Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 40 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Print Thread
#169946 - 07/16/08 06:15 PM Administering meds  
Lanie Offline
Lanie  Offline

So. California
From Echo's Mom:

Lanie will Sammy accept soft, mushy foods from a spoon?? Like oatmeal or mash, yogurt even? If so you can do it that way. You can also inject the Baytril in a small piece of banana or fruit - anything that will hold the meds (as long as you know you can get him to eat it). If so, that is the least intrusive way to dose oral meds.

Yes, there are some things he will eat from a spoon, but usually is more interested in playing with the spoon & I have to make sure he gets all of the medicine in him (I think he might dump the contents of the spoon while playing with it). This morning was a disaster. I just got to work an hour late trying to deal with it. I mixed the medicine up in a little peanut butter and put it in his treat dish. He loves peanut butter & would usually eat a whole jar if I let him. He wouldn't touch it. I think he could smell the medicine in it or knew I was up to no good giving him a big treat like that first thing in the morning. I ended up having to towel him. Got more of the medicine on me than on him, and got a nip on the hand after I let him out of the towel. I'm going to go get some applesauce on my way home and see if I can get him to eat that off of the spoon. We're going to have to start working with a syringe like others have suggested. I never even thought of that. It might be a little tough right now, because the syringe is definitely his enemy right now after yesterday with the vet & this morning with me. Can anyone give me some instructions on how you went about making a game out of this? Do you hold your bird on your lap while giving them tea, or do this on a playstand, in the cage??? Other question: I think he'd probably eat yogurt, but would the probiotic cultures in the yogurt cancel the antibiotic?

Last edited by Lanie; 07/16/08 06:17 PM. Reason: sp

Owned by Sammy the "Super Goffin"
#169981 - 07/17/08 02:51 AM Re: Administering meds [Re: Lanie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Lanie, I am going to defer to your AV for the answer to your last question about probiotics cancelling antibiotics, but I don't believe so. Or maybe someone here knows for sure?

One thing I do know for sure is it is important that Sammy gets the required dosage of meds. If you got more of the meds on you than in him, that's not good. Depending on how much of the meds you think you are losing, you may need to get a refill and extend the time of treatment. Another question for your AV.

Hopefully you will find something that he'll eat with the meds in it. That's a short-term solution. Then you can begin working on making the syringe a good, rewarding experience, as Charlie suggested.

Last edited by EchosMom; 07/17/08 02:52 AM.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#169983 - 07/17/08 03:41 AM Re: Administering meds [Re: EchosMom]  
Lanie Offline
Lanie  Offline

So. California
Okay, we've found a solution for now. The peanut butter I used this morning was fresh out of the fridge. I think that the medicine wasn't mixed into it well enough & he could taste it. A friend came over this afternoon to help me towel him & we decided to try again with the peanut butter first, at room temperature. This time it worked. He wolfed it all down, no problem. The AV just called to tell me that his fecal gram stain is normal & I asked him about the yogurt. He said it wouldn't cancel out the Baytril, so okay to use in small quantities. I just mixed some plain nonfat yogurt with some crushed up peaches to see if he'd eat it, and he did. So I'll switch to that if he gets tired of the peanut butter. They gave me a 1/2 oz bottle of the Baytril and he's taking .15 oz 2x/day, so if I don't waste too much more, it should last the 7 days, if not, they'll mix up some more for me. Going to start on making friends with the syringe after this is all over. Thank a lot for the help.
9 years with 1 bird does not an expert make, that's for sure.

#169985 - 07/17/08 03:52 AM Re: Administering meds [Re: Lanie]  
Stormy Offline
Stormy  Offline

PA
At the pharmacy they gave me a bunch of different size of syringes used to give children medicine. I gave one to Buddy to explore and play with. After he was used to it, I then filled it with whatever his favorite drink is and squirted a bit into his beak. He enjoyed that very much and started looking forward for me to bring a syringe out and he would wait until it was full and for me to feed him. It didn't matter whether he was on my lap or on top of his cage or playstand, as long as he seen that syringe coming he was ready for a beak full. lol The real test came when he had an injury and had to have pain meds. I measured it out in his syringe and he just opened his beak to take it. As a matter of fact he used to get mad at me because he wanted more so I had a cup of warm tea ready to fill for the syringe so he was happy and I was happy that he got his full dose of meds.

Owned by birds and loving it!!
Terri
#169987 - 07/17/08 03:57 AM Re: Administering meds [Re: Stormy]  
Lanie Offline
Lanie  Offline

So. California
That's a great idea. They gave me 4 syringes. I'll start introducing them as toys in a couple of weeks. Thanks

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny