Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CHasner), 11 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#173911 - 08/15/08 09:29 PM Teeth cleaning for cats.  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

So I'm kinda freaked out. My cat is 16 years old and has lost a lot of weight so I took him to the vet (which he goes every year to get all of the blood work etc. done) well his blood work is fine but now they are waiting for some other test to come in to see if he has a thyroid problem.

He was a 15 lb cat for most of his life but has been loosing a lot of wweight over the past few years and now weighs 7.6 lbs. We have had to move him to wet food only cuz he can't and won't eat the dry food any more. Well he has been having trouble eating and throwing up most of his food.

Anyway that is why he went to the vet. The vet tells me he needs a couple of his teeth extracted and the rest cleaned.

Here's the shocker, all of this could cost $ 1000.00 up to $2000.00 THIS IS INSAIN. should the cost be this high.

I don't want my cat to die from starvation and in pain from his teeth but at the same time I thought it was risky to put old cats under.

Plus I'm not convinced that there isn't something else going on with my cat. I know he needs his teethe cleaned but he has lost a lot of weight just within the past month.

I left him with the vet for today so they can get a urine sample from him cuz they said they need that along with the test for the thyroid before we can procede any further.

CHA CHING, CHA CHING...

Where is that money tree at again cuz it looks like I need to plant one smirk

Last edited by rockinseattle; 08/15/08 09:30 PM.
#173917 - 08/15/08 09:43 PM Re: Teeth cleaning for cats. [Re: rockinseattle]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Quote:
I don't want my cat to die from starvation and in pain from his teeth but at the same time I thought it was risky to put old cats under.

What is risky about ending someones pain very quickly??

This is not a cat forum but your situation is the same as one I have had. An unhealthy, unfit cat that is 16 years old is close to the end of it's natural life.

He's not a thing. He is your cat and we know you love dearly and will do what's right for him.

Last edited by TiKa's Dad; 08/15/08 09:47 PM.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#173918 - 08/15/08 09:51 PM Re: Teeth cleaning for cats. [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

I always thought that surgery/anesthesia was risky for older animals. The vet said there is always that risk but that his test look fine.

I'm not sure if this is true or if he just wants money. I have been burned in the past form other vets telling me to do surgery and not having such a good outcome, so I am VERY LEARY when it comes to stuff like this. BUT like I said I want to do what is right for my cat. There lies the confusion.

I know this is not a cat forum but I know there are others on here with other animals other then birds.

#173924 - 08/15/08 10:07 PM Re: Teeth cleaning for cats. [Re: rockinseattle]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
You could always get a second opinion. The cost does seem to be a bit steep to say the least.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#173926 - 08/15/08 10:11 PM Re: Teeth cleaning for cats. [Re: BE2Cassie]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Thanks, that is exactly what I'm going to do. smile

#173946 - 08/16/08 01:01 AM Re: Teeth cleaning for cats. [Re: rockinseattle]  
Stormy Offline
Stormy  Offline

PA
I was in your situation Rockinseattle but it was with my dog a few years ago. He had a chronic ear condition which the vet<not the one I go to now> said was from an infection from his bad teeth and needed to have them cleaned and some extracted. Well to make a long story short and my pocket empty of almost a thousand dollars, he had teeth removed, rest cleaned and guess what, still an ear infection. They tried different antibotics on him, nothing was working. 4 months down the road, money after money going into the vets pocket, he still had his ear infections and now they wanted to do surgery to remove his ear canals to clear up the infection, one little problem though. He would be deaf!! That was it, took him to my vet that I have now and after 2 rounds of different antibotics, the ear infection cleared up and thank goodness I said no to the surgery or he would be deaf. My only advice would be to get a second opinion before you decide what to do. I hope your kitty will feel better soon.

Owned by birds and loving it!!
Terri
#173949 - 08/16/08 01:19 AM Re: Teeth cleaning for cats. [Re: Stormy]  
April Offline
April  Offline

Palmer, Alaska
I had a cat that was 21 years old. She had lost all her teeth except the molars. She got to a point that she wasn't eating and her breath smelled horrible she losted a lot of weight. She had pretty much stopped using the litter box. I had two vets tell me that she needed the rest of her teeth taken out and the only way to do it was to put her under anethesia and surgically take them out. I had to sit down and ask my self did I want to put my cat under this stress and then she just die a few weeks later. She had no quality of life and in the end the bottom jaw had a hole rotting through it. Even then the vet said that everything would get better if we just had the teeth taken out. I looked at my cat and I told her that it was ok she wasn't going to hurt anymore. I took her in and had her put to sleep. It was the most peaceful thing and I know that it was the best.

Oh and the cost it was between 1 and 2k. Money wasn't an issue for us my cat wasn't happy and she would walk around crying and I mean really crying. I had never heard a cat make that noise. I'm sorry I have to stop now.

Last edited by April; 08/16/08 01:23 AM.

April
Stay at home mom of 4 birds and 2 kids.
#173956 - 08/16/08 02:22 AM Re: Teeth cleaning for cats. [Re: April]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Quote:
I had to sit down and ask my self did I want to put my cat under this stress and then she just die a few weeks later. She had no quality of life and in the end the bottom jaw had a hole rotting through it. Even then the vet said that everything would get better if we just had the teeth taken out. I looked at my cat and I told her that it was ok she wasn't going to hurt anymore. I took her in and had her put to sleep. It was the most peaceful thing and I know that it was the best.

You said exactly what I wanted to say. You said it much better. That is what we did with our cat.

Last edited by TiKa's Dad; 08/16/08 02:30 AM.

John
#174107 - 08/17/08 06:57 AM Re: Teeth cleaning for cats. [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

I called around but everyone gave us the run around so we chose to just stick it out with our current vet.

The blood work came back but we are waiting on the urin test.

Ziggy has hypertension and hyperthyroidism. We will be starting him on medication Mon. but for now he is getting some pain meds.

The vet said once we get the thyroid under control then we can will be able to see if his kidneys are good. Cuz thyroidism apparently can mask kidney disease or something like that. After we get his thyroid under control then we can discuss teeth cleaning/extraction.

If we can't get all of this under control and he is in pain and we can't fix it, then it will be time to put him to sleep.

I don't want to cause him pain just so I can keep him here on earth but at the same time I don't want to end his life early.

I hate spending the ridiculous amounts of money on vet bills but I will do it as long as it is the right choice and not some money making skeem.

None of this is easy when dealing with medical desicions for animals or humans.

I am very leary of Doctors/vets and insurance companies cuz these days not all of them have have our best interest in mind. only $$$$$. Which is such a shame.

Thank you for all of the responses I appreciate it. smile

#174132 - 08/17/08 03:37 PM Re: Teeth cleaning for cats. [Re: rockinseattle]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Quote:
None of this is easy when dealing with medical desicions for animals or humans.

It's heart wrenching. I wish you a lot of luck. We are behind you.

John

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny