Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#165601 - 05/26/08 08:14 AM toHi I'm new...  
Jacob Offline
Jacob  Offline

I have decided to adopt a goffin named Angel. I would like to know more than just facts about this type. I want personal opinions. She is 1 1/2 yrs. and is very nippy, I want to know how I should work on that. She's gereally quite so far. Is it ok to put her near my face?

#165602 - 05/26/08 09:02 AM Re: toHi I'm new... [Re: Jacob]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
This website does not condone allowing your bird on your shoulder or around your head.

We have a very useful search function that will allow you to get the information you are looking for. Welcome

Abe
#165604 - 05/26/08 10:25 AM Re: toHi I'm new... [Re: Ketrel]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Welcome Jacob. Your best not to let a bird anywhere near your face especially when they are nippy. Although a G2 has a smaller beak they can still give a big bite causing damage. Is she actually biting or beaking? Alot of birds will grab hold of your finger/arm when stepping up. This is for stability and rarely will end up as a bite. Goffins are the Houdini of the too world. They can escape from just about any cage, right down to dismantling it bolt by bolt! Personality wise most toos are very similiar. You may want to do a search on hormonal behavior, diet, activities. The smaller toos become hormonal at a much younger age. My bare-eyed too became hormonal for the first time at a one and a half. We're just coming out of hormone season but you may see it in the fall. Have you had toos before? Do you know her background and how she was treated, ate etc. before you got her? If you are able to give additional info folks will be able to help you better. Will she come out of her cage for you, when is she being nippy and how, is she eating, what is she eating, has she been to a certified avian vet for a health check, is she playing with toys, is she vocalizing how and when? Lots of questions but it will really help to know to be able to help you. Change is very difficult for a too they will grieve for lost family, will go through a honeymoon period intially, can be fearful of the new situation refusing to come out of they're cage, be aggressive when in their cage. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#165625 - 05/27/08 01:15 AM Re: toHi I'm new... [Re: BE2Cassie]  
ChickenBaby Offline
ChickenBaby  Offline

Sunshine State
I agree, don't put her close to your face at all. Especially while you are still getting to know eachother. I made this mistake with my new GSC2 and ended up with a hole clean through the top of my ear. I think I will have a permanent scar.
I personally had this vision of a very happy bird happily riding on my shoulder everywhere I went. I though we would cuddle and watch TV together without a care in the world. I was wrong! You have to be aware and observe their body language at all times. You will get great advice here.

#165640 - 05/27/08 03:39 AM Re: toHi I'm new... [Re: ChickenBaby]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Hi Jacob, did you read the home page at www.mytoos.com

If you did and still want a too, great. If not please visit the page and read. Do not make any decision until you have thought about everything involved.......... completely.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny