Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 75 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#205172 - 07/29/09 04:32 PM Re: It's showtime - School is in. [Re: ZazuSally]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
I would say, constructs....

hormonal may group together behaviors such as biting, screaming, nesting

hates me may group together dive bombing, the low crouching with the swaying back and forth, biting

destructive may be chewing up perches, furniture, toys only lasting a half a day, putting holes in blinds

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#205173 - 07/29/09 04:55 PM Re: It's showtime - School is in. [Re: Brandy's mom]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Do you know why they are constructs?

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#205174 - 07/29/09 05:01 PM Re: It's showtime - School is in. [Re: ZazuSally]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
they put a label on a behavior and not describe the specific behavior

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#205177 - 07/29/09 05:27 PM Re: It's showtime - School is in. [Re: Brandy's mom]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
OK, two of them are constructs and one is a behaviour. Read this before you answer. Even I had to go back over and read it again. LOL Destructive behaviour is also subjective like screaming. What one person considers destructive, another may think is totally appropriate considering they are parrots. There are some behaviours that we should not even attempt to change and a parrot is designed to destroy things which is why we need to give them acceptable things to destroy because they don't care if they chew on a chunk of wood from Home Depot or your $2000 piece of antique furniture. Wood chewing is too reinforcing for most parrots, I know there are exceptions.

So a construct is a label. It is what you think your bird is. We need to describe behaviour in clear, observable terms in order to change it.

Example: Love is a construct or a label. It is really a word for many behaviors displayed in particular contexts. I can operationalize “love”. She would spread her wings and run up and down the length of the tub, move in and out of the shower spray, and make all sorts of grey sounds. Now do you know what behavior I mean when I say that she loved it?

Operationally define means to describe the behaviour in clear, observable terms.

Bev

Is this making more sense?

#205249 - 07/30/09 06:38 AM Re: It's showtime - School is in. [Re: ZazuSally]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
"Destructive" is definitely the behavior (even though it is subjective). Destruction can be observed. Labels, such as "hormonal", "aggressive", "happy", etc. only tell us what we think the bird is rather than what the bird does. It is important that we concentrate on what the bird is doing rather than what we think the bird is feeling or thinking. Example: One person may see a bird hiss, and call (label) it aggressive. Another person may see the bird hiss, and call (label) it afraid.

Denise, you did a good job and I love that you picked destructive - that one was a trick example, because it is so subjective. smile

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#205533 - 08/02/09 04:33 AM Re: It's showtime - School is in. [Re: ZazuSally]  
FunnyFarm Offline
FunnyFarm  Offline

DE
Hi, I hope this is the correct place.

constucts:
Gretta is scared
Kernal is Loveable
Gretta is nevous

Behaviours:

Gretta retreats at least 3 feet when approached
Gretta Honks to communicate (flock call)
Kernal rubs his beak on me then tumbles down my front

Am I close? Deb

Thanks Bev

#205536 - 08/02/09 06:59 AM Re: It's showtime - School is in. [Re: FunnyFarm]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Good job, Deb. It's important to know what a construct is when you are trying to modify behaviour. A construct is not behaviour.

Retreats, honks and rubs are behaviours that you can observe. Scared, lovable and nervous are indeed constructs.

Bev

#208062 - 08/30/09 05:25 AM Re: It's showtime - School is in. [Re: ZazuSally]  
Bogie's Buddy Offline
Bogie's Buddy  Offline

Ct
Constructs
(1)Bogie loves me.
(2)Bogie hate me doing the daily crossword puzzle in the newspaper.
(3)Bogie hates me talking on the phone.

Behaviors
(1)Bogie will push his head into my chest every morning,and rests his head against my shoulder during the day.
(2)Bogie will attempt to take the pen out of my hand, gently nip the fingers holding the pen, and if I leave the double page paper open and unattended, he has, on several occasions, made a point of shredding the crossword section out of the paper, while leaving the rest untouched.
(3)Bogie will make several shrill barks, then either attempt to chew the phone or my adjacent ear, or nip at the elbow of the arm holding the phone.
How did I do?

John

Last edited by Bogie's Buddy; 08/31/09 01:54 AM. Reason: addition and correction
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny