Who's Online
1 registered (cindi), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#169320 - 07/06/08 06:26 PM behavior of cockatoo " in heat"
blanche james Offline

Our umbrella cockatoo, a female is 20 years old. We have had for her entire life,and she is a great, lovable parrot. She loves both my husband and me, although she prefers him. When he is not around, she loves me, but only wants him if he is within her sight. She has periods of what we think is sexual excitement... when she is with him, she pants. He does not caress her, as she requests him to do by positioning her body near him, during these periods, which occur a few times a year. When she starts to "pant" and shake, he puts her back in her cage. What is the correct way for us to deal with her at these times?

#169324 - 07/06/08 07:10 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: blanche james]
Chewy Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Washington
it sounds like you are doing a good job with her........... putting her back in cage and not responding to the breeding behavior. That is a good response in my eyes. But I haven't had a sexually mature bird yet (except my tiels but they don't count in this thread lol) So I am sure someone else will have more knowledgeable response then Ido. And I will enjoy reading them so that I can learn too.
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels

#169327 - 07/06/08 07:21 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: Chewy]
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Western Canada
It sounds like you're doing everything right with her. The other things you can do to help prevent trouble (and I'm only speaking what I've heard - my bird is a boy) is to remove any nesting material, no body patting, etc... She just thinks your husband is a great handsome cockatoo studmuffin!!

#169329 - 07/06/08 07:39 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: spinnyspoo]
Charlie Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Loc: Covington, LA USA
It sounds very similar to our situation. You have identified the problem and your solution has worked. I suppose she has not laid any eggs? The only difference at our house is we distract that behavior by immediately moving to some other activity or providing a toy or other interesting diversion. You shouldn't use food or treats as that will reward a behavior you are trying to discourage.

Sexual behavior, regurgitation and masturbation are all natural behaviors so we avoid a "time out" and use distraction instead. Continued good luck to you. I'm sure you could teach us all a thing or two with 20 years of experience. smile

#169339 - 07/06/08 09:16 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: Charlie]
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Charlie
Continued good luck to you. I'm sure you could teach us all a thing or two with 20 years of experience. smile

How did you learn what you know about parrots without a leaning post like this website? I KNOW I would not be where I am without these people. I can't imagine having to learn by trial and error. Kudos to you.

#169371 - 07/07/08 10:43 AM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: TiKa's Dad]
Chewy Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Washington
Charlie, what kind of distraction do you use? Just leaving the roojm with him or what?
Zeus-zebra finch
RIP
Eli
little foot Cockatiels

#169392 - 07/07/08 01:50 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: Chewy]
Charlie Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

We usually play a game of "fetch", me fetching, or give her a toy that I think she might like. Practicing tricks or a 10 minute training session is another good distraction. Just move their minds in a different direction.

#169406 - 07/07/08 06:42 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: Charlie]
MsSugarBabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
My 26 year old Cockatoo is ready for love everyday of the year. If i just scratch her head she shkes and clucks like a chicken it is crazy. i dont even have to touch her and she does. but that is the same w/my Amazon to heck i just look at him and he will do it on his cage. (I am thinking in bird eyes I AM HOT)

I just leave them be and stop all contact when they try seems to help for that moment.

Christi

#170857 - 07/23/08 06:08 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: MsSugarBabe]
The Dragon Offline

Loc: Homosassa, FL 34448
Ok, Here is my question, Kindly do not take this oddly.

However, Why on earth would anyone NOT want their bird to mate with them (not from the persons personnel view about that) from the Birds view and the Birds behavioral responses/changes?

Now keep in mind I'm from the 60's (we all think we invented sex :)) been a herpetologist, had a rescue horse ranch, stood stallions and champion dogs at stud for decades. So animals mating and it's affects their behavior is good to question.

My wife has a 9 year old male Moluccan that mates with her almost daily. He's SO much calmer for the next 24-48 hours. When she 1st got him over 2 years ago he was apparently going through the 7 year hormonal rage peek. He ate her alive. Some ware, in between her starting their matting dance and just getting in his face when he gets nippy and learning to put him back on the jungle Jim before it gets grim.... He has become a really nice bird.

We have more birds who are working on the same behavior with me or my wife depending on whom they have chosen to bond to. So when I read these post, everyone seeming to react like it's a bad idea, I would really like to discuss the why?

#170949 - 07/23/08 09:26 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: The Dragon]
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here

For female birds. Promoting that type of behavior can quickly start a chronic egg laying problem. No one wants that.

For male birds. That type of behavior can cause them to become very territorial about their mate. They will use violence to keep others away. They will also bite their "mate" as a sort of warning at the same time.

Mating behavior bird to bird is a different ball game. If you have companion birds that are friends. Their hormone cycles will quickly synchronize. There's no stopping those hormones. They will not miss an opportunity to sneak off and do it the second you turn your back.

Observation, bird to bird: The fact that they are allowed to do what comes naturally. It does fulfill some kind of mental need as well as the physical. Out of season they are just friends. Tikas ferociousness has all but vanished. When it's 2 birds instead of human bird. The cycle is much more natural occurring. The human relationship with bad behavior can keep that bird in a perpetual state of hormones. That is not natural or good.

#170955 - 07/23/08 09:53 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: TiKa's Dad]
Tooville Offline

Mating behavior by both males and female should be discouraged. Believe me you really don't want to be your birds mate. You want to be thier friend!! Change the subject any time the behavior starts and as quickly as possible. Distract with a toy, return the bird to a play gym, go for a walk with the bird, anything. Do not, I repeat, do not encourage it. I have seen the result when a Toos is locked onto a person he or she views as a mate and it ain't pretty. It's only a matter of time until someone will be badly bitten whether it's your spouse, a child or a guest in your home. And it will happen.
Where Toos are #1

#170957 - 07/23/08 10:01 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: Tooville]
Charlie Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

I couldn't agree more. Here is the result of dealing with a mature cockatoo pair. This man has 20 years of large parrot experience. There is no reason to tempt fate!

#170970 - 07/23/08 10:23 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: Charlie]
MsSugarBabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
OmG THAT IS NASTY............NASTY

chris

#170979 - 07/23/08 10:34 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: MsSugarBabe]
Tooville Offline

Good example!! And I've seen worse. That's how they end up in a rescue. A hormonal Too is simply a ticking time bomb. Read em wrong just one time and that's what will happen. Every Too that's come thru our doors has done something similar to thier owner. Or owners, 3 or 4 by the time they get here. M2's and U2's are the worst.
Where Toos are #1

#171007 - 07/23/08 11:28 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: The Dragon]
Birdfriend Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Englewood, NJ
P.S. HA HA!!! I was afraid I might be the only one to respond! While I was writing, you pros jumped in, concise and to the point! What you say above is what I took so long to build to!! Charlie's picture is exactly what I was referring to. Jerry has stories on the main page. There are many more... Dragon, the advice above is some of the best stuff ever posted. Please heed it.
__________________________________________________________________________________
My original post:

Okay. Here are a few of my thoughts on the subject: The problem with letting a bird believe that you are it's mate is that humans make very bad mates for birds. Really horrible, lousy mates for cockatoos. It is deception, pure and simple. You are promising the cockatoo something you are absolutely not going to deliver. Cockatoo mates eat together, preen together, sleep together, scream together, even STRETCH together in beautiful synchronized movements that look like Tai-Chi. It is a beautiful ballet that reminds me of synchronized swimming. It baffles me how the birds can be so in tune to each other. Even Mark Bittner, author of "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill", describes this stretching between mated pairs of the Cherry-Headed Conures he was observing.

Mated Cockatoos would seldom be out of sight of each other in the wild. They would certainly never be out of screaming range unless one was on eggs and the other was foraging. I read a humorous essay "written" by a parrot (a caique, I believe) in which the parrot complained that his human mate was always leaving the house without him! He knew she was foraging, but it just wasn't right! It wasn't proper mate behavior! He admitted that she was a good forager, but she should take him with her. It wasn't right that they should be apart for so long! He was also worried that she was considering "multiple parrots"! We are both from the sixties, Dragon, so we know what he meant wink wink (I apologize for not giving the author of this wonderful essay credit, but I can't think of it at this time).

Okay. For you young 'uns:...think "multiple partners." The "multiple parrot household" this bird feared was viewed as a big free sex commune and parrots are very conservative about this sort of thing. Herein lies your biggest problem, Dragon. Cockatoos are not like dogs or horses when it comes to sex. They have recreational sex to bond with their mates and they are very protective of their family unit. There is going to be a lot of aggressive behavior and stress down the line if these birds try to be proper mates and try to force the humans into their proper roles as mates. It can't be done. You are promising the bird a relationship and then refusing to deliver. No matter what the bird does, you will not be a proper mate. Find a better relationship with the bird than "mate". Let the bird masturbate, but don't be part of it. Ignore it. It is just as natural as the same human behavior. And you don't need a mate to participate.

If you don't believe that this mate-substitute idea may result in aggression, just search this board for the incidents when a "rival" walked into the room and the cockatoo took a piece out of their most beloved human's face or ear. The popular belief is that a bird will try to drive it's mate away from a rival or any danger. Birds will also attack the perceived threat, be it child, another pet, or grandma. Are you prepared to be on the even higher alert necessary to prevent an accident? The fact that he is a MALE M2 makes discouraging aggression all the more important. It is well known that a 'too will even kill it's own mate if things aren't going the way it wants. Hens are less dangerous, as a rule. (He is DNA sexed?). The biggest problem with a hen is that sexual stimulation may bring about a cycle of life threatening egg laying behavior (prolapses, egg binding, etc.).

Another thread today mentions Sally Blanchard's theory that a captive bird should not be in charge of it's life in our living rooms. They make bad decisions. They don't know how to run a human household. Their wild behaviors simply don't work and the bird just gets frustrated trying to force all the humans to behave properly. You must not let the bird take on a role that can't work.

I notice that you have only had this cockatoo for two years. Did you concider that the bird's improved behavior may be because you are
Quote:
learning to put him back on the jungle Jim before it gets grim
and is not a result of the mating behavior at all (or perhaps he is improving in spite of it?). You seem clear that the bird is mating with your wife, not just doing a "mating dance." Dancing and attention are perfectly wonderful. Sexual behavior is dishonest.

Edited by Birdfriend (07/24/08 12:03 AM)

original member #148, 255 total posts

#171013 - 07/23/08 11:43 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: Birdfriend]
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here

Originally Posted By: Birdfriend
Cockatoo mates eat together, preen together, sleep together, scream together, even STRETCH together in beautiful synchronized movements that look like Tai-Chi. It is a beautiful ballet that reminds me of synchronized swimming. It baffles me how the birds can be so in tune to each other.

And not a word is spoken. It's absolutely beautiful.

And they always, always respect each others space. Unless they have a fight!!! :-)

Edited by TiKa's Dad (07/23/08 11:47 PM)

#171068 - 07/24/08 12:30 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: TiKa's Dad]
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here

Loc: WA, USA
Originally Posted By: The Dragon

My wife has a 9 year old male Moluccan that mates with her almost daily. He's SO much calmer for the next 24-48 hours. When she 1st got him over 2 years ago he was apparently going through the 7 year hormonal rage peek. He ate her alive. Some ware, in between her starting their matting dance and just getting in his face when he gets nippy and learning to put him back on the jungle Jim before it gets grim.... He has become a really nice bird.

We have more birds who are working on the same behavior with me or my wife depending on whom they have chosen to bond to. So when I read these post, everyone seeming to react like it's a bad idea, I would really like to discuss the why?

Its mainly ethical and moral. AND that in most cases, the outcome after sex, is aggression. Especially younger birds going through their first hormonal fits.

Bokka usually get tense after he tries to mate with me. He is very very sweet before, singing, googooing.. And I agree.. in our birds eyes, they're thinking "Why wont she mate with me.. what am I doing wrong?".

Hey Im sure, if I was a female Umbie, Bokka would be my mate NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. He is my mate in this world too. But we're best friends, I cannot possibly give him what he wants, nor coul dhe give me what I want. But he does provide, NO DOUBT, th emost love anything could give me. I cant provide him with what he truly wants: Babies. I actually thought it would be interesting for him and I to incubate eggs and to hatch out an umbie baby.. but not happening. LOL.

Birds in the wild only mate if they have a nest site. In Captivity its different. They ae not subjected to weird weathers like their wild family is, they are always in mild environment, same heat, same humdity (usually for both) only 12/12 sleep and awake hours.. its always the same.. so hormones seem to always be here.. well for my Umbie it does. NO MATTER how much sleep he gets, no seed, not too many oily foods, no starchy stuffz.. he snuggles on my bed, which is the only stimulating thing I give him..

If you provide sex for your bird.. and your moral and ethics arent affected. Im not going to down you for it. You do what you do, and it works for your guys. GO AHEAD. But I actually think a 9y.o it much too young!!! he shouldnt be allowed sex until his teens LOL. As a 9y.o is in the beginning of their sex rages. I wouldnt risk it, no offesne.

Bokka tries it on me.. I just calmy divert his attention by gettingup and walking with him, this give him a distraction and he doesnt want to do the "Wild Thing" with me smile

The only thing you have to worry about when putting your bird back into the cage or distracting him/her is when they are truly horrible hormonal, no distraction will work.. and that can lead to sexual frustration and prolapse in both males and females... SO just preventing The Wild thing helps. Divert their attention ASAP dont let it escalate, no rubbing all over helps. Try not to sexually stimulate them helps better smile Prope rdiet, proper amoutn of sleep, REAL daylight through windows and outdoor outings, a lotof mental stimulis, etc etc would help too.

MERCEDEZ

#171082 - 07/24/08 02:29 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: Birdfriend]
The Dragon Offline

Loc: Homosassa, FL 34448

1st of all the replies are very helpful!!! If not inspirational...

We do not have anyone here but the two of us and do do not permit guest near the birds. We simply tell everyone that they bite and that ends that. Why risk it?

Originally Posted By: Birdfriend
You seem clear that the bird is mating with your wife, not just doing a "mating dance."

Now there is a very good question.
Blessed be the inexperienced, for they shall get to learn new things.

He stands on her wrist crown full up, she has other hand across her wrist both resting her lap (she is sitting). He'll move back and forth across her wrist till finds a middle position he likes. He stands very upright. Takes his beak and knocks alternately on her one arm and then the other, not real close to body, more of a reaching appearance. She ocasional has to remind Swinging his tail back and forth on a rhythmic manner. Till he stops the knocking, lifts his head straight up crown fully extended and flicks his head back and forth. And then he's so done, he just goes back to Velcro mode. On rare occasion there is a discharge, I have not checked if it's sperm or just defecation. If it's sperm he could AI and entire flock.

Now is that mating or dancing? Anyone seen them mate/dance?

No he's not DNA sexed. No interest in breading so have not considered doing so. Need I?

Originally Posted By: The Dragon
learning to put him back on the jungle Jim before it gets grim

Oh clearly #1 is learning to read ANY animal!!!

I will say also clearly if my wife did not constantly maintain the ALPHA position she'd be in constant trouble. But comes a point when it's time to put him back on the over sized jungle Jim.

#171092 - 07/24/08 02:47 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: The Dragon]
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Miami
I gatta tell you bro, as a human being I find that a little disturbing...

I say this with the most seriousness I can muster. I dont mean to be rude at all but you may want to go about seeking help. Look for a shrink around your area because this isn't normal..

#171093 - 07/24/08 02:49 PM Re: behavior of cockatoo " in heat" [Re: The Dragon]
Tooville Offline

My guess is that your bird is male. Males will have a dark almost black iris. Females a lighter shade of brown. What you describe is a mating ritual. He definitely views her as his mate. Please do not let this go on for the sake of the bird. The behavior can escalate to violence and an angry M2 is a fearsome foe. Your wife needs to re-establish herself as a friend not mate. Change the subject as soon as it starts, over and over and over until it works. If not something tragic will happen, it's only a matter of time.
Where Toos are #1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny