Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17503 - 11/29/05 03:52 AM Straining when pooping  
Boonie Boy Offline
Boonie Boy  Offline

Pennsylvania
I have an 8 year old Male Umbrella Cockatoo who is just the greatest littl boy. About 2 years ago he started straining when he pooped, took him to 2 vets..antibiotics etc. Problem still continued. He would prolapse every time he pooped but always went back in. The end of August he started straining harder and the prolapse stayed out, took him to another vet and then was sent to another vet to have the prolapse fixed, he ended up with sutures placed in his vent to keep him form prolapsing, was then given antibiotics and a Luprone shot, within a week, straining had stopped a few weeks later straining started again went back to the vet and was given another shot, waited a week and he was still straining, back on antibiotics and seemed to stop straining about 5 days after he stopped the antibiotics he started straining again, back to the vet he removed sutures because he thought they were irratating him because they had been in for 2 months, got him home, first poop he prolapsed again, gave antibiotics for a week adn still no better, back to the vet and another round of sutures trying antibiotics for 3 weeks this time, it's been a week and still straining to the point where he makes noises, he pushes so hard. Trying to pin point if this is a physical problem or hormonal. Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel so bad for him and it is really wearing me out. He is an extremely happy bird and get plenty of attention, probably too much, I am working on behavioral things with him now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#17504 - 11/29/05 04:10 AM Re: Straining when pooping  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Hi. It sure sounds like you have had your hands full. We have had several members who have been though this. Sometimes the surgery worked right away and other times had to be repeated. Hopefully, some of them will respond. From my reading on the subject there seems to be two suture procedures but I do not know enough about them to discuss it with you. In your position, I think I would get a second, or third, opinion from other avian vets.

You can read the past posts about cloacal prolapse. Go to the top, upper right of the page, click on "search". Search for "prolapse" in "All Open Forums". I think you will get some good information and options. I wish you the very best luck and thanks for taking such good care of this little guy. smile

#17505 - 11/29/05 02:10 PM Re: Straining when pooping  
Boonie Boy Offline
Boonie Boy  Offline

Pennsylvania
I've been researching and researching and have read all the prolapse posts on this message board. I have seen some that are sucessful with the vent reduction surgery but I don't think this will work for my Boonie unless I can figure out what is causing him to strain. The vet said to ignore him when he strains but that doesn't work so we actually tell him "No" and he will then stop. I also just try to distract him by giving him a piece of wood or toy after I see him poop, he does poop normal but then just seems to feel the need to push. I wish I could be with him all the time to keep reinforcing the positive behavior. I've also researched cloapexy surgery, sounds too risky and I cannot put him through that. I've seen Kalani the cockatoo with this problem and seems that finally the last resort of prozac seemed to make a huge improvement but then he started plucking feathers. Boonie never gets aggressive, never bites and never screams, only when we get him dancing and playing around then he will get loud. If anyone knows the Cockatoo named Cricket I would love to talk to the owner. It sounds just like my Boonie. Cricket pulls feathers and strains and has had vent reduction surgery and will be on antibiotics on and off for the rest of his life and sounds like he is doing fine from the article I read.

#17506 - 11/29/05 03:10 PM Re: Straining when pooping  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
Hi Boonie Boy,
Poor birdie. I hope this problem can be straightened out soon. Is your 'too potty trained? I mean, is he trained to go in a specific spot to poop when he is out of the cage?
mom2p

#17507 - 11/29/05 03:46 PM Re: Straining when pooping  
Boonie Boy Offline
Boonie Boy  Offline

Pennsylvania
Yes, we potty trained him when he was a baby. I've had him since he was 6 months old. I have read that this causes problems also because they should never have to hold it. We've been noticing that when we sit him on his cage door he always tries to poop because he was trained to so we are working on breaking this potty training. I will put him on the floor or top of his cage instead of the door, seems to be helping. I just need to figure out why he just feels the urge to strain after he poops normal. I really think something is bothering him, hopefully the antibiotics and behavioral modifcation will work. He also had a test done for megabacteria and another culture test, I have to call the vet and see if they got the results yet.

#17508 - 11/29/05 04:05 PM Re: Straining when pooping  
LindaK Offline
Lives Here
LindaK  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
I am by no means an expert on this, but wouldn`t the diet be a possible reason? Just like in humans? If he got cooked carrots, soaked raisins, some meat? Anything that produces a soft stool.
Just an idea.
LindaK
PS: Just wanted to make sure that this has to be done with a Vets consent, of course.
LindaK

#17509 - 11/29/05 05:11 PM Re: Straining when pooping  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
The only reason I was asking is because when I first got Paulie, I thought it would be a good idea to potty train him. I started to train him, and he quickly began to learn. I would praise him for going potty in the right place. Soon I noticed that he wanted to earn the praise so badly that he was trying to go all the time. He was straining to go potty just to please me. When I realized this, I immediately stopped with the potty training. I'm wondering if perhaps potty training contributes to a bird learning to strain themselves, and then it becomes a habit. We all know how routine oriented 'toos can be... I think dropping the potty training is an excellent idea at this point. And I agree with LindaK. It would be a great idea to examine your bird's diet too.

#17510 - 11/29/05 05:57 PM Re: Straining when pooping  
Boonie Boy Offline
Boonie Boy  Offline

Pennsylvania
Thank you everyone for all the responses, I should have posted long ago. I was getting the idea that he might be constipated, I asked my vet if there were any foods that caused constipation and he said no, I know the vet just thinks it's hormonal. I'm sure diet has alot to do with his problems, he was on a seed diet plus whatever we would eat until 2 years ago, now he is totally on a pellet diet, Zupreem Natural and Fruit Blend as well as fruits and vegtables, really working on getting him to eat different things. He is very fussy but I just keep trying different things with him, I am very suprised he is eating pretty good now. I've been cooking him alot of things, he got a birdie cone this morning, made with corn muffin mixm flax seed, apple sauce with peas, carrots, corn and mixed beans. What do you soak the raisins in? Just water? Also do you know of anything not to feed him to avoid constipation?

#17511 - 11/29/05 07:34 PM Re: Straining when pooping  
LindaK Offline
Lives Here
LindaK  Offline
Lives Here

Canada
You seem to be on the right track with the food that you are cooking. Just pellets is definitely not the right thing. I would soak the raisins in plain spring water. Also you might want to sprout legumes. I buy this organic mix and sprout for every 48 hours. It is very healthy. Check on line, as I get mine sent from BC in Canada. I am not sure if there are foodstuffs that would constipate. I guess it is trial and error. The potty training is a definite NoNo. That has been proven over the years. All birds are meant to get rid of extra weight as soon as it accumulates. It would hinder them in flight and thus hinder them getting away from predators. That being the reason for their short Intestinal Tract.
I wish you luck and keep us posted please smile
LindaK

#17512 - 11/30/05 03:17 PM Re: Straining when pooping  
Boonie Boy Offline
Boonie Boy  Offline

Pennsylvania
Does anyone know Cricket the Cockatoo? If so I would like to contact the owner. Cricket looks like a cute little fluff ball, he has pulled all his feather out and just had his down coating and was also having the straining and prolapse issue. I would like to see how he is doing.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny