Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 63 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#186985 - 12/04/08 12:06 AM 20 yr old goffin  
RCH Offline
RCH  Offline

Hi I had posted before about rescuing a goffin. I went to see him today. He is a plucked mess. He was shaking and terrified of me. I think he is very ill, just my gut telling me.The current owner will get him into the pet carrier, I"ll get him home but I'm not sure how to get him back into the carrier to get him to his vet apt. Friday morning.I'm not afraid of getting bit I just don't want to stress him out any more than necessary. Let me know if you all have any advice/wisdom to share. thanks Becky

#186989 - 12/04/08 12:48 AM Re: 20 yr old goffin [Re: RCH]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I would go from the previous owner directly to the Vet. There is enough stress in moving to a new home already. Going to the Vet would just make for one less trip.

#186992 - 12/04/08 01:05 AM Re: 20 yr old goffin [Re: Elliott]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Good suggestion Elliott - get all the stress over with at once!!

If that isn't an option, do you know how to correctly towel a bird? (I see that you have conures.)

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#186993 - 12/04/08 01:05 AM Re: 20 yr old goffin [Re: Elliott]  
RCH Offline
RCH  Offline

In an ideal world this would work perfectly, unfortunately it could not be arranged.

#186994 - 12/04/08 01:06 AM Re: 20 yr old goffin [Re: RCH]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
We just had a huge discussion on toweling a new bird. I will dig up the link and post it here.
Originally Posted By: Janny
Nope I don't suggest using gloves here....That can be worse. They will associate the gloves as bigger puffier fingers and fear hands even more. A towel is the way to go definitely. With gloves as well you can not judge how much pressure you are using on the bird where with a towel you can a little easier. Toweling is not that hard. You can drop a towel over her and scoop her up easily. Do it as quick and matter of factly as possible and try not to squeeze hard. Have that carrier nice and close so you don't have to travel far with her in the towel. The more you do the toweling the easier it gets and I used to be just as scared to do it as you probably are. But what I found was easiest was getting the bird to the bottom of the cage and dropping the towel over them and scooping them up. Watch that they aren't hanging onto the grate at the bottom and talk to her so she slowly releases her grip if she does.She may try to bite you but most often they don't. I use the biggest bath towel I have to make sure there is padding there should they bite.Don't hold too tightly onto the chest area either. Just a nice frim grip so they can't flap the wings a wriggle out.

I hope it made sense what I wrote.It is something that is hard to explain but easier to show. I am going to get a video of me toweling one of the birds that are harder towel and see if that helps. I will get my neice over here to video it for me. Honestly it isn't as bad as it seems.It also may take a time or two to get the hang of it. Just talk nice to her while you are doing it.

From this Topic

There are also a couple of videos Tika's Dad posted in this same topic that may help you to do it better. It really isn't that bad. The more you have to do it the more you will see it gets easier as time goes on. The biggest thing I had to learn is even if they bite you...don't let them go. The second time trying to catch them in the towel in the free area of the house is more difficult but can still be done. Just try to bare down and get through the bite and get the bird in the carrier anyway.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#186995 - 12/04/08 01:08 AM Re: 20 yr old goffin [Re: RCH]  
RCH Offline
RCH  Offline

Could you please describe hoe to towell him correctly. I've never had to do it because my conures and I are very bonded and it's never been necessary.

#186997 - 12/04/08 01:18 AM Re: 20 yr old goffin [Re: RCH]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Since you have never toweled a bird a bird before it is best that you be given proper instruction from your AV before attempting it, but Here is a previous discussion on the topic, which includes a good article.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#186999 - 12/04/08 01:31 AM Re: 20 yr old goffin [Re: RCH]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Instead of toweling him could you use a smaller cage for this week only. Something that you could transport him to the vet in? If you had a cockatiel cage this may work. It stinks that he would be in the cage for a couple of days but it would be a safer alternative than toweling him until the vet is able to show you how to do it.
Best of luck.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#187003 - 12/04/08 01:52 AM Re: 20 yr old goffin [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Good idea Nancy. I am glad you thought of that.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#187046 - 12/04/08 04:01 PM Re: 20 yr old goffin [Re: RCH]  
Macawman Offline
Macawman  Offline

Originally Posted By: RCH
In an ideal world this would work perfectly, unfortunately it could not be arranged.

Does your vet board? Perhaps you could board the bird with the vet until your appointment time. That way, the vet might be able to squeeze in at least an initial assessment in advance and you would not have to worry about quarantine issues in the interim.

Just a thought.

Dave

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny