Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 9 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#161767 - 04/14/08 09:43 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
Ah, Darn! I've just read this and sitting here crying! I pray this sweet little U2 is able to go home with you and forgives the human race for their injustices to her! Bless You!, DesertRain, for wanting to care for her! Hope WE all get good news tomorrow!

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
#161773 - 04/15/08 12:08 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Brandy's mom]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Deserttrain, I doubt you know this, but I had a little budgie, (Beefur, as in B for budgie) He was a rehome, cos he didnt 'look right'. I had him well bird checked as I always did, and because of his 'looks' he was tested for PBFD. First test was negative. I felt the need to push, as he was in the same building (my home) as my other rescued/rehomed friends. Strictly Q'd, as i did with all newcomers. I pushed, second test came positive. I went thru hell, finding beefur a safe 'only bird' home, spent much money that went well beyond what I could afford in cleansing my home of 'disease' by professionals, then repeated tests on all my other inhabitants, just in case... I later learned of 'false positive' tests, and had feathers retested. NEGATIVE. Red mite was the cause of the feather loss, nothing more, nothing less. Beefur died in his new home, but NOT to PBFD. To a cat attack frown And I, in my hopefull trust of keeping this tiny little bird alive, with hope, placed him in the home that would kill him. NOT pbfd, a poor, but well meant choice on my part. I would urge ANYBODY to have not ONE test done, but THREE. False positives DO occur, as I know to my great pain, and the death of a little red mite bird, that needent have died. (had I not rehomed him frown )
I am not saying take a pbfd test lightly, what I am saying is check, double check, and check again.
I hope this reply dosent offend, but Ive NEVER quite cone to terms with the fact that assuming the worst actually cost my little Beefur his life. Not through disease, but through a cat.
Please, double, treble check, JUST in case.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#161853 - 04/15/08 06:54 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: wishfull]  
sandiego Offline
Lives Here
sandiego  Offline
Lives Here

San Diego, CA
I am waiting to hear about the test results!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samantha
&
Kahlua
#161914 - 04/16/08 04:19 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: sandiego]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Negative!!!!!
Got the call this PM just before the vet office closed which means I cannot pick her up until the morning which is probably okay since I still need to get her a home.
I am putting her playstand together now so she will have something to sit on while I put her home together since I will shop for her home and then head to the vet's office to pick her up in the morning.

#161927 - 04/16/08 06:54 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
Dirtpilot Offline
Dirtpilot  Offline

Victoria, Australia
Oh WOW!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

That is great news, she will be so loved with you!!

Some things are just meant to be...!!!

Keep us updated and take some pics would love to see her!!!

PBFD is a huge thing here in Australia and it kills me to see these poor innocent birds go through what they do because of it!

Kind regards
JACKIE
Cookie- GSC2, Buddy- GSC2, Mofo- W.A Galah,

I'ts the simple things in life...
#161967 - 04/16/08 03:11 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Dirtpilot]  
Cassie's_girl Offline
Lives Here
Cassie's_girl  Offline
Lives Here

Wisconsin, USA
What great news, I've been keeping an eye on this and hoping for the best!

~ Nikki

The strongest of all warriors are these two Time and Patience. -Leo Tolstoy
#161970 - 04/16/08 03:23 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Cassie's_girl]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Desertrain thats fantastic news. She's going to be a very happy girl when she gets to see where she will be living now. Congratulations! Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#161973 - 04/16/08 03:34 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Heide1 Offline
Lives Here
Heide1  Offline
Lives Here

Port Charlotte, FL
God love you Desertrain, for loving and caring for this little precious and deserving life. That's just wonderful about the negative result!

Heide
"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." (Aesop)
#161990 - 04/16/08 06:17 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Heide1]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
I am sooo happy for you Deserttrain!!!! Now this sweet bird's life will open into a whole new and wonderful chapter with you and your family!!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#161995 - 04/16/08 06:35 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: MissYumYum]  
LeAnn Offline
LeAnn  Offline

YEAH!!!!! I am so happy for her! (and you) Congrats!

Kerr&Rumor
#162031 - 04/16/08 10:16 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: LeAnn]  
Chico's Mom Offline
Chico's Mom  Offline

I'm so glad this has a happy ending and a beautiful beginning for you both!

#162042 - 04/16/08 11:35 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Chico's Mom]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
YES!!! grin
Sharon

Last edited by Ladyhutch; 04/16/08 11:36 PM.

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#162043 - 04/16/08 11:41 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Ladyhutch]  
Donnalee Offline
Lives Here
Donnalee  Offline
Lives Here

Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm SOOO happy for you two! That is a v-e-r-y lucky 2 to have you!! Rain will enjoy the company. : )

Donna
Free as a bird???
#162056 - 04/17/08 02:01 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Donnalee]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
Awesome!!!! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!!!!!!!!!

Karen, Lucy and Pina

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#162059 - 04/17/08 02:42 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Lucy's Mom]  
kookytoo Offline
kookytoo  Offline

Northern California
That sure sounds great Desertrain; how wonderful that she'll be going to such a caring person smile

kookytoo's mom, Ms.Mary
#162088 - 04/17/08 09:00 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: kookytoo]  
CookiesDad Offline
CookiesDad  Offline

Saudi Arabia
YEAY!!! laugh

#162109 - 04/17/08 06:51 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: CookiesDad]  
Java_One Offline
Java_One  Offline

Hawaii
I have been watching this thread holding my breath, and now I can say CONGRATULATIONS and bless your heart for being such a loving person. I cannot wait to hear how this little one thrives under your care. She deserves such a loving home as yours after all her years of torment. Miracles do happen.

#162179 - 04/18/08 04:14 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Java_One]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
Good job!! A new adventure!

Gail
#162277 - 04/19/08 05:31 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Bird Mom]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
I want to thnak everyone for their kinds words and thoughts.
The little U2 came home Wednesday after I bought a cage, set it up (pant, pant),and hung a toy.
She had thrived in solitary confinement---------did not mutilate the whole eight days in the room in a crate. The vet said he was convinced it was nutritional and now that she is on Harrison's she will do well. Yeah, well you and I know better.
She is twelve and mutilated for years. I just think it was such a relief to be safe that she really liked it. As soon as she was brought out she burrowed her head deeply into me but as soon as she was in any other position she went for that horrid area on her chest. I kept drawing the vet tech's attention to this and he smiled and sprayed her with Avi Soother and said "she really likes this."
So home we went with a promise to return the first of the week for more labs. I just wanted out of there so I could get her to my avian vet for labs and whatever else she needed.
By Wednesday night her chest was open and there was blood on her beak------------it is really hard to not pay attention to this but I gave no notice and kept from throwing up. She is like a little psych patient who needs minimal stimulation. Everything is too much. She saw her new cage and put herself in it and began playing and chewing on her new toy with a bite at her chest with each activity of play. She ate like pig and chewed her chest in between each pellet. I thought maybe being out of the cage would help her so I tried the playstand and that was way too much for her so back to her cage with half of it covered.
She has not met the dogs and they have been very quiet.
Thursday I called ( he is not in his office on Wednesday or I would have gone directly there)my avian vet and told them she had to be seen NOW or she would soon be eating her heart so she was seen at ten and got the collar, actually two collars cause she reached right down with the first and got busy at that area.
She got labs drawn and an injection of antibiotics. She was very PO'd at me and very mad at the collar. I think the people who dumped her at the rescue took off whatever device they had on her before leaving her, because she is one who will probably always need some sort of collar. I knew this when I first saw her. I learned from this site. She had an awful time, chewing at the collar and falling from her perch and stomping. I felt awful for her. I just bet she had not been without some kind of collar device for years and she was having fun chewing and climbing and eating. She has an awful time with eating. I hold her pellets and she carefully eats them. She loves apples. I almost took the collar off. I thought she was choking. Today she is resigned to this and sat for hours on her perch, not chewing on toys, depressed. This evening she let me know she wanted out and I put her on her playstand and she was great------she can hold toys and played and was comfortable checking the area out. She eats great, hates spray bottle, must have had bad experience with this cause she freaks out (she is filthy), she lets me wipe her beak. She wanted to bite me yesterday but did not. She makes a sound like a transistor radio static that had me looking for something in the house.
I thought this was going to be too much because I will need to find a better collar system and maybe she needs someone who knows so much about collars. I don't want to hurt her and she is not going to put up with me trying out things, then I had a brain storm-------I can use Rain as my model to try out different things when her wound heals. She gets Silvadene to that wound.
If she will get better care with a rescue group I know in Tucson she will go there. They are so knowledgeable and have told me that I am over my head with a U2. If I decide to take her I must do it this weekend. I don't want her too comfortable and uprooted again. I want to do what is right for her. She should have gone to this great rescue group in Tucson instead of the pretend rescue where she was left. I rescued her from a rescue.

#162301 - 04/19/08 04:19 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
Brandy's mom Offline
Lives Here
Brandy's mom  Offline
Lives Here

W. Tennessee
So! Have you decided on a name yet? Her close call with a deadly disease makes me think of the name, Miriam. I'm just so happy for you and her!

Man has turned Earth into a hell for animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny