me that he believes there is a natural treatment/cure for just about everything, but it's finding the right combination. And of course since it's impossible to get a "constitution" on an animal (they can't tell us how they feel)
it gets tricky. He said he will keep watching her progress and he will make adjustments accordingly and hopefully we'll find just the right combination. He has shelf after shelf of all kinds natural essences, extracts.

He has recently began exploring the use of crystals on 3 mutilating cockatoos. The crystals look like a poker chip and he is running his own trial, to see if the crystal inserted inside the dressing speed up the healing process and/or having any lasting effects. He said that one particular crystal has shown marked improvement in clinicial trials of children with severe ADD - he said the effects are remarkable!

When Noelle goes in for her followup, I will also be picking up a packet that Dr. M is putting together for me with lots of literature, research and lectures on holistic medicine.

I too am fascinated by it all and interested in learning more.

#189094 - 01/01/09 08:02 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Charlie]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I know nothing about holistic medicines but I am totally impressed with that list. I want to learn more about it, I have always believed in natural first so this just makes since to me. My grandparents and Mom were big on "home remedies" and they worked!

I am so happy to hear that Noelle is settling in nicely, however I knew that in your experienced care she would do well. It is especially wonderful to hear how Echo is responding towards her. That just further solidifies my beliefs in how much love and compassion these beautiful creatures possess.

Deborah

#189100 - 01/01/09 09:11 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Compliments of one of my best friends - GOOGLE!!

GABA - a natural relaxant to induce relaxation and diminish anxiety. GABA administration enhances immunity under stress conditions.

LEMON BALM - Combined with other calming herbs (such as valerian, hops, chamomile) helps reduce anxiety

MOTHERWART - an herb for calming the nerves and bringing a feeling of tranquility

PASSION FLOWER - relieves anxiety, insomnia, and related nervous disorders

BLACK COHOSH - believed to reduce high hormones

CHAMOMILE FLOWER - The essential oil from the chamomile flower in particular promotes soothing and can reduce irritation.

SKULLCAP - used in connection with anxiety, nervous tension, muscle spasms, PMS-related symptoms, tension headaches, restless legs syndrome, insomnia, and mild Tourette's syndrome.

VALERIAN ROOT - An anti-convulsant, sedative, pain reliever

HOPS - has anti-microbial activities against the Gram-positive bacterial (Bacillus subtillis and Staphylococcus aureus) and the fungus (Trichophyton mentagrophytes var. interdigtale)

VITAMIN B1 - Also known as thiamin, helps fuel your body by converting blood sugar into energy. It keeps mucous membranes healthy and is essential for nervous system, cardiovascular and muscular function.

ASHWAGANDA ROOT - - Antioxidant

L-THEANINE - helps the body's immune response to infection by boosting the disease-fighting capacity of gamma delta T-cells

LECITHIN - Beneficial in many ways, including enhancement of metabolism and immune function.

FLOWER ESSENCES - act to balance inharmonies in the emotional and spiritual body, and bring about a gentle healing by bringing the body back in balance with itself. They act almost as catalysts to cause healing.

#189101 - 01/01/09 09:28 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
HHHHMMMMMM very interesting. I will have to do some more reading when I have time. smile

Jan

#189102 - 01/01/09 09:39 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Janny]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

TYSM EM, there are several things on this list that sound as if I should add them on a daily basis to my own vitamin regimen grin. We already take several natural vitamins (hubby insists I am trying to kill him), however he does take them all lol.

definitely gonna do some more research on these, ty again!

Deborah

#189104 - 01/01/09 11:05 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
We have tried "Pluck No More" with Harry our hormonal hyperactive 5 yo RB2. It does help calm him down. This appears to be a holistic type thing as well. Our vet said it was OK to use. It does not make him perfect as far as behavior, but it does moderate it somewhat, and he is plucking a lot less. This is the 3rd time in almost 6 years that I have used it.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#189107 - 01/02/09 12:30 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Charlie]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
I'm glad this girl found such a great home with you smile
It looks like she has been plucking for a very long time, it just boggles my mind trying to come up with a reason someone would just leave her like that smirk

Do you think she'll ever grow feathers or down back in, or has she done too much damage? She's beautiful even naked anyway of course smile

#189110 - 01/02/09 12:56 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Cidsa]  
birdsrule Offline
birdsrule  Offline

Syracuse, New York
Like the others I had major tears reading this, what a Christmas Miracle that you were guided to her. I bet that hug from you and meeting her new feathered sister did much to heal her soul..the meds will heal her wounds but you will be the one to heal her heart and soul!

Best wishes to you and all your family on this new and very special journey!

Cathy

Last edited by birdsrule; 01/02/09 12:56 AM.
#189113 - 01/02/09 01:50 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: birdsrule]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
EM you are such an ANGEL! I'm sure she will blossom like a flower under your & Echo's loving care . : )

Donna
Free as a bird???
#189136 - 01/02/09 08:00 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Donnalee]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Please do your research, or consult with a professional before you start a vitamin or herbal regime... They are NOT benign and can have other effects, strains on organs etc....

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#189140 - 01/02/09 09:29 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: spinnyspoo]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: spinnyspoo
Please do your research, or consult with a professional before you start a vitamin or herbal regime... They are NOT benign and can have other effects, strains on organs etc....

Absolutely!! Holistic medicine is not for amateurs.

Susanne, my AV and I talked about "PNM" - it is holistic treatment and he said for some birds it works very well. Cidsa, both AV's agree that she has a long history of feaather plucking and there will be little, if any, feather regrowth because of extensive follicle damage. But we can hope!

Thanks again everyone for all the kind words and support. She is definitely a Christmas angel, that's for sure and is why we named her Noelle, which means "christmas time". At some point in time her name was Ollie, but she had no name association whatsoever. When Lisa rescued her she began calling her Holly, because it rhymed and because of the holiday season. Holly is a beautiful name, but someone named Holly caused considerable pain in my life previously, so I decided because of the lack of name association that I would re-name her Noelle.

#189144 - 01/02/09 02:51 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Stormy Offline
Stormy  Offline

PA
I just want to add my own thanks to you EM for taking Noelle into your heart and home to give her a new lease on life. You and your family are so caring and loving to do this. I hope everything will work out and Noelle will have peace being with you.

Owned by birds and loving it!!
Terri
#189180 - 01/03/09 03:49 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Stormy]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
The story made me cry...thanks for sharing! Noelle is a perfect name for your little Christmas "gift"! The holistic treatment is interesting & I am looking forward to see if it helps...even a little! Pluck No More didn't help us at all. Chamomile tea was encouraging. Brewster's plucking has seemed to be to his legs. But no mutilating...

Gail
#189272 - 01/04/09 05:30 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Bird Mom]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

Oh MY GOSH.. What a story, Janet. How fortunate for this poor, abused girl to have fallen into your hands. Her tale did make me cry for her and all of the birds with the same kind of history.I see these pictures and hear the histories and I just can't believe humans are sooo vicious. Really... breaking a foot and GLUING the bird to a tree.. Just the thought of that... screaming... unsucessful beating of wings in struggle. You are truly making a difference here...Best of luck with her rehab..
and thank you.

#189301 - 01/05/09 02:15 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Winter's mom]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I woke up in the middle of the night after I looked at Noelle's pictures because it gave me a nightmare from Hell. The poor doll is like real trooper induring all that torture. And look at her cuddling up to EM after all of that. She must be having dreams now that she is saved by an angel and then wakes up and realizes IT'S TRUE! How wonderful! : )

Donna
Free as a bird???
#189407 - 01/06/09 02:09 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Donnalee]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Thanks again everyone!

We went back today to my AV today for a 1 week re-check and new dressings. Noelle's wound is healing nicely but there is another spot on her lower abdomen beginning. She hasn't been ripping skin/flesh off but fussing with it and it looks as though from her fussing with her bandages and them shifting it was rubbing her skin a litte, causing her to fuss with it more. No open wound, just a little redness. So the bandage went a little lower this time. As suspected, there is NO evidence of new feather growth. In the few hours that we've been home she's fussing with this bandage even more and is doing a good job of pulling the cotton gauzing out from underneath the wrap. Sigh...

She has settled in very nicely and really enjoys Echo. They have quite the blossoming friendship. Noelle wasn't chewing wood in her foster home, but Echo has shown her how much fun it is, and yesterday I hooked a natural wood toy to the dome top of Noelle's cage and with her and one end and Echo at the other, they demolished it in no time. She's eating well and trying all kinds of new things and we're found some nice, healthy favorites this past week. And she's even flying a few feet - smart girl that she has left her flights intact!!!

Once the wound is completely healed, and she quites fussing with the bandages so much, we are then going to try using a Sock Buddy instead. I downloaded the e-file and will be practicing not only the making, but putting them on with Echo as a live model. Joel and I talked today, and we may start with the Sock Buddy while the bandages are still on unti she gets used to wearing them and quits fiddling with them so much. The mutilation is the cycle that needs to be broken, so we are hopeful with the natural meds, a good diet, enriched environment, required amount of sleep, and a flock to call her own, she won't have the time, or desire to injure herself.

Considering all she's been through she is a sweet and loving bird. Always ready for a full head pet. She's vocalizing, including lots of sweet whistles. Her vocalizations are much different that Echo's, which I attribute to her being a wildcaught. She sounds exactly what the M2's I've heard vocalizing on the Indonesia Parrot Project.

#189414 - 01/06/09 03:11 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Glad to hear things are going well for Noelle. I am so happy she has Echo now. the tow of them are going to be best buds I am sure. Echo has a big job to show her all the things she has been missing out on.lol.

Jan

#189415 - 01/06/09 03:16 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
What an amazing adventure! I cried thinking about this baby's past. But I'm excited for her future! You are awesome! Please keep some sort of documentary as you are able....a little piece of history. It's so cool that Noelle enjoys Echo's company. That sure must make things easier to cope with. Your updates are fascinating...

Gail
#189416 - 01/06/09 03:16 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Janny]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Janet that's a great update! So happy to hear that Noelle is settling in so quickly.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#189422 - 01/06/09 03:30 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Meri Offline
Meri  Offline

Evansville, WI
How cool that she and Echo get along! I'm also glad that things are going well. Hopefully she will forget about mutilating. How are you holding up?

#189458 - 01/06/09 12:18 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Meri]  
bambu101 Offline
bambu101  Offline

Sounds like things are going well and that Noelle is enjoying her new friendship with Echo. Glad to hear that she is settling in so nicely.

#189462 - 01/06/09 02:32 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: bambu101]  
tristian Offline
tristian  Offline

amelia, virginia
Janet it great that she has you to help her through what was the worst time in her life. and now she has the rest of her life to heal and be happy. and echo has a new friend that he can nurse.
helen

May your Birds out live You.Only in caring Hands.
#189474 - 01/06/09 04:22 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: tristian]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Thanks everyone.

Meri, thanks for asking - I am doing just fine! I knew going in that a long journey was before us, and it is one that I am fully prepared to travel, come what may.

Helen, Echo is a girl also - which makes the friendship between them perfect in my eyes - platonic. And as all we women know, sisterhood goes a long way!!!

#189484 - 01/06/09 06:30 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Yes! Thanks for the update. Looks like we all love her vicariously!! :-))

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#189487 - 01/06/09 06:57 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: EchosMom
And she's even flying a few feet - smart girl that she has left her flights intact!!!

PTL! : ) I'm SOOO happy to hear that!

Donna
Free as a bird???
#189504 - 01/06/09 11:48 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Brandy's mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Brandy's mom
Looks like we all love her vicariously!! :-))

You're right! What's not to love! smile

#189547 - 01/07/09 03:55 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Meri Offline
Meri  Offline

Evansville, WI
Janet,

I am so glad that you are doing well. I worried that even though you are committed to help Noelle, her needs for everything might be so intense and great that you were approaching a "twitch and drool" point as you attempted to meet them.

Ya gotta care for the carer, you know? I just wanted to make sure you were OK too. Do I need to send you chocolate?

#189590 - 01/07/09 06:38 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Meri]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

It sounds like she's making progress in leaps and bounds already. Keep up the good work Janet, and please keep us informed. THIS might be a GREAT story for animal planet... show people that not all cockatoos end up with a career like Snowball's and let people know what the fluffy beautiful cockatoo they buy in a pet store might end up looking like without the proper care.(Even though WE think she's beautiful)

Last edited by Winter's mom; 01/07/09 06:38 AM.
#189609 - 01/07/09 06:10 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Meri]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Meri
Do I need to send you chocolate?

I'm not a chocolate (sweets) person, but lobster will do, ROFL! Seriously though, except for her physical issues, Noelle is an easy bird (for a cockatoo), which is not unusual for an import. They know they are birds and I'm sure this is why she found her way into the flock here so readily. They are the ones that are teaching her to play with toys, chew wood and eat lots of new things! It's a family affair - LOL! And of course, alot of credit goes to the wonderful AV's that have been caring for her. My AV calls to check-in with us every other day.

Cheryl, I wish that Animal Planet and other media sources would provide equal (actually greater coverage) of stories like Noelle's also. Noelle is just 1 bird amoung countless others, who have suffered, or worse, are still suffering by the hands of humans. When we saw my AV the other day, I mentioned to him that I noticed the area around Noelle's nares darkening a bit and I was concerned if it was a discharge, but that it wasn't wet and she hadn't been sneezing. He said, yes it was a slight discharge, but a good one, because her body is eliminating the filth that she had been breathing for so long, and her nares were cleaning themselves out.

I will definitely keep everyone updated on her progress, and I have started a journal to record her progress and am taking lots of pictures. smile

#189612 - 01/07/09 07:19 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I have such mixed feelings every time I read about Noelle. I am so very happy that she is doing so well and yet so sad to know all that she went through, and know how many others are suffering the same or worse. Noelle could truly be our poster child for this board. Her story is one that everyone should know. While I believe that Noelle is a special little angel, so is the one that was chosen to care for her now!

Deborah

#189630 - 01/08/09 03:05 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
Wow!!!! I just got the chance to look at the pics and read all of this........Will Noel, or Holly, ever grow her feathers back or is there no hope of that?

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#189634 - 01/08/09 04:35 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Chewy]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Hi Erin, it's good to see you again!!! Because of Noelle's long history of feather pulling/mutilation the follicles have been permanently destroyed and no new feather growth is expected.

#189635 - 01/08/09 04:44 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
Thanks!!!!
Oh man it's too bad that they won't grow back. But hey she's loved now and that's all that matters. She seems to be a sweet heart from the pics.

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#189688 - 01/08/09 11:58 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Chewy]  
Shiloh Offline
Shiloh  Offline

Glencoe, OK
It is sad to know what these beautiful creatures go through, but heart warming to see people like you that will take them in and give them a new hope of life. After looking and reading all this it makes me wonder if the one that I have was not a import, due to the fact that he/she is missing toes on the left foot as well. Now I know why she would seem to get angry when I would say pretty boy. LOL At least my husband kept saying she would.

#189710 - 01/09/09 02:10 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Shiloh]  
ToniJ Offline
ToniJ  Offline

Tasmania, Australia
I just looked at your photos, and it seems that Echo, is just as much an angel as Echosmom, knowing that reaching out with TLC was the only way. There should be more Echos and Echosmos in the world, Toni

#189715 - 01/09/09 05:37 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: ToniJ]  
katy girl Offline
Lives Here
katy girl  Offline
Lives Here

Katy, Texas
Please keep us posted. I just saw the article and your pictures. It made me cry. I am so happy you have her, also hearing about the herbs that she is taking. How sad that her feathers will never grow back but she is beautiful just as she is.

#190015 - 01/13/09 01:56 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: katy girl]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I will definitely keep everyone updated on Noelle's progress.

The bandages are holding up much better this time - my AV said that eventually her fussing with them should diminish, and as always, he's right. I am going to take her in later this week and we'll access the healing of the wound, and if the scab is gone, off go the bandages and on goes a sock-buddy.

My AV and I have discussed bandaging her one more time with the sock buddy over it. The hopes in doing this are that since the sweater will be much easier for her to destroy, that another week or two with bandages underneath will help her realize that destroying the sock is futile.

Meanwhile, I'm making lots of deposits into her "bank/trust account", because getting the sweater on isn't going to be an easy task, without her complete trust in me. I've been doing lots of similar handling - stretching and holding her feet and wings in preparation. smile

As far as Noelle's personality, she's a great bird. In spite of her past, she's very loving, trusting and very forgiving. And she's investigating more and more each day. The other day while I was sitting at my desk working I saw, what I thought was Alex walking across the floor to me to sit with me. Imagine my surprise when I looked down to see Noelle standing there with her foot up. She has been in her day cage (the door is always open) a total of 2 times since she's been here and only briefly. Although she has explored the inside of Echo and Alex's cage. Meanwhile, they have been exploring hers. She has a sleep cage in my room, which she has loved since day one. And right before bedtime, she has a bit of warm oatmeal (spoon fed), and I mix her Missing Link, plus the natural supplements my AV has her on, so that is going well too. And she's trying new foods, and liking most of them everyday.

I currently have her in a 40x40 dome top, but a local friend of mine who bought a new cage for her M2, gave me her old cage which has a playtop. So this weekend, I plan on getting that set up for her - I think she will enjoy the playtop much better.

I just want to thank everyone again for all the kinds words and moral support. And YES, feathers or not - SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!!

#190018 - 01/13/09 02:12 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Shiloh]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Shiloh
After looking and reading all this it makes me wonder if the one that I have was not a import, due to the fact that he/she is missing toes on the left foot as well.

I don't get it; what is the point of taking their toes off?

Donna
Free as a bird???
#190019 - 01/13/09 02:23 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Donnalee]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Donna, it is a common injury seen in imports, primarily females. The poachers amputate the toes of females and then either glue or chain them to a tree branch. The cries of the injured females attract the males, so they can be captured as well. Now, aren't you sorry you asked??? frown

Shiloh, are your birds missing toes even? Noelle's are, and this is why my AV suspects this is what happened. All of Noelle's are amputated uniformally. He said that if it was an injury or self-mutilation, the chances of them being so uniform is not likely.

#190058 - 01/13/09 07:14 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: EchosMom

As far as Noelle's personality, she's a great bird. In spite of her past, she's very loving, trusting and very forgiving. And she's investigating more and more each day. The other day while I was sitting at my desk working I saw, what I thought was Alex walking across the floor to me to sit with me. Imagine my surprise when I looked down to see Noelle standing there with her foot up.

What a wonderful moment that had to have been, to see her standing there with her lil foot held up! It so amazes me the love and trust these beautiful babies can show after so much sadness in their lives. Another testament to the Love and Care she is receiving from you Janet.

Deborah

#190072 - 01/13/09 10:24 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Awwww... so sweet! Didn't your heart just melt? I am so glad she is with you, Janet!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#190082 - 01/14/09 02:44 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: MissYumYum]  
Meri Offline
Meri  Offline

Evansville, WI
It is amazing what being loved and cared for can do.

#190403 - 01/18/09 05:42 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I have decided that I would like to “retire” this thread, and begin anew, with periodic updates about her in the Chat about your Cockatoo forum. Everyone has been so kind and supportive. It means more than I can express. Noelle's "rescue" is history. She's in a new home, with a new life and as I help her unpack her “baggage” it’s time to concentrate on the today, and her future. Not where she’s been. smile

Noelle updates

http://www.mytoos.com/noelle.shtml

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny