Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 13 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#170513 - 07/21/08 06:55 PM Dive bombing  
Mothra's Mom Offline
Mothra's Mom  Offline

Indiana
Any advice on what to do about a dive bombing U2? Mothra Sue dive bombs me but she never bites---she flies to my shoulder, climbs around, and tries to eat whatever I'm holding. If I don't want her on me I have to repeatedly put her back on her play gym and distract her with a toy or a treat to keep her occupied. Sometimes I put her in her cage. I'm not as concerned with her dive bombing me (because she doesn't hurt me) as with her dive bombing other people.

Mothra dive bombs visitors and often nips them on the ears. Usually the bites aren't serious and don't break the skin but my guests never know how to respond and they become very afraid of her. I've done research and I still don't know what to tell people to do in response. I always end up going to get her and usually put her in her cage. I'm sure that's reinforcing the negative behavior but I don't know what else to do when my guest is afraid, crouched over, and protecting their head. It's my understanding that in a home setting where a bird is attacking a family member that person should become the primary caretaker in order to improve their relationship. However I don't know how that would work when the person is just visiting.

This is a difficult problem when I have houseguests staying overnight for days at a time many times throughout the year. I don't want to keep her isolated, I don't want my guests hiding in another room, and I won't consider clipping her wings because she loves to fly and that would be very cruel to take that away and would probably make her more aggressive, not less.

In October I'll only have had Mothra for two years, and she's barely four years old so I'm not sure if she's even hormonal yet. I adopted her from an older woman who didn't do much more with her than cuddle her (and chain smoke...). Maybe Mothra is just testing her boundaries? She certainly knows that I don't know how to handle this particular behavior. Your help is greatly appreciated---even suggestions on what to search for in the forum. I looked up "attack" and "dive bomb" and didn't find anything specifically related to my problem.

Thanks again on behalf of me and Mothra Sue!

"Ask not for whom the cockatoo shrieks. She shrieks for thee..."
#170515 - 07/21/08 07:06 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: Mothra's Mom]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
My budgie Philip does this to me constantly. What I do when Ive had enough is immediately raise my hand, palm towards him, fingers spread as he comes diving in to ambush me again. It usually takes to or three times for him to get the message, but I think the sudden distraction between him and his landing pad (me) is what makes him swerve away. I also duck down as I do it, because the sudden 'drop away' action makes him think twice as well. Am not sure if this is a safe practice with a cockatoo tho, I guess only trial and error, and/or imput from others here will answer that one!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#170517 - 07/21/08 07:09 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: wishfull]  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
I suggest clipping his wings. That way you are not only protecting yourself and visitors, but your too as well.

Humans are the only animals that are mean on purpose
#170518 - 07/21/08 07:32 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: mandymmr]  
Ldybyrd Offline
Ldybyrd  Offline

Utah
I agree with Mandy. Wing clipping sounds like a great idea. Perhaps,when you have guests removing your darling from the situation.

My M2, Gabby, has to go to his room when guests come. He becomes very loud and can get nippy and so I try to stop the behavior before it happens. He does complain and contact call for us in his room while they are there but it is easier on the ears with him in his room and the door closed.

Candi & flock
Gabby & Junior (M2s)
Larry Bird (SIE)
#170519 - 07/21/08 07:43 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: mandymmr]  
precioustoos Offline
precioustoos  Offline

Salina, Kansas
Thanks for starting this thread, Mothra's Mom. I have a similar situation. I have a Quaker that is "visiting" for a moth or so due my father's health concerns. Isaac has decided that I am his mate and is dive-bombing everyone that comes into the house. He also dive bombs my little dog if he sees me holding it! And he's drawing blood every time. One daughter is especially afraid of him, since she was recently attacked and bitten by a bat and is undergoing the very painful series of rabies shots. My grandkids are all afraid to come to my house while he's there. I can't clip his wings, since he isn't even mine!! I'll be watching to see what advice you are given, since it might help me, too!

A bird is like a child to love, nurture, and care for. . . but they never grow up and move away.
#170520 - 07/21/08 07:44 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: Ldybyrd]  
Mothra's Mom Offline
Mothra's Mom  Offline

Indiana
Thank you all for your responses smile I'm still not convinced about wing clipping. I REALLY don't want to take flight away from her and I'm really not considering it. From what I've learned about birds, it's the ones who can't fly away when they're afraid who are the most aggressive (i.e. the ones with clipped wings or who are cage bound). Also, Mothra takes daily flights around the living room and sometimes shrieks for joy as she's flying---I wouldn't take that away from her!

I've been keeping her in her own room when I have people over, but that takes out-of-cage time away from her. Any ideas on how my guests can behave differently to keep her from dive bombing? I, personally, sometimes resort to waving my hands in the air when I really don't want her on me, but I feel that is confusing and scary to her and that there must be a better way to discourage her.

If the answer is to never, ever let her fly to anyone's shoulder and stay there, then 1) what's the best way to prevent a bird from landing on your shoulder; and 2) if she does manage to land there, anyway, what should be done (and by whom)? I would do any technique consistently if I feel it's the right response and in the best interests of Mothra.

Thanks again smile

#170522 - 07/21/08 07:50 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: Mothra's Mom]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
If she is a danger to you or your company it may be best to get her clipped. Are your guests doing something to encourage the behavior? If so tell them to stop I cant really think of a way for them to discourage it other then not presenting a steady place to land. And to do that they'd need to dip and weave and move around a bunch which really isnt realistic is it?

If her out of cage time is going to suffer any way because she isn't clipped. Wouldn't it be better to have her clipped and allow her to be outside more? It just seems like she could really hurt herself or some one. If some one isnt a bird person and she lands on them the person could freak out and hit or push her off.

Abe
#170525 - 07/21/08 07:59 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: Mothra's Mom]  
mandymmr Offline
Lives Here
mandymmr  Offline
Lives Here

INDIANA
Originally Posted By: Mothra's Mom
From what I've learned about birds, it's the ones who can't fly away when they're afraid who are the most aggressive (i.e. the ones with clipped wings or who are cage bound).

This is not true. Although my Ellie is aggressive right now (hormonal) she isn't any other time, and she is a wing mutilator. She has split all her shafts on her wings, and thus she has none. You couldn't find a sweeter too than Ellie (besides hormonal season) and she is cage bound/can't fly.

Wing clipping isn't necessarily mean. I get my B&g wings clipped. I clip to protect them and their safety. Some may disagree, but I would rather them be safe. How many times you hear of them flying into windows, or out the door, or attacking people. IMO it only take's on silly person to walk in your house and your too to "dive bomb & nip them" for them to turn around a sue! Yes it is just like having a dog biting someone!

But that is my opinion and fears.

I find it also a good tool for training purposes.

Humans are the only animals that are mean on purpose
#170526 - 07/21/08 08:09 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: Ketrel]  
Birdiemommy Offline
Lives Here
Birdiemommy  Offline
Lives Here

I don't let my birds out with guests or any stranger other than on my arm and in my control. This is a safety issue for both the bird and my guests. Birds can do great damage to a person (which many of us around here know, even from our own birds) and when they are around strangers there can be fear on the bird's part as well as the guests. It's the same thing as having a dog jumping on guests and a dog is a lot more domesticated than a bird. And I would never dream of letting my dogs jump on guests.

Wing clipping is a personal decision and I think it totally depends on the bird. My young macaw flaps her wings all the time but hasn't tried to fly. My older bird never tries to fly unless startled. If the young one flies around a lot as it gets older I might consider clipping her just as a safety issue because I want to be able to take her out of the bird room. The birds are in their own room, outside of cages but they have a large window to see into the family room so I don't have to worry about putting them in a cage unless I'm gone and someone else has to feed them.

Last edited by Birdiemommy; 07/21/08 08:10 PM.
#170541 - 07/21/08 10:06 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: Birdiemommy]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Mothras mom. You are getting some things confused. It sounds to me like you have a very well adjusted and confident, fully flighted bird. I find that fabulous.

You have a reckless teenager who is rebelling because they have never been told no or had any boundaries. The teenager has been out creating hell. What do you do? You ground him and take away privileges till he comes to his senses.

The bird needs to be taken down a notch. The bird knows how to fly. He is not going to forget. Clipping the wings is temporary. This is where the dominance argument comes in. There is no dominance by anyone. You must provide LEADERSHIP with rules and respect. Proper time outs for bad behavior is warranted. The teenager is not allowed to have the car for a while.

In the wild if there is a flock of birds. One of them will be bigger, faster, smarter than the rest. He always knows where the good food is. He protects the flock. He shows confidence and doesn't take guff from anyone in the flock. Young birds learn from him. Adolescents aspire to be him. He does not dominate them. He leads them by example. They naturally want to follow him. He has earned the position.

You put a group of people together for a period of time and make them survive on their own. Someone will naturally rise as the leader through their actions. The rest will naturally start to follow that persons lead.

In other words. Become the "leader".

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#170543 - 07/21/08 10:11 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: Mothra's Mom]  
Lanie Offline
Lanie  Offline

So. California
Two things that I would be really worried about if I were you....

One of your guests (like Abe mentioned) could react, without thinking and literally throw your bird into the wall or hard onto the floor, she could be badly injured or killed. Your bird could bite someone's eye or severely anywhere on the face and cause permanent damage to your guest. My Goffin is clipped and he flew/jumped off of his T-Stand and bit my neighbor on the ear bad enough to make it bleed. He isn't allowed out when guests are in the house anymore. For his safety and my friends'. If you really feel that you can't clip her wings (a lot of people fell really strongly about this, I understand), you'll have to keep her away from house guests. You may have to spend more time in the bird room with her to make sure she gets enough attention. My Goffin is a handful. There is no way I could handle him if he were flighted. Your bird is a lot bigger. Best of luck for a happy outcome for all concerned. smile

Owned by Sammy the "Super Goffin"
#170545 - 07/21/08 10:34 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: Lanie]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
I brought Peanut with me to my local bird store yesterday while checking out peanut leaped from my arm to the guy in front of me. If Peanut had bitten him or made him bleed... it probably would have ended pretty badly for both of us...

Abe
#170546 - 07/21/08 10:38 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: Lanie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cassie is fully flighted and will occasionally dive bomb. If she does she gets a time out in the cage. Once now is usually enough to deter her from doing it again. When I have company over Cassie is in her cage, especially if there are multiple people.
When she is in one of her moods I put my hand over my head with my arm outstretched so that she can land safely on my hand. Waving your arms in the air will confuse and frighten. It takes some practice to intercept the dive but you can get used to it. I personally would feel that keeping her away from company is safer for all involved. Clipping is a personal choice and a lot of thought needs to be put into it. The last time I had Cassie clipped she became severely depressed for a couple of days until she realized that she could still fly. I swore that I would never put her through that again. She wasn't eating, playing or vocalizing. All she wanted to do was sit in my lap and cuddle. It was very sad. She's a much happier and healthier bird being able to fly. But again this is a personal choice that only you should make. Best of luck. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#170550 - 07/21/08 11:05 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: Mothra's Mom]  
Mothra's Mom Offline
Mothra's Mom  Offline

Indiana
It sounds like there's not much I can do to keep Mothra from flying onto people, except always immediately put her in her cage for a time out and/or clip her wings. The intercept trick sounds like a great idea (to have her land on my hand instead of my shoulder) and I will try it---she's usually so close, though, when she starts to fly that I would have very little time to intercept her.

#170552 - 07/21/08 11:41 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: Mothra's Mom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Watch her body language. You can figure out when she is going to take off, just takes some getting used to. There are subtle signs. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#170553 - 07/21/08 11:42 PM Re: Dive bombing [Re: Mothra's Mom]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
"she's usually so close, though, when she starts to fly that I would have very little time to intercept her."

Trying to intercept her, you may hurt her.

Abe
#170570 - 07/22/08 01:40 AM Re: Dive bombing [Re: Ketrel]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Because you have not assumed the role of leader of the flock. The position was left open. Your bird has assumed the position because it was there. Flocks need a leader. Your not the leader. Like it or not.

John
#170574 - 07/22/08 01:56 AM Re: Dive bombing [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
John that's a bit harsh. Birds are birds and will do what birds do. Yes Cassie can be bratty at times but she also knows that it will not be tolerated. Learning a birds body language takes time as you know. Intercepting is not as dangerous as waving your hands in the air. Yes it takes some getting used to but reading a birds body language does also take time. Do I consider myself a flock leader, I suppose, is it that important to me, most likely, but the most important thing to me is that Cassie is safe, healthy and happy and that no one else is hurt. I've been achieving each of these. I'm sure that Mothra'smom can do the same. No one becomes flock leader overnight and offering suggestions is great but belittling doesn't provide assistance.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#170579 - 07/22/08 02:26 AM Re: Dive bombing [Re: BE2Cassie]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: BE2Cassie
Yes Cassie can be bratty at times but she also knows that it will not be tolerated

You just made my point. You are obviously the leader.

John
#170581 - 07/22/08 02:49 AM Re: Dive bombing [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Yes but it can be illustrated in nicer ways. Suggestions for dealing with the behavior was what was asked. Suggestions and support is what is expected and usually given. John your a great care giver and a valued member of this board. I've seen and learned to expect that support from you. Nancy

Last edited by BE2Cassie; 07/22/08 02:55 AM.

Nancy & Cassie BE2
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny