Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Maureen Lanan, 1 invisible), 86 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#189458 - 01/06/09 12:18 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Meri]  
bambu101 Offline
bambu101  Offline

Sounds like things are going well and that Noelle is enjoying her new friendship with Echo. Glad to hear that she is settling in so nicely.

#189462 - 01/06/09 02:32 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: bambu101]  
tristian Offline
tristian  Offline

amelia, virginia
Janet it great that she has you to help her through what was the worst time in her life. and now she has the rest of her life to heal and be happy. and echo has a new friend that he can nurse.
helen

May your Birds out live You.Only in caring Hands.
#189474 - 01/06/09 04:22 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: tristian]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Thanks everyone.

Meri, thanks for asking - I am doing just fine! I knew going in that a long journey was before us, and it is one that I am fully prepared to travel, come what may.

Helen, Echo is a girl also - which makes the friendship between them perfect in my eyes - platonic. And as all we women know, sisterhood goes a long way!!!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#189484 - 01/06/09 06:30 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Yes! Thanks for the update. Looks like we all love her vicariously!! :-))

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#189487 - 01/06/09 06:57 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: EchosMom
And she's even flying a few feet - smart girl that she has left her flights intact!!!

PTL! : ) I'm SOOO happy to hear that!

Donna
Free as a bird???
#189504 - 01/06/09 11:48 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Brandy's mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Brandy's mom
Looks like we all love her vicariously!! :-))

You're right! What's not to love! smile

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#189547 - 01/07/09 03:55 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Meri Offline
Meri  Offline

Evansville, WI
Janet,

I am so glad that you are doing well. I worried that even though you are committed to help Noelle, her needs for everything might be so intense and great that you were approaching a "twitch and drool" point as you attempted to meet them.

Ya gotta care for the carer, you know? I just wanted to make sure you were OK too. Do I need to send you chocolate?

#189590 - 01/07/09 06:38 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Meri]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

It sounds like she's making progress in leaps and bounds already. Keep up the good work Janet, and please keep us informed. THIS might be a GREAT story for animal planet... show people that not all cockatoos end up with a career like Snowball's and let people know what the fluffy beautiful cockatoo they buy in a pet store might end up looking like without the proper care.(Even though WE think she's beautiful)

Last edited by Winter's mom; 01/07/09 06:38 AM.
#189609 - 01/07/09 06:10 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Meri]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Meri
Do I need to send you chocolate?

I'm not a chocolate (sweets) person, but lobster will do, ROFL! Seriously though, except for her physical issues, Noelle is an easy bird (for a cockatoo), which is not unusual for an import. They know they are birds and I'm sure this is why she found her way into the flock here so readily. They are the ones that are teaching her to play with toys, chew wood and eat lots of new things! It's a family affair - LOL! And of course, alot of credit goes to the wonderful AV's that have been caring for her. My AV calls to check-in with us every other day.

Cheryl, I wish that Animal Planet and other media sources would provide equal (actually greater coverage) of stories like Noelle's also. Noelle is just 1 bird amoung countless others, who have suffered, or worse, are still suffering by the hands of humans. When we saw my AV the other day, I mentioned to him that I noticed the area around Noelle's nares darkening a bit and I was concerned if it was a discharge, but that it wasn't wet and she hadn't been sneezing. He said, yes it was a slight discharge, but a good one, because her body is eliminating the filth that she had been breathing for so long, and her nares were cleaning themselves out.

I will definitely keep everyone updated on her progress, and I have started a journal to record her progress and am taking lots of pictures. smile

#189612 - 01/07/09 07:19 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I have such mixed feelings every time I read about Noelle. I am so very happy that she is doing so well and yet so sad to know all that she went through, and know how many others are suffering the same or worse. Noelle could truly be our poster child for this board. Her story is one that everyone should know. While I believe that Noelle is a special little angel, so is the one that was chosen to care for her now!

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#189630 - 01/08/09 03:05 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
Wow!!!! I just got the chance to look at the pics and read all of this........Will Noel, or Holly, ever grow her feathers back or is there no hope of that?

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#189634 - 01/08/09 04:35 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Chewy]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Hi Erin, it's good to see you again!!! Because of Noelle's long history of feather pulling/mutilation the follicles have been permanently destroyed and no new feather growth is expected.

#189635 - 01/08/09 04:44 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Chewy Offline
Lives Here
Chewy  Offline
Lives Here

Washington
Thanks!!!!
Oh man it's too bad that they won't grow back. But hey she's loved now and that's all that matters. She seems to be a sweet heart from the pics.

look to your birds for love
Chewy RB2
Lightning-parakeet
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels
#189688 - 01/08/09 11:58 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Chewy]  
Shiloh Offline
Shiloh  Offline

Glencoe, OK
It is sad to know what these beautiful creatures go through, but heart warming to see people like you that will take them in and give them a new hope of life. After looking and reading all this it makes me wonder if the one that I have was not a import, due to the fact that he/she is missing toes on the left foot as well. Now I know why she would seem to get angry when I would say pretty boy. LOL At least my husband kept saying she would.

#189710 - 01/09/09 02:10 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Shiloh]  
ToniJ Offline
ToniJ  Offline

Tasmania, Australia
I just looked at your photos, and it seems that Echo, is just as much an angel as Echosmom, knowing that reaching out with TLC was the only way. There should be more Echos and Echosmos in the world, Toni

#189715 - 01/09/09 05:37 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: ToniJ]  
katy girl Offline
Lives Here
katy girl  Offline
Lives Here

Katy, Texas
Please keep us posted. I just saw the article and your pictures. It made me cry. I am so happy you have her, also hearing about the herbs that she is taking. How sad that her feathers will never grow back but she is beautiful just as she is.

#190015 - 01/13/09 01:56 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: katy girl]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I will definitely keep everyone updated on Noelle's progress.

The bandages are holding up much better this time - my AV said that eventually her fussing with them should diminish, and as always, he's right. I am going to take her in later this week and we'll access the healing of the wound, and if the scab is gone, off go the bandages and on goes a sock-buddy.

My AV and I have discussed bandaging her one more time with the sock buddy over it. The hopes in doing this are that since the sweater will be much easier for her to destroy, that another week or two with bandages underneath will help her realize that destroying the sock is futile.

Meanwhile, I'm making lots of deposits into her "bank/trust account", because getting the sweater on isn't going to be an easy task, without her complete trust in me. I've been doing lots of similar handling - stretching and holding her feet and wings in preparation. smile

As far as Noelle's personality, she's a great bird. In spite of her past, she's very loving, trusting and very forgiving. And she's investigating more and more each day. The other day while I was sitting at my desk working I saw, what I thought was Alex walking across the floor to me to sit with me. Imagine my surprise when I looked down to see Noelle standing there with her foot up. She has been in her day cage (the door is always open) a total of 2 times since she's been here and only briefly. Although she has explored the inside of Echo and Alex's cage. Meanwhile, they have been exploring hers. She has a sleep cage in my room, which she has loved since day one. And right before bedtime, she has a bit of warm oatmeal (spoon fed), and I mix her Missing Link, plus the natural supplements my AV has her on, so that is going well too. And she's trying new foods, and liking most of them everyday.

I currently have her in a 40x40 dome top, but a local friend of mine who bought a new cage for her M2, gave me her old cage which has a playtop. So this weekend, I plan on getting that set up for her - I think she will enjoy the playtop much better.

I just want to thank everyone again for all the kinds words and moral support. And YES, feathers or not - SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!!

#190018 - 01/13/09 02:12 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Shiloh]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Shiloh
After looking and reading all this it makes me wonder if the one that I have was not a import, due to the fact that he/she is missing toes on the left foot as well.

I don't get it; what is the point of taking their toes off?

Donna
Free as a bird???
#190019 - 01/13/09 02:23 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Donnalee]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Donna, it is a common injury seen in imports, primarily females. The poachers amputate the toes of females and then either glue or chain them to a tree branch. The cries of the injured females attract the males, so they can be captured as well. Now, aren't you sorry you asked??? frown

Shiloh, are your birds missing toes even? Noelle's are, and this is why my AV suspects this is what happened. All of Noelle's are amputated uniformally. He said that if it was an injury or self-mutilation, the chances of them being so uniform is not likely.

#190058 - 01/13/09 07:14 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: EchosMom

As far as Noelle's personality, she's a great bird. In spite of her past, she's very loving, trusting and very forgiving. And she's investigating more and more each day. The other day while I was sitting at my desk working I saw, what I thought was Alex walking across the floor to me to sit with me. Imagine my surprise when I looked down to see Noelle standing there with her foot up.

What a wonderful moment that had to have been, to see her standing there with her lil foot held up! It so amazes me the love and trust these beautiful babies can show after so much sadness in their lives. Another testament to the Love and Care she is receiving from you Janet.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny