Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#168554 - 06/29/08 06:12 AM fresh or frozen that is the question  
MsSugarBabe Offline
MsSugarBabe  Offline

Ohio
i keep frozen vegies temper them in water and serve when I have no fresh around is that ok?

I am owned by 1 Goffin, 1 Red Lored Amazon, 3 cats,1 GS dog,2 goats, koi 3 children I own 1 husband
#168556 - 06/29/08 06:21 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: MsSugarBabe]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
I generally keep the frozen, I make up a HUGE batch of food then individualize it into 50-60 little zip locks from there every morning and evening I nuke one and presto the base food. I like to add other goods to vary what they eat but yea thats the base. I don't freeze rice or things that get made up that day.

I freeze carrots peas, corn, cauliflower, and broccoli. From day to day I add fresh stuff. Peppers, rice, banana, beans, cucumber ect..

Abe
#168563 - 06/29/08 07:34 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Ketrel]  
ralphsdad Offline
ralphsdad  Offline

FL
Fresh is always best but if you don't have that then frozen still does a pretty good at retaining nutrients. just dont feed canned food its pretty worthless.

#168569 - 06/29/08 11:37 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: ralphsdad]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
I feed frozen to the little guys mostly with some going to the big ones. I've tried several times just cutting up their food for the small one and he is just stubborn. I feed the frozen to the big guys if I run out before I can get to the market for the fresh foods. I get the veggies that are fresh frozen with nothing added like salt.

Fresh is best. Then fresh frozen. And in a pinch canned. The canned veggies are rinsed well before feeding.

#168570 - 06/29/08 01:51 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Elliott]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I feed a mix of fresh and frozen. I freeze up little bags of rice, beans and frozed veggie mix and then I add fresh veggies mixed in when served. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#168571 - 06/29/08 02:32 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: BE2Cassie]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
I make Bill up a mash out of vegetables, beans, corn, squash and pellet (among other things). I make giant batches every 3 months or so and freeze them in ice cubes. I thaw them, add beans, a sprinkling of seeds whatever and that's dinner.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#168584 - 06/29/08 05:05 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: spinnyspoo]  
MsSugarBabe Offline
MsSugarBabe  Offline

Ohio
everyone is sooo creative. Amazing the love for these animals. you all are great.

i also when i leave put in harrisons no seed and couple pieces of all natural dried fruit for the day they seem to enjoy that too.

Last edited by MsSugarBabe; 06/29/08 05:08 PM.

I am owned by 1 Goffin, 1 Red Lored Amazon, 3 cats,1 GS dog,2 goats, koi 3 children I own 1 husband
#168589 - 06/29/08 05:23 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: MsSugarBabe]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
I've never tried beans. What kind of beans are we talking about?

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#168594 - 06/29/08 05:46 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Pinto right now, because there was a really good deal on 25# bags of dry across the line. We have pinto beans coming out our ears right now. I cook up about 5lbs of them at a time in my pressure cooker (it's a big one) and then freeze them on cookie sheets (like you would berries)and then into freezer bags. This way I can just take out a handful at a time. Kidney beans are the other usual bean.

Dried, they're cheap as dirt. Maybe cheaper. They are an excellent source of protein for humans too. Wanna cut down your grocery bill? Eat beans 3x a week instead of meat or soy products.

In my experience, and my vet feels the same, the Australian cockatoos tend (not always, but tend) to get their 'sweets' from things like beans and peas as opposed to fruits & berries, Bill proves this out as Bill's big treats are beans, peas, cooked carrots (breaking his "no orange food" rule).

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#168689 - 06/30/08 05:22 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: spinnyspoo]  
TaraRose Offline
TaraRose  Offline

Spokane, WA
My goffins loves fresh green beans too..I just break them up in about 1/2 inch peices and he will eat 4 or 5 green beans in one sitting.

Tara and..
Goofy - goffins too
Kiwi - quaker
#168708 - 06/30/08 02:18 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: TaraRose]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cassie gets a variety of beans. I buy them in the bags at the grocery. They're pretty cheap. Pinto, navy, black, kidney etc..
They sell a mix for soup that has lentils and a ton of different types of beans. Cassie likes them firm so I only cook them for a short time. Just until they are a little soft.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#168709 - 06/30/08 03:06 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: BE2Cassie]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Quote:
The canned veggies are rinsed well before feeding

My understanding, and someone correct me if needed, is that to get much of the salt out of canned vegetables they need to be boiled or soaked for a day as the salt water gets into the veggies.

does anyone know different? I don't have anything to back this up, it's just one of those things that I've always "known".

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#168719 - 06/30/08 06:29 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
Thats what I read too spinny.

Abe
#168722 - 06/30/08 06:38 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Ketrel]  
Razzle'sMommy Offline
Razzle'sMommy  Offline

We do not eat many beans in this household until recently, I have been trying them with Razzle as well as my daughter..lOL I bought the soup mix one as well yesterday and have some boiling up for her at the moment. I had never thought to freeze in baggies. Yay.. have you all ever frozen the mashes?

***Treat others how you yourself expect to be treated***
#168737 - 06/30/08 07:59 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Razzle'sMommy]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Alot of folk will take the mash in put it in icecube trays and freeze it that way. Then all you have to do it pop out one serving and warm. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#168743 - 06/30/08 08:25 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
I also read that canned foods should try and be avoided all together.

Abe
#168757 - 06/30/08 09:26 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: TaraRose]  
MocBoy Offline
MocBoy  Offline

SE WI
Originally Posted By: TaraRose
My goffins loves fresh green beans too..I just break them up in about 1/2 inch peices and he will eat 4 or 5 green beans in one sitting.

I sure wish we could get our G2 to eat fresh or frozen veggies as is. She will not eat much of anything unless it is mixed in with her oatmeal and rice and spoon fed while HOT.

#168758 - 06/30/08 09:32 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: MocBoy]  
MsSugarBabe Offline
MsSugarBabe  Offline

Ohio
WOW Mocboy your G2 doesnt sound spoiled at all LOL

My G2 does not eat anything human either only Peas, and well peas. i have been feeding her the medley frozen to just get and idea she is eating the corn now. I put it in her bowl along with a few seeds to make her dig and she ends up eating most of it keep working at it. she is atleast eating pellets not so I get less worried knowing something good is going in her.

C

#168776 - 06/30/08 11:45 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: MsSugarBabe]  
MocBoy Offline
MocBoy  Offline

SE WI
Originally Posted By: MsSugarBabe
WOW Mocboy your G2 doesnt sound spoiled at all LOL

C

Well don't you know it. We don't call her Queen Chloe for no reason. She does get veggies in a way as we get the "just veggies" brand dried stuff and crush those and mix them in. The Oatmeal is oatmeal, brown rice, white rice, soy nut, and three or four other things. The favored item we put in is "just mango". It's not a meal unless it has mango. She also gets supplements, vitamins and such because the dried stuff is not as good as the fresh or frozen. We have checked her diet out with the AV and, with the suppliments the AV is OK with it.

Fresh corn off the cob in the "oatmeal" is highly prized but she won't touch fresh corn any other way otherwise, go figger. About the only thing she will eat without it being in the oatmeal is potato, baked or in potato pancakes. We get takeout Friday night fish from a local bar that specializes in potato pancakes. When those Styrofoam containers come into the house the G2 goes nuts and there is no stopping her until she gets hers. Of course we have to hold it for her.

#168777 - 07/01/08 12:02 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: MocBoy]  
MsSugarBabe Offline
MsSugarBabe  Offline

Ohio
ahhhhh that is great. i love hereing the quirky stories of everyones birds it is just funny thanks for sharing. Those potato pancake sound so goooood

WI? I love the cheese curds yummmy

Christi

#168779 - 07/01/08 12:12 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: MsSugarBabe]  
MocBoy Offline
MocBoy  Offline

SE WI
Originally Posted By: MsSugarBabe
WI? I love the cheese curds yummmy

Christi

So does ChloeG2, but she isn't allowed to have any now that we know she shouldn't have cheese. She still manages to sneak a small nibble of cheese off our sandwiches.

#168783 - 07/01/08 12:43 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: MocBoy]  
MsSugarBabe Offline
MsSugarBabe  Offline

Ohio
plz snd Chloe's cheese here no need to teaz her.

A Real WI Bird there ya go LOl

Last edited by MsSugarBabe; 07/01/08 12:43 AM.

#168834 - 07/01/08 06:22 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: MsSugarBabe]  
ralphsdad Offline
ralphsdad  Offline

FL
Because of all the sodium and the very high temps the veggies go through in the canning process a lot of the nutrients are basically gone by the time you even open the can. Everything I have ever read says to avoid it if possible or give rarely. I just always have a bag of mixed frozen veggies in the freezer just for Ralph. If I run out of veggie/mash cubes and don't have time to make more I can just dump some of the veggies in a bowl after they are defrosted in the microwave or soaked for a minute in water.

#168840 - 07/01/08 08:47 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: MsSugarBabe]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Quote:
have you all ever frozen the mashes?

I do three months at a time. I take out a cube of mash, a handful of beans and a handful of whatever the addition du jour is and heat it up. Just remember that if you're heating in a microwave (not to start the debate again, honest!! crazy) STIR THE MASH WITH YOUR (clean)LITTLE FINGER. It gets hot spots and you will know if it's too hot instead of just poking a finger in it, or feeling it some other way.

I freeze everything three months at a time. I do my beans up in my giant pressure canner (18 minutes & they're done) and freeze those, all my tomato sauce/past is ice cubed, garlic, herbs, soup stock, refried beans (which are just pureed beans with homemade salsa food processed in), sauce starters (roux, herbed butter etc). Luckily I have gotten into the habit of labelling bags. VERY important. Otherwise you have icecubes of all and sundry and have no idea what it is and start playing "dinner roulette".

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#168875 - 07/01/08 05:27 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: TaraRose]  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
I usually cook them the bean/rice/pasta mix. I add frozen carrots, brocoolli, peas, corn, bressle sprouts, green beans and sometimes peppers. I also sometimesmake the bag of beans that has many types of beans in it 9I think its call the 15 bean soup??) and mix that with rice cook it, get it into their bowls then add fresh veggies: chopped carrots, green beans, broccolli, cauliflower, romaine lettuce (yes this in the soup too) and add a mix of the frozen veggies i dont have in fresh, (they unthaw as the beans and rice are still hot. refrigerate it for a day and reuse that, and then start a new. They get something new every day just about.

And if I ran out of this, they get Harrisons (as always) but with dried vulkamn fruit/nut mix in their food and nuts in their foraging toys (as always).

Mercedez

#168887 - 07/01/08 07:20 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Lanie Offline
Lanie  Offline

So. California
Spinny,

I found some organic NO SALT canned pinto beans at the natural food's store. I bought them for me, but ended up giving some to Sammy (or I should say, he stole em off my plate). I rinsed them before I heated them up because the liquid they're in just looks kinda gross to me. I wouldn't usually give him canned beans, but I think these might actually be okay. He likes black beans too. I cook the dried ones with an orange cut in half (peeling and all) and some mild green chilis. Again, these were for me, but he goes crazy for them.

Owned by Sammy the "Super Goffin"
#168891 - 07/01/08 07:47 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Lanie]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Those organic canned beans sound gross but that black bean recipe sounds great (to me)! Thanks for the tip! cool

#168897 - 07/01/08 08:14 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Charlie]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
I've gotten the canned organic beans for Cassie. I keep them in the cupboard in case I run out. They are pretty gross when you take them out of the can but they rinse off well. Cassie doesn't seem to mind them. She may even eat them better than the others.
Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#168907 - 07/01/08 10:06 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Charlie]  
Lanie Offline
Lanie  Offline

So. California
Same as Nancy, I keep a couple of cans of the organic no salt beans around in case I run out. I use them in recipes with other stuff in it, so they aren't as gross as they are coming out of the can (yuck). Try the black bean recipe, Charlie, you'll like it smile It's a recipe from a Cuban cookbook.

Owned by Sammy the "Super Goffin"
#168908 - 07/01/08 10:22 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Lanie]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
(the gross liquid is usually starch & colour from the skins - rinsing them reduces ... ahem... "musicality")

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#170488 - 07/21/08 04:10 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: MsSugarBabe]  
obie Offline
obie  Offline

ga
remember birds are just like kids, you just have to keep trying and be creative, most of the time just put just a few pieces in with their food and sometime they will go for it and sometimes they won't, but i would never try to give my m2 any more red beets, she took it out of her dish bowl and slung it everywhere, i still have stain on the wall where she use it as a target practice LOL. but all other fruits and veggies i offer to her all the time. in the wild they are meant to eat fruits and nuts try some mixed nuts as well when in season, my m2 loves em.

#170544 - 07/21/08 10:28 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: obie]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
I'm not sure if I've replied in this thread. But, I'm pretty sure frozen is more nutritous than fresh. If not more, then they are tired. So either one works.

HOWEVER, frozen, it has to be right away, not when it's a week after you've bought. That's why "they" say frozen is better.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#170557 - 07/22/08 12:14 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: sandiego]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
Fresh is more nutritious than frozen without a doubt. However, sitting in a grocery store for weeks on end can hardly be called 'fresh'. It is really easy to grow greens and peas on pots in windowsills and porches. You can do it in an apartment. And it's cheap, cheap, cheap.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#170559 - 07/22/08 12:53 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: spinnyspoo]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=154807 We are both correct. It all depends on "how long".

How do you grow greens and peas? Do you know how? I'd lovvvveee to!!!!!

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#170601 - 07/22/08 03:44 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: sandiego]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
I live for ice cream buckets. I buy them for 38c usd across the line from the dairy. Any bucket will do for peas as they really aren't deep rooted.

Fill up a bucket with dirt. If you don't have some available you can buy it. Don't get the stuff for flower gardens, or window boxes or hanging baskets - you're not growing flowers. You're growing a vegetable garden.

Buy your pea seeds and pop them into the freezer. Leave them for 24 hours, then plant them according to instructions (an inch down is normal) and a couple inches apart. In a bucket, this means a stake in the middle and two rings of peas. You could do singles in a coffee can.

Keep it moist (but not drowning) until it sprouts. Punch holes before you start, at the bottom of the bucket/can for drainage.

Greens - way too easy. A bit of dirt in a bucket/can/pot.... plant the seeds, keep them moist - you will have greens most of the year. If you have an avian light for the birds, the plants will love it.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
#170769 - 07/23/08 04:55 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: spinnyspoo]  
KokomoG2 Offline
KokomoG2  Offline

What kind of peppers can you feed 2's. Are there any you shouldn't ...and why don' they get heartburn? LOL I do.

The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?"
#170782 - 07/23/08 08:40 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: KokomoG2]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
Well, I know the taste of peppers doesn't bother them because they have less taste buds. They can eat a jalapeno and be content. I like to put a jalapeno on a skewer in Kahlua's cage. He usually just bites through it somewhat and he's done with it until I put a new one in. Try it!!

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#170789 - 07/23/08 02:29 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: sandiego]  
Jappas New Mom Offline
Jappas New Mom  Offline

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wow, your birds are amazing. Jappa won't touch fresh veggies anymore....she used to love celery and carrots, but now she won't go near them. She still loves corn, so I try to save some extras when we're having some for dinner.

I do the big batch of mash too: brown rice, carrots, peas, corn, broccoli. I steam all the fresh veggies then throw them in the food processor and mix with the rice

#170806 - 07/23/08 05:40 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Jappas New Mom]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
Jappa - do you try eating it with him? I know Kahlua will not TOUCH carrots or most green things unless I am eating them with him. I get those bags that you steam entirely in the microwave, and dump in a bowl and eat it not looking at Kahlua and he DIVES in!!! He takes huge bites out of everything and makes the hugest mess you'd ever seen. In his food bowl, he doesn't touch it. Also won't touch most cold veggies. Too hard, since they can't chew.

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#170811 - 07/23/08 05:50 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: sandiego]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
Chewy gets sarano bell and jalapeno peppers every couple of days. She got a sarano pepper today smile

Abe
#170832 - 07/23/08 09:11 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Ketrel]  
Jappas New Mom Offline
Jappas New Mom  Offline

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
sandiego:

Yup, quite often I'll be at the kitchen table with her on her perch or she's on the table too. I'll be eating them and then offer her a bite...no go. I did leave a bit of carrot in her food bowl on her perch and she didn't touch it until later on, when I wasn't looking! I try a lot of things with her. Most of the time she's very hesitant to take things from my hand....she always tries to take things from my mouth, which is NOT aloud. She has a facinating thing with bubble gum?!?! I blow bubbles for her to watch (not touch though).

I'm alright with her being picky at the moment. She gets the mash every night, so I know she's getting some veggies. She loves her pellets and eats them throughout the day.

My avian vet told me to have 80% pellet diet and 20% other. Has anyone else's vet told them different?

#170848 - 07/23/08 11:16 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Jappas New Mom]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
Yea my vet told me 25% pellets 75% other. I just let them pick and offer pellets through the day.

Last edited by Ketrel; 07/23/08 11:17 PM.

Abe
#170926 - 07/24/08 02:31 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: MsSugarBabe]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Not to panic anyone but if you have a bird or person that has thyroid problems steaming veggies that have Goitrogens will help to inactivate the goitrogenic compounds.
Quote:
Safety - Broccoli contains goitrogens that can interfere with the functioning of the thyroid gland. Cooking helps to inactivate the goitrogenic compounds. People with existing thyroid problems should avoid eating raw broccoli and any other cabbage-family vegetables for this reason.

http://www.goodwithchildren.com/food/broccoli.aspx
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47

Last edited by rockinseattle; 07/24/08 02:32 AM.
#170996 - 07/24/08 04:59 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Ketrel]  
KokomoG2 Offline
KokomoG2  Offline

wow peppers.....who'd of thunk it? I will have to try it.

The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?"
#171002 - 07/24/08 05:06 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: KokomoG2]  
Jappas New Mom Offline
Jappas New Mom  Offline

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wow, that's a CRAZY difference in recommendations for % of pellets/food!!!

#171004 - 07/24/08 05:19 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Jappas New Mom]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
75% to 80% is not that different. If you use a high quality pellet like Harrisons they can live on them 100% and be perfectly healthy. If your a great bird cook and can supply all the right goodies in their food. They need very few pellets.

If you weigh your bird on a regular basis you will know if they are eating enough.

Last edited by TiKa's Dad; 07/24/08 05:24 AM.

John
#171010 - 07/24/08 05:33 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
Oh John - if you read the percentages were opposite!

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#171014 - 07/24/08 05:50 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: sandiego]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Oh goodness. My boo boo. My statement still stands.

John
#171015 - 07/24/08 05:51 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
ralphsdad Offline
ralphsdad  Offline

FL
Originally Posted By: TiKa's Dad
If you use a high quality pellet like Harrisons they can live on them 100% and be perfectly healthy.

That is highly debatable since there isnt enough research to know fully what these guys need. It just really makes me cringe when i see "this a 100% complete parrot diet." The manufacturers will say the bird can live on 100% their pellets (or mix of whatever) because then you will need to buy more which makes them money. Pellets haven't been around long enough for us to know just how good they are. Yes pellets are good but they shouldn't be the only thing eaten. Feeding your birds a wide variety of foods (including pellets) is the best way to hedge your bet that they will get everything they need. Think about what a pellet is in the most basic sense. Its a vitamin enriched seed, grain, and sometimes veggie mix thats been ground up and plopped into a shape. Is it good for them...yes does it contain everything they need for physically AND mentally to stay healthy... probably not.

With that being said Ralph does get mostly pellets (probably 75-80%) but i also try add in lots of extras. Today besides pellets she had 2 almonds and an ice cube size serving of a mash made from sweet potato, rice, corn, carrot, green bean, thai chile, and rasberry. Yesterday she just had pellets and some of the rice and veggie mix i had for dinner. The day before she just had pellets and small bit of seed. I think variety is really important. With a diet more or less like this ralph has remained at 428g plus or minus 2 grams for nearly the last 3 years.

#171016 - 07/24/08 06:04 AM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: ralphsdad]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
I don't recommend 100% pellets either. Harrison's is the only pellet I would consider worthy enough if there was no other choice. I offer pellets all the time. I feed cooked food twice a day. I feed them to make sure they eat the good stuff. They still go through a lot of pellets. When they are "in season" their appetite drops. They don't have food on the mind :-)

John
#171073 - 07/24/08 07:51 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
Rukesmom Offline
Lives Here
Rukesmom  Offline
Lives Here

Maine
Not only nutritionally but variety is the spice of life so just pellets everyday would be quite the bore, don't you think?!

Flock is Nina (U2), Tootsie (U2), Baby (LSC), Ruke (TAG),& Birdie (T2),
#171113 - 07/24/08 10:12 PM Re: fresh or frozen that is the question [Re: Rukesmom]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Yes, I hate PP&J sandwiches everyday too.

John
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny