Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 45 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#164764 - 05/16/08 07:01 AM 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia  
couragee Offline
Lives Here
couragee  Offline
Lives Here

stockton, ca
Hey all ~

I have a couple of friends (Holly, who used to be our Grey coordinator, and Rowan) who volunteer with a rescue back east. They've been helping out with the rescue this week of 31 macaws living in horrible conditions as breeders. A lot of the info about it can't be made public yet, because it's going to court, however I got the "ok" to share the following which is a message from the rescue's executive director. I know that similar situations must exist all over the US, I'm glad these birds at least will now have a chance at a healthier happier life.

Rowan runs www.BirdyBooty.com, a fabulous bird-toy company that specializes in foraging toys. She has offered to make as many macaw toys as she can from any money donated and give the toys to the rescue. If you want to donate to help, you can get more info by emailing her at sales@birdybooty.com

http://www.wtvr.com/global/story.asp?s=8318254

Some of you have asked about an "official" update which can be
circulated, so here's the update as of 5/14 at 6pm:

The total number of birds seized was 31 large macaws. This was
largely a breeding situation - most are bonded pairs but there are a
few singles. Most were active breeders with attached nest boxes to
their makeshift cages. More info. on the conditions will be released
after the initial hearing on Wed. the 21st. We will be attending the
hearing. We will eventually release our own video footage of the
conditions and the rescue, which we hope to bring awareness to such
situations that exist in far too many places in this Country.

Within 24 hours of taking in the birds, we were able to find temporary
situations w/ suitable quarantine standards for 2/3 the birds
including 9 of them going to the vet's office that we have been
working with closely on this rescue. Within 48 hours, all 31 are in
stable, short term places including our own quarantine room and an
outdoor aviary we have designed for Macaws. All have been eating alot
since the first evening we took them in. The taste of a banana,
orange, sweet potato or apple is most appealing to these birds.

Most of the birds have already been examined by Dr. Cook, with full
workups completed on all 9 of the birds at her clinic. We are
confident all will survive - a near miracle considering how they were
kept. One Greenwing Macaw has a massive cyst/tumor on one of it's
wings. The wing had minor surgery today. All seem to have been
exposed to an upper respiratory illness and treatment is underway.

It's too soon to determine each individual's long term placement, we
will be evaluating each bird during this time of quarantine - which
could last as long as 3 months. Most, however, have spent a lifetime
as a breeder bird void of any pleasant human contact and will most
likely prefer a life with other macaws. Our new Macaw room will be
able to accomodate at least half of the ex-breeder birds in a
cage-free natural-themed macaw community and we are also working with
other accredited Sanctuaries to determine other options. For those
birds that do seek human companionship, we will conduct adoptions to
volunteers.

When I first stepped out of my truck into the muddy farm field on
Monday to see the situation for the first time, with one hour's notice
- I was immediately overwhelmed by the magnitude of what needed to be
done. With the help of so many of our incredible volunteers and Dr.
Cook and her veterinary staff, we were able to quickly not only get
all of these birds a clean, sanitary environment with good food and
clean water, but we were also able to begin medical testing and exams.
I couldn't be more proud of the community of positive-spirited bird
lovers that have stepped in and helped out - and will continue to help
out until things settle down eventually around here.

Thank You!!!!!

Last edited by Charlie; 05/17/08 10:45 PM. Reason: title change

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before improving the world. Anne Frank
#164779 - 05/16/08 03:10 PM 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: couragee]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Thanks for posting this Maria and please everyone, keep your fingers crossed that the hearing on Wednesday goes in favor of the birds.

We'll circulate another official update after the hearing.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#164781 - 05/16/08 03:29 PM 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
What a horrid story with a much needed intervention. It's amazing that the birds were able to survive the winters in such awful conditions. Kudos to Dr. Cook and the rescue. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome on Wednesday. It's too bad that they can't charge the owners the $2500 fine per macaw and 1 year in jail for each macaw. That would really send a message to other breeders and hoarders that keep their birds in abusive and neglectful environments. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#164783 - 05/16/08 05:16 PM Re: [Mickaboo Discuss] Shared with permission: The res [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Dirtpilot Offline
Dirtpilot  Offline

Victoria, Australia
I know what I would like to do to these _____________....!!!

Kind regards
JACKIE
Cookie- GSC2, Buddy- GSC2, Mofo- W.A Galah,

I'ts the simple things in life...
#164802 - 05/16/08 09:24 PM 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Dirtpilot]  
couragee Offline
Lives Here
couragee  Offline
Lives Here

stockton, ca
I don't understand how the pentalties are so low. One bird sale will take care of the fine; no big deal to the offender. Also, how could the courts not rule against the owner. I don't have much money, but let me know if I can write anyone, or just bop someone on the head for you.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before improving the world. Anne Frank
#164805 - 05/16/08 09:45 PM 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: couragee]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Hopefully the Judges will get tired of seeing this and start uping the penalties. I'd love to see these losers have to do community time at a rescue cleaning bird cages and getting educated about what they are perpetuating.

Donna
Free as a bird???
#164874 - 05/17/08 11:00 PM 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Donnalee]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I've posted some images of the situation these birds were in on For the Birds.

http://www.skarlettsweb.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6045

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#164880 - 05/18/08 01:19 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
alexz Offline
alexz  Offline

Southern California
Has anyone contacted Cockatoo Rescue in Washington? I know Lori has macaw flights, so she may be able to accommodate.

#164881 - 05/18/08 01:52 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: alexz]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Alex, as the update says, the birds are all in good, temporary, local situations, pending the outcome of the court hearing on Wednesday. Arrangements for permanent placement are not appropriate at this time.

Last edited by EchosMom; 05/18/08 02:54 AM. Reason: added word "local"

#164900 - 05/18/08 08:26 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
couragee Offline
Lives Here
couragee  Offline
Lives Here

stockton, ca
Okay, here's my question after seeing those photos. Where was animal control a year ago or more. The only reason the birds were rescued was they were abondond. But OMG! They were abandond (philisopically speaking) a long time ago. I hate that is has to get so D! bad and disasterous before the "law" steps in. I am so angry after see those pictures. I also wonder for all their suffering, how many of the babies that they produced are and will be in rescues at some point themselves. This is a D! disgrace!

#165039 - 05/19/08 10:19 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: couragee]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Just shameful! Thanks for the pics EM. Words could not have done justice here. Is it the people's fault for not reporting this because I can't imagine animal control letting this happen? Shame Shame Shame!!!

Donna
Free as a bird???
#165049 - 05/19/08 11:35 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Donnalee]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
The costs associated with this rescue effort are considerable. For those that would like to help, besides direct donations, here is another avenue.

Avian Antics Bird Toys has selected Project Perry as this months featured organization. There are several options. You can shop directly for the sanctuary and Avian Antics will ship your order directly. They are offering free shipping of most items and under the Emergency assistance program, are offering a 20% discount. Your dollars will go further. There are also offering other discounts and savings on your entire order if a portion goes to help the sanctuary.

Many, many thanks to the folks at Avian Antics!!!!

ETA: Donna, AC, has filed charges, and the courts will be making a ruling on Wednesday.

Orange County did an excellent job of responding to this as soon as it was brought to their attention. The property is a 600 acre farm and was a foreclosure sale. The birds had been moved from the side of the house to a field and the new property owner discovered them. Authorities took IMMEDIATE action.

Last edited by EchosMom; 05/19/08 11:46 PM.

#165056 - 05/20/08 12:06 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Good-good! I didn't think AC would take something that serious lightly. Ah-ha--another good reason to go shopping. Thanks for the link EM.

Donna
Free as a bird???
#165130 - 05/20/08 08:41 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Donnalee]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I was wondering...When you go to buy a bird from a breeder like this, how is it that people do not see the conditions that the birds are kept in? Do they bring out a cute little chick in a basket so people don't see the horrid conditions? Or do people see that and turn their cheek not wanting to get involved in reporting to AC?

Donna
Free as a bird???
#165156 - 05/21/08 12:00 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Donnalee]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I've never been into a breeding facility for the purposes of buying a bird. Unaware, I purchased my M2, but it was from a petstore, not directly from her breeder. But I have a couple of thoughts. The inside operation of many breeders (especially the worst ones) is not seen by the public because a) they only sell to petstores and most likely the birds are just shipped OR they have a petstore themselves; b) the eggs/chicks are pulled from the parents for hand-rearing and are housed separately from the breeder pairs, and c) the breeder sets up "shop" in a flea/swap market and sells the babies there.

#165174 - 05/21/08 02:49 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
Cassie's_girl Offline
Lives Here
Cassie's_girl  Offline
Lives Here

Wisconsin, USA
EM, thanks for posting this, I hope they make an example of the breeders, those pics were DISGUSTING!

Many years ago my husband (then boyfriend) and I traveled for a living. Whenever we were in the warmer areas of the country where birds were more available I scoured pet stores and visited breeders because I was fascinated with parrots, but there weren't many back then in WI. Back then there wasn't really any internet, and all my research in books and magazines sung the praises of breeders and hand-fed (ESPECIALLY unweaned sick babies!!!! eek ) parrots. It took me a long time to realize what a cruel industry it truly was.

I visited several breeders in California, Arizona, and Florida. In practically all the larger ones they would ask what types of parrot you were interested in, and when you got there they would have a couch or playstand full of adorable, friendly, sweet, playful baby birds.

Almost none of them would let you tour the breeding or handfeeding areas, claiming it was to protect the birds from diseases. I'm sure as soon as I left they were back to their lonely boxes or cages til the next feeding time. I'm sure that's how they get away with the neglect seen in those pics. I hate that I ever contributed to any of it. I won't even buy toys or food from a store that sells animals now.

~ Nikki

The strongest of all warriors are these two Time and Patience. -Leo Tolstoy
#165230 - 05/21/08 05:34 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Cassie's_girl]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks for the story CG. I like seeing the breeders exposed for what they are! That should turn away most prospective baby buyers. What a bunch of dirtbags!

Donna
Free as a bird???
#165280 - 05/22/08 01:31 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Donnalee]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Here is the 5/21 update from Project Perry:

Quote:
We went to court today for the seizure hearing which determines custody of the parrots. The defense did ask for a continuance which was granted by the Judge. I just spoke to the animal control officer in charge and both people were arrested today and each charged with 31 counts including 26 counts of animal cruelty. The trial date is set for June 20th. We're continuing with veterinary exams, tests and treatments and all of the birds are doing much better than 10 days ago. I will give another update as we get more information and as the birds progress. I want to take this opportunity to once again thank everyone who has been involved with helping these birds!

#165309 - 05/22/08 04:29 AM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: EchosMom]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Thanks for the update!

Gail
#165375 - 05/22/08 09:43 PM Re: 31 Macaws abandoned in Virginia [Re: Bird Mom]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm glad to hear they are doing better! Thanks for helping them!!!

Donna
Free as a bird???
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny