Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 47 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#182331 - 10/22/08 04:53 PM World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
The world’s rarest cockatoo has been found in Indonesia. A research team on behalf of the Indonesian Parrot Project rediscovered the Yellow-crested Abbott’s cockatoo this summer in the Masalembu Archipelago. This archipelago is in the remote Java Sea, north of the cities of Surabaya and Bali, and east of southern Sumatra.

Parrots are the most endangered bird family. A number of the parrots threatened with extinction are found only in Indonesia. Four of the five cockatoo species listed on the highest category of protection by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species are found in Indonesia. Of these, the Yellow-crested cockatoos (Cacatua sulphurea) are the most imperiled. This species contains four subspecies. Three of these are fairly well studied. However, one (C. sulphurea abbotti) has remained largely a mystery until now, but is known to be at great risk.

Studies in the 1990’s, which remain largely unpublished, found that only 5-10 individuals remained on Masakambing. However, there are essentially no extant data since that time, and intervening extinction was a distinct possibility.

Therefore, the Indonesian Parrot Project, a U.S. all-volunteer, non-profit NGO working with Konservasi Kakatua Indonesia (its allied NGO) launched an expedition to the Masalembu Archipelago in June and July of 2008 . The field work was led by Dudi Nandika and Dwi Agustina (both from Jakarta, Indonesia and co-founders of KKI) working under the guidance of Dr. Stewart Metz, President and Director of the Indonesian Parrot Project.

Due to the small size of Masakambing, Nandika and Agustina were able to make detailed surveys of the entire island. Once the skies had been filled with flocks of these cockatoos; now a total of only ten cockatoos was identified--four males, four females, and two juveniles--making them the most threatened cockatoo in the wild and one of the world’s rarest birds. Like other members of the C. sulphurea species, these beautiful birds have a largely white body with a brilliant yellow, forward-curving crest, and slight yellow on their ear covert feathers. They may be the largest of the four subspecies. The first photographs of these birds in the wild outside of Indonesia were acquired, as was some videotape footage of the birds mating, preening, eating, playing with twigs, examining nest holes, and similar natural behaviors.

Two major threats to the survival of the Masakambing cockatoo were identified. One is their capture for the illegal pet bird trade. It is usually nestlings, rather than adult birds, which are taken. Formerly, they were trapped in large numbers by outside visitors who took them to Bali and Sumbawa Islands. Now, with the marked decline in their numbers, the birds are only sought by government officials, who keep them as pets due to the prestige of owning such a rare bird. A second risk factor has been the logging of trees which had been suitable to provide food and nest holes for these cockatoos. This area has been planted, especially with coconut palms, with almost total destruction of previously favored habitat flora such a kapuk trees (Ceiba pentandra) and mangrove (Avicennia apiculata).

Due to the extreme gravity of the situation, an intensive conservation program was initiated on behalf of these cockatoos. Visits were made to Junior and Senior High Schools to teach students the principles of conservation, increase their awareness of the plight of the birds, and foster pride in their rare and unique bird. T-shirts are being made to reinforce this message. Laws to protect these birds had been passed but only in the distant “kabupatan” (district) of Madura and these decrees are out of date; there are plans to update these and extend them locally to the islands of the Masalembu Archipelago themselves, where they are more likely to be enacted. Officers from the armed forces and police locally were taught about the protections already in place nationally and internationally and were encouraged to conserve the birds. Stickers reminding villagers of the plight of their cockatoo will be placed at suitable locations.

Other measures under consideration include: paying the villagers for each cockatoo which is allowed to successfully fledge (leave the nest); hiring local villagers as “wardens” to protect the nests from disturbances; protection of remaining habitat; increasing knowledge about the biology of the bird through ecological research studies; holding town meetings for informational and awareness purposes; and providing artificial nestboxes for breeding. The most aggressive and complex approach might be to initiate a captive breeding program. For the latter, attempts would be made to locate and breed any C. sulphurea abbotti outside the island or in local zoological parks. Their chicks could then be used to repopulate Masakambing (unfortunately, the other two islands are too deforested to consider for this approach).

It is hoped that, in view of the gravity of the situation, international assistance and funding can be found to save this magnificent but rapidly vanishing cockatoo.

Source: Indonesian Parrot Project

#182336 - 10/22/08 05:28 PM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: Kim & Lilly]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
I googled the species & there was a photo posted of 2 of them. They are beautiful. Hopefully they will be protected so their flock can grow.

Gail
#182338 - 10/22/08 05:38 PM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: Bird Mom]  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Here is the video and pictures from IPP's website. Kim

http://www.indonesian-parrot-project.org/project_abbotti.html

#182375 - 10/22/08 08:28 PM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: Kim & Lilly]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

I wish there were some way to save these beautiful creatures from extinction but with so few left I'm not sure it's possible. frown BUT it never hurts to keep trying..

#182379 - 10/22/08 08:33 PM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: rockinseattle]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: rockinseattle
I wish there were some way to save these beautiful creatures from extinction but with so few left I'm not sure it's possible. frown BUT it never hurts to keep trying..

I agree. The best way to save them is to leave them alone and quit stealing their home.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#183795 - 11/03/08 07:39 PM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
WOW - I missed this! Totally awesome!!! Thanks for posting it Kim!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#197700 - 04/04/09 11:54 PM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: EchosMom]  
whitewings56 Offline
whitewings56  Offline

rome, Italy
Kim that's great and very interesting and sometimes its nice to hear about some people trying to do something positive and good. I have 3 citron-crested toos and I knew they were from the Sumba Island and they were an endangered spieces but I didn't know it was so bad .. as usual we always wait for things to degenrate before doing something.
Anyway I had to declare them to the enviormental police department and to obtain the new CITES will be a big mess. At presnt in Italy you cannot sell them like all Appendix 1.. which is good.

#208784 - 09/10/09 04:57 PM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: whitewings56]  
Freebird1969 Offline
Freebird1969  Offline

Surrey, UK
I am a member of the www.SCA.org.uk who are supporting this project.

I really do hope they make a come back, it's so very sad.

Owed by, Suki (MSC), Coco (Citron), Oliver (U2)& lots of little ones
http://www.parrotcare.org.uk/
#253459 - 09/26/13 07:11 PM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: Kim & Lilly]  
kevinmc2013 Offline
kevinmc2013  Offline

Looks like A Sulphur crest, what is so rare about it.

#253468 - 09/26/13 09:39 PM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: Kim & Lilly]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
This particular species of Indonesia cockatoos disappeared in the wild and were rediscovered in 2008...thus the Indonesia Parrot Project initiated an intense conservation project on their behalf.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#253471 - 09/27/13 02:46 AM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: kevinmc2013]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Study your Sulphur-crests:

Cockatoo Classifications

#258154 - 03/04/15 03:50 PM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: Kim & Lilly]  
AudreyM Offline
AudreyM  Offline

Toronto, ON Canada
Thanks so much for sharing this. I am fairly new to the cockatoo group (education wise) and I believe strongly that the more we can spread the word and educate others about endangered species the better off we will all be. There are lots of groups through World Parrot Trust that are working to save many endangered parrots and the work they do is amazing! Let's hope that they are just as successful with all of these cockatoos.

Audrey McDonough
Passionate Nutritionist & Parrot Owner
#258155 - 03/04/15 03:51 PM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: Charlie]  
AudreyM Offline
AudreyM  Offline

Toronto, ON Canada
Is there another way to access this file? It says that I don't have permission… Thank you!

Audrey McDonough
Passionate Nutritionist & Parrot Owner
#258156 - 03/04/15 04:19 PM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: AudreyM]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Thank you for pointing this out. That is my personal website and I must have pushed the wrong buttons. I will not be in a position to fix it for almost a week. Please check back and thanks again!

#258173 - 03/08/15 09:54 PM Re: World’s Rarest Cockatoo Rediscovered in Indonesia [Re: Charlie]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
It should work now. Thank you again!

Cockatoo Classifications

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny