Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 43 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#171351 - 07/26/08 08:49 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: TiKa's Dad]  
alexz Offline
alexz  Offline

Southern California
Out of curiousity, did the hy get loaded onto that truck, or were special arrangements made for transport? Anyone know?

#171352 - 07/26/08 08:58 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: alexz]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
According to this witness, they were loaded onto a regular tractor trailer. That should be abuse right there. I wish their "keepers" were with them in that truck. If this is true, it is the cruelest irony!

Quote:
This morning, I woke up. I took my dogs out. Fed the birds. Ate breakfast. Got in the car. Drove an hour and thirty minutes. I felt a heaviness in my soul. The best I can describe is the combination of numbness and pain that comes when you are on your way to a funeral. Your thoughts and emotions blur, and you just feel empty. That awful feeling persisted as I arrived at Project Perry. I watched as 31 macaws were handled with loving, gentle hands. I watched as animal control officers brought a seemingly endless number of carriers into Project Perry, and these great creatures who have learned how to trust people in the last two months surrendered themselves to being crated. Only a few really protested, only a few panicked...most just had a quiet trust and dignity about them, that made the situation that was unfolding even more heart breaking. The trip to the shelter to protest seemed quick. As a concerned citizen, I wanted to call attention to the injustice that had taken place. I prepared myself to be emotionless as I stood there. Instead the other protesters and I quietly made conversation..if this had happened to dogs, people WOULD care. Imagine 31 dogs were taken from small cages in which they were intended to breed, with excrement crusted about them, rotting food, abandoned in a field, exposed to the elements. The media would have been flooded with the images of the puppy mill. Instead only 2 news media sources covered the story. Had the world been watching, they would have felt a victory when they saw the improvement in the 31 macaws’ lives as Project Perry took in these birds and contacted volunteers to foster them. Lovingly and patiently these birds began to have their health restored with nearly $20,000 in vet care, fresh wholesome foods, clean water, and human attention. Rescued. Rehabilitated. And then this is where people should be throwing a fit; the courts rule the birds should be RETURNED. Returned to their abusers, after an 18 month stint in a breeding facility! Where it seems like there will be far too many birds to insure that these birds, some in still fragile health, will get the care they deserve. Fighting to remain calm on the surface, I held my sign. It said “RESCUED, REHABBED, RETURNED”. I raised it up as a rental moving truck approached, and I watched the defendants who had been charged with animal cruelty pull down the long gravel driveway to collect the birds like property. My heart sank even further as the reality struck me, these birds would have a 13 hour long trip to Florida in the back of a metal moving truck. The sun was hot, I was sweating, others in our group were complaining of sunburn...I was afraid the truck would turn into an oven....we did what we could, spoke to animal control...no one had the authority to insure the healthful transport of the birds. Where is the accountability? Why is it acceptable to move these birds like they are furniture? I wonder about the people involved in the courts’ decision making, I wonder about the defendants, and I wonder about the Gabriel Foundation. How many of them profess themselves as animal lovers, as kind or caring people? Where along the way did they got lost? When did they bury their sense of right and wrong? How do they justify cruelty and neglect? When did worshiping money replace their human thoughts and emotions? I really, truly hope for these people that someday they will see the truth and understand what they have done.

http://www.mydailyprogress.com/index.php/forums/charlottesville/viewthread/4/

EDT: The Gabriel Foundation website has been inaccessible all morning. I wonder what will be on the front page when it reopens?

Last edited by Charlie; 07/26/08 09:03 PM.
#171354 - 07/26/08 09:06 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Charlie]  
alexz Offline
alexz  Offline

Southern California
then Julie Murad and TGF are accountable for the abuse since the birds are released to TGF control and custody.

I'd say it's probably time for an anti-TGF campaign.

#171358 - 07/26/08 09:14 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: alexz]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Well, if they were loaded onto a standard metal truck body for a trip from Virginia to Florida in the dead of Summer, that would probably qualify as animal abuse. Yes, I suppose TGF is in charge of the operation. mad

#171359 - 07/26/08 09:59 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Alex, I replied to your question on FTB also, but for the benefit of the readers here. They were all loaded together on the box truck w/out food or water. So either they did w/out the long trip to Florida, or a stop was made once they left the shelter. We don't know.

ETA: The Crosswhite's were instructed by Officer Dahl that they were required to contact the local animal shelter as soon as they arrived at the facility in Florida. We've been trying to confirm all day if they arrived safely, w/out success.

Last edited by EchosMom; 07/26/08 10:03 PM.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#171360 - 07/26/08 10:05 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
alexz Offline
alexz  Offline

Southern California
We'll never be privvy to the final outcome at any rate. As soon as I saw the hyacinth--it answered the question as to how and WHY TGF got involved. I'd lay odds that at some point (whether now or in the future) that hy will be julie's property.

#171365 - 07/26/08 10:53 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Charlie
EDT: The Gabriel Foundation website has been inaccessible all morning. I wonder what will be on the front page when it reopens?

The site is still down...perhaps the "Contact Us" was getting flooded? For anyone that may have planned to send an email but can't because they don't have the addy, it's

jools@thegabrielfoundation.org

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#171368 - 07/26/08 11:28 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
Garnet Offline
Garnet  Offline

Edmonton
Holy $#%@. Those poor birds! How could they transport them like that? It's muggy and hot and it can get worse in a metal trailer. The LEAST they could do is transport them properly. Why couldn't TGF send funds for a few big vans to be borrowed or rented for the trip so there could be air conditioning when needed?

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that these birds are going back to their first owners. This is crap. Who lets that much fecal material build up in their birds' cage? I know they had financial trouble but it costs nothing to clean a cage and if they cannot afford proper care, they shouldn't have thirty one macaws! Their water looks disgusting too (and it's no cost to change water!). Plus, they've got nest boxes, which I think explains why they chose to neglect the birds rather than rehome them.

Did "Project Perry" pay for the birds' medical care? Thirty-one birds needing that much vet care indicates serious neglect to me.

Naturally certain people in the breeding community are defending the macaws' owners.

#171369 - 07/26/08 11:40 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Garnet]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Garnet, the medical care the birds received was provided by the Orange County shelter's appointed vet, Dr. Hillary Cook, and the Commonwealth was billed for her services. Part of the written agreement between the Commonwealth and the Crosswhite's is that defendants must repay the Commonwealth nearly $20,000 in veterinary services provided by Dr. Cook. You can view the agreement at www.madmacaws.net.

Last edited by EchosMom; 07/26/08 11:42 PM.

#171370 - 07/26/08 11:48 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
EM, was Dr. Cook, or any other vet in attendance when those birds were loaded into that truck? It would be interesting to see what a professional has to say about that. I do know vets, however, that would probably find that perfectly acceptable! They have to make a living too, if you know what I mean.

#171372 - 07/26/08 11:51 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Charlie]  
Garnet Offline
Garnet  Offline

Edmonton
Thanks Echosmom.

Edit: I guess it was the Crosswhites who transported the birds to Flordia, so that's why they're in a hot trailer. They were allowed to have the birds just to take them to the Florida breeding facility.

Last edited by Garnet; 07/27/08 12:08 AM.
#171381 - 07/27/08 01:07 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Garnet]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I just received this email from TGF:

Quote:
Everyone who has expressed an interest and concern about the 31 VA macaws will be relieved to know that ALL of the macaws safely arrived in FL today. They arrived mid-morning and their brand new aviaries awaited them. They had food still remaining in the crates in their food dishes and the crates were only moderately soiled with fresh droppings upon arrival. According to the veterinarian and TGF team on site, the birds appeared to make the transition without incident. Each of the pairs were set up together so that friends could remain with friends.

Our team in FL was on hand to meet the birds, photo their arrival, and upon transferring them from crates to aviaries, each bird's oral cavity was swabbed for additional c&s testing. Dr. Hillary Cook had faxed us copies of the birds' recent lab test results that were provided to our veterinarian in FL. We are awaiting additional information concerning these birds to add further insight about their present state of health.

These birds are now settled in and appear to be acclimatizing to their new surroundings. Many of the birds were observed to be preening each other and grooming themselves after the journey. Their appetites appear good, and our veterinarian said that even those birds with scissor-beaks appeared to be able to eat well. Files are in the process of being assembled from paperwork sent to us from various veterinarians and other sources about each of the birds to create as accurate a medical and social history as possible. Once our veterinarian has had the opportunity to thoroughly review all records, have additional onsite observation time with the flock, and evaluate their activity level, she will determine what additional testing or treatments are necessary immediately and for the long run. We have scheduled an enrichment day for them this coming week to add pandanas nuts, fresh palm branches, FL pine branches and wild sea grape browse to their aviaries. We are working with several folks to provide foraging materials for this flock so that their days will continue to be rich and full as they have been for the past several weeks.

We'll be providing updates on our website about this flock since so many of you contacted TGF to wish the birds a better future. From the hundreds and hundreds of emails we've received it seems that this particular flock has generated many emotions and we want to thank you all for the many positive comments, passing on their stories to your friends and your well wishes for the flock's continued improvement.

From the Virginia macaw flock: Pretty-bird & Lisa, PB Jr and LisaLisa, William & Janet, Manuel & Natasha, Thunder & Attitude-child, Buddy & Blue, Sam & Sunshine, Mannie, Nattie, Shem & Rocky, Charley & PicoSwerto, Rainbow, Buddy, Max and Polly, Patrick & Charlene, Beegee, Boogie, and Bodie, and the Twins.

All of us at Project Perry are relieved to hear that the birds arrived safely and are asking for those pictures taken today (as per the email) to be provided, as promised.

ETA: This appears to be a mass-email that was sent out by TGF to everyone that sent them an email concerning their involvement - positive or negative.

The big picture remains unchanged, but we are all concerned about the birds and at least we know they survived the trip.

#171396 - 07/27/08 04:12 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
alexz Offline
alexz  Offline

Southern California
I got the same email; but I did email Julie earlier expressing my disgust of the entire matter.

#174041 - 08/17/08 12:13 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: alexz]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I'd like to hear someone other than TGF verify they ALL arrived alive because I highly doubt being transported in an OVEN that they all lived. What a bunch of idiots! I'm so PISSED!!!!

Donna
Free as a bird???
#174043 - 08/17/08 12:35 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Donnalee]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
It just so happens that I live in FL so I called TGF and asked if I would please be allowed a brief visit to see the macaws and meet their new caretakers. No grand tours - I'm not interested in seeing the breeding operation. A few days later I received an email from Julie Murad inviting me to the CO center, but denying my visit to Florida. I was instructed to contact them again in 3 months. 3 months?!?!?!

I didn't wait the 3 months to write back though. I made another appeal and told Julie Murad that nothing would make me happier than to visit, and report to the avian community that the birds are settled, well-cared and progressing. That was a week ago....no response.

#174055 - 08/17/08 02:19 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Sorry Charlie, I just saw your question. To my knowledge no vets were in attendance when the birds were transferred from OC to the Crosswhite's. Dr. Cook examined each bird at the sanctuary before they were loaded by Animal Control, who transported them back to the shelter.

I do know that concerns were expressed by witnesses on the scene at the shelter, but AC officials allowed the transport vehicle because it conformed to local statutes. So once again...the laws failed these birds.

#174512 - 08/19/08 05:55 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
katy girl Offline
Lives Here
katy girl  Offline
Lives Here

Katy, Texas
EchosMom, I have read all of this and I can't believe what I am reading. I am confused though, did the Gabrial Foundation have anything to do with this? Is Julie Murad a part of the Gabiral Foundation or did she just work with them at one time?

#174528 - 08/19/08 06:21 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: katy girl]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
If you read the madmacaws site (the link is in my signature) you'll see how TGF was involved. Julie Murad is the Founder and President of TGF.

#174543 - 08/19/08 07:19 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

I along with others have emailed TGF for more info about the 31 macaws but TGF doesn't seem to be returning emails.

Hmmm. What do you suppose they are hiding now?

One would think that TGF would want to show pictures of the macaws safe and happy and not avoid the issue because by doing so it only makes them look worse.

#174553 - 08/19/08 07:40 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: rockinseattle]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I e-mailed from Mytoos as well. No response. They just want this to die a quick death I am sure. I hope it does not!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny