Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#189093 - 01/01/09 07:57 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
The blend she is currently receiving is in tablet form and manufactured by Renew Life and marketed as "Healthy Calm". http://www.vitacost.com/Renew-Life-Healthy-Calm-60-Chewable-Tablets#IngredientFacts.

All of Renew Life's pet supplements have been formulated by Dr. Murphy himself. He's been practicing holistic/homeopathy veterinary medicine for over 25 years. This particular blend is not "marketed" for birds, but Joel says he has had great success with it in his avian patients as well. There is no risk of over sedation based on the appropriate compounds in each tablet. I cut a tablet in 1/2, crush it and then sprinkle it over her food, or tuck it inside a small piece of whole grain bread with a little almond butter. So she's actually getting 1/2 daily of the ingredients listed.

Joel says that if the mutilating continues, we will pull her off of the Calm and he will try some other combinations. And don't apologize, I'm glad for the questions, because this is unchartered waters for me as well. While they were cleaning Noelle up the 2nd time and bringing her back out of sedation, Joel and I sat in his office and talked for about 30 minutes. He told me that he believes there is a natural treatment/cure for just about everything, but it's finding the right combination. And of course since it's impossible to get a "constitution" on an animal (they can't tell us how they feel)
it gets tricky. He said he will keep watching her progress and he will make adjustments accordingly and hopefully we'll find just the right combination. He has shelf after shelf of all kinds natural essences, extracts.

He has recently began exploring the use of crystals on 3 mutilating cockatoos. The crystals look like a poker chip and he is running his own trial, to see if the crystal inserted inside the dressing speed up the healing process and/or having any lasting effects. He said that one particular crystal has shown marked improvement in clinicial trials of children with severe ADD - he said the effects are remarkable!

When Noelle goes in for her followup, I will also be picking up a packet that Dr. M is putting together for me with lots of literature, research and lectures on holistic medicine.

I too am fascinated by it all and interested in learning more.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#189094 - 01/01/09 08:02 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Charlie]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I know nothing about holistic medicines but I am totally impressed with that list. I want to learn more about it, I have always believed in natural first so this just makes since to me. My grandparents and Mom were big on "home remedies" and they worked!

I am so happy to hear that Noelle is settling in nicely, however I knew that in your experienced care she would do well. It is especially wonderful to hear how Echo is responding towards her. That just further solidifies my beliefs in how much love and compassion these beautiful creatures possess.

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#189100 - 01/01/09 09:11 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Compliments of one of my best friends - GOOGLE!!

GABA - a natural relaxant to induce relaxation and diminish anxiety. GABA administration enhances immunity under stress conditions.

LEMON BALM - Combined with other calming herbs (such as valerian, hops, chamomile) helps reduce anxiety

MOTHERWART - an herb for calming the nerves and bringing a feeling of tranquility

PASSION FLOWER - relieves anxiety, insomnia, and related nervous disorders

BLACK COHOSH - believed to reduce high hormones

CHAMOMILE FLOWER - The essential oil from the chamomile flower in particular promotes soothing and can reduce irritation.

SKULLCAP - used in connection with anxiety, nervous tension, muscle spasms, PMS-related symptoms, tension headaches, restless legs syndrome, insomnia, and mild Tourette's syndrome.

VALERIAN ROOT - An anti-convulsant, sedative, pain reliever

HOPS - has anti-microbial activities against the Gram-positive bacterial (Bacillus subtillis and Staphylococcus aureus) and the fungus (Trichophyton mentagrophytes var. interdigtale)

VITAMIN B1 - Also known as thiamin, helps fuel your body by converting blood sugar into energy. It keeps mucous membranes healthy and is essential for nervous system, cardiovascular and muscular function.

ASHWAGANDA ROOT - - Antioxidant

L-THEANINE - helps the body's immune response to infection by boosting the disease-fighting capacity of gamma delta T-cells

LECITHIN - Beneficial in many ways, including enhancement of metabolism and immune function.

FLOWER ESSENCES - act to balance inharmonies in the emotional and spiritual body, and bring about a gentle healing by bringing the body back in balance with itself. They act almost as catalysts to cause healing.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#189101 - 01/01/09 09:28 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
HHHHMMMMMM very interesting. I will have to do some more reading when I have time. smile

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#189102 - 01/01/09 09:39 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Janny]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

TYSM EM, there are several things on this list that sound as if I should add them on a daily basis to my own vitamin regimen grin. We already take several natural vitamins (hubby insists I am trying to kill him), however he does take them all lol.

definitely gonna do some more research on these, ty again!

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#189104 - 01/01/09 11:05 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
We have tried "Pluck No More" with Harry our hormonal hyperactive 5 yo RB2. It does help calm him down. This appears to be a holistic type thing as well. Our vet said it was OK to use. It does not make him perfect as far as behavior, but it does moderate it somewhat, and he is plucking a lot less. This is the 3rd time in almost 6 years that I have used it.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#189107 - 01/02/09 12:30 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Charlie]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
I'm glad this girl found such a great home with you smile
It looks like she has been plucking for a very long time, it just boggles my mind trying to come up with a reason someone would just leave her like that smirk

Do you think she'll ever grow feathers or down back in, or has she done too much damage? She's beautiful even naked anyway of course smile

#189110 - 01/02/09 12:56 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Cidsa]  
birdsrule Offline
birdsrule  Offline

Syracuse, New York
Like the others I had major tears reading this, what a Christmas Miracle that you were guided to her. I bet that hug from you and meeting her new feathered sister did much to heal her soul..the meds will heal her wounds but you will be the one to heal her heart and soul!

Best wishes to you and all your family on this new and very special journey!

Cathy

Last edited by birdsrule; 01/02/09 12:56 AM.
#189113 - 01/02/09 01:50 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: birdsrule]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
EM you are such an ANGEL! I'm sure she will blossom like a flower under your & Echo's loving care . : )

Donna
Free as a bird???
#189136 - 01/02/09 08:00 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Donnalee]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Please do your research, or consult with a professional before you start a vitamin or herbal regime... They are NOT benign and can have other effects, strains on organs etc....

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#189140 - 01/02/09 09:29 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: spinnyspoo]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: spinnyspoo
Please do your research, or consult with a professional before you start a vitamin or herbal regime... They are NOT benign and can have other effects, strains on organs etc....

Absolutely!! Holistic medicine is not for amateurs.

Susanne, my AV and I talked about "PNM" - it is holistic treatment and he said for some birds it works very well. Cidsa, both AV's agree that she has a long history of feaather plucking and there will be little, if any, feather regrowth because of extensive follicle damage. But we can hope!

Thanks again everyone for all the kind words and support. She is definitely a Christmas angel, that's for sure and is why we named her Noelle, which means "christmas time". At some point in time her name was Ollie, but she had no name association whatsoever. When Lisa rescued her she began calling her Holly, because it rhymed and because of the holiday season. Holly is a beautiful name, but someone named Holly caused considerable pain in my life previously, so I decided because of the lack of name association that I would re-name her Noelle.

#189144 - 01/02/09 02:51 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Stormy Offline
Stormy  Offline

PA
I just want to add my own thanks to you EM for taking Noelle into your heart and home to give her a new lease on life. You and your family are so caring and loving to do this. I hope everything will work out and Noelle will have peace being with you.

Owned by birds and loving it!!
Terri
#189180 - 01/03/09 03:49 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Stormy]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
The story made me cry...thanks for sharing! Noelle is a perfect name for your little Christmas "gift"! The holistic treatment is interesting & I am looking forward to see if it helps...even a little! Pluck No More didn't help us at all. Chamomile tea was encouraging. Brewster's plucking has seemed to be to his legs. But no mutilating...

Gail
#189272 - 01/04/09 05:30 PM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Bird Mom]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

Oh MY GOSH.. What a story, Janet. How fortunate for this poor, abused girl to have fallen into your hands. Her tale did make me cry for her and all of the birds with the same kind of history.I see these pictures and hear the histories and I just can't believe humans are sooo vicious. Really... breaking a foot and GLUING the bird to a tree.. Just the thought of that... screaming... unsucessful beating of wings in struggle. You are truly making a difference here...Best of luck with her rehab..
and thank you.

#189301 - 01/05/09 02:15 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Winter's mom]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I woke up in the middle of the night after I looked at Noelle's pictures because it gave me a nightmare from Hell. The poor doll is like real trooper induring all that torture. And look at her cuddling up to EM after all of that. She must be having dreams now that she is saved by an angel and then wakes up and realizes IT'S TRUE! How wonderful! : )

Donna
Free as a bird???
#189407 - 01/06/09 02:09 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Donnalee]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Thanks again everyone!

We went back today to my AV today for a 1 week re-check and new dressings. Noelle's wound is healing nicely but there is another spot on her lower abdomen beginning. She hasn't been ripping skin/flesh off but fussing with it and it looks as though from her fussing with her bandages and them shifting it was rubbing her skin a litte, causing her to fuss with it more. No open wound, just a little redness. So the bandage went a little lower this time. As suspected, there is NO evidence of new feather growth. In the few hours that we've been home she's fussing with this bandage even more and is doing a good job of pulling the cotton gauzing out from underneath the wrap. Sigh...

She has settled in very nicely and really enjoys Echo. They have quite the blossoming friendship. Noelle wasn't chewing wood in her foster home, but Echo has shown her how much fun it is, and yesterday I hooked a natural wood toy to the dome top of Noelle's cage and with her and one end and Echo at the other, they demolished it in no time. She's eating well and trying all kinds of new things and we're found some nice, healthy favorites this past week. And she's even flying a few feet - smart girl that she has left her flights intact!!!

Once the wound is completely healed, and she quites fussing with the bandages so much, we are then going to try using a Sock Buddy instead. I downloaded the e-file and will be practicing not only the making, but putting them on with Echo as a live model. Joel and I talked today, and we may start with the Sock Buddy while the bandages are still on unti she gets used to wearing them and quits fiddling with them so much. The mutilation is the cycle that needs to be broken, so we are hopeful with the natural meds, a good diet, enriched environment, required amount of sleep, and a flock to call her own, she won't have the time, or desire to injure herself.

Considering all she's been through she is a sweet and loving bird. Always ready for a full head pet. She's vocalizing, including lots of sweet whistles. Her vocalizations are much different that Echo's, which I attribute to her being a wildcaught. She sounds exactly what the M2's I've heard vocalizing on the Indonesia Parrot Project.

#189414 - 01/06/09 03:11 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Glad to hear things are going well for Noelle. I am so happy she has Echo now. the tow of them are going to be best buds I am sure. Echo has a big job to show her all the things she has been missing out on.lol.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#189415 - 01/06/09 03:16 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: EchosMom]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
What an amazing adventure! I cried thinking about this baby's past. But I'm excited for her future! You are awesome! Please keep some sort of documentary as you are able....a little piece of history. It's so cool that Noelle enjoys Echo's company. That sure must make things easier to cope with. Your updates are fascinating...

Gail
#189416 - 01/06/09 03:16 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: Janny]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Janet that's a great update! So happy to hear that Noelle is settling in so quickly.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#189422 - 01/06/09 03:30 AM Re: A Moluccan Rescue Story [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Meri Offline
Meri  Offline

Evansville, WI
How cool that she and Echo get along! I'm also glad that things are going well. Hopefully she will forget about mutilating. How are you holding up?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny