Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#160795 - 04/09/08 05:25 AM Just Slap Me  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
I have been volunteering with a couple of rescue groups-------helping them move today-------last night got an email asking if I would be intersted in this little U2-----------there is room at the Inn, though I have not been looking-------so I met her today--------------in all her plucked glory, hole in her chest at the area of her crop, feathers pulled off on both sides of her beautiful face, she reaching, trying to give kisses------six years old, never bite anyone, spent her first four years in a rusted cage, the last two years outside in an aviary with two Macaws who attacked her often-------------------says "I love you", leans her beautiful head against my chest, closes her eyes, pulls one and then the other foot up deep into her body, so skinny, came with some seed crap, wants to give kisses ----- I love Too's but not at my face, though everyone including the vet and the vet tech let her kiss them on the mouth-------sick-----sick------pretty little Too---------I was told I could just take her home from the rescue-----------she looked like an emergency to me so instead of moving that rescue we took her to the vet ----------she only just arrived at the rescue this AM-----I was told she was healthy and all up to date--------------ummmmm------------------------euthanasia;"bringing about of a gentle death in the case of incurable and painful disease"-----did you say PBFD? The rescue is short money-------------my mind is swimming with thoughts--------thank God I insisted that she travel in a carrier instead of the gentle loving arms of a rescue person----although that is what I wanted for her too-----I just thought maybe she would be better off in the-----who knows--------I'm just glad of this one stupid thing--------I am contaminated and almost brought this illness to Rain-----Okay let's at least do the PBFD test to be so very sure--------she is in isolation at the vets, they may get results before seven days, if they do they will call me, $250 at the very least------no do not visit every day-------too much risk to Rain-----------they will make sure she eats--------they really hope she get lucky -------she is such a sweet -------------------

#160796 - 04/09/08 05:35 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
kookytoo Offline
kookytoo  Offline

Northern California
>>>SMACK<<< (((((Desertrain)))))

p.s.
Lol ... I'm assuming, of course, that you know your name between (...) means hugs, right? You're not crazy ...

kookytoo's mom, Ms.Mary
#160806 - 04/09/08 05:49 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: kookytoo]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
OMG destertrain, please update as soon as you know. I would be HEARTBROKEN as well!

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#160822 - 04/09/08 06:13 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: belle-ville]  
pixy_stix Offline
pixy_stix  Offline

I almost don't want to ask, but what is PBFD?

Poor little bird. frown

#160823 - 04/09/08 06:13 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: belle-ville]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Unfortunately, for this little Too, I have had my miracle when I got Rain back home safe and sound.
I would now like to go sit under a blanket.

#160828 - 04/09/08 06:22 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
kookytoo Offline
kookytoo  Offline

Northern California
PBFD is a hideous disease/viral infection that kills birds ... and is very contagious ... she could have passed it on to Rain from the poor little sickly bird frown

PBFD = psittacine beak and feather disease

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=15&cat=1829&articleid=2592

Last edited by kookytoo; 04/09/08 06:23 AM. Reason: added link

kookytoo's mom, Ms.Mary
#160832 - 04/09/08 06:29 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: kookytoo]  
pixy_stix Offline
pixy_stix  Offline

frown damn. I hope the diagnosis is wrong.

#160847 - 04/09/08 06:55 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: pixy_stix]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
This is why quarantine is so very important--------always-----labs and quarantine always--------no matter what anyone says or what your little heart says-------quarantine.
I have learned so much about the differences in rescues too, however, because I received so much help------they kept me going when I was searching for Rain-------from this rescue I was trying to give back even though I was very uncomfortable with their risky ( I felt) intake of rescues, sometimes (often), not getting labs and just placing a rescue with the others------a nightmare waiting to happen, I thought---------but thought I------do they not know more then I know?????? They have been in this rescue work for years-----------A NIGHTMARE WAITING TO HAPPEN.

Last edited by Desertrain; 04/09/08 06:56 AM. Reason: spelling error
#160853 - 04/09/08 07:06 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Let us know what happens. I hope this bird does not have PBFD

#160862 - 04/09/08 07:26 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: rockinseattle]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
And I would like to go to that #@!###woman's house, who kept this little Too for the past two years and dumped her today at the rescue, and rip her chest open and pull her heart out and jump on it and then shove it back into her #@$##%chest------------------------Thank you so much for being here and listening to me---------if I ever look at another rescue please SLAP ME!!

#160877 - 04/09/08 08:13 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
I am so sorry you have to go through this. Your lesson is one that will not soon be forgotten by anyone here. We shall pray for this little bird and pray the diagnosis is not the dreaded PBFD.
And as I was reading what you would like to do to the previous owner, I felt how good it would be to do something like that to someone who would let the birds condition get so bad. Humans are so heartless!!!! I could just scream!!
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#160892 - 04/09/08 01:26 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Ladyhutch]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Bless your heart, Deserttrain, you have a heart of gold!! I will pray that this precious one does not have that dreaded disease! I agree with Ladyhutch -my sentiments exactly!! Please don't be hard on yourself - your kindness will be rewarded. I do so hope you can take this little girl home!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#160899 - 04/09/08 01:49 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: MissYumYum]  
umbimom Offline
umbimom  Offline

central PA
Deserttrain, Bless you for being their with that little precious one. Hopefully everything turns out ok and you can give her a loving home. What you wanted to do to the lady who had her, I would agree to help you. Keep us posted. Hugs and prayers coming at you. Sharon

#161037 - 04/10/08 01:27 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: umbimom]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Things look hopeful now-------------the lady who turned this little U2 into the rescue called and was more truthful about the history. She also claims to rescue horses, so she spends money, you just know it, on vet care. This U2 is now reported to be twelve or sixteen and has NEVER seen a vet. She was once loved and cared for with her first owner who got too old and had too many birds and gave them to a neighbor and died shortly after. That must be where this little Too leaned to say "I love you." This last awful person claims she rescued the Too from those people four years ago and that this Too had a hole in her chest then and that those people had used a milk carton cut in half with a slit in it on her neck with duck tape to secure it and this caused her wings to droop, and much damage to the feathers. When she got the Too she put her out with her Macaws and said she thought the Too would learn to fight back and added "The stupid bird never did." She was reported to have cried during some point of this story saying she really wanted the Too to have a nice home.
When the vet first saw the condition of the feathers and the plucked damage to the face and sides of her head he said she could not have done all that damage and that the feathers were so damaged this led him to highly suspect the nightmare PBFD. Now considering her just awful years of misery there is great hope she may come to my home and she and I will find a fine name for her because her life is going to be so very different and I will be sure she has someone to love and care for her when I am no longer on this earth in this form.
I feel so much better. I could not sleep last night. She almost had her life ended yesterday because this woman lied about her history.

#161041 - 04/10/08 01:46 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
kookytoo Offline
kookytoo  Offline

Northern California
Well ... I guess it's good that she finally gave a truer history; what idiot would put a little bitty Goffins in with a couple of Macaws and think *that* would turn out well?!? The one that was stupid was her, not the little 'too ... what a bonehead!

>>>heavy sigh<<< People can be incredibly obtuse ...

kookytoo's mom, Ms.Mary
#161063 - 04/10/08 05:10 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: kookytoo]  
pixy_stix Offline
pixy_stix  Offline

I echoed the heavy sigh. That bird needs some love and stability in her life.

#161066 - 04/10/08 05:40 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: kookytoo]  
charlieandme Offline
Lives Here
charlieandme  Offline
Lives Here

Most people that claim to rescue horses don't, apparently the same is true for birds.

entiendo.etsy.com
#161696 - 04/14/08 07:30 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: charlieandme]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Everyone please say a prayer for this Too that her test comes back negative. She has suffered so much in her twelve years with humans that I will not be able to handle bad results. I want to bring her home so badly. The results should be back Monday or Tuesday. It just makes me sick that she is in a room alone at the vets.
When I first saw her I just wanted to hold her and tell her "I am so sorry" and cry.

#161714 - 04/14/08 10:59 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
luvmy2albert Offline
luvmy2albert  Offline

Granger, IN
I'll say a prayer and so will Albert. He knows all too well what it's like to be STUCK, hopelessly in a cage. He was lucky though...no health problems. We are very sorry but we are glad that the little angel is in your care now.

"Saving one dog won't change the world, but surely the world will change for that one dog."
#161766 - 04/14/08 09:27 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: luvmy2albert]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
No results on labs today. The vet tech called the lab and was told they need seven working days so hopefully the results will be back tomorrow or Wednesday. They said she has not touched that wound on her chest since arriving. She does not have a collar on just gets that AVIX BIRD RAIN spray twice a day. I really think she is so relieved to be in a safe place, not being attacked by macaws all day.

#161767 - 04/14/08 09:43 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Ah, Darn! I've just read this and sitting here crying! I pray this sweet little U2 is able to go home with you and forgives the human race for their injustices to her! Bless You!, DesertRain, for wanting to care for her! Hope WE all get good news tomorrow!

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#161773 - 04/15/08 12:08 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Brandy's mom]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Deserttrain, I doubt you know this, but I had a little budgie, (Beefur, as in B for budgie) He was a rehome, cos he didnt 'look right'. I had him well bird checked as I always did, and because of his 'looks' he was tested for PBFD. First test was negative. I felt the need to push, as he was in the same building (my home) as my other rescued/rehomed friends. Strictly Q'd, as i did with all newcomers. I pushed, second test came positive. I went thru hell, finding beefur a safe 'only bird' home, spent much money that went well beyond what I could afford in cleansing my home of 'disease' by professionals, then repeated tests on all my other inhabitants, just in case... I later learned of 'false positive' tests, and had feathers retested. NEGATIVE. Red mite was the cause of the feather loss, nothing more, nothing less. Beefur died in his new home, but NOT to PBFD. To a cat attack frown And I, in my hopefull trust of keeping this tiny little bird alive, with hope, placed him in the home that would kill him. NOT pbfd, a poor, but well meant choice on my part. I would urge ANYBODY to have not ONE test done, but THREE. False positives DO occur, as I know to my great pain, and the death of a little red mite bird, that needent have died. (had I not rehomed him frown )
I am not saying take a pbfd test lightly, what I am saying is check, double check, and check again.
I hope this reply dosent offend, but Ive NEVER quite cone to terms with the fact that assuming the worst actually cost my little Beefur his life. Not through disease, but through a cat.
Please, double, treble check, JUST in case.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#161853 - 04/15/08 06:54 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: wishfull]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
I am waiting to hear about the test results!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#161914 - 04/16/08 04:19 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: sandiego]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Negative!!!!!
Got the call this PM just before the vet office closed which means I cannot pick her up until the morning which is probably okay since I still need to get her a home.
I am putting her playstand together now so she will have something to sit on while I put her home together since I will shop for her home and then head to the vet's office to pick her up in the morning.

#161927 - 04/16/08 06:54 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
Dirtpilot Offline
Dirtpilot  Offline

Victoria, Australia
Oh WOW!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

That is great news, she will be so loved with you!!

Some things are just meant to be...!!!

Keep us updated and take some pics would love to see her!!!

PBFD is a huge thing here in Australia and it kills me to see these poor innocent birds go through what they do because of it!

Kind regards
JACKIE
Cookie- GSC2, Buddy- GSC2, Mofo- W.A Galah,

I'ts the simple things in life...
#161967 - 04/16/08 03:11 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Dirtpilot]  
Cassie's_girl Offline
Lives Here
Cassie's_girl  Offline
Lives Here

Wisconsin, USA
What great news, I've been keeping an eye on this and hoping for the best!

~ Nikki

The strongest of all warriors are these two — Time and Patience. -Leo Tolstoy
#161970 - 04/16/08 03:23 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Cassie's_girl]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Desertrain thats fantastic news. She's going to be a very happy girl when she gets to see where she will be living now. Congratulations! Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#161973 - 04/16/08 03:34 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Heide1 Offline
Lives Here
Heide1  Offline
Lives Here

Port Charlotte, FL
God love you Desertrain, for loving and caring for this little precious and deserving life. That's just wonderful about the negative result!

Heide
"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." (Aesop)
#161990 - 04/16/08 06:17 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Heide1]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
I am sooo happy for you Deserttrain!!!! Now this sweet bird's life will open into a whole new and wonderful chapter with you and your family!!

Annette

#161995 - 04/16/08 06:35 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: MissYumYum]  
LeAnn Offline
LeAnn  Offline

YEAH!!!!! I am so happy for her! (and you) Congrats!

Kerr&Rumor
#162031 - 04/16/08 10:16 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: LeAnn]  
Chico's Mom Offline
Chico's Mom  Offline

I'm so glad this has a happy ending and a beautiful beginning for you both!

#162042 - 04/16/08 11:35 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Chico's Mom]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
YES!!! grin
Sharon

Last edited by Ladyhutch; 04/16/08 11:36 PM.

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#162043 - 04/16/08 11:41 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Ladyhutch]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm SOOO happy for you two! That is a v-e-r-y lucky 2 to have you!! Rain will enjoy the company. : )

Donna
Free as a bird???
#162056 - 04/17/08 02:01 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Donnalee]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
Awesome!!!! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!!!!!!!!!

Karen, Lucy and Pina

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#162059 - 04/17/08 02:42 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Lucy's Mom]  
kookytoo Offline
kookytoo  Offline

Northern California
That sure sounds great Desertrain; how wonderful that she'll be going to such a caring person smile

kookytoo's mom, Ms.Mary
#162088 - 04/17/08 09:00 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: kookytoo]  
CookiesDad Offline
CookiesDad  Offline

Saudi Arabia
YEAY!!! laugh

#162109 - 04/17/08 06:51 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: CookiesDad]  
Java_One Offline
Java_One  Offline

Hawaii
I have been watching this thread holding my breath, and now I can say CONGRATULATIONS and bless your heart for being such a loving person. I cannot wait to hear how this little one thrives under your care. She deserves such a loving home as yours after all her years of torment. Miracles do happen.

#162179 - 04/18/08 04:14 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Java_One]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Good job!! A new adventure!

Gail
#162277 - 04/19/08 05:31 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Bird Mom]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
I want to thnak everyone for their kinds words and thoughts.
The little U2 came home Wednesday after I bought a cage, set it up (pant, pant),and hung a toy.
She had thrived in solitary confinement---------did not mutilate the whole eight days in the room in a crate. The vet said he was convinced it was nutritional and now that she is on Harrison's she will do well. Yeah, well you and I know better.
She is twelve and mutilated for years. I just think it was such a relief to be safe that she really liked it. As soon as she was brought out she burrowed her head deeply into me but as soon as she was in any other position she went for that horrid area on her chest. I kept drawing the vet tech's attention to this and he smiled and sprayed her with Avi Soother and said "she really likes this."
So home we went with a promise to return the first of the week for more labs. I just wanted out of there so I could get her to my avian vet for labs and whatever else she needed.
By Wednesday night her chest was open and there was blood on her beak------------it is really hard to not pay attention to this but I gave no notice and kept from throwing up. She is like a little psych patient who needs minimal stimulation. Everything is too much. She saw her new cage and put herself in it and began playing and chewing on her new toy with a bite at her chest with each activity of play. She ate like pig and chewed her chest in between each pellet. I thought maybe being out of the cage would help her so I tried the playstand and that was way too much for her so back to her cage with half of it covered.
She has not met the dogs and they have been very quiet.
Thursday I called ( he is not in his office on Wednesday or I would have gone directly there)my avian vet and told them she had to be seen NOW or she would soon be eating her heart so she was seen at ten and got the collar, actually two collars cause she reached right down with the first and got busy at that area.
She got labs drawn and an injection of antibiotics. She was very PO'd at me and very mad at the collar. I think the people who dumped her at the rescue took off whatever device they had on her before leaving her, because she is one who will probably always need some sort of collar. I knew this when I first saw her. I learned from this site. She had an awful time, chewing at the collar and falling from her perch and stomping. I felt awful for her. I just bet she had not been without some kind of collar device for years and she was having fun chewing and climbing and eating. She has an awful time with eating. I hold her pellets and she carefully eats them. She loves apples. I almost took the collar off. I thought she was choking. Today she is resigned to this and sat for hours on her perch, not chewing on toys, depressed. This evening she let me know she wanted out and I put her on her playstand and she was great------she can hold toys and played and was comfortable checking the area out. She eats great, hates spray bottle, must have had bad experience with this cause she freaks out (she is filthy), she lets me wipe her beak. She wanted to bite me yesterday but did not. She makes a sound like a transistor radio static that had me looking for something in the house.
I thought this was going to be too much because I will need to find a better collar system and maybe she needs someone who knows so much about collars. I don't want to hurt her and she is not going to put up with me trying out things, then I had a brain storm-------I can use Rain as my model to try out different things when her wound heals. She gets Silvadene to that wound.
If she will get better care with a rescue group I know in Tucson she will go there. They are so knowledgeable and have told me that I am over my head with a U2. If I decide to take her I must do it this weekend. I don't want her too comfortable and uprooted again. I want to do what is right for her. She should have gone to this great rescue group in Tucson instead of the pretend rescue where she was left. I rescued her from a rescue.

#162301 - 04/19/08 04:19 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
So! Have you decided on a name yet? Her close call with a deadly disease makes me think of the name, Miriam. I'm just so happy for you and her!

Arthur Schopenhauer
#162312 - 04/19/08 11:13 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Brandy's mom]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
I don't know her well enough to know if she will be okay with another name. I don't like her name because I think it has brought her misfortune, however, she has been "Lily" for twelve years and if she does not want another name I will respect her wishes.
She was pulling my leg about not being able to eat pellets or drink water with this double collar on.
My avian vet said that her experience being caged with macaws would be "like you or me being locked in a cage with big, angry, adult chimpanzees coming at us all day".
I think she is beautiful and her feathers are growing in on her face.
I will move to another thread now. Thank you so much for your support. I know she is happy to be safe. She only speaks in a soft voice so far.

#162320 - 04/19/08 11:58 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Brandy's mom]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Gee Desertrain, you are just an angel! I can't even type because I'm teared up! Best of luck with what you decide is best for her.

Donna
Free as a bird???
#162350 - 04/20/08 06:14 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Donnalee]  
stina3246 Offline
stina3246  Offline

Florida
Desertrain, bless you for helping and loving this poor bird. I think if you choose to change her name she'll be fine. I did with both my birds to give them a new start but let them use thier original names if they want to. My U2 was named Baby when we got him. We changed his name to Baby Troy (for Cowboy Troy because he seems to love the music) This way we can refer to him as Troy but he still hears the name Baby. He's my Baby bird but he has now gotten used to and responds to Troy as well. We've had him about 2 years. He actually refers to himself as Birdy. My B&G came with the name Tuki but we switched to Aztec and call him Aztuki. We refer to him as Aztec but he still calls himself Tuki so we use it as his nickname.
As an aside-we got a Quaker parrot who had no name so we named him Hamlet. He calls himself Ham Ham. It's adorable!

#162363 - 04/20/08 07:44 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: stina3246]  
couragee Offline
Lives Here
couragee  Offline
Lives Here

stockton, ca
Are there pix yet?

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before improving the world. Anne Frank
#162375 - 04/20/08 11:44 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: couragee]  
hollipop Offline
hollipop  Offline

ENGLAND!
Desertrain, Casey the Goffin came to me in a collar. With the collar on she couldnt fly, couldnt move very well, and indeed was a very pitiful sight. I cried many a river because I thought she was never going to be free is this contraption, she was only four and had been in the collar for at least a year that I know of. She was a plucker and a mutilator, for me the issue was trying to wean her out of the collar, because as soon as it was taken off, off she went again. It took quite a few months, but in november the collar came off for good. She still plucks, but no mutilating. She doesnt mind that she is naked, I dont mind that she is naked, but we are both happier that she hasnt got the dreaded collar on and has stopped picking her skin. Its not easy, and sometimes you might feel so low about it, but that doesnt mean thereisnt hope
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd159/hollie3011/casey.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd159/hollie3011/DSC00086.jpg

I am a bird: can you question that I am any less human than you?
#162521 - 04/21/08 07:20 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: couragee]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Working on pictures. I've got to figure out my camera that I bought in Nov. first.
She now has feathers around her beak and can fluff them around her beak.
She is napping on her playstand with a loofah sponge in her mouth. It's like a pacifier thing.
She loves bananas too. She wiggled her tail feathers the first time I offered her apples.
Her feathers are so ragged. She comes apart with a spray even when I spray myself first and just let the mist fall on her. I tried again last evening and she fell off her perch onto her back because of the double collar. I helped her up and told her I was sorry and cupped her pretty face in my hands while she closed her eyes and stayed still. I felt awful, but plan to try putting her into the bath tub with some water (her feet are just filthy) when I have someone over to help with the collar contraption. She is gaining weight so I HAVE to figure the collar out. I am going to put velco on it when I get it off. It has staples now from the vet. With velco it could easily be adjusted without such a production.

#162522 - 04/21/08 07:22 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: hollipop]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Hollipop, what kind of collar is that? I am confused by it. I am trying to get as many ideas as possible on the types that are available.

#162526 - 04/21/08 07:56 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
I am going to put velco on it when I get it off. It has staples now from the vet. With velco it could easily be adjusted without such a production. [/quote]

Forget the velcro! The glue is a problem to the birds. I can't seem to find the post right now but will continue looking.

Arthur Schopenhauer
#162537 - 04/21/08 09:12 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Brandy's mom]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
I just talked to the vet's tech who said to forget the velco, "If it's easy for you to take off, you can bet she will be able to take it off".
Going tomorrow to the vet for re-adjustment and the teaching I needed in the beginning. They were very busy when I was last there and my vet was PO'd about the other vet and I think he let him emotions screw his and my day up because he is excellent and I know normally he would never have neglected the teaching part. He has called my home twice but I was so PO'd about not knowing what I am doing with regard to this collar system that I just could not talk to him. I am now over it and can problem solve now.

#162787 - 04/23/08 06:48 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
luv my Coco bean Offline
luv my Coco bean  Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
Desertrain, Coco was a mutilator when I got her. She had a fairly big whole in her chest. I made t-shirts for her. After tearing the first one off, I put another one on her, and she kept it on. I reinforced the front so it was two layers, just to make sure she couldn't bite through it easily. I found the thickest cotten t-shirt I had, and made the t-shirts for her. It took a few months, but she is without a shirt now, and doesn't bite her skin anymore. She still plucks feathers, but it's getting better slowly as well. She may be happier with a t-shirt than a collar....just a thought.

Yvonne
@--\---
#162863 - 04/24/08 06:32 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
jeepgurl Offline
jeepgurl  Offline

I have been reading everything on this chat thing that I can about 2's since May 1st is rapidly approaching (when I pick up my first U2...Sputnick)

It seems that plucking and mutilating is a big issue with U2's, and I'd like to know if that is something I should worry about. In the shelter I did see several others that were bald and beautiful, so that wouldnt bother me but the mutilating would scare the duty outta me! When I had my CAG and he was so sickly, he did pluck but I have no experience with mutilation. Are there signs that the plucking is going to occur and once the plucking has started are there signs that its going to turn into mutilation? I'm sorry to sound so stupid, but you guys all seem so knowledgeable with 2's and I would love any advice.

I have another bird as well, an orange winged amazon, so if Sputnick were to start this plucking business, would KeeWee see that and think its a cool thing to do and start herself?

Thanks in advance

Terri

#162885 - 04/24/08 04:10 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
luv my Coco bean do you have pictures of the t-shirt? I've looked for information about the t-shirt you made and I cannot find a picture or directions. Did you ever try the sock "thing----"?
How old is Coco?
I'm going to take this double thing off this weekend when my daughter is here to help with that plastic ball getting it back on, and attempt to give this little U2 a much needed bath in the bath tub and I have to get those nails trimmed that are awful and I think part of her reason for falls.
I want to put a t-shirt on her so badly. I work a couple of days a week and on those days she will have to wear the armor but when I'm not working she should wear something soft.

#162886 - 04/24/08 04:24 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: jeepgurl]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
jeepgurl plucking is the start of trouble. If nothing is done to solve the problem to stop the cycle, often the bird goes on to the next distructive behavior which is mutilation. There are many reasons, some physical, most emotional, nutition, illness, sadness, madness.
U2's seem to have the most problems,usually poorly brought up and raised by a stupid human who did not research the needs of the feathered soul he failed so horridly.

#162889 - 04/24/08 06:19 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
jeepgurl Offline
jeepgurl  Offline

Desertrain...So assuming that Sputnick has never shown problems in that area, with proper information, diet, socialization, and keeping him busy with toys etc, there is a chance that I can avoid this right?

I have heard that u2's need to be kept occupied so they dont get bored, even more so than other parrots. I started making my own toys (with bird safe materials), have a large cage for him, and have tried very hard to do as much research as I can. The shelter where I am adopting him is absolutely wonderful, one woman in particular takes calls anytime, and is willing to help in any way possible. I am hoping and praying that with their help, and all the help I have received from reading this website that Sputnick and I will have a wonderful relationship and that he will not turn to plucking and mutilation.

Thanks alot for all the advice you all have given me without even knowing it, just by posting different stuff.

Terri

#162891 - 04/24/08 06:32 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: jeepgurl]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
There is no guarentee any of our birds will not pluck.Sometimes it happens not because of impropper care but because they do not loose the desire to be wild and resort to plucking.Many members have had their birds from chicks and gave them the most desirable of homes in captivity but it is being in captivity that has created this monster.Of course the more you give the hopes are they will not turn this way.If your bird does pluck you can not take it personal.It just happens sometimes and it is out of our control.That is why we are all here.To help the cockatoos who suffer in captivity.

A friend of mine has a plucking cockatoo and really they have done everything they know of for this poor gal and she still plucks.They have read all there is to read and so many vet appointments later and still the little one plucks.They have just come to accept it and try to move on.They love her no matter nakid or feathered.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#162893 - 04/24/08 06:39 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Janny]  
jeepgurl Offline
jeepgurl  Offline

Thanks Janny, I appreciate it. I will do everything in my power to give Sputnick a safe and loving home. I hope we dont have to deal with that down the line, but if we do...we will. I'll do whatever it takes. I am so excited about picking him up on the first weekend of May, I hope he adjusts as well. Thanks again

Terri

#162911 - 04/24/08 11:26 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: jeepgurl]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Yes, I did not mean to make it sound as though there is one reason for plucking, mutilation.
Avoiding sexual stimulation and not confusing them with a mate relationship, I think, would give them a better chance for a good life.
Too's just are not meant to be pets. They are not good at it at all. I think of myself as sharing my home with a couple of feathered creatures. I am the provider, maid, psych care-taker, entertainer, cook, toy-maker, nurse,etc.
And I just love them. They are beautiful.

#162963 - 04/25/08 03:55 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
luv my Coco bean Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
Desertrain..Coco is 9 years old. Here's a picture of her in the t-shirt, and a progression picture of how well it worked. There's also a picture of the t-shirt design, so you'll know how to cut the material. I cut the ties really long at first, and then trim them once I've got it on her. Please let me know if it works for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed!!!

Yvonne
@--\---
#162964 - 04/25/08 04:40 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Here are a few pictures of my U2 Lilly and what she has done on occasion to herself. I have also added pictures of her in her T-Vest. It has done wonders for her. We still have to use it during certain times, but not all year.

Bless you for helping this little guy. Best of luck to you. Kim

Lilly plucking/mutilating wounds

Lilly in T-Vest

#162966 - 04/25/08 05:24 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Kim & Lilly]  
luv my Coco bean Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
that's awesome! Lily even let the feathers on her legs grow back! Coco hasn't done that yet...well, she let the right side grow, but not the left ! She mostly plucks on her left side...the side that was injured. She's blind on that side, and had a broken left wing that wasn't re-set properly.
I'm so proud of Lily, that wound looked really bad at the beginning! She looks fabulous now !! way to go, you did great work with her!!

Yvonne
@--\---
#163052 - 04/26/08 08:27 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Kim and Yvonne, thank you so much for the information.
Coco and Lily are beautiful.
The little U2 who lives in my home fell (again) from one of the perches and hit the plastic bubble collar in such a way that is popped off. She was busy grooming feathers that were impossible to reach, acutally she cannot groom at all with the double collar, anyway she was a busy girl sitting on her playstand checking out the feathers beneath her wings when in one move she reached under her collar ( the bottom one ) and pulled off in one huge piece her scab and began going for the fresh healthy pink skin! I had called my daughter to come help me and she was on her way. I had tried to put that plastic collar on but you need someone to stretch her neck and someone else to put it on. I tried a couple of times and caused her discomfort both times. She is still so good and forgives as soon as I tell her I am sorry.
She was great with my daughter and let us put that plastic collar back on her.
I will put a t-shirt like you have fashioned this weekend after her BIG bath with both collars off and my daughter her to help. My daughter was very uneasy with this little U2 at first but has started to soften toward her very much.
I am looking forward to giving her a break from this double collar. She has tender areas on both wings and an area on her neck.
I will be so pleased if she can stay out of that double collar on the days I don't work----------which are many, and wear a soft t-shirt on most days.
Thanks so much for the patterns.

#163228 - 04/28/08 06:53 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
luv my Coco bean Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
I really hope she keeps the t-shirt on for you. It took a couple of tried for Coco to accept it. If I need to put it on her now, from time to time, she actually helps me. She sits really still, and lifts her wings so I can tie it up. I think she understands that it's there to help her. Of course, I always put it on while telling her what a good girl she is, and how beautiful she will look once her feathers grow in, or her wounds heal etc....
good luck, please let me know how it's going. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Yvonne
@--\---
#163747 - 05/03/08 05:27 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Wow!
Little Lovely, (temporary name until her name makes itself known), has made it through the night with her tie-dyed t-shirt intact.
Last night, with my daughter visiting, in case I needed to put that awful collar on that is causing the tops of her wings to bleed, I took both collars off and put a t-shirt on in one quick move. She did not have a minute to touch her healed chest. I had been sizing and making t-shirts through the day and had explained to Lovely everything I had planned to do including the much needed bath. When I put her, with her t-shirt on, into the bath tub she started to shake in terror. We told her we loved her and that no one would hurt her and she stopped trembling. She has a profound fear of the spray bottle. I believe someone has used it to "teach her a lesson" because as soon as she sees it she "comes undone". I poured water over her little body and sprayed, while reassuring her of her safety, her pretty face. When I wrapped her in a towel she dropped her head onto my arm and went to sleep. After a little rest the three of us set about to remove years of matted down. I put a dry t-shirt (blue, t-dyed) on her and she continued working preening herself. She did try to mess with the top of her t-shirt to get at her chest area so we put that small plastic ball-type collar back on. It keeps her beak away from the top of her t-shirt. It is nothing compared to that awful full collar that she had to wear in addition to the ball-plastic-type one.
I said a prayer and put her to bed and checked on her a couple of times and she was doing just fine.
This morning her t-shirt is without a tear. This is so wonderful. I will make her some with a denim patch to re-inforce the chest area for the times I am working.
Thank you so much.
We are so very fond of her little feathered self and look forward to the day that she makes a happy sound. She almost laughed a couple of times and she says "hi honey" in a soft little voice in greeting. That first day I met her in her terrified state she loudly repeated "I love you", over and over in a pitiful attempt that seemed to beg not to be hurt. She broke my heart. Feathers are starting to grow back around her beak which is a surprise because I thought those were too damaged to ever grow back. We can still see her ears, but she has enough feathers close to her beak now that she can fluff up as she naps with a foot toy in her mouth on her play stand. The feathers are all chewed up on her wings and she has none on her tail. She gained 70 gms in less than a week her first week with me. She ate day and night, eating THIRTY Harrison pellets with each round! I have a Rotti and she is expensive to keep fed but the volume of Harrison's this little Too was eating was like 100 a day! She no longer eats all through the night and eats Harrison's in a much smaller amount------like normal. Her vet said "Groceries seems to have been a big problem for her".
She does not fall off her perches anymore and I think this is because her feet had to adjust from whatever she managed to cling to when living with those macaws.
Again, thanks so much for the support. I was a little overwhelmed
in the beginning and started to think I had taken on something that I did not have the experience to handle but with all the support I recieved from you all I have been able to give Lovely a safe place to land.

#163748 - 05/03/08 05:38 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Wow sounds as if you are making enormous headway with Lovely! Congratulations on such a job well done. I'm so happy for Lovely to have found such a safe haven in your care. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#163762 - 05/03/08 07:33 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: BE2Cassie]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
What a heart-warming and uplifting post, Desertrain!! God sent this little angel to the right person! Bless you for giving her such a wonderful home!

Annette

#163765 - 05/03/08 08:46 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: MissYumYum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Awww I'm glad she's making progress. It's amazing how much lots of TLC and a good diet/environment can turn some of these creatures around. You're doing a fantastic job - you should be proud of her and yourself!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#163781 - 05/04/08 01:59 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: EchosMom]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Wow--you are a real trooper! Sometimes we don't know what we are capable of until we are tested! Good show!

Donna
Free as a bird???
#163795 - 05/04/08 03:28 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
A beautiful update. Thank you very much for sharing. Keep up the good work, Lovely! smile

#163804 - 05/04/08 05:47 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Charlie]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Thank you for rescuing this darling little angel. Your story brought tears. She deserves to share her life with you. Bless you. Good work Lovely!!
Sharon

#163813 - 05/04/08 07:18 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Ladyhutch]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
It is great that the t-shirt is working!! Congratulations on your progress and gosh she really lucked out to have met you.

This post reminded me of the very reason why I have always felt so compelled to adopt--both human and animal. Thanks laugh

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#163839 - 05/04/08 04:59 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: belle-ville]  
hollipop Offline
hollipop  Offline

ENGLAND!
nice to see a happy post! In reply to what type of collar casey was in, it was a plastic round collar with a hole in the middle and a split in the side to get it over her head, in the pic you can see plasters (band aids) on it, that was to try get it a little more comfortable. On the front there was a popper, not sure what you call them over there, to stop her removing it. I tried with the tee shirt, but to no avail. Heres hoping she keeps it one, my fingers are crossed for you both!

I am a bird: can you question that I am any less human than you?
#163840 - 05/04/08 05:05 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: hollipop]  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Thank you for such a wonderful update!

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#163863 - 05/05/08 01:01 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: hellobaby]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Definately great to hear tremendous progress! Keep up the awesome work!

Gail
#163909 - 05/05/08 03:01 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Bird Mom]  
luv my Coco bean Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
I'm so happy to hear that the t-shirt is working...it has to be alot more comfy for Lovely !! You've done a great job with her, and I'm sure she'll just continue to florish with all of your love and support ! Way to Go !!!!

Yvonne
@--\---
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny