Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#182071 - 10/20/08 08:16 PM Auctions  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I have decided to delete any posts that refer, directly, to bird auctions. As much as we hate them, they are legal and we are not going to stop them. It is easy to find them, just search. Our main goal should still be to discourage breeding because auctions are just another problem for birds which are over bred. Breeding is the illness, everything else is just a symptom.

Another reason to delete these posts is to minimize the amount of publicity that these people get. A large board like Mytoos can cause a huge number of "clicks" and traffic. Publicity is also a mechanism to alert and congregate pity purchasers. We do not want to be a part of that. Money is still changing hands. The symptom may appear to be relieved but the illness still rages.

I am not criticizing anyone that made such a post, just trying to explain why we feel it is not in the best interest of the birds to participate in these things.

#182083 - 10/20/08 08:49 PM Re: Auctions [Re: Charlie]  
KarenH Offline
KarenH  Offline

FL
I understand.. and wouldn't be interested myself if it were just an auction. Again, the auction is of birds confiscated from a rescue.

#182085 - 10/20/08 08:51 PM Re: Auctions [Re: KarenH]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Thank you for understanding. I do not come to this conclusion lightly. We have been down this road several times before and I really think we end up doing more harm than good. The most out of control version is outlined in the below post.

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=129712&page=1

I realize that these are confiscated birds being sold by the state to anyone with a dollar. Is where they are going any better than were they were? How sad, just another link in the chain of pain these parrots carry on their backs.

Last edited by Charlie; 10/20/08 08:56 PM.
#182088 - 10/20/08 08:58 PM Re: Auctions [Re: Charlie]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I am the one who deleted the thread and I understand you want to help KarenH. My instinct is to help the unfortunate as well but what we need to think about here is...

Who gains from selling the birds...who gets the money form selling them and for what?

at the end of the day is it still a pity purchase.Most likely yes.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#182101 - 10/20/08 10:15 PM Re: Auctions [Re: Janny]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
In this particular instance (I saw the thread before it was deleted) all the protest and letter writing in the world wouldn't stop it because it is a State auction, being held in accordance with the laws of that state. "Livestock", which in many states includes exotic birds, must be auctioned pursuant to statutes. Changing the statutes is where change will be effectuated.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#182104 - 10/20/08 11:01 PM Re: Auctions [Re: Charlie]  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: Charlie
I have decided to delete any posts that refer, directly, to bird auctions. As much as we hate them, they are legal and we are not going to stop them. It is easy to find them, just search. Our main goal should still be to discourage breeding because auctions are just another problem for birds which are over bred. Breeding is the illness, everything else is just a symptom.

Another reason to delete these posts is to minimize the amount of publicity that these people get. A large board like Mytoos can cause a huge number of "clicks" and traffic. Publicity is also a mechanism to alert and congregate pity purchasers. We do not want to be a part of that. Money is still changing hands. The symptom may appear to be relieved but the illness still rages.

I am not criticizing anyone that made such a post, just trying to explain why we feel it is not in the best interest of the birds to participate in these things.

I totally agree Charlie, we have the same policy at FTB. While the intentions of the poster may be noble and good, the sad fact is that these auctions and pity purchases will continue as long as we give them the publicity they seek, and a venue. They KNOW that bird people have huge hearts and prey on them, hoping we will feel such pity for the birds, we will do anything to get the birds out of the situation they are in.

Pity purchasing is only lining their pockets with more money. As hard as it is, we have to resist the impulse to put more money into their hands. And even if we are protesting an auction, they KNOW they are still getting publicity and they don't care how they get it.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny, Michael