Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#175297 - 08/25/08 04:18 AM Sleeping Bella and other updates  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
All right. So it is day four with Bella. She is really starting to open up and show her real colors, which is great. She was 'displaying' tonight for fifteen minutes or so, squawking and flapping like there was no tomorrow. It was rather adorable. She really seems to be a happy cockatoo, and healthy for that matter. I think she is learning to enjoy her new lifestyle. She's even picked up a few new words already. Today she said "Good Bella" and "How are you" for the first time!!! She's brilliant.

Her eating habits and starting to work themselves out too. She is starting to eat some fresh fruit (not much, but some) and even some oatmeal. I don't think she was ever fed fresh fruits and veggies previously. It's a big shock to her. She almost seems scared at first, but will warm up to the idea of eating after seeing me eat something similar.

I just have a few things to enquire about tonight. First off, do 'Toos ever talk in their sleep? I'm almost certain that she's sleeping right now, but occasionally I'll hear this cute little 'peep' from her sleep room. Is that normal? Also, do 'Toos ever sleep with their eyes open a little? She fell asleep today, but her little eyes were still partially open. I'm pretty certain she was sleeping, as she didn't move a muscle for about 15 minutes and had one arm tucked up like she does when sleeping. Odd.

Tonight we learned that poor Bella is frightened to death of thunderstorms! Poor little girl was just pacing back and forth and crying like a little chick. I tried to comfort her, but she was very irritable, so I decided to just let her have a little space until the storm calmed down. Luckily, the storm didn't last long. We'll know to be ready for the next big one. smile

Over all, she is doing amazing. She met my parents today and immediately took to my dad. He's a bird guy. I guess she could tell. wink They call her their 'only granddaughter' and have already started lavishing gifts on the little lady. I'll have to make sure they don't spoil her TOO much!

We're having a lot of fun learning together. She's a good baby. Thanks for helping me be as good of a 'Too mom as I can.

#175347 - 08/25/08 04:51 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
Today is my first day back to work. I've only been gone for three hours and I already miss her alot! I'm sure it's good for her to have the time alone, but I get nervous easily (as we already determined. Heh). Hopefully she'll do just great on her own today.

#175348 - 08/25/08 04:56 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
You could setup a web cam and watch her over the internet to gain insight and ease of mind.

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=7&Number=169123&Searchpage=1&Main=18087&Words=network+cam&topic=0&Search=true#Post169123

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#175349 - 08/25/08 05:02 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
Wow! That's an interesting idea. I might have to go buy a webcam now. smile

#175352 - 08/25/08 06:41 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
FeatheredAngels Offline
Lives Here
FeatheredAngels  Offline
Lives Here

very new on the site, so these are just my opinions and take them for what they are worth hehe

Over the years I have had a few different parrots and found that some are mumblers in there sleep. However once in a deep sleep eyes are usually fully closed and not much mumbling or chirping is made. Since she is still so new in your home though she may not be sleeping as soundly as she will eventually.

As for thunderstorms, this can bother some birds forever depending on how it was handled while they were young. We try to sit and comfort our little angels whenever noise stresses them, or play some nice soft music. My hubby and I have gotten up in the middle of the night to sit with a nervous bird during terrible thunderstorms lol. Talking softly, singing quietly or playing some music.........whatever seems to help.

Deborah

Deborah
A Too is not a pet, it is a choice for life!

#175387 - 08/25/08 09:41 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
Hey guys. I got back from work about an hour ago. I don't think Bella did much of anything while I was gone. I put some treats in her cage and a few new toys, but they all went untouched. She only went to the bathroom on one side of her cage, so I don't even think she moved around much. That's so sad. I feel so bad for the little girl. Maybe she still catching up on rest and took today to sleep? I just hope she learns to play when we aren't here. Right now she is just being quiet and stand-offish. Is she upset with me because I left her?

She is sneezing a lot today. If she keeps sneezing this much, I might call the vet to ask him about it.

#175425 - 08/26/08 03:56 AM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: FeatheredAngels]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: FeatheredAngels

My hubby and I have gotten up in the middle of the night to sit with a nervous bird during terrible thunderstorms lol. Talking softly, singing quietly or playing some music.........whatever seems to help.

Ditto here, Nokomis! I have gone into my birds' sleeping room in the middle of the night many times during bad storms to comfort them! My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I'm up anyway (I can't sleep through storms), so why not?

I also agree that Bella will sleep more soundly as she settles in more in your home. You're doing a great job!! I can tell how much you love her already - she's such a lucky girl to have found you!

Although I am a stay-at-home mom, I am away from the house for sometimes upwards of 6 - 7 hours at a time. I, too, have found many times when it's clear that Isabella has not budged from the same spot I left her in, even hours later. I think that like humans, our birds sometimes have a sleep deficit to make up and simply take advantage of the quiet time to catch up! Wouldn't we all like to do that sometimes? As you go through the days, weeks and months ahead, try to be aware of the ebb and flow of Bella's activity. I think you'll find a pattern, and many times, a logical explanation for what now seems to be odd grin!

It's possible she is a little miffed at you for leaving her while at work. They punish us sometimes, these feathered darlings smile. It's all in the routine, and Bella will get used to the routines of your household. Just give her some time to adjust. I think the webcam is a terrific idea! Tika'sDad and several other members use these to give them peace of mind while away at work or elsewhere. If I ever have to go back to work in a conventional office situation, I will certainly get one of those set up at my house.

Be patient and continue being vigilant! You've got all the time in the world!

If the sneezing is excessive, and continues into the day tomorrow, I would give the vet a quick call about it. However, you were just in for a well visit, so chances are, it's nothing. But, for that peace of mind... a phone call to the vet is priceless!

Take care,

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#175435 - 08/26/08 04:47 AM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: MissYumYum]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
The sneezing has significantly reduced. I think she might have just gotten into something that wasn't good for her little nose. She seemed pretty healthy later on, and I'm sure the avian vet would've picked up on something like a sinus infection if she had one.

After I fed her, she went back to her normal, perky, loud self, which was good. She'll probably be mad at me tomorrow for leaving her again, but she seems very forgiving. smile As long as she gets plenty of food and a good scratch behind the head, she warms right up.

I'll have to take some pictures and post them!

#175437 - 08/26/08 05:14 AM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Quote:
She'll probably be mad at me tomorrow for leaving her again, but she seems very forgiving.

I spend 1 on 1 time with my birds in the mornings and evenings like most people. I spend more of that time in the mornings. My birds are calmer in the mornings and more receptive to learning and interacting. I get up earlier than I have to in order to get this time. In the evenings they are nippier and more wound up. Getting up earlier allows me to put them to bed earlier. My birds like 12 hours of sleep. Almost to the minute. Their internal clocks are amazingly accurate.

Spending that time in the morning gives my birds the mental stimulation they need and reduces the separation anxiety of leaving. This also allows you time to make leaving a fun, rewarding thing. Not a quick get this done and I'm out of here thing.

John
#175456 - 08/26/08 12:55 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
I plan to spend at least an hour and a half with her each morning before work, but I agree that more time would help a lot. I might talk with my boss today about coming in slightly later. He is really understanding.

I could get up earlier and go to sleep earlier, but my husband is a college student and has a lot of homework in the evenings. I like to spend an hour with him before going to sleep since that's our only time we really ever see each other. Our schedules are quite the opposite.

#175483 - 08/26/08 04:14 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Oh. He's just a human. You can teach them to jump through hoops. Wear your training outfit. (heels, sexy nighty) He'll do any trick, anytime.

John
#175492 - 08/26/08 05:03 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
Hehehee. Perfect idea. smile

So how long have you had Tika and Amanda? I assume they were both from rescues?

#175495 - 08/26/08 05:23 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Tika was a rescue from a private home. 14 years old now. Dec. 2004. Amanda is a re home 18 months later. 20 years old now. We are her 6th (last)owner.

Last edited by TiKa's Dad; 08/26/08 05:24 PM.

John
#175498 - 08/26/08 05:45 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
6th home. Wow. She must have been really ready for a steady home to stay in. Are she and Tika pretty close now? Your pictures look as if they are.

I just got to talk to Bella on speaker phone. My husband called me to let me talk to her. That was reassuring. She sounded very happy. smile We just bought 'Bird Sitter', the DVD, and might experiment with that sometime soon.

Last edited by Nomokis; 08/26/08 05:46 PM.
#175499 - 08/26/08 05:54 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
They are friends. Only friends. Except during hormones. Then they love each other for a few weeks and back to friends. Amanda bosses Tika around. They each have separate aviaries with 1 shared wall. Never left together un supervised. Ever.

John
#175568 - 08/27/08 04:07 AM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
I would love to post some of my new Bella pictures, but I have no idea where to start. Is there a site that lets you upload pictures for free? Thank you in advanced!

Bella was crazy tonight! I could really tell how much fun she was having. I can see that she is starting to feel like she fits in a little more. That makes me so happy! She's even been swinging on her swing and playing games in the cage on her own. Yay! At least I know she's not just sitting quietly the whole time I'm at work.

Today I fed her broccoli for the first time and she loved it! She ate it right up. That's one thing we'll be getting more of. wink

I've read a good bit on the site about cockatoos being 'one person birds', but is it possible that a cockatoo might like two people equally? So far, Bella seems equally pleased with my husband AND me. She switches back and forth on who she wants attention from at any given moment, but is with each of us pretty equally. Should we expect that to change, or is it possible that she just chose both of us???

#175577 - 08/27/08 04:43 AM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Stupid simple picture/video upload to web album

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post170487

Your behavior will be a big factor in whether the bird chooses a "mate". Be proper "flock" mates and try to teach the bird to play a "following" flock member role. By showing leadership the bird will follow that lead in how to act in the flock. Keep things as equal as possible.

Last edited by TiKa's Dad; 08/27/08 05:02 AM.

John
#175586 - 08/27/08 06:02 AM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Flock leadership.

Quote:
The fundamental truth is that, as prey animals who derive their physical safety from living in flocks, parrots are instinctively “programmed” to learn their survival skills during their early years before they begin to breed and are fully independent. Whether they are in the wild or in our living rooms, they are learning…every minute…and this learning takes place as patterning. A young parrot is instinctively programmed to look to a “flock” leader of some sort to teach him what he needs to know. If he lives with a loving human who is unaware of this responsibility and works instead to please him and discover what he “likes” so that he will be “happy,” it sets the stage or a myriad of misunderstandings and ultimate behavior problems.

You should strive to be the "flock leader". This much-discussed concept is never really achieved through any type of dominance or control. It is achieved through the process of the owner assuming a leadership role, teaching the parrots about new things by introducing them in an appropriate manner, which in turn, leads the parrot into depending upon the owner to show him what he needs to know and reassure him through the sometimes “scary” process of learning. Thus, a relationship akin to child and parent is established, which helps to prevent the frequently developed mate-bond type of relationship between owner and parrot which can be so problematic once the parrot reaches maturity. In fact, this is really the true manner in which owners establish themselves as “flock leaders” with their parrots.

John
#175678 - 08/28/08 04:45 AM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
Very good information. I've shared it with my husband and we plan to make it a responsibility we both take part in. We both love her so much, so I'd hate to see her turn her back to one or the other. I know she'll probably have a tendency to choose one of us over the other, but hopefully we can eliminate the 'she's MY mate, get away!' tendency.

She took her first shower this morning and seemed to really enjoy it. After we got out, she just wanted to talk and sign and flap her little wet wings. It was adorable. I'm amazed at how easygoing she is. I think I really lucked out. Of course, I realize that she's still in her honeymoon period, but I think she's doing well even for that. smile

#175704 - 08/28/08 03:15 PM Re: Sleeping Bella and other updates [Re: Nomokis]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
Does anyone have a rough estimation of what a healthy weight is for a one-year-old female Umbrella 'Too? We just bought a scale and I want to make sure I start off with some knowledge. smile

Also, what percentage of food do young cockatoos usually drop? Sometimes I wonder if she is getting enough food into her belly because she drops/throws so much. I have no problem cleaning up any lost food, but I want to make sure she’s eating enough.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny