Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#170820 - 07/23/08 06:43 PM Mission Statements  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
In light of recent developments, I think it would be a very good idea for all of our members that make regular contributions to avian rescue/sanctuaries to ensure that their money is going toward those activities only.

Most of these 501c3 organizations have a Mission Statement in their literature or websites. Check this carefully to ensure that they are not loosely veiled breeding enterprises. Read the literature carefully or you may be sending money to an entity that is hurting as much or more than they are helping our avian charges. It is your money and you will want to make sure that it will be working to help eliminate the captive breeding of even more psittacines which will end up inundating legitimate rescues/sanctuaries.

The overpopulation of parrots is due to breeding too many. Do you want your parrot or any beloved parrots going to any organizations that say things like the following?

From the Purpose and Mission Statement of the Gabriel Foundation of Colorado:

Quote:
The Gabriel Foundation is pleased to support responsible and ethical breeders who implement the very best standards of care for the
needs of the psittacine and parrot-like birds raised and housed in their aviaries. These persons are dedicated to the environmental and
psychological nurturance and enrichment of their birdsí lives, pursuing continuing education in the fields of aviculture, husbandry,
behavior and veterinary care. These persons take into consideration the need to make a difference in the welfare of each and every bird that
they place. They provide wide-ranging educational and supportive care with the birdís lifetime welfare as its goal. They remain a continued
resource for the birds and to their human caretakers that facilitates the success of the human/parrot bond.
The Gabriel Foundation believes that it is critical to the welfare of future generations of parrots to liaison with quality
individual breeders, veterinarians and retailers
who embrace the need to provide the public with comprehensive and accurate
educational materials and information regarding the specialized needs of parrots in captivity, those kept as companion pets and for
those needing our help to survive in the wild.

From the Mission Statement of The Tropics of North Carolina:

Quote:
To serve as a full time refuge for exotic birds of all species.

To reach the masses with public education and animal assisted therapy enrichment programs involving our handicapped and normal exotic birds.

To encourage responsible sales techniques for breeders and/or retail pet shops.

To encourage and support avian research for the purpose of conquering avian diseases.

To encourage responsible methods of breeding for the preservation of the species and not just for profit. And to reduce the opportunity for the spread of diseases among the exotic bird population.

From the Purpose Statement of Beaks n Wings Exotic Bird Rescue of Kansas:

Quote:
OUR PURPOSE:

The Purpose of Beak n Wings, Inc. shall be to furnish and exchange knowledge about and to promote the humane breeding and / or raising of pet birds, and to introduce the general public to the field of aviculture.

Please use this thread to add other counterproductive mission statements of rescues. People that need rescues do not need the heartaches that we are hearing about. They need to know how these people think.

#175454 - 08/26/08 10:34 AM Re: Mission Statements [Re: Charlie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Charlie I came across this site last week when looking through Rhode Island Craig's List. Nancy

From the home page of a Rhode Island Rescue/Aviary that also breeds budgies.
"Too Many parrots go unloved and unwanted due to many different circumstances. Flying Colors is an in-home private bird rescue and aviary for neglected, unwanted and even happy birds that need a good home.Flying Colors is a non-profit rescue.

I breed My OWN pairs of budgies that are not rescues and I absolutely do not breed any rescues I receive before they find loving homes. I do NOT breed them for profit. The babies I breed myself are also carefully placed in loving homes. I take in rescues to help them find forever homes not to add on to the problem. I also accept any of my birds back if the owners cannot care for them.
Don't Breed if you cant find homes for the babies

Don't buy if you don't know what your getting into

Adopt if you feel you are ready to take in a bird that is older, has problems, or needs work"

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#197608 - 04/03/09 05:49 PM Re: Mission Statements [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Must have something to do with "Flying Colors". There is a so-called "sanctuary" in NC - "Flying Colors Bird Sanctuary". They sport several videos on youtube including detailed instructions on how to hand feed and another entitled "To Breed or Not to Breed" using the aviculturists idiotic argument that it is conservation and preservation of species!!!!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#208787 - 09/10/09 05:44 PM Re: Mission Statements [Re: EchosMom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I want to bump this up. Always remember that these organizations are made up of boards and in some cases, board members are people that breed, sell and otherwise use parrots as chattel for their own lack of compassion and respect for intelligent life. It is a disgrace and we all need to make sure we understand these people and how they operate. Don't fall for slick website fronts, people. Do your homework in every case!

READ THIS!

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=208790&page=1

#215768 - 01/23/10 08:23 PM Re: Mission Statements [Re: Charlie]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
People, please familiarize yourselves with any rescues you support! Study them; do not blindly send your check! I'm bumping this topic to the top for new members.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny