Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 78 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#17228 - 11/26/05 07:08 PM Re: "Screamer"  
Chuckledoo Offline
Chuckledoo  Offline

south carolina
As I said before,wait until your macaw starts screaming like your cockatoo!!!Wakka has started screaming in short loud bursts like Chuckles,and she is ten times louder than him!!!

#17229 - 11/27/05 06:05 AM Re: "Screamer"  
Jerri in WV Offline
Jerri in WV  Offline

West Virginia
Too cute chloe,
I read about the contact calls after joining this site and they have worked great for me. Max would yell his head off anytime I leave his sight. This was a problem late at night, I stay up late while hubby and daughter are in bed by 11. Just for me to run to the other room for 60 seconds, he can be dead asleep, but he knows the instant I'm gone and starts hollering, waking everyone up. Thankfully they didn't give me much grief over it (daughter suggested putting mini fridge in family room and for me to wear a diaper LOL). Now as soon as I hear him stir, I whistle to him and he responds in same manner. Has worked WONDERS!!! Family is eternally grateful laugh
As for his screaming he has his times, as I put in another post tonight
Quote:
Max's "times" are when he's happy, hungry, lonely, bored, 8am, 10pm, when he's playing, any time someone knocks on the door, when I'm in the shower, when his dad comes home, when my daughter comes home, when the dogs are playing - just any time he feels his 2 cents are needed. At least I will never have to worry about sneaky intruders.

#17230 - 11/28/05 06:49 PM Re: "Screamer"  
Magenta Offline
Magenta  Offline

Jacksonville, Florida
Quote:
I can honestly say that I believe they are definitely a behavior problem.
NO it is not a "behavior problem", the point of the original post was for people who are new to owning a Too to understand that this is normal behavior. You have only had your Too 1 year. What I will say is you can spoil a Too, which is what you may have done and yes, she may not like the idea of you putting her back in the cage. BUT, it is natural for a too to scream, such as it is natural for a baby to cry.

#17231 - 11/30/05 07:17 PM Re: "Screamer"  
flowerchild Offline
Lives Here
flowerchild  Offline
Lives Here

New England
magenta, babies cry and toos scream. absolutely, it's normal natural behavior. but there are certainly "screamers" who have been taught to scream by being rewarded every time they do. it can be a behavioral issue. i taught my amazon to scream for attention, treats, etc. by giving her anything she wanted to stop the screaming. and then i took a long hard look at my own behavior, and retrained her- ignoring her screams and only rewarding cessation of screaming or talking. so while noise is part of life with these birds- there are birds that will scream for hours on end out of boredom, for attention, etc. and the "behavior problem" is usually the person's, by not providing enough stimulation and attention, or more often than not, by inadvertently rewarding the screaming with food, attention, etc. the retraining is long and nervewracking. so for all you beginners out there- take notes. it's alot easier to prevent the problem than it is to cure. it does work, pedro is a joy now, she still screams- but not constantly, and she talks so sweetly when she wants attention that you just can't resist giving her some loving. and i just have to laugh if my daughter walks by with food and pedro screams, she'll turn to the bird and say
" you know i'm not giving you any until you stop that." and pedro will usually say hello, or i love you, and then she'll get whatever the snack may be.

#17232 - 12/02/05 06:25 PM Re: "Screamer"  
ToocuteChloe Offline
ToocuteChloe  Offline

I understand that it is natural for a bird to make noise. Chloe has always yelled (as I call it) first thing in the morning and at night. Pretty much around the same time everyday. What she is doing is screaming, and by no means is she spoiled. Before I brought her home, I interacted with her on a daily basis,from the time she was 2 wks old, until she was able to come home with me. I also spoke with the breeder (whom is a bird lover herself, and has 6 birds that are her pets) regarding the do's and do not's with her.
I am working with her now with calling back to her. Which most of you suggested. It is working. She just wants to know where I am at.

Thanks all for the wonderful advice.

(P.s. I have had the opportunity to read through the site, and have the understanding of the purpose of it. I do agree that it is a horrible market, and it takes a special person to take care of them out of their natural environment. Although Chloe was purchased for me as a Christmas gift, I feel that in a way I did rescue her, as she would of ended up in a pet shop for sale, and then if not purchased who knows where. Although, through ignorance of the abandoned bird situation, by me purchasing her I added to the problem, and on the other hand she is in a good home, with someone who loves and respects her for who she is. Since finding this site, like most, after the bird, I find it heart breaking that alot of these beautiful creatures aren't as lucky as my Chloe.

#17233 - 12/02/05 10:52 PM Re: "Screamer"  
stumpkiller Offline
stumpkiller  Offline

Springfield, OR
screamer's are just looking for there flock, as the resue group tell me that are in the group that I have growen to apperate. until 3 years ago I had no birds. Know i have taken on there problem bitter's & have one that was saposed to be a screamer. All she wanted was to say good morning and to be able to see what was happening around her. When she calls out i wisle back should have seen her when i won the noise contest. Any way she is not nerly the screamer that she was made out to be.

#17234 - 12/18/05 03:38 PM Re: "Screamer"  
My Baby Billy the Kid Offline
My Baby Billy the Kid  Offline

smile I think as l have posted with topic being screeching, it is differant when they do there play thing hanging up side sown having a little screech/scream to when they are doing it to get your attention and there own way!!, or due to there owner spoiling them like l have :rolleyes:

Billy & Kym laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny