Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 32 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#160795 - 04/09/08 05:25 AM Just Slap Me  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
I have been volunteering with a couple of rescue groups-------helping them move today-------last night got an email asking if I would be intersted in this little U2-----------there is room at the Inn, though I have not been looking-------so I met her today--------------in all her plucked glory, hole in her chest at the area of her crop, feathers pulled off on both sides of her beautiful face, she reaching, trying to give kisses------six years old, never bite anyone, spent her first four years in a rusted cage, the last two years outside in an aviary with two Macaws who attacked her often-------------------says "I love you", leans her beautiful head against my chest, closes her eyes, pulls one and then the other foot up deep into her body, so skinny, came with some seed crap, wants to give kisses ----- I love Too's but not at my face, though everyone including the vet and the vet tech let her kiss them on the mouth-------sick-----sick------pretty little Too---------I was told I could just take her home from the rescue-----------she looked like an emergency to me so instead of moving that rescue we took her to the vet ----------she only just arrived at the rescue this AM-----I was told she was healthy and all up to date--------------ummmmm------------------------euthanasia;"bringing about of a gentle death in the case of incurable and painful disease"-----did you say PBFD? The rescue is short money-------------my mind is swimming with thoughts--------thank God I insisted that she travel in a carrier instead of the gentle loving arms of a rescue person----although that is what I wanted for her too-----I just thought maybe she would be better off in the-----who knows--------I'm just glad of this one stupid thing--------I am contaminated and almost brought this illness to Rain-----Okay let's at least do the PBFD test to be so very sure--------she is in isolation at the vets, they may get results before seven days, if they do they will call me, $250 at the very least------no do not visit every day-------too much risk to Rain-----------they will make sure she eats--------they really hope she get lucky -------she is such a sweet -------------------

#160796 - 04/09/08 05:35 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
kookytoo Offline
kookytoo  Offline

Northern California
>>>SMACK<<< (((((Desertrain)))))

p.s.
Lol ... I'm assuming, of course, that you know your name between (...) means hugs, right? You're not crazy ...

kookytoo's mom, Ms.Mary
#160806 - 04/09/08 05:49 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: kookytoo]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
OMG destertrain, please update as soon as you know. I would be HEARTBROKEN as well!

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#160822 - 04/09/08 06:13 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: belle-ville]  
pixy_stix Offline
pixy_stix  Offline

I almost don't want to ask, but what is PBFD?

Poor little bird. frown

#160823 - 04/09/08 06:13 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: belle-ville]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Unfortunately, for this little Too, I have had my miracle when I got Rain back home safe and sound.
I would now like to go sit under a blanket.

#160828 - 04/09/08 06:22 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
kookytoo Offline
kookytoo  Offline

Northern California
PBFD is a hideous disease/viral infection that kills birds ... and is very contagious ... she could have passed it on to Rain from the poor little sickly bird frown

PBFD = psittacine beak and feather disease

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=15&cat=1829&articleid=2592

Last edited by kookytoo; 04/09/08 06:23 AM. Reason: added link

kookytoo's mom, Ms.Mary
#160832 - 04/09/08 06:29 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: kookytoo]  
pixy_stix Offline
pixy_stix  Offline

frown damn. I hope the diagnosis is wrong.

#160847 - 04/09/08 06:55 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: pixy_stix]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
This is why quarantine is so very important--------always-----labs and quarantine always--------no matter what anyone says or what your little heart says-------quarantine.
I have learned so much about the differences in rescues too, however, because I received so much help------they kept me going when I was searching for Rain-------from this rescue I was trying to give back even though I was very uncomfortable with their risky ( I felt) intake of rescues, sometimes (often), not getting labs and just placing a rescue with the others------a nightmare waiting to happen, I thought---------but thought I------do they not know more then I know?????? They have been in this rescue work for years-----------A NIGHTMARE WAITING TO HAPPEN.

Last edited by Desertrain; 04/09/08 06:56 AM. Reason: spelling error
#160853 - 04/09/08 07:06 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Let us know what happens. I hope this bird does not have PBFD

#160862 - 04/09/08 07:26 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: rockinseattle]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
And I would like to go to that #@!###woman's house, who kept this little Too for the past two years and dumped her today at the rescue, and rip her chest open and pull her heart out and jump on it and then shove it back into her #@$##%chest------------------------Thank you so much for being here and listening to me---------if I ever look at another rescue please SLAP ME!!

#160877 - 04/09/08 08:13 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
I am so sorry you have to go through this. Your lesson is one that will not soon be forgotten by anyone here. We shall pray for this little bird and pray the diagnosis is not the dreaded PBFD.
And as I was reading what you would like to do to the previous owner, I felt how good it would be to do something like that to someone who would let the birds condition get so bad. Humans are so heartless!!!! I could just scream!!
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#160892 - 04/09/08 01:26 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Ladyhutch]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Bless your heart, Deserttrain, you have a heart of gold!! I will pray that this precious one does not have that dreaded disease! I agree with Ladyhutch -my sentiments exactly!! Please don't be hard on yourself - your kindness will be rewarded. I do so hope you can take this little girl home!

Annette

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#160899 - 04/09/08 01:49 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: MissYumYum]  
umbimom Offline
umbimom  Offline

central PA
Deserttrain, Bless you for being their with that little precious one. Hopefully everything turns out ok and you can give her a loving home. What you wanted to do to the lady who had her, I would agree to help you. Keep us posted. Hugs and prayers coming at you. Sharon

#161037 - 04/10/08 01:27 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: umbimom]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Things look hopeful now-------------the lady who turned this little U2 into the rescue called and was more truthful about the history. She also claims to rescue horses, so she spends money, you just know it, on vet care. This U2 is now reported to be twelve or sixteen and has NEVER seen a vet. She was once loved and cared for with her first owner who got too old and had too many birds and gave them to a neighbor and died shortly after. That must be where this little Too leaned to say "I love you." This last awful person claims she rescued the Too from those people four years ago and that this Too had a hole in her chest then and that those people had used a milk carton cut in half with a slit in it on her neck with duck tape to secure it and this caused her wings to droop, and much damage to the feathers. When she got the Too she put her out with her Macaws and said she thought the Too would learn to fight back and added "The stupid bird never did." She was reported to have cried during some point of this story saying she really wanted the Too to have a nice home.
When the vet first saw the condition of the feathers and the plucked damage to the face and sides of her head he said she could not have done all that damage and that the feathers were so damaged this led him to highly suspect the nightmare PBFD. Now considering her just awful years of misery there is great hope she may come to my home and she and I will find a fine name for her because her life is going to be so very different and I will be sure she has someone to love and care for her when I am no longer on this earth in this form.
I feel so much better. I could not sleep last night. She almost had her life ended yesterday because this woman lied about her history.

#161041 - 04/10/08 01:46 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
kookytoo Offline
kookytoo  Offline

Northern California
Well ... I guess it's good that she finally gave a truer history; what idiot would put a little bitty Goffins in with a couple of Macaws and think *that* would turn out well?!? The one that was stupid was her, not the little 'too ... what a bonehead!

>>>heavy sigh<<< People can be incredibly obtuse ...

kookytoo's mom, Ms.Mary
#161063 - 04/10/08 05:10 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: kookytoo]  
pixy_stix Offline
pixy_stix  Offline

I echoed the heavy sigh. That bird needs some love and stability in her life.

#161066 - 04/10/08 05:40 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: kookytoo]  
charlieandme Offline
Lives Here
charlieandme  Offline
Lives Here

Most people that claim to rescue horses don't, apparently the same is true for birds.

entiendo.etsy.com
#161696 - 04/14/08 07:30 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: charlieandme]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
Everyone please say a prayer for this Too that her test comes back negative. She has suffered so much in her twelve years with humans that I will not be able to handle bad results. I want to bring her home so badly. The results should be back Monday or Tuesday. It just makes me sick that she is in a room alone at the vets.
When I first saw her I just wanted to hold her and tell her "I am so sorry" and cry.

#161714 - 04/14/08 10:59 AM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: Desertrain]  
luvmy2albert Offline
luvmy2albert  Offline

Granger, IN
I'll say a prayer and so will Albert. He knows all too well what it's like to be STUCK, hopelessly in a cage. He was lucky though...no health problems. We are very sorry but we are glad that the little angel is in your care now.

"Saving one dog won't change the world, but surely the world will change for that one dog."
#161766 - 04/14/08 09:27 PM Re: Just Slap Me [Re: luvmy2albert]  
Desertrain Offline
Desertrain  Offline

Arizona
No results on labs today. The vet tech called the lab and was told they need seven working days so hopefully the results will be back tomorrow or Wednesday. They said she has not touched that wound on her chest since arriving. She does not have a collar on just gets that AVIX BIRD RAIN spray twice a day. I really think she is so relieved to be in a safe place, not being attacked by macaws all day.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny