Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 7 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17951 - 02/09/06 03:32 PM Rascal laid an egg  
Magenta Offline
Magenta  Offline

Jacksonville, Florida
I used the search engine, however I am online only at work and can not take the time to read through everything.

Rascal laid her first egg last night. I uncovered her cage to find it, broken, on the bottom bars of the cage. She was perched near the top of her cage on her perch.

My question is, what do I do now? I made the mistake of taking it out. I read a few things in the search engine which says to keep it in the cage. It wasn't broken open, but was cracked.

I am going to make an appointment with the vet to see her.

I noticed people saying to use calcium supplements. Is this like getting calcium pills or something similar like liquid calcium from a pharmacy? She doesn't eat many veggies, so I want to make sure she gets calcium in some way, please give me product names if you can.

She doesn't have any nesting areas in the cage. I just put some new toys in the cage the other day. She has only had them for one day, and was using one to masterbate like she usually does. I took that toy out thinking that might be the problem, but I hate to take her toys away, should I just position it where she can't use it to masterbate, and if I do this, won't it make her mad?

#17952 - 02/09/06 04:58 PM Re: Rascal laid an egg  
katy girl Offline
Lives Here
katy girl  Offline
Lives Here

Katy, Texas
I am sure others can give you a lot more advice. My D2 just laid her first egg about two weeks ago and she has only laid the one. I removed it and did not add anything to the cage to help her nest. I do think you need to add more calcium to her diet though. Hopefully this breeding season will be over soon and they will get back to normal. Alger can give you some good advice on this.

#17953 - 02/11/06 12:44 AM Re: Rascal laid an egg  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
We found an egg in the bottom of Chucki's cage about a month ago. She was a he before this incident. Left it in the cage for 24 hours and Chucki had absolutely no interest in it so took it out. She never missed it. I scramble up an egg, shell and all, she loves it. We had a Tiel that laid nearly 200 eggs in her 8 years. Leaving the eggs in or taking them out didn't stop this one. Seems to depend upon the individual bird.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#17954 - 02/11/06 05:24 AM Re: Rascal laid an egg  
Anisja310 Offline
Anisja310  Offline

Canada
Definlity see your vet & learn everything you can. I wish I had when my U2 had layed her first egg maybe she'd still be with me.

#17955 - 02/13/06 02:10 PM Re: Rascal laid an egg  
Magenta Offline
Magenta  Offline

Jacksonville, Florida
Went to the vet Saturday and actually learned a lot from the trip.

Since she only layed the one egg, and hasn't done so since, the vet just said to change her environment around some, so we moved her cage in a different direction, took out her "mate" toy, which I might relocate a bit higher in her cage where she can't reach it to try and mate with, and of course, not a lot of petting.

Rascal did great though! She stayed pretty calm through all the poking and proding. I should get blood test results in later this week.

#17956 - 02/14/06 05:40 AM Re: Rascal laid an egg  
Ron Pack Offline
Lives Here
Ron Pack  Offline
Lives Here

Ohio
Sometimes these birds can really fool you when it comes to egg laying...

Ususally if they are going to lay another egg, it happens in a day or two or three, but I have one umbrella 'too that layed an egg, then ten days later layed another one. eek
Calci-Boost is a good supplement, but I wouldn't advise using it unless the blood work shows she needs it. Most vets like to see blood values improved thru diet alone....

#17957 - 02/14/06 05:39 PM Re: Rascal laid an egg  
Magenta Offline
Magenta  Offline

Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah I was a little skeptical about doing any calcium supps on my own and wanted to wait to see if the vet advised me on it. She never mentioned it and we will see what the results are later in the week. Hope all is good!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny