Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#163052 - 04/26/08 08:27 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Kim and Yvonne, thank you so much for the information.
Coco and Lily are beautiful.
The little U2 who lives in my home fell (again) from one of the perches and hit the plastic bubble collar in such a way that is popped off. She was busy grooming feathers that were impossible to reach, acutally she cannot groom at all with the double collar, anyway she was a busy girl sitting on her playstand checking out the feathers beneath her wings when in one move she reached under her collar ( the bottom one ) and pulled off in one huge piece her scab and began going for the fresh healthy pink skin! I had called my daughter to come help me and she was on her way. I had tried to put that plastic collar on but you need someone to stretch her neck and someone else to put it on. I tried a couple of times and caused her discomfort both times. She is still so good and forgives as soon as I tell her I am sorry.
She was great with my daughter and let us put that plastic collar back on her.
I will put a t-shirt like you have fashioned this weekend after her BIG bath with both collars off and my daughter her to help. My daughter was very uneasy with this little U2 at first but has started to soften toward her very much.
I am looking forward to giving her a break from this double collar. She has tender areas on both wings and an area on her neck.
I will be so pleased if she can stay out of that double collar on the days I don't work----------which are many, and wear a soft t-shirt on most days.
Thanks so much for the patterns.

#163228 - 04/28/08 06:53 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
luv my Coco bean Offline
luv my Coco bean  Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
I really hope she keeps the t-shirt on for you. It took a couple of tried for Coco to accept it. If I need to put it on her now, from time to time, she actually helps me. She sits really still, and lifts her wings so I can tie it up. I think she understands that it's there to help her. Of course, I always put it on while telling her what a good girl she is, and how beautiful she will look once her feathers grow in, or her wounds heal etc....
good luck, please let me know how it's going. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Yvonne
@--\---
#163747 - 05/03/08 05:27 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Wow!
Little Lovely, (temporary name until her name makes itself known), has made it through the night with her tie-dyed t-shirt intact.
Last night, with my daughter visiting, in case I needed to put that awful collar on that is causing the tops of her wings to bleed, I took both collars off and put a t-shirt on in one quick move. She did not have a minute to touch her healed chest. I had been sizing and making t-shirts through the day and had explained to Lovely everything I had planned to do including the much needed bath. When I put her, with her t-shirt on, into the bath tub she started to shake in terror. We told her we loved her and that no one would hurt her and she stopped trembling. She has a profound fear of the spray bottle. I believe someone has used it to "teach her a lesson" because as soon as she sees it she "comes undone". I poured water over her little body and sprayed, while reassuring her of her safety, her pretty face. When I wrapped her in a towel she dropped her head onto my arm and went to sleep. After a little rest the three of us set about to remove years of matted down. I put a dry t-shirt (blue, t-dyed) on her and she continued working preening herself. She did try to mess with the top of her t-shirt to get at her chest area so we put that small plastic ball-type collar back on. It keeps her beak away from the top of her t-shirt. It is nothing compared to that awful full collar that she had to wear in addition to the ball-plastic-type one.
I said a prayer and put her to bed and checked on her a couple of times and she was doing just fine.
This morning her t-shirt is without a tear. This is so wonderful. I will make her some with a denim patch to re-inforce the chest area for the times I am working.
Thank you so much.
We are so very fond of her little feathered self and look forward to the day that she makes a happy sound. She almost laughed a couple of times and she says "hi honey" in a soft little voice in greeting. That first day I met her in her terrified state she loudly repeated "I love you", over and over in a pitiful attempt that seemed to beg not to be hurt. She broke my heart. Feathers are starting to grow back around her beak which is a surprise because I thought those were too damaged to ever grow back. We can still see her ears, but she has enough feathers close to her beak now that she can fluff up as she naps with a foot toy in her mouth on her play stand. The feathers are all chewed up on her wings and she has none on her tail. She gained 70 gms in less than a week her first week with me. She ate day and night, eating THIRTY Harrison pellets with each round! I have a Rotti and she is expensive to keep fed but the volume of Harrison's this little Too was eating was like 100 a day! She no longer eats all through the night and eats Harrison's in a much smaller amount------like normal. Her vet said "Groceries seems to have been a big problem for her".
She does not fall off her perches anymore and I think this is because her feet had to adjust from whatever she managed to cling to when living with those macaws.
Again, thanks so much for the support. I was a little overwhelmed
in the beginning and started to think I had taken on something that I did not have the experience to handle but with all the support I recieved from you all I have been able to give Lovely a safe place to land.

#163748 - 05/03/08 05:38 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Wow sounds as if you are making enormous headway with Lovely! Congratulations on such a job well done. I'm so happy for Lovely to have found such a safe haven in your care. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#163762 - 05/03/08 07:33 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: BE2Cassie]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
What a heart-warming and uplifting post, Desertrain!! God sent this little angel to the right person! Bless you for giving her such a wonderful home!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#163765 - 05/03/08 08:46 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: MissYumYum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Awww I'm glad she's making progress. It's amazing how much lots of TLC and a good diet/environment can turn some of these creatures around. You're doing a fantastic job - you should be proud of her and yourself!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#163781 - 05/04/08 01:59 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: EchosMom]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Wow--you are a real trooper! Sometimes we don't know what we are capable of until we are tested! Good show!

Donna
Free as a bird???
#163795 - 05/04/08 03:28 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
A beautiful update. Thank you very much for sharing. Keep up the good work, Lovely! smile

#163804 - 05/04/08 05:47 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Charlie]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
Thank you for rescuing this darling little angel. Your story brought tears. She deserves to share her life with you. Bless you. Good work Lovely!!
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#163813 - 05/04/08 07:18 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Ladyhutch]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
It is great that the t-shirt is working!! Congratulations on your progress and gosh she really lucked out to have met you.

This post reminded me of the very reason why I have always felt so compelled to adopt--both human and animal. Thanks laugh

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#163839 - 05/04/08 04:59 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: belle-ville]  
hollipop Offline
hollipop  Offline

ENGLAND!
nice to see a happy post! In reply to what type of collar casey was in, it was a plastic round collar with a hole in the middle and a split in the side to get it over her head, in the pic you can see plasters (band aids) on it, that was to try get it a little more comfortable. On the front there was a popper, not sure what you call them over there, to stop her removing it. I tried with the tee shirt, but to no avail. Heres hoping she keeps it one, my fingers are crossed for you both!

I am a bird: can you question that I am any less human than you?
#163840 - 05/04/08 05:05 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: hollipop]  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Thank you for such a wonderful update!

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#163863 - 05/05/08 01:01 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: hellobaby]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Definately great to hear tremendous progress! Keep up the awesome work!

Gail
#163909 - 05/05/08 03:01 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Bird Mom]  
luv my Coco bean Offline
luv my Coco bean  Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
I'm so happy to hear that the t-shirt is working...it has to be alot more comfy for Lovely !! You've done a great job with her, and I'm sure she'll just continue to florish with all of your love and support ! Way to Go !!!!

Yvonne
@--\---
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny