Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#185252 - 11/17/08 09:40 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: EchosMom]  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
The appt went great. Love Dr. Onorati! He owns an entourage of birds also! I showed up with a full list of question, Simon's schedule, food and of course he loved that! He added it to his file. We will not know the results until tomorrow afternoon. He gave him a Vitamin A shot, told me to get full spectrum lighting (as this also started when he was not going outside anymore because of the weather change). Doesn't think it is the reason but could help. Also he told me to buy flax seed oil (this is expensive!) and Olive oil and mix 1 part Flax seed to 4-5 parts olive oil and drop a couple of drops on his food everyday. He thinks this will help as well.
He really loved Simon. He thought he was the sweetest and very forgiving. He was happy that Simon doesn't mind towels at all. I just about died when he told me he drew blood from his juggler! OMG I can't imagine Simon sitting sill for that! But he took him out of the room to that, which is good I would have made Simon nervous. I think he thought I was a little OCD with questions but didn't mind at all. Simon did so well on the way there as they are a hour and 15 min from our house. When we got there we put Simon in a cat carrier to take him in that of course had his 3 fav toys in it and a blanket he loves to play with when out. He did awesome in there! I thought he would have freaked out. Of course everyone in the waiting room wanted to talk to Simon and thought he was adorable! They were talking to him and he would bob his whole body left and right or up and down. We also noticed Simon doesn't make a peep when we are out of the house. He has been out a lot we just never payed attention to it. That was the longest road trip he has taken.

Don't worry guys wouldn't buy that stuff!

We have moved the humidifier in between their cages.

As for your question Magnus Simon will be 2 in Jan.

So I will be on here tomorrow afternoon as soon as I have the results.

"Education is the progressive realization of our ignorance"

#185253 - 11/17/08 09:59 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
well they just called! I'm on my way to go pick up Anit-biotics as he has a bacteria infection. They were going to send of the culture and have them break it down to figure out which one to give him but seems how he sneezed yesterday they are going to give us one to start on and then will find out if we need a different one once the tests come back. :-(

#185254 - 11/17/08 10:18 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Thanks for the update! It will be interesting to see if the vet thinks it's the bacterial infection that's causing the plucking.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you get everything cleared up quickly!

#185259 - 11/17/08 11:28 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Beeps]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Yes, thanks for the update. We'll be anxiously awaiting the test results and fingers are crossed here too that it's something that will clear up quickly!!

One concern. You mentioned that you put Simon in the carrier when you arrived at the vets office. Was he free in the car for the ride there? If so, that is very dangerous for Simon. He should be in a travel carrier, even for a short distance car ride, strapped in, ideally in the back seat (because of front air bags). If you were to be involved in an serious car crash (God forbid of course) it could have even more grave consequences for Simon if he's lose in the vehicle.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#185267 - 11/18/08 12:24 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: EchosMom]  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
EM I understand the concern and thank you I really never thought about the accident factor.

He was on me in the back seat, that was his first time in the carrier, to the vet and in the car for an hour or so each way - so I sat with him in the back with toys and love to minimize the stress. Didn't want to add to the plucking. We were happy that he didn't freak in the carrier and will be looking into one for Simon as this was a cat carrier with no perch or anything and I can't mount one in case I need it for the cats. It was just a quick fix in case there were a lot of people and pets in the waiting room.

So we have the two antibiotics to give him for 14 days and they will call in the next 3-5 days when they get the results back. Will defiantly let everyone know how he is doing with the meds and the results.

#185275 - 11/18/08 01:25 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
I wish you lots of luck with the meds. That's always the worst part for me. smile

Last edited by TiKa's Dad; 11/18/08 01:28 AM.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#185277 - 11/18/08 01:32 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
I am still at work and haven't got try the meds yet. This is the first time any of my kids have been ill. So we will see how this works. He usually doesn't like new things unless I try them first so I might have to choke down some sweet potatoe baby food YUK!!! I HATE SWEET POTATOES :-((same color as one of the antibiotics) and try the switch a-roo with the syringe. The other one is milk color and that will work for me. But of course I will try without pretending like I'm eating it also. A video camera would be most entertaining tonight! LOL

#185279 - 11/18/08 01:40 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
SM, I know some people do, but I don't use perches in my bird carriers. I've noticed that standing on a perch in a moving vehicle (turns, bumps, etc) makes it difficult for them to stay perched. And they usually give up and then the perch gets in the way of them standing and moving around. I just fold up a nice towel in the bottom and they travel very well that way.

Good luck with the meds!!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#185283 - 11/18/08 02:05 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: EchosMom]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Trickery only works the first few times. smile You may have to do the dirty deed of force feeding the meds. It's important that she gets the full dose and the complete dose. smile You'll git er done.

John
#185399 - 11/18/08 06:13 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
Trickery doesn't work at all! He's scared of the syringe. Okay so when I picked up the meds the directions were to put it in the corner of his mouth and give it to him. Sounds easy enough! HA HA HA HA What a joke! We got all the meds last night and half of them today. I have never had to towel Simon before and every time he has been toweled for the vet visit or to get clipped and what not I wasn't around. So the toweling wasn't hard (don't know if I'm doing it right) and he doesn't get mad about that - but he keeps on flipping his head all over trying to bite and attacks the syringe! I tried giving it to him while he was attacking the syringe but that ended up on the couch. HOW DO I DO THIS? I need a mideval rack to strap him down! GEEZ Suggestion? Thanks

#185402 - 11/18/08 06:35 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Had a feeling you'd be asking. smile

Here is some toweling videos to start.

Episode 5 Toweling
Episode 6 Toweling II

Lots of discussion on giving meds. Just type meds in the search box.
Feeding MEDS thread
Another feeding MEDS thread

Last edited by TiKa's Dad; 11/18/08 06:44 PM.

John
#185415 - 11/18/08 07:44 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
John I only have a computer at work and they have exiled streaming video and personal media! So all the cool pics and videos on this site I can't get into. Sometimes I can watch if they are directly emailed to me.

I have already been searching, reading, copying and pasting my own little advise manual. We are going to try so many different things.

We are starting tonight with cooked mashed carrots, then butternut squash and peanut butter.

Going to give Simon one of the syringes tonight to handle a bit, very supervised of course. He hasn't learned to chomp too hard on things when he is mad as he bit me last night for the first time but not hard enough to pierce the skin and he didn't break the syringe that he chomped on. So I thought tonight we will try to hide it in food and let him play with a syringe until he feels comfortable with it.

I have also called the vet and talked with one of the nurses there who is on a 4 month regiment of this and she is the one who gave me the carrot & squash idea. She says they gave us extra doses knowing this was going to happen.

Will update tomorrow and let you all know how this worked for us!

#185424 - 11/18/08 09:16 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
How the heck do they expect you to goof off at work if they block youtube!! laugh

I mean do research. smile

John
#185567 - 11/19/08 09:13 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
Okay so last night I tried, organic baby food, carrots, apple-blueberry or plum-blueberry, macaroni & cheese all of which he wouldn't eat w/o the meds. I think he is on to me. LOL We are going to buy sweet potatoes tonight and I'll try mashing those. I got him to eat the meds in mashed potatoes! go figure - the med he doesn't like is orange! I think he wouldn't eat the carrots & macaroni is they are the same color IDK. Mashed potatoes work but I don't want to give him that twice a day for 13 more days! WOW. I did cut it back to about a tablespoon worth of potatoes but still too much starch. Trial and error I guess. I don't want him to become defendant on Mashed potatoes (could he with only 2 tbls a day?) But it was stress free and I like that!

#185574 - 11/19/08 09:28 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
You do whatever it takes to get those meds in for 13 days. Never mind the starch. Give him smaller amounts with the full dose.

It's important to get them in, stress or not.

John
#185581 - 11/19/08 09:54 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
Thanks John! I can give him the full dose of both in a tablespoon of potatoes. Which I thought was a miracle as one is orange! I was worried about the starch thing.

IT works great for us as he is not stressed and I'm not stressed!

I am still going to try some other things and see if something a little healthier will work, but until I find something else I'm going home tonight to make more mashed potatoes!

I am officially a slave to Simon! LOL

#186770 - 12/01/08 10:58 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
I just realized I never got back to everyone to tell them what the diagnosis was. Simon has Ecoli! Which totally scared me, I was asking how he got this, out of the list of food I took where do you think it came from. He doesn't eat any meat so it couldn't have come from that! Come to find out they naturally have Ecoli and sometimes it gets over produced and presents itself. Today is the last day of anti-biotics and we have a follow up on the 20th. Of course I will come back and let yah know the outcome! Sorry for the delay :-(

#186772 - 12/01/08 11:35 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
RB2sMom Offline
Lives Here
RB2sMom  Offline
Lives Here

Lilburn, GA
You can also get E. coli from vegetables that have been contaminated. At least you know the cause and treatment should take care of it.

Susanne
Our flock: 2 RB2s
Our herd & rescue: turtles, tortoises, other reptiles
#187633 - 12/11/08 07:54 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: RB2sMom]  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
Update Simon's re-culture says he is good!!! YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

#187636 - 12/11/08 08:09 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Thanks for the update. Did he ever get better at taking his meds?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny