Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#171560 - 07/28/08 05:13 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Quote:
peanuts ( but make sure you buy the one at the petstore coz raw peanut can have some kind of fungus i think and hurt the bird

Sorry, have to jump in here... you actually want human grade, not animal grade peanut if you *must* feed peanut. They can carry aflotoxins

Quote:
MY RECOMMENDATION
I recommend either Valencia or Spanish peanuts as they have the lowest levels of aflatoxin. Also, please note that low-grade animal feed products are more likely to be contaminated with aflatoxin than those products sold for human consumption. Roasting helps to dry nuts and may inhibit the formation of the mold. We prefer to feed our birds raw peanuts, however, and have not experienced a problem. Peanuts must be grown, shipped and stored properly to decrease the chance of the development of aflatoxin-producing mold. Be sure you purchase your peanuts from a reliable source.By Alicia McWatters, Ph.D.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#171938 - 07/31/08 12:39 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
Elfhome Offline
Elfhome  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Siiiigh. Do you think all your Toos could teach my cockatiel the ways of eating mash?

My cockatiel has the opposite problem. She wouldn't eat mash if her life depended on it. She loves her seeds, pellets, and dried veggies, and she like crunchy treats. But every time I offer her anything cooked she won't touch it. I will cook (lightly steam) a veggie she loves and she will beak it and then become very upset at having perfectly good veggies 'ruined'. smirk

"A Robin Redbreast in a cage
Puts all Heaven in a Rage."
~William Blake
#171940 - 07/31/08 12:47 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Elfhome]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Warm cooked food is the trait of a hand raised bird. Your bird eats more like a bird would naturally. As long as she is getting the proper nutrition and eating well. Who cares?

There's no cooked food in the jungle!

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#171944 - 07/31/08 01:13 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Elfhome, Cassie won't touch food cooked and definately not mash! The only things I cook for her are rice and beans. Everything else is raw or close to raw. I do slightly cook sweetpotatoes, but am sure to keep them slighty crisp otherwise she won't touch them! She eats everything so I stopped worrying a while ago. Just have to make sure I give her enough high calorie foods as she doesn't keep weight on too well.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#172140 - 08/01/08 07:51 PM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Elfhome Offline
Elfhome  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
I'm always worrying about Bella's diet... I know she eats pretty well but there are some foods like string beans, rice, beans, sweet potato that she looks at so longingly. I feel so bad for her because she sees them and she really wants to try them uncooked - she doesn't understand why I can't let her have any.

~William Blake
#172148 - 08/01/08 11:25 PM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Lanie Offline
Lanie  Offline

So. California
Originally Posted By: BE2Cassie
Elfhome, Cassie won't touch food cooked and definately not mash! The only things I cook for her are rice and beans. Everything else is raw or close to raw. I do slightly cook sweetpotatoes, but am sure to keep them slighty crisp otherwise she won't touch them! She eats everything so I stopped worrying a while ago. Just have to make sure I give her enough high calorie foods as she doesn't keep weight on too well.
Nancy

Most of what Sammy eats is raw as well, except beans, rice, pasta.
I steam corn on the cob slightly. Yams are baked, but not mushy.

Owned by Sammy the "Super Goffin"
#172156 - 08/02/08 12:26 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Lanie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
How come you don't give her raw string beans? Is there something wrong with raw that I'm not aware of? My whole crew eats them daily. So do all the herps, mammals and birds at the zoo.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#172163 - 08/02/08 01:55 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: BE2Cassie
How come you don't give her raw string beans? Is there something wrong with raw that I'm not aware of? My whole crew eats them daily. So do all the herps, mammals and birds at the zoo.
Nancy

That's what I was wondering. All the things you said she longs for are what you should be giving her. Raw or cooked.

John
#172166 - 08/02/08 02:41 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Legume beans do need to be cooked because of something in them that needs to be cooked out. Sorry I've forgotten what's it's called. And sweetpotatoe too has some enzyme or something that needs to be cooked out. Although we gave it raw at the zoo.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#172169 - 08/02/08 02:47 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
I misunderstood. I thought she wasn't giving her any. Just not raw.

John
#172200 - 08/02/08 05:34 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Lanie Offline
Lanie  Offline

So. California
I hope there isn't anything wrong with raw string beans that I didn't know about. I feed him those a lot.

#172209 - 08/02/08 06:35 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Lanie]  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

I feed Razzle Raw string beans also.. when I get them freshat farm stand, she loes to get the beans out, this is about the nly veggie she wil eat uncooked at room temp. I havent feed Razzle and raw brown rice, but can you? I am just curious..lol I always cook the sweet potatoes and yams, as well as beans. Are there any bags of beans you can give raw? I thought they all needed to be cleaned VERY well and cooked in crock pot.. could be wrong... again, just curious. =)

***Treat others how you yourself expect to be treated***
#172216 - 08/02/08 07:52 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
Elfhome Offline
Elfhome  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Also, string beans should be fine raw. It is most varieties of beans and green beans that carry the toxin (I typed string bean instead of green bean). My family calls string beans green beans - which does not help matters. String beans may or may not have lectins - there seems to be some debate about this - but the answer is probably not in appreciable quantities.

~William Blake
#172249 - 08/02/08 06:20 PM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
Lanie Offline
Lanie  Offline

So. California
Originally Posted By: Razzle'sMommy
I thought they all needed to be cleaned VERY well and cooked in crock pot.. =)

I never thought of using the crock pot to cook the beans. That's a great idea. I've always cooked them on the stove top.

#172255 - 08/02/08 07:10 PM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Lanie]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
"any bags of beans you can give raw"

What is a bag of beans? Are you talking about dried beans?

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#172278 - 08/02/08 09:42 PM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

Spinny, yes I am talking about the beans in the ags at grocery stores. I wasnt sure if there was a bean "dried" that you can buy to give them, as far as I am told you cant, just wanted to ask. We are NOT big bean eaters, my hubby likes baked from the can which I know is a no no. I use the white canneli beans in my Italian bean pasta soup. After that I have only bought beans in the bag, the soup mixture for Razzle, clean them then cook in the crock pot and mash some, freeze some and then serve some =) to the birds.

***Treat others how you yourself expect to be treated***
#172322 - 08/03/08 06:13 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Bill gets dried, then cooked beans every day. As per our vet's instructions. I cook them in huge batches (because we are big bean eaters) in my pressure cooker. I do about 3 kilos at a time. (uh, hold on... 2.2lbs to a kilo) add about 3x as much water and leave it hissing for 18 minutes. Then I freeze it on cookie sheets (like you would berries) and throw it into freezer bags. Instant cooked beans. He gets a handful in his mash.

Why is one not supposed to feed beans to a cockatoo? I have never heard this.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#172382 - 08/04/08 01:10 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
All beans are not created equally, some have enzyme inhibitors that make them indigestible to parrots. Here is the best sorting I have seen yet:

Quote:
large raw beans - such as Anasazi, Black, Fava, Kidney, Lima, Navy, Pinto, and Soy - can cause toxicities when fed raw, causing digestive upsets for people and potentially for birds. Some experts recommend that large beans should be cooked to make them safe and digestible. Others counter that soaking beans for 24 hours starts the germinating process and that soaking makes the beans safe and digestible. For those who do not want to take any risks, it's best to cook large beans thoroughly before feeding to your birds. These beans are not recommeded for general sprouting purposes. Certain uncooked dried beans contain enzyme inhibitors, are undigestible, and may cause visceral gout in birds. These enzyme inhibitors may prevent or decrease the utilization in the body of substances, such as trypsin and chymotrypsin, to produce nutritional deficiencies. Beans that can interfere with proteolytic enzymes are lima, kidney and soybeans. Cooking these beans for at least 2 hours destroys these enzyme inhibitors. Other dried beans do not appear to contain these enzyme inhibitors or, if present, are in low concentrations. To be on the safe side, it's best to cook ALL varieties of beans.

#172422 - 08/04/08 05:00 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Charlie]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Huh. I always cook my beans anyway, but I hadn't known that. Good thing Bill doesn't like raw beans!!!

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#172514 - 08/04/08 11:21 PM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Elfhome Offline
Elfhome  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Bit of a warning:
Quote:
As few as four or five raw beans can trigger symptoms. Several outbreaks have been associated with "slow cookers" or crock pots, or in casseroles which had not reached a high enough internal temperature to destroy the glycoprotein lectin. It has been shown that heating to 80C may potentiate the toxicity five-fold, so that these beans are more toxic than if eaten raw. In studies of casseroles cooked in slow cookers, internal temperatures often did not exceed 75C.

Symptoms:
Quote:
Onset is usually marked by extreme nausea, followed by vomiting, which may be very severe. Diarrhea develops somewhat later (from one to a few hours), and some persons report abdominal pain.

From the US FDA site

~William Blake
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny