Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RB2sMom), 92 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#176445 - 09/03/08 05:18 AM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
they do it so they can crank them out sooner and start w/ new ones...

Abe
#176474 - 09/03/08 03:27 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Ketrel]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
Poor babies. I think we should make Mytoos.com business cards and have people hand them out to pet stores. smile I doubt many people would pay attention, but if we changed the mind of just ONE pet store manager, we could make such a difference.

#176475 - 09/03/08 03:40 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#176478 - 09/03/08 03:57 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
I should've known! I'm going to print some off now. I have a friend that works at a pet store. I'll make him deliver some of these to his boss

#176638 - 09/04/08 06:19 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
I think Bella is mad at me today. This morning (after feeding and playing together) I decided that Bella needed another shower. The first time we gave her a shower she was fine and dandy. In fact, she seemed to like it. Well today was different. I put her on her shower perch and turned the mister on and she tried to dart out of the shower at me. I tried to calm her and thought that she might warm up after a minute. Sadly, she didnít. She began to look scared, so I turned the water off and took her out to dry off. I set her down for a minute on top of her cage, but when I went to let her step up again, she simply inched away from my hand and turned to face the wall. I feel so bad! I just thought that she would warm up because last time she really liked her shower (or at least seemed to). When my husband came out, she practically begged for him to let her step up. I sure hope I didnít scar her.

Tonight when I go home from work, is there something special you would suggest I do to ask her forgiveness? Next time Iíll know betterÖ

Last edited by Nomokis; 09/04/08 06:40 PM.
#176640 - 09/04/08 06:33 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
I always take the birds into the bathroom when I shower. I never force them to take a shower. I have a thick rope hanging in the bathroom that stretches right across the bathroom. Some of it hangs above the shower. Some does not. They have the option of coming over and getting splashed or they can stay on the other end of the rope.

Tonight, that will all be forgotten.

John
#176642 - 09/04/08 06:42 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
That's a great idea. I always bring her in the bathroom when I shower too, but never thought to hang a rope where she could climb over. Thanks for more wonderful advise.

And you're sure she wont hold it against me? I felt awful. I really didn't think it'd scare her like it did. Last time was so peaceful. I wonder what changed between then and now. Maybe she just wasn't in the mood.

#176648 - 09/04/08 07:01 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Quote:
Maybe she just wasn't in the mood.

You did not force the issue so not much harm done.

John
#176666 - 09/04/08 08:18 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Hi Nomokis.

I agree totally with John. You immediately removed Bella when you could tell she was unhappy. She won't hold it against you tonight.

Tomorrow morning, take her in the bathroom again and just let her be in there with you while the shower is running. Place her stand near the shower, but not in the shower, where she can see you. She just may indicate a desire to be in there with you - my Isabella will lean her body towards the shower with wings held out from her body if she wants in. I, too, do not force her if she has no interest. Usually, though, she enjoys being in the shower.

Good luck!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#177072 - 09/08/08 04:37 AM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: MissYumYum]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
So I got my first bite. Heh! It wasn't too bad, but I should've been more cautious. When Bella gets tired, she likes to cuddle up on my chest for a minute before being taken to bed. She was resting and I coughed. It scared her and she automatically snapped her head up and bit my nose. It bled lightly, but not bad. And I sure know it wasn't her fault. She was startled.

Do you think it's a bad idea to let her cuddle on me for a minute before going into the cage for the night? I didn't see any harm before the nip incident.

Also, how do you guys travel with your 'Toos? Is there a really good travel cage you'd suggest? I can't find any I really like.

#177074 - 09/08/08 04:51 AM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
The time right before bed is a special time. Use that positive time to make going to bed positive as well.

I look for the largest cage/carrier that will fit in the car. In my case 2 need to fit.

John
#177079 - 09/08/08 05:13 AM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

John those cards are great!
I think cuddle time before bed is very important. In my case it is. I always cuddle my foster Brooklyn prior to putting her in sleep cage each night. The other night when my dog had her puppies and I didnt get to cuddle with either Razzle or Brooklyn, they sensed something not right and Brooklyn was not her cheery "hi baby" coming out of sleep cage, in fact we cuddle when taken out of sleep cage with coffee and waching news..she ust wanted on cage. I think it is a great thing, my daughter and I still do this and talk about the day after I put the birds to sleep and I think this also improves our relationship. I say dont stop, just watch the sneezes, sudden movement and coughing =)
In fact while working with Brooklyn I will cough or do something loud on purpose, her crest would go up but now a few weeks later less loud noises have bothered her.
Lori B

***Treat others how you yourself expect to be treated***
#177081 - 09/08/08 05:25 AM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

I agree we always have cuddle time prior to bed around here. The birds seem to love it and it is just part of our routine now, they expect it and know bedtime is coming.

Deborah

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#177116 - 09/08/08 02:42 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
Thank you all for your advice! I was really dreading the idea of not getting that evening cuddle. Itís pretty much my favorite part of the day now! smile And I can tell she really likes it too. So, yeah, Iíll just be more careful with loud noises.

Is there a certain type of travel cage you have found works best? All of the ones Iíve seen are too small (or at least I feel they are). I want my girl to be comfortable!

#177122 - 09/08/08 03:18 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
I use dog carrier type crates and customize it with perches and toys. There are a million kinds of travel cages. Some birds like closed in type. Others more open. You know your bird and what fits in the vehicle. I always try to find the biggest carrier that I can still jam in the car. A tight fit helps keep it from moving around.

John
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny