Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#178501 - 09/19/08 12:53 AM So what is normal?  
Jessah Offline
Jessah  Offline

NSW, Australia
Cocky was excited this morning and "bouncing" up and down on his cage hollering "Polly want a cracker" and "hello cocky" I figure he was just happy that it was morning and he was out?

Also i was talking to him and leaning on the edge of his cage, he walked over to me and nudged my arm with his beak (i thought he was going to bite me!!) and he stuck his tongue out to "taste" my arm. He also did it with my hand and when i lifted my hand he put his head under it for a neck scratch.

I don't want to encourage his behavior until i KNOW that he's not trying to form a mate bond.

He also bit my thumb (which i mentioned in another post) which was my fault he came slowly towards me and rubbed his beak on my thumb and then bit me as in to say "I'll have that now" I just quietly walked away from him which he wasn't too impressed with.

#178508 - 09/19/08 01:52 AM Re: So what is normal? [Re: Jessah]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
Sounds normal to me.

#178525 - 09/19/08 03:10 AM Re: So what is normal? [Re: Elliott]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
There is nothing wrong with touching your bird. Best way to build trust. It's how you touch the bird. His actions show he wants to touch. There is a difference between touching/interacting and sitting, cuddling and "petting".

“Petting” is a huge no no. You should never pet these birds anywhere other than the head or neck. Ever. And even then you do not pet or stroke the bird. Do it like another bird would. Preen individual feathers with your nails like a beak. Touch their feet. Get right down there and inspect the feathers. Talk and explain what you are doing in great detail. They listen. Rub the very tips of his tail feathers in your fingers. But do not pet the bird. A human can keep the hormones going much longer than natural with petting alone. If any kind of mating behavior starts, do not make a fuss. Just quickly divert the bird with a toy or change locations.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#178526 - 09/19/08 03:31 AM Re: So what is normal? [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Jessah Offline
Jessah  Offline

NSW, Australia
Thanks John!

Thats what ive been doing, scratching him on the back of the head mainly, and touching his feet.

My aunt however has been petting him and I tell her not to do it but she continues to -sigh-.
I've told her that its building a "mating" relationship with him and could cause aggression in him towards her in others. But no matter how much i persist when she's near him she's stroking him.

I honeslty don't want her anywhere near him, she's only here for a holiday and I don't want him forming a bond with her when she's only going to leave.
I've talked to my mother about approaching her about not spending much time with Cocky but she seriously doesn't listen. She thinks she knows best... This coming from a person who's closest interaction with a bird is eating chicken.

#178527 - 09/19/08 03:41 AM Re: So what is normal? [Re: Jessah]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
How I see it: This is your bird, thus it's YOUR rules. If she cannot follow the rules, then she shouldn't be allowed to touch the bird. I know it's hard to get family members to listen, but you have to. Search for bite pictures (fosterparrots has a good one) and show her. Tell her that if she continues, this could be her.

I think a lot of people think of it like petting other animals like a cat. The way I explain petting a bird to someone is likening it to "petting" a human in certain places (I'm sure you know what I mean). It's a little crude I suppose, but it usually gets the point across.

#178528 - 09/19/08 03:46 AM Re: So what is normal? [Re: Jessah]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
When she's gone. She's gone. I wouldn't sweat it as long as she's not staying for months. eeek!!!

She'll find out this chicken "bites"!!

Show her this video. This attack was not provoked in any way. He gave no sign of the bite. I KNOW THE SIGNS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO0kCRL_63c

Last edited by TiKa's Dad; 09/19/08 03:50 AM. Reason: added link

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#178531 - 09/19/08 04:09 AM Re: So what is normal? [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Jessah Offline
Jessah  Offline

NSW, Australia
Thank you, it's just tough with her, most of the time its like she lives in her own world!
In a way (i KNOW this is mean) I want him to bite her, because it hurts and maybe then she'll get the point about not stroking the damn bird!!

I'll have another talk to her this afternoon, we have guests this weekend so I might just make up a sign "How to pet Cocky" and tape it to the wall near his cage..

#178565 - 09/19/08 03:04 PM Re: So what is normal? [Re: Jessah]  
MagnusG2 Offline
MagnusG2  Offline

Denmark
I'll say it like Cidsa. It's your bird and your rules. If she can't handle the bird in the way you want her to, she can't handle him at all. I know it's difficult. People with no "bird-education" just sigh and think us bird people are crazy and fuss about the strangest things.

smile

John: OUCH!!!! frown

Last edited by MagnusG2; 09/19/08 03:05 PM.

Ninna
Owned by 1 G2 (Magnus)

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny