Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 9 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#162312 - 04/19/08 11:13 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Brandy's mom]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
I don't know her well enough to know if she will be okay with another name. I don't like her name because I think it has brought her misfortune, however, she has been "Lily" for twelve years and if she does not want another name I will respect her wishes.
She was pulling my leg about not being able to eat pellets or drink water with this double collar on.
My avian vet said that her experience being caged with macaws would be "like you or me being locked in a cage with big, angry, adult chimpanzees coming at us all day".
I think she is beautiful and her feathers are growing in on her face.
I will move to another thread now. Thank you so much for your support. I know she is happy to be safe. She only speaks in a soft voice so far.

#162320 - 04/19/08 11:58 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Brandy's mom]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
Gee Desertrain, you are just an angel! I can't even type because I'm teared up! Best of luck with what you decide is best for her.

Donna
Free as a bird???
#162350 - 04/20/08 06:14 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Donnalee]  
stina3246 Offline
stina3246  Offline

Florida
Desertrain, bless you for helping and loving this poor bird. I think if you choose to change her name she'll be fine. I did with both my birds to give them a new start but let them use thier original names if they want to. My U2 was named Baby when we got him. We changed his name to Baby Troy (for Cowboy Troy because he seems to love the music) This way we can refer to him as Troy but he still hears the name Baby. He's my Baby bird but he has now gotten used to and responds to Troy as well. We've had him about 2 years. He actually refers to himself as Birdy. My B&G came with the name Tuki but we switched to Aztec and call him Aztuki. We refer to him as Aztec but he still calls himself Tuki so we use it as his nickname.
As an aside-we got a Quaker parrot who had no name so we named him Hamlet. He calls himself Ham Ham. It's adorable!

#162363 - 04/20/08 07:44 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: stina3246]  
couragee Offline
Lives Here
couragee  Offline
Lives Here

stockton, ca
Are there pix yet?

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before improving the world. Anne Frank
#162375 - 04/20/08 11:44 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: couragee]  
hollipop Offline
hollipop  Offline

ENGLAND!
Desertrain, Casey the Goffin came to me in a collar. With the collar on she couldnt fly, couldnt move very well, and indeed was a very pitiful sight. I cried many a river because I thought she was never going to be free is this contraption, she was only four and had been in the collar for at least a year that I know of. She was a plucker and a mutilator, for me the issue was trying to wean her out of the collar, because as soon as it was taken off, off she went again. It took quite a few months, but in november the collar came off for good. She still plucks, but no mutilating. She doesnt mind that she is naked, I dont mind that she is naked, but we are both happier that she hasnt got the dreaded collar on and has stopped picking her skin. Its not easy, and sometimes you might feel so low about it, but that doesnt mean thereisnt hope
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd159/hollie3011/casey.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd159/hollie3011/DSC00086.jpg

I am a bird: can you question that I am any less human than you?
#162521 - 04/21/08 07:20 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: couragee]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Working on pictures. I've got to figure out my camera that I bought in Nov. first.
She now has feathers around her beak and can fluff them around her beak.
She is napping on her playstand with a loofah sponge in her mouth. It's like a pacifier thing.
She loves bananas too. She wiggled her tail feathers the first time I offered her apples.
Her feathers are so ragged. She comes apart with a spray even when I spray myself first and just let the mist fall on her. I tried again last evening and she fell off her perch onto her back because of the double collar. I helped her up and told her I was sorry and cupped her pretty face in my hands while she closed her eyes and stayed still. I felt awful, but plan to try putting her into the bath tub with some water (her feet are just filthy) when I have someone over to help with the collar contraption. She is gaining weight so I HAVE to figure the collar out. I am going to put velco on it when I get it off. It has staples now from the vet. With velco it could easily be adjusted without such a production.

#162522 - 04/21/08 07:22 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: hollipop]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Hollipop, what kind of collar is that? I am confused by it. I am trying to get as many ideas as possible on the types that are available.

#162526 - 04/21/08 07:56 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
I am going to put velco on it when I get it off. It has staples now from the vet. With velco it could easily be adjusted without such a production. [/quote]

Forget the velcro! The glue is a problem to the birds. I can't seem to find the post right now but will continue looking.

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#162537 - 04/21/08 09:12 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Brandy's mom]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
I just talked to the vet's tech who said to forget the velco, "If it's easy for you to take off, you can bet she will be able to take it off".
Going tomorrow to the vet for re-adjustment and the teaching I needed in the beginning. They were very busy when I was last there and my vet was PO'd about the other vet and I think he let him emotions screw his and my day up because he is excellent and I know normally he would never have neglected the teaching part. He has called my home twice but I was so PO'd about not knowing what I am doing with regard to this collar system that I just could not talk to him. I am now over it and can problem solve now.

#162787 - 04/23/08 06:48 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
luv my Coco bean Offline
luv my Coco bean  Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
Desertrain, Coco was a mutilator when I got her. She had a fairly big whole in her chest. I made t-shirts for her. After tearing the first one off, I put another one on her, and she kept it on. I reinforced the front so it was two layers, just to make sure she couldn't bite through it easily. I found the thickest cotten t-shirt I had, and made the t-shirts for her. It took a few months, but she is without a shirt now, and doesn't bite her skin anymore. She still plucks feathers, but it's getting better slowly as well. She may be happier with a t-shirt than a collar....just a thought.

Yvonne
@--\---
#162863 - 04/24/08 06:32 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
jeepgurl Offline
jeepgurl  Offline

I have been reading everything on this chat thing that I can about 2's since May 1st is rapidly approaching (when I pick up my first U2...Sputnick)

It seems that plucking and mutilating is a big issue with U2's, and I'd like to know if that is something I should worry about. In the shelter I did see several others that were bald and beautiful, so that wouldnt bother me but the mutilating would scare the duty outta me! When I had my CAG and he was so sickly, he did pluck but I have no experience with mutilation. Are there signs that the plucking is going to occur and once the plucking has started are there signs that its going to turn into mutilation? I'm sorry to sound so stupid, but you guys all seem so knowledgeable with 2's and I would love any advice.

I have another bird as well, an orange winged amazon, so if Sputnick were to start this plucking business, would KeeWee see that and think its a cool thing to do and start herself?

Thanks in advance

Terri

#162885 - 04/24/08 04:10 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
luv my Coco bean do you have pictures of the t-shirt? I've looked for information about the t-shirt you made and I cannot find a picture or directions. Did you ever try the sock "thing----"?
How old is Coco?
I'm going to take this double thing off this weekend when my daughter is here to help with that plastic ball getting it back on, and attempt to give this little U2 a much needed bath in the bath tub and I have to get those nails trimmed that are awful and I think part of her reason for falls.
I want to put a t-shirt on her so badly. I work a couple of days a week and on those days she will have to wear the armor but when I'm not working she should wear something soft.

#162886 - 04/24/08 04:24 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: jeepgurl]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
jeepgurl plucking is the start of trouble. If nothing is done to solve the problem to stop the cycle, often the bird goes on to the next distructive behavior which is mutilation. There are many reasons, some physical, most emotional, nutition, illness, sadness, madness.
U2's seem to have the most problems,usually poorly brought up and raised by a stupid human who did not research the needs of the feathered soul he failed so horridly.

#162889 - 04/24/08 06:19 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
jeepgurl Offline
jeepgurl  Offline

Desertrain...So assuming that Sputnick has never shown problems in that area, with proper information, diet, socialization, and keeping him busy with toys etc, there is a chance that I can avoid this right?

I have heard that u2's need to be kept occupied so they dont get bored, even more so than other parrots. I started making my own toys (with bird safe materials), have a large cage for him, and have tried very hard to do as much research as I can. The shelter where I am adopting him is absolutely wonderful, one woman in particular takes calls anytime, and is willing to help in any way possible. I am hoping and praying that with their help, and all the help I have received from reading this website that Sputnick and I will have a wonderful relationship and that he will not turn to plucking and mutilation.

Thanks alot for all the advice you all have given me without even knowing it, just by posting different stuff.

Terri

#162891 - 04/24/08 06:32 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: jeepgurl]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
There is no guarentee any of our birds will not pluck.Sometimes it happens not because of impropper care but because they do not loose the desire to be wild and resort to plucking.Many members have had their birds from chicks and gave them the most desirable of homes in captivity but it is being in captivity that has created this monster.Of course the more you give the hopes are they will not turn this way.If your bird does pluck you can not take it personal.It just happens sometimes and it is out of our control.That is why we are all here.To help the cockatoos who suffer in captivity.

A friend of mine has a plucking cockatoo and really they have done everything they know of for this poor gal and she still plucks.They have read all there is to read and so many vet appointments later and still the little one plucks.They have just come to accept it and try to move on.They love her no matter nakid or feathered.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#162893 - 04/24/08 06:39 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Janny]  
jeepgurl Offline
jeepgurl  Offline

Thanks Janny, I appreciate it. I will do everything in my power to give Sputnick a safe and loving home. I hope we dont have to deal with that down the line, but if we do...we will. I'll do whatever it takes. I am so excited about picking him up on the first weekend of May, I hope he adjusts as well. Thanks again

Terri

#162911 - 04/24/08 11:26 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: jeepgurl]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Yes, I did not mean to make it sound as though there is one reason for plucking, mutilation.
Avoiding sexual stimulation and not confusing them with a mate relationship, I think, would give them a better chance for a good life.
Too's just are not meant to be pets. They are not good at it at all. I think of myself as sharing my home with a couple of feathered creatures. I am the provider, maid, psych care-taker, entertainer, cook, toy-maker, nurse,etc.
And I just love them. They are beautiful.

#162963 - 04/25/08 03:55 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
luv my Coco bean Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
Desertrain..Coco is 9 years old. Here's a picture of her in the t-shirt, and a progression picture of how well it worked. There's also a picture of the t-shirt design, so you'll know how to cut the material. I cut the ties really long at first, and then trim them once I've got it on her. Please let me know if it works for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed!!!

Yvonne
@--\---
#162964 - 04/25/08 04:40 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: luv my Coco bean]  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Here are a few pictures of my U2 Lilly and what she has done on occasion to herself. I have also added pictures of her in her T-Vest. It has done wonders for her. We still have to use it during certain times, but not all year.

Bless you for helping this little guy. Best of luck to you. Kim

Lilly plucking/mutilating wounds

Lilly in T-Vest

#162966 - 04/25/08 05:24 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Kim & Lilly]  
luv my Coco bean Offline

Toronto Ontario Canada
that's awesome! Lily even let the feathers on her legs grow back! Coco hasn't done that yet...well, she let the right side grow, but not the left ! She mostly plucks on her left side...the side that was injured. She's blind on that side, and had a broken left wing that wasn't re-set properly.
I'm so proud of Lily, that wound looked really bad at the beginning! She looks fabulous now !! way to go, you did great work with her!!

Yvonne
@--\---
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny