Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#164030 - 05/06/08 09:05 PM 911!  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
There was a Goffin's 2 for sale at the same time I bought Angel. The same GOOF owned both birds and had to get rid of them because the SPCA said they were going to take them if he didn't. I have watched this 2 go downhill. I have told the pet store owner what the bird needed. I have brought toys, made natural perches from branches, told her about My Toos and given them the Rescue stuff. Finally two weeks ago the bird was in such bad shape I called the Saskatchewan SPCA. I told Ian McMillian the 2 was starting to mutilate and had plucked most of its feathers out. He said he would check into it. This weekend, to my horror, the bird had a t-shirt on and chest full of blood. I called Ian back and in "Charlie Style" told him that this bird is on death's doorstep. He said he would get someone to look into that and make an inspection. (I thought that would have already been done!) I said that I would take the 2 if it was going to be seized. He said "oh no--we don't give the animals to the complaintents because they might just want the bird." I said whatever as long as it gets to a good home. (Like I'm looking for a mutilating, plucking bird probably needing $$$ vet care). I asked him when he would get back to me because this needs immediate attention. He said well I see when I can get someone down there (in a very unmoved I don't really give a shit tone). I told him I didn't think he was too concerned. He said "I get calls all the time and it turns out to be nothing that serious". WTF! I said I'll be calling you back. I'm going to take pictures of this 2 on my cell phone and put it in the paper if that 2 is still there when I go down on the weekend. This is going to be a dead bird if he doesn't get his ass in gear and I will make him pay! I also left a message with Dr. Parker at the U of S telling her what is going on. I don't know what else I can do...

Donna
Free as a bird???
#164080 - 05/07/08 03:18 AM Re: 911! [Re: Donnalee]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Seems like to have done the best you can do...but don't give up!!!

Gail
#164091 - 05/07/08 04:33 AM Re: 911! [Re: Bird Mom]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
ARGH this is insane... frown I feel your frustration.

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#164127 - 05/07/08 06:48 PM Re: 911! [Re: belle-ville]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

I wish everyone took animal abuse serious cuz it is. I hope someone can get to the bird before he dies.

#164150 - 05/07/08 10:27 PM Re: 911! [Re: rockinseattle]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I tried to phone Ian McMillian this morning to see if he had sent anyone down to the pet store. His receptionist said he was in a meeting until 3:00. I'll phone him back then. If he doesn't make me happy I'll find out who is on the board of directors and call them. I'm going to be like a bad case of jock itch!

Donna
Free as a bird???
#164176 - 05/08/08 05:08 AM Re: 911! [Re: Donnalee]  
Dirtpilot Offline
Dirtpilot  Offline

Victoria, Australia
You go girl!!!!!

Keep us informed

Kind regards
JACKIE
Cookie- GSC2, Buddy- GSC2, Mofo- W.A Galah,

I'ts the simple things in life...
#164230 - 05/08/08 09:53 PM Re: 911! [Re: Dirtpilot]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Good news! I guess Ian did take me seriously. I talked to the pet store owner yesterday and she said that someone from the SK SPCA (Saskatoon) came in to check on the 2. She was going to take the bird but the pet store owner said she made arrangements with the owner to buy the 2. She is supposed to take the 2 to the vet. I warned her that the 2 could easily get infection and/or mutilate itself that it could be over a g for surgery or death. She said she would do whatever it took to keep and help the bird. I went over a bunch of stuff that would help. She is going to take the 2 to the pet store during the day and then home at night and on the weekends. She moved her cage behind the desk so people can't walk by and poke at her and pick her up. I said they are very sensitive and she is probably scared to death of strangers comming over to her and petting and picking her up. I warned her that she had to keep a super close eye on her or she could get under her t-shirt and rip herself open. I'll print out a bunch of stuff for her to read on plucking and mutilating. I know she has a really good heart I just hope that she understands now how serious this is and how much effort it will take. I'll keep a "2" eye on the little girl.

Donna
Free as a bird???
#164250 - 05/09/08 01:30 AM Re: 911! [Re: Donnalee]  
Dirtpilot Offline
Dirtpilot  Offline

Victoria, Australia
It sounds like a good outcome so far, Well done to you and your determination to help this 2!!!!!!

Kind regards
JACKIE
Cookie- GSC2, Buddy- GSC2, Mofo- W.A Galah,

I'ts the simple things in life...
#164328 - 05/09/08 10:14 PM Re: 911! [Re: Dirtpilot]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Some more good news; Ian called me today and said that the PS owner has an appointment next Tuesday with Dr. Parker in Saskatoon. I asked him if he will check to see that she did go there. He said yes and they will be sending someone back to check on the condition of the 2 after that. I'm glad we have such awesome vets in Saskatoon. Dirtpiolot you are exactly right with "so far"--I'll keep a close eye on this litle darling. I have a big enough yap for a million birds and animals! (yikes--that's a big yap lol) Oh yea, I thanked Ian very very much for acting so quickly on this timely issue. : )

Donna
Free as a bird???

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny