Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#184881 - 11/12/08 11:06 PM Simon has started plucking!  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
Okay so Simon is officially plucking (I think) On Oct. 13th I had a post that he was pulling out his down feathers. Well we ran out bought a humidifier as we turned on the heaters and that seemed to help, well in the last 5 days or so he has started again, so I have been watching more - he is chewing off the down leaving the quill. He chews them into tiny little balls. I noticed that he is shaving his legs now also! He is mainly plucking on his back and under his wing, a little on the chest. I noticed blood on his beak yesterday and thoroughly inspected his entire body - he doesn't appear to be making any sores but I think he is pulling out the quills - blood or otherwise. I do not have a certified avian vet - everyone listed on-line when I call is not actually board certified. I have found an Avian (not certified vet) by our house that Simon might be going to tomorrow. I have been reading like mad this morning on here trying to figure out possible triggers and approaches. I know the vet is first and for most but I was curious about pasta? They really like pasta, veggies & beans. Could this be from a combo of the heater & too much pasta? I thought it might have been that he was bored with his current selection of toys so I changed them all out and put some of his old fav's back in. Will be shopping today for new things. Any suggestions are great!

~ panicking mom!

"Education is the progressive realization of our ignorance"

#184888 - 11/12/08 11:41 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

Hello,

First don't freak out and panic because Simon can pick up on that. Ignore the plucking. You don't want him to get attention from it!

As you know, a vet visit is definitely in order.

Diet can certainly play a role in plucking. If you're interested, here's a link to a free yahoo group called Feeding Feathers that has a good pluckers' diet in its files, as well as other info on plucking.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FeedingFeathers

Here is a handout from a vet clinic discussing plucking, including tests that can be run. It may be helpful to bring that with you when you go to the vet tomorrow (as it discusses diagnostics you may want to consider):
http://www.thebirdclinic.com/UploadedFiles/BirdClinicHandout9.pdf

Obviously, do everything you can to stop the plucking. But a plucking bird does not necessarily mean an unhappy bird. Sometimes the stress of captivity seems to be too much for certain birds to handle.

Don't allow yourself to freak out too much. He will pick up on the stress and make it worse. I know this is easier said than done. My timneh started plucking almost 3 years ago and I was a mess. A humidifier solved her problem, but I've since adopted a mutilating (now only plucking) congo, so I know what you're going through!

Good luck!

ETA: I just reread your post. Is he plucking them off or biting off at the skin? When I did a ton of research on this due to the above-mentioned timneh, it seems that when they bite them off, it's often lack of humidity. I know you added a humidifier, but maybe he needs more frequent baths or a stronger humidifier? They sell humidity sensors you could buy. Also, when they bite them off it takes longer for the feather to regrow generally since the shaft is still in there and will need to molt before a new feather can grow. So you may not see results quickly even if you've solved the problem. If he's picking them out (not biting them off), ignore this edit.

Last edited by Beeps; 11/12/08 11:46 PM. Reason: added ETA part
#184889 - 11/12/08 11:44 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Beeps]  
ChickenBaby Offline
ChickenBaby  Offline

Sunshine State
I don't have any experience with this but can the heater be drying out and thus irritating his skin and feathers?

#184894 - 11/13/08 01:07 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: ChickenBaby]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
An avian vet does not need to be "board certified" to be an excellent vet. You will know pretty quickly upon your first visit if you have a vet you can trust. There are good mechanics and bad mechanics. You need to find "your" mechanic.

As mentioned already. Don't panic and stay pleasant and upbeat around the bird. Even if you have to put on a big act to do it.

Get Simon to the vet soon. smile

Something to read. Feather destruction

Feather picking articles at the bottom ----> Here

Last edited by TiKa's Dad; 11/13/08 01:15 AM.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#184895 - 11/13/08 01:07 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: ChickenBaby]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Here are a few listings of certified avian vets I pulled from the AAV website which appear to be in your area (an hour or less). Good luck - a good avian vet and a full check-up and complete blood work is the first place you need to start.

All Bird Clinic LLC
Deanna Shafar
2505 South 80th Street
Tacoma, WA 98409
Phone: 253-475-2611
Fax: 253-983-0000
http://www.allbirdclinic.com/

McDole Veterinary Services
A. McDole
PO Box 24015
Federal Way, WA 98093
Phone: 206-579-5519
Fax: 206-400-1582

Des Moines Veterinary Hospital
James Onorati
21935 Pacific Highway South
Seattle, WA 98198
Phone: 206 878-4111

Exotic Pet and Bird Clinic
Skip Nelson
903 Fifth Avenue, Suite 101
Kirkland, WA 98033
Phone: 425-827-6613
Fax: 425-828-4240
http://www.exopet.com/

Lee Harris
1530 South Dash Point Road
Federal Way, WA 98003
Phone: 206 941-3900
Fax: 206 941-2164

Avian and Exotic Animal Hospital
Adolf Maas
10137 Main St, Ste. 6
Bothell, WA 98011
Phone: 425-486-9000
Fax: 425-486-9002
http://avianexoticanimalhospital.com/Staff.html

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#184898 - 11/13/08 01:46 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: EchosMom]  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
Beeps - I think it was your post I read and why I got the humidifer. How close can I put these to them? I currently have it across the living room maybe 20-30 feet away from them. There is a spot close to them that my dogs won't knock it over but it is within a foot or so of the cage - he wouldn't be able to get to it while in his cage but would have to be moved when he's out.

Thanks John - I know I am a worrier - he doesn't see this, I save it for work when I can't watch him like a hawk and give him something else to do.

EM - Deanna Shaffer is not certified per her office which is no longer All Birds Clinic. I was excited when I found her info on-line as she is in between my work and home. A McDole is not taking new clients.

Okay we have an appt. with James Onorati on Sat! YEAH this guy is the cockatoo expert and is the vet for Molly Rescue! Which is an A+ for me. He specializes in Too Plucking! That couldn't be any better! Thanks EM

I am doing a little dance! LOL

Back to reading all the articles you guys have left for me.

Thanks so much!

#184899 - 11/13/08 01:48 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Good deal Simon's Mom! Please keep us updated. smile

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#184901 - 11/13/08 02:02 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: EchosMom]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Janet to the rescue again! smile

I'll do a happy dance too, what the heck! smile

John
#184904 - 11/13/08 02:22 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
I will be on here on Monday! I was really pleased just with the conversation I had with the office. Hope he is as good as his people sell him to be. Hope that makes sense.

The Vet the I took Azul to wasn't as thorough as I would have liked her to be. Of course at the time I didn't know that. But she handled him well.

#184910 - 11/13/08 03:41 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
SM...between now and Saturday, make a list of questions that you have. That way, you won't forget anything you want to ask while you are there. A good AV will appreciate that, AND take the time to answer all your questions. And don't be afraid to ask questions - that's how we all learn!

#184950 - 11/13/08 04:52 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Simon's Mom]  
Beeps Offline
Beeps  Offline
Lives Here

As for how close the humidifer can/should be, since you're going to the vet in a couple of days, I'd put that on my list of things to ask if I were you! As long as the bird can't get to it in its cage, I don't see why it couldn't be closer, but there could be things I'm not thinking of.

I did some searching and found a site with humidity meters: http://www.moisturemeterstore.com/humidity_meters.shtml That way you could tell if the humidity by the cage is higher if it's 1 foot away as opposed to 20 feet away.

I keep my humidifier in the corner of my living room. My birds' cages are around the perimeter of the living room. My caique's cage is probably 1 foot away from it, whereas my greys' cages are closer to 15 feet away.

I think this is a trial and error kind of thing, unfortunately frown

#185128 - 11/15/08 04:31 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Beeps]  
dontgetshocked Offline
dontgetshocked  Offline

Freeport,Texas
This is generally a sign of some sort of behavior problem,something that is stressing them out.That said, I highly recommend buying and using Pluck No More along with the Feather Shine product to get rid of this problem while you analyze what started it.Here is the link;http://www.plucknomore.com/

Dave
#185130 - 11/15/08 05:54 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: dontgetshocked]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Quote:
I highly recommend buying and using Pluck No More along with the Feather Shine product to get rid of this problem while you analyze what started it.

Are you serious? LOL

#185131 - 11/15/08 06:27 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Charlie]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Quote:
Are you serious? LOL

That is my line. frown

Quote:
Pluck No More
Revolutionary New Product!

Quote:
USE OUR SCAM REPORT
TO WARN OTHERS ABOUT
CHEAP IMITATIONS
ON MARKET WITH

There is no magic potion. I wonder what the vets cut is on the sale?

Last edited by TiKa's Dad; 11/15/08 07:22 PM.

John
#185133 - 11/15/08 07:21 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Well, I have no first hand knowledge of this product but I know one thing, if it could "take care of this problem", we would not need a website like Mytoos!

#185147 - 11/15/08 11:23 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Charlie]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Exactly! Pluck No More probably works as well as the Breast Enlargement pills I just seen on eBay. I have no first hand knowledge of either. ; )

Donna
Free as a bird???
#185149 - 11/15/08 11:26 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: Charlie]  
MagnusG2 Offline
MagnusG2  Offline

Denmark
I have a close friend here in denmark who ordered Pluck No More from USA, and it DOESN'T work!!

How old is Simon? Is he reaching sexual maturity? Because my G2 Magnus suddenly started plucking this May, and I took him to my AV for a full work up to check for anything physical. But he was as healthy as could be and the AV was pleased with his diet and everything else I told him I did. I took several points of actions, and long story short: I think it was a mixture of early maturity and low humidity. He was very confused at the time and it was clearly that he had a hard time handling all the hormones. I started more often rotation of the toys in his cage, removed his food bowl and started Captive Foraging. No more free buffet! LOL! Now he has to work for his food....use his brain to get to it. I bought lots of green plants and got the humidity back up, I bought more toys and intensified his training. I gave him Aloe Vera in his water and I sprayed him with Aloe Vera. The first week after his very traumatic trip to the vet we moved his cage into the study where my boyfriend works (he works at home). He stopped plucking and hasn't done it since and now he is fully feathered. I will never know for sure why he did it, but I keep my fingers crossed that he won't ever start again. I think I take very good care of him and my vet thought that too and I was sooooo frustrated because I didn't know what was wrong.

Good luck to you and Simon. I hope you will get it under control.

Last edited by MagnusG2; 11/15/08 11:40 PM.

Ninna
Owned by 1 G2 (Magnus)
#185154 - 11/16/08 12:04 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: MagnusG2]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
A few years ago someone I knew attributed the use of Pluck No More to the death of their cockatoo. NOT the product itself - BUT. PNM has a calming effect on birds. Because her cockatoo did calm down considerably after she began using PNM, she was not aware that the bird had also become ill, and chalked up the changes she was seeing to the the calming effect of the product, rather than illness. It wasn't until the bird became very ill that she realized something was terribly wrong and she lost him. She carried alot of guilt because she felt that if she hadn't started using the product, she would have realized that the bird was ill much sooner, which could have saved his life. Just something to think about.

As with any product one considers using, check with your avian vet first.

#185177 - 11/16/08 08:44 AM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: EchosMom]  
LeAnn Offline
LeAnn  Offline

Yeah I would take him to a vet!

Kerr&Rumor
#185189 - 11/16/08 08:01 PM Re: Simon has started plucking! [Re: LeAnn]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Simon's Mom, how did the appointment with Dr. Onorati go yesterday?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny