Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 51 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17208 - 10/28/05 01:29 PM "Screamer"  
Magenta Offline
Magenta  Offline

Jacksonville, Florida
I just thought perhaps we should clarify something. I am seen this behavior term used like it was something your Too should not be doing, along with plucking and whatnot.

Actually, to quote exactly, Morgan+me said:
Quote:
I am fortunae that Morgan is not a screemer.
Let's clarify that "screaming" (or barking as I call it because this is what Rascal sounds like LOL) is a natural behavior for a Too. This is their call and if they weren't doing this, I would have to wonder if that bird might have come from a place where it did not get much attention and just doesn't see the need to call.

I compare it to an infant who cries. When an infant doesn't cry (meaning like they don't cry for anything at all) usually it is because it has learned that crying will get them no where, usually from neglectful parents. A Too's scream is sort of the same thing. Sometimes they do it out of anger or because they are distressed, but it is something natural that they do.

Morgan+me, don't take this as I am saying there is something wrong with Morgan. I am sure he does "scream" sometimes. Some birds are more quiet than others, though, and it doesn't mean what I stated above. I just wanted to make sure you and anyone else that is new to Toos understands that this is something natural and there is nothing wrong behavior wise with your Too is they scream a lot.

If I am wrong about anything I stated here, or missing something, please feel free to reply. I don't stamp myself an expert in any field relating to Toos. laugh

#17209 - 10/28/05 05:41 PM Re: "Screamer"  
Gene Offline
Gene  Offline

Omaha, Nebraska
If you are around a too when they 'scream' you will know what that means. They can be very loud and that is the cause of many people giving up their bird, they just did not know how loud a too can be. The scream is a normal thing for a too unless it goes on for extended periods of time, then it can indicate other problems.

#17210 - 10/28/05 06:34 PM Re: "Screamer"  
Tuffysmom Offline
Tuffysmom  Offline

chalk river ont
If you live with a screamer you will no the difference of a cockatoo doing his normal screaming, i have two rocky and lucky who both are screamers.Rockys who's screaming is like music to my ears after what we went threw usually around 5 maybe at the lastest 6 in the moring he will start to scream at the top of his voice which gets Lucky joining this will last until i get up if i am lucky i get to block out the noice i have a pair of ear plugs and pillow i put over my head and sleep until 8 i work 4 to 11 every night oh yah i forgot to mention when i get home at night of course it does not matter how quite i am i wake him up he goes to bed buy 9.30 at night he will scream and wake ever one up for about a hour or until he no's i am in bed. Screamers have behaviour problems there is no two ways about it i don't care Rocky can scream his head off at least i no he is happy and heathy it takes a special person to not care about the noise maybe a little crazy like me lol, because a normal person would go crazy after one day.

#17211 - 10/28/05 06:39 PM Re: "Screamer"  
leighvaani Offline
leighvaani  Offline

Iowa
I have to wonder if maybe Morgan means that hers in not a constant screamer? I can't even picture a too that doesn't scream! lol!

I think part might be that some of us aren't as affected by these screams as others as well. I know that Bosco is typically pretty quiet all day then he gets wild and crazy at night. (He's such a goof.) I wouldn't consider him a "screamer" but he does of course do his share of what we like to call "singing" lol!

The thing is that for us it's kind of normal we are noisey people and have noisey pets. Our dog's a barker, our cats are even constant talkers, we have a few birds and I think my blue crown probably creates more noise in a day than Bosco. BUT when most people come to visit they don't stay long because the birds get going and they can't stand the noise.

I think a lot of the different noise levels reported could possibly just be a matter of interpritation.... or maybe I'm way off. Just a thought.

#17212 - 10/28/05 07:36 PM Re: "Screamer"  
mom2paulie Offline
Lives Here
mom2paulie  Offline
Lives Here

New York
It probably varies just like anything else. Some people speak loudly, while others speak softly. Some toos are probably more vocal than others. Paulie is only 2 and a half, but in my house he's the quiet one so far. My conure and my caique scream all the time. He just looks at them like, "What's your problem?"

#17213 - 10/28/05 07:46 PM Re: "Screamer"  
Magenta Offline
Magenta  Offline

Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah, I am sure that Morgan meant that her Too doesn't scream a lot like some might.

I just wanted to make this post incase anyone got the wrong idea and thought it would be good to clarify that a screaming too doesn't mean they have a problem.

#17214 - 10/29/05 05:07 PM Re: "Screamer"  
Morgan&Me Offline
Morgan&Me  Offline

Houston Texas
My precious Morgan can make the most brain rattling of screams. And I like it when he does. I like it because I am fortunate that when I shut off the lights and leave on his night light, He goes to sleep. He is quite until I wake up. My computer and drafting table and kitchen and tv are all viewable from his perching area and cage. (i don't allow him to run around when the stove is hot) So no matter what, he can see me unless i'm showering (when he screams) doing laundry (he screams) or anytime all the lights are on and i'm not around. But I meant i am very fortunate that I can shut off his voice with a light. Although i never leave him in the dark unless its bedtime.

#17215 - 10/29/05 05:09 PM Re: "Screamer"  
Morgan&Me Offline
Morgan&Me  Offline

Houston Texas
Oh and for some reason when i walk out the front door (he can see that too) he knows i'm going away and there is no reason to scream, I'll be back. When i first got him, he screamed when I left. I guess now he knows i'll be back. I used to have a roommate that said Morgan slept most the day but a hour before I got off work he'd get really excited and start running around his cage. He knows my schedual. hehee

#17216 - 10/29/05 05:28 PM Re: "Screamer"  
Linus&Nancy Offline
Linus&Nancy  Offline

Asheville, NC
lol Morgan & me...if he "screams" when he can't see you..that is just his way of saying.."hey i cant see you, come here, where are you".
My Linus is not a constant screamer. When i am out of his sight.. he plays with his toys quite contently until i come back. However..i have noticed that even though he doesnt scream constantly..he does the usual 2 times a day just because he is a too. Its a most exciting time..i enjoy it. He enjoys it. But i am also learning that he has many different vocalizations, that mean different things. In the mornings when he wakes up and no one else is awake..he will ring this cow bell...that is on the end of one of his toys. Of course it wakes us all up and we start moving around. If His Majesty is up..you know we ALL are up. Also..i have 4 dogs.. so when they start barking at something of course Mr. Man has learned to make a "bark" too..he actually blends in quite well. When he gets excited..he has this baby garbled kind of thing going on lol it is quite funny to watch.

#17217 - 10/29/05 05:31 PM Re: "Screamer"  
rooster76 Offline
rooster76  Offline

Hamilton, ON
Oh Nancy, that is too funny. I wish I could be at your house to see this!

Choo Choo is fairly quiet. He did go through a couple of 'noisy' days until I figured out that he was missing his sunflower seeds and letting me know it. smile

#17218 - 10/29/05 06:21 PM Re: "Screamer"  
Linus&Nancy Offline
Linus&Nancy  Offline

Asheville, NC
Rooster..i tell you..it is never dull around here! quite at this second because it's nap time at the farm...ahhhhhhh the silence laugh

#17219 - 10/30/05 08:02 AM Re: "Screamer"  
robbieh Offline
robbieh  Offline

Nap time! I love nap time. It's a great 30 minutes just to sit down and do nothing.

I know exactly what you're talking about when Linus does the baby garble. Salvador does the exact same thing. He loves to do it into his big metal bowls on his play stand. He sticks his whole head in and makes sounds. Cracks me up.

I'm glad he's a normal screamer as well. I also enjoy the screaming twice a day.

#17220 - 10/30/05 07:36 PM Re: "Screamer"  
Morgan&Me Offline
Morgan&Me  Offline

Houston Texas
The baby garble... hahahaha.

Yes Morgan has done that too. When I first got him, he did it alot more then he does now. I'm not sure why Morgan isn't happy lately. But he used to get really excited, and put on a show, and do the garble thing, and whip his head around. My friends thought he was possessed like the lady in the movie Exorcist. hahahaha. The vet thinks he has axiety and that he is just getting used to my house and its not new anymore. Thats what he said when I asked him why he put him on the haldol. He said when birds get used to things they start to destroy the feathers and then carry on to bad behavior and .. blah blah blah... you all know a bird out of control. Anyway, he said i don't have to restart it if i don't want to, but he thinks morgan will stop other things that he pointed out to me... like he bites his nails, and grinds his beak.. even in his sleep he grinds his beak. We are moving to texas, maybe he'll feel rejuvinated. Maybe he will do the exorcist move again. hehe it really is funny.

#17221 - 10/30/05 07:45 PM Re: "Screamer"  
Mia & Kiwi Offline
Lives Here
Mia & Kiwi  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Morgan and Me, are you able to get a second opinion from another vet? Maybe there is something else that you can do to help Morgan.
The beak grinding is normal. Toos do it when they are relaxing and also while they are falling asleep/sleeping.

#17222 - 10/30/05 07:46 PM Re: "Screamer"  
cujos_mom Offline
cujos_mom  Offline

North of Toronto, Ontario, Can...
a bird will grind their beak when they are content and or sleepy. I don't think it's too unusual for them to sometimes bite at their toenails either.

Quote:
He said when birds get used to things they start to destroy the feathers and then carry on to bad behavior
that's a pretty open ended, generalized statement. The honeymoon might be over and Morgan might be getting used to things but that doesn't automatically predict the above behaviour. Cujo's been with us 12 years, he's never plucked a feather. Is this an avian vet you're dealing with?

#17223 - 10/31/05 03:32 AM Re: "Screamer"  
Linus&Nancy Offline
Linus&Nancy  Offline

Asheville, NC
morgan &me.. the beak grinding is normal. Actually the research i have done says..that when the bird is content..before/during sleep they will do this. It also "prepares the beak for the next days meals".. strange..but thats what it said. Anyway..when Linus makes the grinding thing..i know he's a happy lil camper.
I dont understand about the vet saying that..when the bird gets used to your house and its not new anymore.. that that causes bad behaviour. That seems just strange to me.I mean..i am no expert..but our Too's like routine and structure, do they not? at least that is what i have been reading. I think i would get a 2nd opinion.

#17224 - 10/31/05 06:34 AM Re: "Screamer"  
robbieh Offline
robbieh  Offline

By "Get used to things" could the vet possibly mean boredom? I know you're not causing a bored bird--no one here is. If anything we're all over stimulating them with all the toys and attention.

I'd ask the vet to clarify what he/she means.

The beak grinding is fun. When Salvador takes a power nap I sometimes let him do it on my shoulder. I grind my teeth and he snuggles up close to grind along. When my cockatiels were with me it was quite a grinding chorus. Loved it.

Robbbie

#17225 - 10/31/05 07:15 PM Re: "Screamer"  
Magenta Offline
Magenta  Offline

Jacksonville, Florida
Good to see that this thread is getting some good use! smile Morgan and me: I hope you don't think I was picking on you, just wanted to make sure for anyone else in the future that might be new to this board or owning a Too, understood that this behavior is typically normal.

#17226 - 11/26/05 01:44 AM Re: "Screamer"  
ToocuteChloe Offline
ToocuteChloe  Offline

Hello all! I have been reading everyones replies regarding the screaming issue. I don't have an issue with Chloe, I have a subscription. I have had her for a year, and just recently she started these screaming episodes. I can honestly say that I believe they are definitely a behavior problem. The reason I believe such, is that she never wants to be caged. She thinks she should have full roam of the house just as I do. I haven't changed anything, I keep her pretty routined. I rotate times to take her out, she gets plenty of attention, all the great things birds like her need. When I take her out we have a blast together, she is right by my side. When I put her in either of her cages, she screams like crazy, non-stop for long periods of time. At first, I thought something was wrong with her, she would start screaming, I would come running, as soon as I would get to the cage, she would quit. I have tried ignoring her when she screams thinking maybe she would realize it isn't getting her anywhere (especially out of her cage)and reinforcing good behavior, like when she is talking. I will take her out of her cage then. Should I keep doing this, or is there something else I should be trying. She will be two in April, maybe it is the terrible two's?

#17227 - 11/26/05 12:20 PM Re: "Screamer"  
alaska_toos Offline
Moderator Emeritus
alaska_toos  Offline
Moderator Emeritus
Lives Here

Alaska
ToocuteChloe,

I would like to suggest that you start trying contact calls with your bird. When you leave the room you may want to start using a whistle to let Chloe know where you are, you can keep it as simple as just saying Im in here. Birds are flock animals and you are their flock. They keep in constant contact with each other even when they are not in sight by using calls.

When your bird is screaming I would continue to ignore the bird, but listen very carefully, as soon as the bird is quiet, even for a second you should call to the bird letting them know where you are. Once this behavior has been established (contact calls) the bird should be quieter as it is listening for your calls and it cannot hear them if it is screaming.

It is very important that your bird learns that it is alright to entertain themselfs by playing with toys and such. I give my birds their own personal time, but they are also able to entertain themselfs when I am not there. They also know that if Im not in the room and they call out their names I will call back to them letting them know where I am.

My birds have their rather noisy times during the day (this is at sunrise and sunset, unless something excites them) and I have accepted this for they are birds. When my house is completely quiet is when I really start getting worried, my birds like to talk to each other and such.

Good luck

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny