Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Topic Options
#165693 - 05/27/08 07:17 PM Discolored feathers around nares
TaraRose Offline

Loc: Spokane, WA
Last saturday when we all woke up I noticed that the feathers around Goofys (goffins) nose were matted with a clear, watery discharge and he was sneezing more than usual. When I got home from work saturday at around 3PM his nose was completely dry and he was totally back to normal. I called my AV anyway and he called me back monday and recommended that I start a course of amoxicillan so I figured it couldn't hurt so I did. Well the antibiotics gave him a raging case of diarrhea so I stopped them and started some benebac. It took about 48 hours for his poops to get back to normal but they are back to normal now. However I have not restarted the antibiotics because I have not noticed any more d/c from his nose or any other signs that he is not feeling well.

However today I am noticing that the feathers around his nostrils have kind of a brown tint to them. They are not wet or crusty, just brown. And the left one is darker than the right one. Anyone know what to make of this? He is not sneezing or coughing and is not lethargic at all. In fact he was been way MORE active/vocal that usual lately and for some reason he has hardly been plucking at all the last few days *knock on wood*

#165694 - 05/27/08 07:24 PM Re: Discolored feathers around nares [Re: TaraRose]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Loc: Florida, USA
Brown? A tinge of dried blood perhaps? My advice is to have him seen by your AV. Good luck and let us know.

ETA: I should have mentioned I'm thinking sinusitis. If his nasal passages are raw there could be a hint of blood in the discharge (or when he sneezes).

ETA x 2 - Sorry. It's also not advisable to begin antibiotic treatment and then stop it w/out going the full course of treatment. Perhaps there is another antibiotic your vet can switch him to that won't bother his stomach so much.

Edited by EchosMom (05/27/08 07:48 PM)

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Project Perry, Inc., The Central Virginia Parrot Sanctuary
Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

#165696 - 05/27/08 08:20 PM Re: Discolored feathers around nares [Re: EchosMom]
TaraRose Offline

I also should have mentioned that he was just at the AV about 3 weeks ago and had a full exam plus a full blood panel and the vet gave him a clean bill of health. Ok, not totally clean..his kidneys are having issues but that's a whole different show. Anyway his repiratory system was healthy and CBC was normal. I have not actually noticed any discharge from his nostrils since saturday morning and then it was clear and watery and apparently only lasted for a few hours.

I do know it is not advisable to stop antibiotics without finishing as well. However considering that he has not had any symptoms whatsoever save saturday morning coupled with the GI upset from the antibiotics and how hard he is to medicate I figured the risks were starting to outweigh the benefits.

BTW thank you for your input. I hope I do not come off as argumentative or unappreciative. Our AV is a bit of a drive and he is just now, 3 weeks after the visit, starting to let me touch him again. That trip to the vet really threw a monkey wrench in this whole 'trusting relationship' that we have been working on for the last year. SO..needless to say he does not travel well at all and taking him to vet is a nightmare (for both the bird AND the vet), however I will not hesitate if he really needs to be seen...

#165699 - 05/27/08 09:11 PM Re: Discolored feathers around nares [Re: TaraRose]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Loc: Florida, USA
You didn't come off as argumentative or unappreciative - I know you want what's best for Goofy. Remember, an infection today may not have shown up on exam, or in blood work 3 weeks ago, so please don't dismiss the possibility.

I understand that Goofy has trust issues and trips to the vet upset that...I had the same problem with my newly adopted G2 a couple of years ago. But their health has to come first. I hope that I'm not coming across as argumentative either, because I surely don't mean it that way. At least give his AV another call. smile

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Project Perry, Inc., The Central Virginia Parrot Sanctuary
Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

#165700 - 05/27/08 09:25 PM Re: Discolored feathers around nares [Re: EchosMom]
jenscritters Offline

Loc: Texas
Is his water clear, or is he making bird soup? Sometimes my birds get water in their nose, then sneeze. It's possible that Goofy sneezed a little bird soup. I don't think you should write it off as nothing, but perhaps keep an eye on the water if it happens again.

#165704 - 05/27/08 09:38 PM Re: Discolored feathers around nares [Re: jenscritters]
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Maryland, USA
Brewster's feathers around his beak get a little discolored occasionally....probably from "bird soup"! I agree that you should just keep an eye on it (& look for any other "symptoms").

#165709 - 05/27/08 09:50 PM Re: Discolored feathers around nares [Re: Bird Mom]
TaraRose Offline

Yes, he does make birdy soup out of his water. He hasn't been too bad about it lately but he's usually always got a pellet or two in his water. Also since I have stopped the Pluck No More I have started using ACV in his water again (1/4-1/2 tsp per 24 ounces, he loves the taste)..I wonder if that could have discolored the feathers a little?

I will keep an eye on him. Thank you again everyone for you input..

#165724 - 05/28/08 05:10 AM Re: Discolored feathers around nares [Re: TaraRose]
BE2Cassie Offline

Chained to the Computer

Loc: Wrentham, MA
Tara this past winter Cassie got sinusitus. She started showing symptoms of runny eye for one morning and picking her nare both on the right side. The runny eye only lasted for a couple of hours and then seemed to clear up. Initially I thought maybe she had gotten something in her eye. Within a day or so Cassie began to occcassionaly shake her head and had a slight discoloration around the nares. I brought her to the vet and found out she had an infection. At the time she looked fine, acted fine and was eating great. They did a swab inside her mouth to test for the infection. She also hates the vet and becomes extremely upset when we get there. Nancy

#165797 - 05/28/08 11:41 PM Re: Discolored feathers around nares [Re: BE2Cassie]
TaraRose Offline

Well the discoloration seems significantly lighter today and he is still not showing any other signs of illness. I will continue to keep an eye on him. Thank you everyone again for your input smile

#165801 - 05/29/08 12:49 AM Re: Discolored feathers around nares [Re: TaraRose]
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here

Loc: Miami
Since it seems to be a sign of sinusitus wouldn't it be wise to take her to the vet, if only to be sure?

Moderator:  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny