Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#169669 - 07/12/08 04:59 AM Warm food only??  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

Hey guys.. anyone else's cockatoo only eat warm food? Lately razzle does not want ANYTHING cold including fresh veggies has to be heated and I *think* I may have spoiled her with daily mashes.. is this ok? Anthing aside from her pellets and pellet foods she will not touch unless heated and smashed to baby bites. Do I need to change something is this OK? I know they can be picky, but is she holding onto loving to be spon fed and having these comfort foods every morning and night? Did I over spoil her?? Just want to be sure, I love feeding her but want to make sure I am doing the right thing, now that I notice fresh foods unless heated are no longer desirable.

***Treat others how you yourself expect to be treated***
#169671 - 07/12/08 05:00 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

Even her birdie bread, she will eat until cooled then she wants nothing more to do with it! Typical?? I am soo hoping.

#169673 - 07/12/08 05:01 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
Its better then seed. If she still craves hand feedings she probably wasn't abundance weened and you may have to rectify it. Although you really already are by giving her the mashes and hand feeding her.

Remember to hot is bad it can burn a hole in their crop.

Spinnys Mr.Bill can tell you about thank god he turned out alright(I love Mr.Bill)

Dont stress the weening thing may be rectified. Let me put it to yout his way. The way I found this link is I went to my first post and janny had put it there.

http://www.nd.edu/~kkiessel/weaning.html

Last edited by Ketrel; 07/12/08 05:04 AM.

Abe
#169677 - 07/12/08 05:08 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Ketrel]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Razzle is still a baby - she needs those comfort feedings. She'll let you know when she's ready to give them up. It took my M2 almost a year to get down to just 1 night time feeding. Eventually that became unnecessary too. Echo's 6, but she still enjoys eating warm oatmeal or mashed sweet potatoes from a spoon. Sometimes she holds the spoon herself, but mostly she likes to me hold it for her.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#169679 - 07/12/08 05:09 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: EchosMom]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
Echo said it best!

I still do mashes for Chewy every few days Ill just crush up a banana for her, she loves it.

Abe
#169682 - 07/12/08 05:13 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Ketrel]  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

Hi Abe, YEP know that thread by heart and I am sure I am still abundance weaning her.. she stopped taking her baby formula a few weeks ago.. she just turned away from it. I was making fresh mashes and whipping up and grinding things up in my magic bullet machine and then heating up. I know about the overheating and am VERY careful. We leave many many things out for her but lately or for this week she has not wanted her shredded carrots which she loved or string beans... just mash.. She will eat everthing else out of her parrot mixture and eat most pellets, but am I encouraging her not to wean "per say" because she loves the mashes? Right now it is the only thing she is devouring! She never liked anything cold at all.. it had to be room temp or warm.. now well this week just heated only.
I failed to mention that I am working 11-3 2 days a week now to help someone out.. could this be reason? wanting the comfort? I make sure to leave foraging toys and food when I leave and I come home and they are well eaten..LOL.. she is still young approx 7 1/2 months old.
Thank you for input

#169683 - 07/12/08 05:15 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

Ok good thank you guys, I know she is young and I still sprinkle a little of the baby formula on top at night ever since she stopped taking the baby formula straight. Thank you.. I just want to make sure I do everything right! I love her sooooooooo much!!

#169684 - 07/12/08 05:18 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

LOL EM.. Razzle loves to feed herself too... look here:
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff2/Thescrapshakfamily/partyrazzle077.jpg
I am scrapboking her!
PS... anyone know of a good sight to find out where U2's came from, which Countries? I want to put info in front of scrapbook where she could of generated from and all about the U2's. Lori B

#169685 - 07/12/08 05:27 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
No your not encouraging her not to wean. She has to feel confortable to chose to be weaned. Its not something that should be forced or encouraged when she is ready she will wean.

this is from Charlie
http://www.charlieandpeggy.com/5.html

also I wouldn't sprinkle the baby food in, If the directions are any guide. The formula needs to be "cooked" Im sure just the mashes would be fine smile

Now when she turned away from the baby food did you keep offering it to her for about a week? Thats important.

Abe
#169688 - 07/12/08 05:35 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Ketrel]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Tika is 14 years old. He will hardly touch any food that is not warmed up. I even have to warm up his pellets. It's to the point now he won't hold anything messy that might dirty his foot. He holds the clean stuff. I get to hold the messy stuff.

Last edited by TiKa's Dad; 07/12/08 05:39 AM.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#169690 - 07/12/08 05:46 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

Abe,
yes we made it every morning and every night, she tasted and walked away.. then I made the mash..she ate the mash. I keep all around the 101 mark the baby food was at. keep a thermometor (sorry typo) at hand. Its funny because I offer it at room temp she turns up her nose, I come back heated and she devours it!!!
John, I have been soaking and heating the pellets also to make sure she is eating them as much as well. I also grind and sprinkle on her mashes.

#169691 - 07/12/08 05:47 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

ohhhh Thank you for that (link) article Abe!!

#169694 - 07/12/08 06:07 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
A word on hot food.....

Bill also likes piping hot food. If you're warming up the food in the microwave you MUST STIR IT WITH YOUR LITTLE FINGER!!! The microwave can superheat foods and it can leave cold spots and super hot spots. Your little finger is sensitive enough to be able to tell if it's 'stingy' hot or not.

Bill's former owners beleived that if they said 'it's hot' that he would test it on his own. Which he does on occasion (in fact it's a sneaky way for him to take a bite is to tell him it's hot), but if he's hungry, or it's somehting he really really likes, he'll dig in without any thought of being careful.

As Ketrel said, crop burns are nothing to mess with. Bill had what the doctor thinks was either a crop burn or damage from something injested that damaged his crop 3-5 years BEFORE I had him. It was five months of antibiotics, surgery etc....

As far as mash goes... don't worry about it. Bill is 34y/o, but was wild caught WAY too young and force weaned by someone who didn't know anything. So he has "babywhine" when he's hungry or wants something. It's gotten better as we ensure that his needs are met. You will not do him any harm feeding him mash. Not giving him the mash (and the comfort & assurance that goes with it) might. Mash is a great way to get new foods, extra supplements etc into them. You can hide almost anything in it.

Last edited by spinnyspoo; 07/12/08 06:08 AM.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#169731 - 07/13/08 04:17 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

Thank you Spinny and yes I was aware of not making to hot =)

#170181 - 07/18/08 07:44 PM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
MocBoy Offline
MocBoy  Offline

SE WI
ChloeG2 is 5 and still insists on hot food, not warm, hot, spoon fed to her. We tried to transition her to pellets and fresh food. It was a definite "no go". Some time ago she wanted to eat like a big girl and pushed the spoon away and wanted to eat out of the bowl. The momperson goofed cause she started doing other things in the kitchen and adjacent laundry room while Chloe ate. No good, Chloe missed the direct interaction and stopped eating by herself. Two years later we have just started to get her to eat at least 1/2 the meal directly from the bowl. At first the warm food was oatmeal, thats how she came to us. There is some advantage to this. We can get her to eat almost anything in the warm food. Her food now consists of oatmeal, white rice, brown rice, soy, barley and a few other things I can't recall now. Plus we give vitamin supplements in the food. At breakfast she gets some fruit and at night veggies. Those things are dried from the "just ****" line of products, as they have nothing added. If we, the slaves, have oatmeal for breakfast, watch out, incoming goffin.

Chloe has some seeds available during the day as snacks, mostly crushed nutriberries. Also we dry cantaloupe seeds which she loves. The seeds are less than 10% of her diet. She is not a big eater between meals. Our AV is satisfied with what we feed her.

We feel the amount of time to feed her this way is not much different than any other way. You will always have prep and cooking time for bird food. However with this feeding method we don't have to worry about food spoiling and we don't have to clean up food that is thrown around. It is also great bonding time and face time with Chloe. Her wanting warm mushy food does limit the ability to use her food as a foraging item, but we are giving some thought on how to accomplish that.

She is just now starting to eat some people food. She loves cheese, figures she wants something that she can't have. Potatoes and potato products are a big favorite. We have take out Friday night fish fries that includes potato pancakes. Chloe LOVES potato pancakes, but just the soft middle, not the crust. When she sees those white styro boxes come through the door it is animated goffin time.

#170185 - 07/18/08 08:46 PM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: MocBoy]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
mocboy, Bill will sell his grandmother for potato products.

The nice thing about them eating oatmeal or mash is that you really *can* hide almost anything in it.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#170222 - 07/19/08 02:11 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Jampad Offline
Jampad  Offline

Austin, TX
Chilly is all about warmed soft food and turns her nose at everything but pellets unless it is heated. When the warmth dies down, she'll drop it as well. She will eat room temp bananas. But that is about the only thing.

Yes, careful with those microwaves. It is sometimes hard to tell exactly how hot they are and there are big differences in heating something from chilled or room temp.

#170235 - 07/19/08 04:12 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
Bokka loves his Harrison Pellets and most of his food warm and tasy.. he also doesnt like too much colder foods. He'll leave his cooked foods alone once they're cool.

Mercedez

Last edited by Bokka-pooh; 07/19/08 04:12 AM.
#170448 - 07/21/08 12:40 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: Bokka-pooh]  
obie Offline
obie  Offline

ga
you should try to give her a separate dish that you could put small peices of veggies and fruit in, at first they will always ignore it but them being curious about anything will eventually might play with it first and try it. my m2 eats nothing but fresh fruits and veggies, and i have a sep dish with pellets all the time. i slice them small enough that she could hold it in her feet, and here are some samples that you might want to try,
peanuts ( but make sure you buy the one at the petstore coz raw peanut can have some kind of fungus i think and hurt the bird) i normally by the raw and roast it myself in the oven and store in the ref.
apples all colors
oranges
celery
tomatoes if home grown i grow the cherry tomatoes and she loves it (organic please, if you are not sure please wash thoroughly)
all fruits that are in season
and also nuts
me living in georgia we have pecan trees in our yard so when we harvest them i save her enough for the whole year
they also like peppers all sort from mild to hot ( if you give her hot ones don't kiss her right away lol)
but i would cut a little of everything and makes a very colorful pallete and looks very appetizing, but remember if you do take it out after a few hours and just keep doing it until she goes for it. it might take a day to months but don't give up, nuts are always a welcome due to preference from native habitat
bon appetit

#171558 - 07/28/08 05:02 AM Re: Warm food only?? [Re: obie]  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

I do have a seperate dish, and she will wait for chilled veggies and salad and pick a bit but still not eating all that much of them. I still keep the bowl there =) But I swear as some stated here as soon as it cools, she will turn her angelic beak up in the air or shake her head as to say NO, she does this anytime she nibbles something of mine that she does not like..LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny