Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 52 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#170893 - 07/24/08 01:21 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: ChickenBaby]  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

well it isnt going to change weather or not i buy a cockatoo or not. my dad is just as crazy for animals as i am and he supports me wanting a Cockatoo and he wants it too. i think i have the capability of taking care of this bird.

#170895 - 07/24/08 01:25 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Why not ask your father to join the board too?

Last edited by EchosMom; 07/24/08 01:26 AM.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#170896 - 07/24/08 01:28 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: EchosMom]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
Misfit - I am 22 and it is extremely difficult for me to take care of my bird. I am VERY social and have many friends and always want to be out. I'm in college, I want to go to parties. When friends come over, he is SCREAMING because he wants out, ok, I take him out, he attacks people because he doesn't know them, he chews up all my stuff, my $2500 computer, my phones, my ipods, remotes, EVERYTHING. Being an animal lover - you should know you shouldn't bring in a pet that you cannot handle right NOW. Maybe later in life, DEFINITELY!! You got rid of a family member already, your horse.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#170898 - 07/24/08 01:31 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: sandiego]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
Also - if you have an emergency, how will you be able to drive to the vet??

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#170899 - 07/24/08 01:31 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: EchosMom]  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

Originally Posted By: EchosMom
Why not ask your father to join the board too?

hes not guna join the site, he has other things to do.

Originally Posted By: sandiego
Misfit - I am 22 and it is extremely difficult for me to take care of my bird. I am VERY social and have many friends and always want to be out. I'm in college, I want to go to parties. When friends come over, he is SCREAMING because he wants out, ok, I take him out, he attacks people because he doesn't know them, he chews up all my stuff, my $2500 computer, my phones, my ipods, remotes, EVERYTHING. Being an animal lover - you should know you shouldn't bring in a pet that you cannot handle right NOW. Maybe later in life, DEFINITELY!! You got rid of a family member already, your horse.

i didnt have a choice to get rid of my horse. if i did i would have never of givin her up.

#170901 - 07/24/08 01:33 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
So if your dad doesn't like the screaming (which he won't) will it be HIS choice to get rid of the cockatoo also?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JRnLPDcLGHs Watch that video - that is all cockatoos do. ALL DAY EVERYDAY!!!!!! LOUD LOUD LOUD.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#170902 - 07/24/08 01:36 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: ChickenBaby]  
nanuk Offline
nanuk  Offline

Pueblo,CO U.S.A.
I think that u r old enough to think u know what u want but reality is totally different!!!! My 17 yr. old daughter came to me one day and said she was old enough to have a baby and would not listen to anybody else, she now has a 12 month daughter that I am raising because reality set in and she wasn't ready for the lack of sleep and not being with friends. In case u later decide that u need a social life r your parents willing to clean every day, make safe toys, sacrifice their lives to take care of a 2. If not then who will???????? Since we never know how long we will be on this earth, make plans for someone else to take care of a 2 yr. old with ADHD,RAD AND A CAN OPENER, WOOD CHIPPER on their face. PLEASE TAKE TIME TO FIND A RESCUE IN YOUR AREA AND ADOPT, BUT DON'T BUY FROM A PET STORE OR BREEDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry
#170909 - 07/24/08 01:51 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: nanuk]  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

i dont know what to tell you guys. all im saying is i might be getting him i might not. i dont know as of yet.

#170917 - 07/24/08 02:08 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
I was trying to be polite, and use logic to open your mind...but you do not seem willing to listen to what those of us who have experience are trying to say.

Your father won't join the board because he has better things to do? If he won't even take a step to educate himself about the care of these birds, how can you expect him to make a committment to caring for it correctly? You didn't have a choice to get rid of your horse? Well, what say are you going to have if your family isn't willing to deal with the expense, noise and trauma of cockatoo. Do you realize how damaging it is to a bird to be rehomed? In a bird's eyes, even a bad owner is it's flock, and when it is given away, it grieves for it's family.

And here I'm going to be brutally honest. Actually a little bit of a witch and said what I really thought when I read your post about the conure.....You've had the bird a scant few days and are ready to hand it off to your brother so that you can get a more exotic bird? Birds are not impulse buys...they are people with feathers. You wouldn't adopt a brown haired baby and then hand it over to someone else to raise so you could get a blond one. It is exactly the same thing.

#170919 - 07/24/08 02:13 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Your arrogant outlook on life is going to get you into trouble. You don't have much compassion. Makes me sad. Please consider all the advise that was given to you. Some members have had Cockatoos for decades and have experienced every situation there is. The only thing you were told was the truth. From experience. You have no experience.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#170929 - 07/24/08 02:38 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Quote:
MISFIT_BIRD WROTE: i know how much of a responsibility it is to care for a bird and im ready for it.

IF ANY OF US KNEW what living with a cockatoo was like BEFORE we got one then A LOT OF US would have CHOSEN NOT TO.

Reading about them and living with them are TOTALLY different, more then you can imagine.

Last edited by rockinseattle; 07/24/08 02:39 AM.
#170931 - 07/24/08 02:40 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: rockinseattle]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
Oh, well said. Amen to that!

#170932 - 07/24/08 02:46 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Jacque]  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

i still really want one despite what you all say. i believe everyone and i know its going to be a pain in the butt but i still would really like to have one.

#170934 - 07/24/08 02:50 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
I would love to have a lot of things, but can't until I am ready. And someday I will be. Why do you want one? Why?

Plus you seem to know everything and said you have read everything, so why even come here?

Stay here and post and talk with members, ACTUALLY READ the material here, and maybe you will find you are ready once you are KNOWLEDGEABLE on the subject, or maybe (and 99% of a chance) you will find you are not ready. Just give it some more time, Misfit.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#170935 - 07/24/08 02:50 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Wait a while. Learn by practising and getting some experience with the bird you just got. That bird needs your love and attention right now very much. Your brother IS too young.

Like I said before. What's the rush.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#170937 - 07/24/08 02:54 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
Ok...I give up. One last thing. Not one of my pets was purchased. I went looking for none of them. They appeared in my life when I had the time, money and committment to care for them. I believe that when you are ready, the right animal will find you. Please committ to not purchasing a bird. You will perpetuate the bird trade, and these animals were not meant to be pets. If you are destined to be owned by a cockatoo, one will come into your life. In the meantime, show the same level of interest in the bird who is already in your life. Become the best possible bird parent. Educate yourself about diet, enviroment, behavior and enrichment. Make it a committment to make that little birds' life as close to perfect as possible. Then, and only then, will you actually be ready when the bird you are meant to have finds you. And believe me, if it is meant to be,he will.

#170938 - 07/24/08 03:01 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Jacque]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
OK sorry I'll put it back laugh

Misfit, every morning when you wake up, play that video I showed you. Also play it like 50 more times throughout the day. Take an hour from your day to chop up vegetables, freeze them, took rice and beans, make fruit kebabs. Now throw them at the wall AND clean it up. Also take an afternoon each week to make toys, don't forget buying a lot of toys. Now take said toys and saw them up, cut them in half, burn them, dismantle them right away. All your money is shot now. Also clean your bathroom daily, sometimes twice, even if there is only a kleenex on the floor. Re clean the whole bathroom. (aka cage)

Now throw your computer down the stairs because it will be eaten anyways. Also use a knife and cut out the buttons in everything electronic. Go give your family doctor $300 right now. Oh if you ever get into any minor accident, go give him $500. (aka vet)

If you can do all that, then you have my blessing to get a cockatoo.

Last edited by sandiego; 07/24/08 03:11 AM. Reason: edit edit editing

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#170940 - 07/24/08 03:06 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

You seem like a very determined person SO I have a suggestion that is a WIN WIN for all.

VOLUNTEER at a RESCUE so you can get an idea of what the personalities are like for a variety of birds PLUS the rescue people can SHOW you things like how to handle the birds, ie. perching them, nail and wing maintenance, toweling a bird ETC. ETC..

It could be a valuable experience for you.

ALSO get your family involved suggest to them to volunteer at a rescue.

Who knows you guys might like it so much that you help a rescue out permanently in your spare time OR you might find out that these guys are really hard to take care of and move on to something else.

Just remember it's not just about you or your brother it's about the best life for a bird also. wink

#170941 - 07/24/08 03:07 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: sandiego]  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

i have a question about Green Cheek Conures. can they learn a wide range of vocabulary? and will they let you pick them up and sit on your shoulder?

#170942 - 07/24/08 03:07 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: sandiego]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
OMG Samantha...I just spit water all over my computer monitor. That is absolutely hilarious and 100% right on! Where were you before I got Topy? Not that I would ever want to live my life without him now that I found him. But did I know what I was in for? Oh, heck no! Would I have volunteered if I had known? Well probably, I'm a sucker for a challenge. I just didn't know the challenge would take up more of my time than my JOB!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny