Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 48 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#170851 - 07/23/08 11:25 PM info on Cockatoos?  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

id like all the info on Cockatoos that i can get. i might be buying one.

Last edited by Misfit_Bird; 07/23/08 11:36 PM.
#170856 - 07/24/08 12:05 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
In your post that got deleted, you said that you had a Conure, but that you are new to birds. How long have you had him? The reason I ask, is that it takes at least a year for a bird to settle into a home and be totally comfortable and trusting. Bringing a new bird of any type, let alone one as demanding as a cockatoo, could be incredible destructive to your relationship with Kiwi.

I am the last person in the world to tell someone they are not ready for a cockatoo. I went to the rescue looking for a small, quiet bird. I was seriously looking for a Pionus, as my daughter had one, and I had fallen in love with him. So quiet,so sweet, so docile (everything a cockatoo is NOT)

Topy, My G2, had been at the rescue for a couple of years. He hated everyone and took great delight in making people scream and run away. Everyone approached him with extreme caution, which he found vastly entertaining. However, someone forgot to tell me that he was dangerous. And when he got off the tree and came over to snuggle with me, I lost my heart and gained a bird.

It took me 6 months of daily visits before the rescue (or I) thought I was ready to try things at home. I am so thankful I took the time to do this. It made topy's transition to my home so much smoother. We were already a flock. Is there a possiblity that you could volunteer at a rescue and get to know the right bird? I am a firm believer in "thunderbolt" bonding. Topy and I knew we belonged together. How tragic it would be to bring a bird into your home that wouldn't bond with you. And that can seriously happen. My husband has a rescued Congo African Grey that thinks I am out to murder him. Even though I am the giver of all good foods....he thinks I am evil. Over time this may change, but in the meantime,it can be very frustrating.

Please, please take the time to read over the archives of this site. People here have a wealth of information. They take their stewardship of these magnificent birds very, very seriously. No one pulls any punches. You will find information on the good, the bad, and the tragic.

Good luck, and keep coming back.

#170859 - 07/24/08 12:15 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Jacque]  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

i got Kiwi 3 days ago but if i get another bird he will be my brothers bird. he would be going into my brothers room and the new Cockatoo would be moved into my room. there aren't any shelters i know with birds around here.

#170860 - 07/24/08 12:22 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
PLEASE take time to read our agenda. We do NOT support the buying and selling of cockatoos under ANY circumstances.

Cockatoos are EXTREMELY LOUD. Their vet visits cost $100+ at LEAST, they live for 50+ years, they will destroy everything you have. They will probably hate most people you bring over. They are like 2 year olds FOREVER. I'm 22 and it's like having a baby. I plan around Kahlua, everything is about HIM. I can't go out with friends unless I make sure someone puts Kahlua to bed or he's already in bed. I can't spend the night anywhere unelss I am home in the morning by 7am. Toys, cages, and vet care are a TON of money!

Check out a rescue though. Someone will post the website! There are a lot of birds in needs of a home!!

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#170864 - 07/24/08 12:31 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: sandiego]  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

sandiego-"PLEASE take time to read our agenda. We do NOT support the buying and selling of cockatoos under ANY circumstances."

i dont get what you mean when you said this? im just asking for info on a Cockatoo because i might be getting one.

#170866 - 07/24/08 12:33 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
Yes, I read your post. Read our agenda on buying and selling cockatoos. We are an anti-breeding, buying, and selling forum.

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=126292#Post126292

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#170868 - 07/24/08 12:36 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: sandiego]  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

ok.

#170871 - 07/24/08 12:39 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
I'm not sure even how to respond to you. There is an incredible amount of difference between a conure and a cockatoo. I would really suggest that you wait and build a relationship with the bird you have before you graduate to what can be a very dangerous animal.

All birds bite. But the severity of a cockatoo bite is disasterous. Other than a macaw, I don't think any bird in the world has the more potential to serious wound you. I would suggest you look at some of Tiki's Dad's posts. He has pictures of a bite that his bird gave him. And he is one of the most experienced and committed owners on this site. He knows his birds and he knows their body language, and he still got a bite above his eyes that could have been disfiguring.

I have been around birds for years. I work at a Vet who does Raptor Rehabilitation. That means that I spend a lot of time handling sick and injured eagles, hawks and owls. I treat them with a great deal of respect, because they are dangerous birds. But they are no where near as dangerous as a hormonal cockatoo in a snit.

How would you feel if all of a sudden your bird started pulling out his feathers? All his feathers? Because with a cockatoo, feathers are often optional. This site will even tell you that it's not IF your bird will pluck, but WHEN. My own little Topy who has a palace of a cage, an exellent diet (I cook more for him than my husband) and all the attention in the world, pulls out his feathers when he's stressed. In fact, the day after tomorrow I am driving 200 miles to take him to an avian vet, to make sure, once again, that there is nothing medical behind his condition. A good avian vet is expensive. I work for a wonderful vet, but Topy's vet is in the nearest large city. It is crucial that you have a vet who specializes in birds, and that costs a lot of money.

That is another thing. Cost and time. A cockatoo NEEDS one on one contact. They are not a good choice of bird for someone who is gone all day. It is very difficult to have a social life when you have a too. If you work or go to school during the day, you better plan on spending the afternoon and evening with your bird. Every day. They are creatures of habit and want things to be done at the same time, in the same way, every day.

And finally, the cost of toys and food. Cockatoos need fresh food. That means constantly cooking, chopping and purchasing expensive vegetables every day. And they have to have toys. Expensive toys. A constant, never-ending supply of toys that are switched out frequently. Unless you are very creative, toys will easily run you $60+ a month. I made the mistake of figuring out what my little bundle costs me a month....and it runs about $120, easily.

I am not trying to discourage you, but I want you to go into this with your eyes open. Cockatoos are wild animals. No matter how loving they can be, they can turn and bite in an instant. They can destroy your home. They are escape artists who will actually dismantle a cage in order to get out and eat your house. There are pictures on this site of a too who got out and actually ate the walls of his room. And they are incredibly needy animals. In the wild, they are a flock bird. They are never alone. And they don't want to be alone in your home either.

Stick around, read as much as you can, and pay attention to what others say. We are not lying or exaggerating. I wish we were. I personally would do anything I could to stop the breeding of these guys. It is a crime against nature to breed them as pets.

#170874 - 07/24/08 12:43 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Jacque]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
Great post Jacque smile

Misfit, we want you to stay and read up as much as you can before deciding instead of doing an impulse buy because you saw a "good deal". These are animals, not toys. They don't have a price tag! We've had a lot of members JUST like you, some decided a cockatoo is DEFINITELY not for them after reading up, and some decided to go to a rescue and look around and now have a wonderful family member. This is the place to be, though, for cockatoos!!

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#170875 - 07/24/08 12:47 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Jacque]  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jacque
I'm not sure even how to respond to you. There is an incredible amount of difference between a conure and a cockatoo. I would really suggest that you wait and build a relationship with the bird you have before you graduate to what can be a very dangerous animal.

All birds bite. But the severity of a cockatoo bite is disasterous. Other than a macaw, I don't think any bird in the world has the more potential to serious wound you. I would suggest you look at some of Tiki's Dad's posts. He has pictures of a bite that his bird gave him. And he is one of the most experienced and committed owners on this site. He knows his birds and he knows their body language, and he still got a bite above his eyes that could have been disfiguring.

I have been around birds for years. I work at a Vet who does Raptor Rehabilitation. That means that I spend a lot of time handling sick and injured eagles, hawks and owls. I treat them with a great deal of respect, because they are dangerous birds. But they are no where near as dangerous as a hormonal cockatoo in a snit.

How would you feel if all of a sudden your bird started pulling out his feathers? All his feathers? Because with a cockatoo, feathers are often optional. This site will even tell you that it's not IF your bird will pluck, but WHEN. My own little Topy who has a palace of a cage, an exellent diet (I cook more for him than my husband) and all the attention in the world, pulls out his feathers when he's stressed. In fact, the day after tomorrow I am driving 200 miles to take him to an avian vet, to make sure, once again, that there is nothing medical behind his condition. A good avian vet is expensive. I work for a wonderful vet, but Topy's vet is in the nearest large city. It is crucial that you have a vet who specializes in birds, and that costs a lot of money.

That is another thing. Cost and time. A cockatoo NEEDS one on one contact. They are not a good choice of bird for someone who is gone all day. It is very difficult to have a social life when you have a too. If you work or go to school during the day, you better plan on spending the afternoon and evening with your bird. Every day. They are creatures of habit and want things to be done at the same time, in the same way, every day.

And finally, the cost of toys and food. Cockatoos need fresh food. That means constantly cooking, chopping and purchasing expensive vegetables every day. And they have to have toys. Expensive toys. A constant, never-ending supply of toys that are switched out frequently. Unless you are very creative, toys will easily run you $60+ a month. I made the mistake of figuring out what my little bundle costs me a month....and it runs about $120, easily.

I am not trying to discourage you, but I want you to go into this with your eyes open. Cockatoos are wild animals. No matter how loving they can be, they can turn and bite in an instant. They can destroy your home. They are escape artists who will actually dismantle a cage in order to get out and eat your house. There are pictures on this site of a too who got out and actually ate the walls of his room. And they are incredibly needy animals. In the wild, they are a flock bird. They are never alone. And they don't want to be alone in your home either.

Stick around, read as much as you can, and pay attention to what others say. We are not lying or exaggerating. I wish we were. I personally would do anything I could to stop the breeding of these guys. It is a crime against nature to breed them as pets.

Kiwi would be going to my brother since he wants a bird too. i am home all day everyday. when schools in im home at 2. i know how much of a responsibility it is to care for a bird and im ready for it. i think i could handle it despite how hard everyone says it is.

#170876 - 07/24/08 12:51 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Misfit, may I ask how old you and your brother are?

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#170877 - 07/24/08 12:51 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: sandiego]  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

Originally Posted By: sandiego
Great post Jacque smile

Misfit, we want you to stay and read up as much as you can before deciding instead of doing an impulse buy because you saw a "good deal". These are animals, not toys. They don't have a price tag! We've had a lot of members JUST like you, some decided a cockatoo is DEFINITELY not for them after reading up, and some decided to go to a rescue and look around and now have a wonderful family member. This is the place to be, though, for cockatoos!!

ive already read up as much as possible on Cockatoos. i read all threw the mytoos.com site and everything. im not jumping into buying a Cockatoo, im doing my research but i wanted additional info so i signed up and asked you guys for help.

#170878 - 07/24/08 12:52 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
I am guessing you are pretty young. When you go off to college or work, what will happen to the bird? Just because you are home now, what about in 5, 10, or 20 years?? You need to go visit a rescue, as we've said, to get a first hand look at what a cockatoo is.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#170879 - 07/24/08 12:52 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: EchosMom]  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

Originally Posted By: EchosMom
Misfit, may I ask how old you and your brother are?

im 15 and my brothers 11.

#170880 - 07/24/08 12:56 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: sandiego]  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

Originally Posted By: sandiego
I am guessing you are pretty young. When you go off to college or work, what will happen to the bird? Just because you are home now, what about in 5, 10, or 20 years?? You need to go visit a rescue, as we've said, to get a first hand look at what a cockatoo is.

im not that young. and ive been around Cockatoos in real life. im just asking for info on Cockatoos not to be bombarded about if im too young or anything. ive taken alot onto consideration and i know i can handle it guys!

#170881 - 07/24/08 12:57 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
Jacque Offline
Lives Here
Jacque  Offline
Lives Here

Kanab, Utah
It's not that we say it is. It actually truely is that hard. Please, please consider a different type of bird while you are young. I'm sure you will want to date eventually.....and dating and cockatoos are not compatible. I would think you probably like to watch tv or movies....well get used to watching them alone, with your bird. If you don't have him on your lap while you watch tv....he will scream, so loud, that you won't hear a word of the show. If you have him with you, and someone else comes in the room to watch with you, he might very well attack to drive them away. Seriously. Long conversations on the phone will be a thing of the past. Toos are very jealous and know when your attention is on something else. They will either scream the entire time you are on the phone, or wait until your back is turned, and dismantle your phone. The Alltel dealer loves to see me coming. He knows I'm there to buy another darn cell phone because Topy just ate the last one.

No matter what we say, you are going to do whatever you want. Just bear this in mind. This is a lifetime committment. You can do incredible damage to a bird that you get and cuddle and love, for awhile. But then you get busy, with dating, and college, and a career and don't have the 4-6 hours a day MINIMUM that your bird requires. That's when the real problem behaviors will start. Go to the first page of the website and listen to the screaming. That is NOT an exaggeration. That will happen every day, at least twice a day. But if your bird starts feeling neglected, you will be hearing that non-stop.

Please, stick around, read, pay attention. And maybe you will see that we are not exaggerating the problems, by any stretch of the imagination.

#170885 - 07/24/08 01:04 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Jacque]  
Misfit_Bird Offline
Misfit_Bird  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jacque
It's not that we say it is. It actually truely is that hard. Please, please consider a different type of bird while you are young. I'm sure you will want to date eventually.....and dating and cockatoos are not compatible. I would think you probably like to watch tv or movies....well get used to watching them alone, with your bird. If you don't have him on your lap while you watch tv....he will scream, so loud, that you won't hear a word of the show. If you have him with you, and someone else comes in the room to watch with you, he might very well attack to drive them away. Seriously. Long conversations on the phone will be a thing of the past. Toos are very jealous and know when your attention is on something else. They will either scream the entire time you are on the phone, or wait until your back is turned, and dismantle your phone. The Alltel dealer loves to see me coming. He knows I'm there to buy another darn cell phone because Topy just ate the last one.

No matter what we say, you are going to do whatever you want. Just bear this in mind. This is a lifetime committment. You can do incredible damage to a bird that you get and cuddle and love, for awhile. But then you get busy, with dating, and college, and a career and don't have the 4-6 hours a day MINIMUM that your bird requires. That's when the real problem behaviors will start. Go to the first page of the website and listen to the screaming. That is NOT an exaggeration. That will happen every day, at least twice a day. But if your bird starts feeling neglected, you will be hearing that non-stop.

Please, stick around, read, pay attention. And maybe you will see that we are not exaggerating the problems, by any stretch of the imagination.

i know you guys arent exaggerating. i know what your telling me is true but i dont want you guys to think just because im young i cant handle it. i have parents too who are home when im not that can give the bird attention.

#170887 - 07/24/08 01:14 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Can I ask you a brutally honest question? Do you have any friends your age that got pregnant and had a baby at 15 years old??? What is their life like??

You are about to adopt a child that is never going to grow up. Ever.

Please don't rush into this decision. Stay with the smaller birds until you are more independent and have more control over your own life.

You sound like a person that would make a dedicated parrot owner. In time.. What is your rush??? Your only 15.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#170888 - 07/24/08 01:16 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Jacque]  
ChickenBaby Offline
ChickenBaby  Offline

Sunshine State
Oh my gosh, Please read, read , read and then read some more. I have a son who is almost your age and he is pretty darn terrified of our cockatoo. I don't think a cockatoo is the right bird for anyone, but especially not someone as young as yourself.
You will get bitten and what will your parents think of that. If you get bitten enough they may even make you get rid of your bird, then what will happen to him?
At 15 you are not capable of providing all the needs of a cockatoo. Your parents will need to help financially and physically, it is important that they do their research also and that they become as informed as you are.
Please do a search on cockatoo rescues and research them more.

#170892 - 07/24/08 01:20 AM Re: info on Cockatoos? [Re: Misfit_Bird]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I have another question for you? Do you feel (HONESTLY) that you are ready and able to be a responsible parent? Can you (not your parents) provide for a child's emotional, physical and financial needs?

ETA: I was posting as the same time as others so I apologize for the repetitive (but good) questions.

Last edited by EchosMom; 07/24/08 01:23 AM.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny