Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RB2sMom), 41 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#170682 - 07/22/08 05:07 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: spinnyspoo]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
For those of you unfamiliar with TGF's mission/purpose statement, it includes the following:

Quote:
The Gabriel Foundation is pleased to support responsible and ethical breeders who implement the very best standards of care for the needs of the psittacine and parrot-like birds raised and housed in their aviaries.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#170683 - 07/22/08 05:23 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
Right and those birds look like they were treated with dignity and respect with 8 inches of poop under them and $20, 000 worth of vet bills.

"responsible and ethical breeders" Now isn't that an oxymoron?

I remember when the guy who used to be the Director of World Parrot Trust Canada told me that "there is no such thing as rescue, just a bunch of women with nothing better to do". And of course, this guy is a breeder and now runs an aviary in Niagara Falls.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#170686 - 07/22/08 05:29 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
It seems that statement might be conflicting with the information supplied for 501c3 status. Having never filed those kinds of paper, I don't know but it would be interesting to hear, in a legal sense, how someone that contributes to the overpopulation of parrots can be awarded tax advantages for SAVING them.

#170695 - 07/22/08 07:23 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Charlie]  
flowerchild Offline
Lives Here
flowerchild  Offline
Lives Here

New England
ethical responsible breeder is an oxymoron. i know, i used to be one. only tiels, and with the best of care and intentions- but even the little guys, which i still consider to be an ideal pet for anyone responsible enough to own pets. the problem is those people are so few and far between that i had to stop. the only ethical breeder is an ex-breeder. i'm praying for all involved in this nightmare. apparently 'american justice' is also an oxymoron.

#170699 - 07/22/08 07:43 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: flowerchild]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
This information about TGF is disgusting!! mad I should have read all of their mission statement BEFORE I donated my money!
I tried to post a response, but my membership is not activated? I will try later. This really pisses me off! mad
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#170701 - 07/22/08 07:54 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: flowerchild]  
Garnet Offline
Garnet  Offline

Edmonton
This is horrible. I cannot believe that the birds will be allowed to go back to their original owners. I cannot see how they aren't being charged with animal cruelty.

No one "needs" to own parrots and it should be considered a privilege to have them. If you will not care for them properly, you don't deserve to have them. Birds need some protection against abuse and neglect.

It also seems that the "avicultural rights" fanatics (people who figure that folks should be able to treat birds however they want) are raising money to defend these birds' owners. Apparently, the macaws owners couldn't afford to take care of them. Well, I couldn't afford 31 macaws either, and that's why I don't have 31 macaws! I'd rehome animals before I'd just abandon them to live in rusted shut cages in their own crap.

I saw the pictures of them at the Virginia sanctuary. How sad it must be for the people there to know that these poor birds are going to go back to living in cages without trees, and room to fly and climb. The breeder who's taking them has over 1000 birds. She breeds cockatoos as well...and like I say, we all know the fate of the average hand-fed cockatoo. How can anyone breed them knowing how many end up going mad?

Last edited by Garnet; 07/22/08 07:58 PM.
#170707 - 07/22/08 10:02 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Garnet]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Some of you may have already seen the two separate statements made by TGF concerning the "facts" and "misinformation" about their involvement in this case.

The first link is the "revised" version which is a "click here" link on their homepage under their "News & Events" section located on their homepage.

http://www.thegabrielfoundation.org/documents/vabirdsfinal.pdf

Now, read the the original statement that TGF released and circulated. This document still sits on their site, but is no longer linked on their homepage.

http://www.thegabrielfoundation.org/documents/31macawsinva.pdf

Read carefully. You will see a wide variety of "facts" changing from one "release" to the other. We all know that "facts" don't change. Based on the "facts" presented in their first announcement, it seems clear that TGF knew very little about the true facts of this case before getting involved. Perhaps their source of information, was unreliable - whoever the "individual" was that contacted them on behalf of the owners? Who knows?!?

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#170712 - 07/22/08 10:51 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
Mona Offline
Lives Here
Mona  Offline
Lives Here

What the Gabriel Foundation has done is DISGUSTING. I hope word gets out to everyone who has ever donated money to them, thinking they were ANTI breeding, finds out, and the money stops coming in to help them support breeding.

This just makes me sick.

#170755 - 07/23/08 04:12 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: spinnyspoo]  
bellesmom Offline
Lives Here
Happy Birthday bellesmom  Offline
Lives Here

This makes me sick. There is not even a provision in the agreement to have the premises inspected before the birds go back. I hope they are unable to raise the $$ to get them back. But gee, looks like the gabriel foundation might just help them raise the money. One thing though, in my county,you would reamin a target/suspect with animal control. unfortunately there are just not enough officers to go around. Re-paying the vet bills is not enough either, most defendants have to pay a fine. They should have been made to surrender the birds with no chance to getting them back. Sick.

#170757 - 07/23/08 04:17 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: bellesmom]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
One has to consider the very real possibility that all concerned parties KNOW that the owners will not pay because they can't or just won't. Then where will the birds be? Yes, with a breeder in Florida that sits on the board of The Gabriel Foundation. Then, the only decision is how to split the profits. Sickening scenario but nothing would surprise me. mad

#170760 - 07/23/08 04:31 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Charlie]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
It just gets sicker, and sicker, and sicker. Unreal!!!!

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#170761 - 07/23/08 04:35 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Charlie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
And let's not forget the $27,900 that the owners will be responsible for their day-to-day rountine care to TGF. (As per TGF - $50 per mo/per bird.) And that is IN ADDITION to any and all veterinary costs incurred - which is ongoing and is already extensive. Tack that onto the nearly $20k the owners have to reimburse the Commonwealth???

#170906 - 07/24/08 01:43 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I hope EVERYONE involved in this horrid outcome rots in HELL! I'll give them a piece of my mind too!

Donna
Free as a bird???
#170956 - 07/24/08 03:55 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Donnalee]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Take a look at their new homepage:

http://www.thegabrielfoundation.org/

I used the contact to let them know, personally, how I felt about the disgusting situation. One can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

#170959 - 07/24/08 04:05 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Charlie]  
Java_One Offline
Java_One  Offline

Hawaii
Boy, talk about backpedaling and FAST, what do they think we are all STUPID????

#170962 - 07/24/08 04:07 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Java_One]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
I really think they do, Java! It if wasn't so sick, it might be funny!

#171005 - 07/24/08 05:23 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Charlie]  
Lanie Offline
Lanie  Offline

So. California
Why would a "breeder" be allowed on the board of a rescue???????
That's like letting the devil be a church elder. The mind boggles.

Owned by Sammy the "Super Goffin"
#171133 - 07/25/08 12:03 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: couragee]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Richmond Channel 6 did a feature a 5pm - there is a clip on up on their site.

http://www.wtvr.com/Global/category.asp?C=4672&nav=menu79_2 (click on the picture of the macaw)

The video says there will be more on the 6pm news, including another video, so hopefully that one will be up later this evening.

#171222 - 07/25/08 06:58 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: couragee]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
The birds are now in possession of the Crosswhites. They were loaded into the back of a NON-climate controlled box truck. A peaceful demonstratation was held in the public right-of-way in front of the animal shelter, and the media was present for the event. The demonstration has now been relocated to the public right of way in front of the OC Court House. Representatives from the sanctuary filmed the event and we'll get that up, and available to everyone in the near future.

#171224 - 07/25/08 07:24 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
public coverage of all this is the key. Video the hell out of everything and plaster it on every video site on the web.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny