Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Topic Options
#160317 - 04/05/08 07:52 PM bird mites
BillyandAnne Offline

Does anyone know the best way to get rid of bird mites? Like what is the best stuff to buy etc etc....?

#160318 - 04/05/08 07:55 PM Re: bird mites [Re: BillyandAnne]
EchosMom Offline

Chained to the Computer

Loc: Florida, USA
That is a very good question...for your avian vet! wink

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Project Perry, Inc., The Central Virginia Parrot Sanctuary
Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

#160319 - 04/05/08 08:03 PM Re: bird mites [Re: EchosMom]
jenscritters Offline

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: EchosMom
That is a very good question...for your avian vet! wink

I agree. The stuff that typicaly works the best can only be applied (or injected) by your vet. Your vet will also know the specific type of mite and any health issues your bird has. Your bird may not be able to tolerate the typical treatment. Mites should only be treated by a vet.

#160320 - 04/05/08 08:22 PM Re: bird mites [Re: BillyandAnne]
Desertrain Offline

Loc: Arizona
Please see an avian vet for this problem. There are old treatments that cause horrid harm to the bird. Please be very careful.

#160325 - 04/05/08 09:15 PM Re: bird mites [Re: Desertrain]
BE2Cassie Offline

Chained to the Computer

Loc: Wrentham, MA
Very good advise given! What ever you do don't buy the stuff to hang on the cage it's deadly for birds. See the avian vet.
Nancy

#161282 - 04/10/08 11:32 PM Re: bird mites [Re: BE2Cassie]
itzazu2u Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Not long ago (6 weeks) I brought home a pathetic little parakeet with a severe case of mites. I also brought home her little friend who was feeding her. (How could I not bring home Hope and Faith?) Hope was so weak and unhealthy I was concerned the standard protocol of Ivermectin would kill her, it is a very strong poison! I opted to try a less agressive aproach and used vaseline instead. I would take just a smidgen of vaseline on my fingers and massaged very thin film on to all feather free areas. I paid particular attention when working around the beak and cere. The over all difference has been nothing short of amazing. She has gained weight, her little beak has a natural gloss, and she is far more active. Although Faith has never shown any indications of having mites, I also treated her as well, in the same manner, and of course both of them have been in quarantine, and will remain as such for quite some time yet.

Now, bare in mind, ivermectin is only one of the drugs capable of killing heartworms in dogs. Dogs have been known to die as a result of the treatment! I didn't want to live with a case of the cure killing this little bird. Using the vaseline was time consuming and took much longer to smother out the mites, but it worked and Hope still lives! Given the state she was in, I doubt she would have survived being poisoned. For her, I made the right decision. Each and every case is different. Your bird is most likely healthier and has gotten far better care. I am sure there should be no concerns of using a more agressive approach. However, admittedly, Hope and Faith came from a pet store, yet I did not purchase them. I went in, told the owner he was going to work with me and I was going to give her a half decent chance of living. He handed her over to me without the slightest bit of hesitation. He didn't even charge me the full ransom for Faith, which I was ready to pay. Faith was feeding Hope, and the stress of bring her to a strange place alone, well, I just didn't think she needed any more stress than could be prevented. Look at her pictures and tell me I was wrong.

Hope when I brought her home...
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/itzazu2u/MiscPictures332.jpg

And here she is now, 6 weeks later...
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/itzazu2u/Moremiscpictures078.jpg

#161284 - 04/10/08 11:38 PM Re: bird mites [Re: itzazu2u]
Dirtpilot Offline

Loc: Victoria, Australia
Great transformation!! Well done

I'ts the simple things in life...

#161287 - 04/11/08 12:03 AM Re: bird mites [Re: BillyandAnne]
Charlie Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Loc: Covington, LA USA
You probably shouldn't be discussing treatment without a qualified diagnosis. I was discussing those "mite boxes" that Nancy mentioned with my vet and they surely are useless at best and dangerous at worst. He said that mites are more common on the small birds and rare in the larger species. Here is what Dr. Mike said on a previous question:

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=122362#Post122362

#161304 - 04/11/08 01:14 AM Re: bird mites [Re: Charlie]
jenscritters Offline

Loc: Texas
Someone on another bird recently had a bird die from scaly face mites. There are other kinds of mites birds can get, but scaly face mites are one of them. The poster was young and her parents wouldn't take her bird to the vet so she used home remedies. They also got spread to more of her birds and her friends birds. Had the bird gotten veterinary treatment, it may or may not have died. The point it, many animals being treated for things die, but they're being treated because they're sick. Illnesses in a bird should at the very least be diagnosed with your avian veterinarian. They should then be willing to discuss all of the treatment options available, including alternative treatments.

As far as the safety of ivermectin (a drug frequently used on birds)dogs rarely die from the drug. They usually die from the holes that the worms have created in their heart when they're treated too quickly.

Edited by jenscritters (04/11/08 02:12 AM)
Edit Reason: unnecessary stuff edited out

#161326 - 04/11/08 09:01 AM Re: bird mites [Re: jenscritters]
Desertrain Offline

Loc: Arizona
I've seen a bird in a rescue, where he will live the rest of his life with no vision, no hearing and multilple organ damage from Ivermectin treatment done by a breeder who would never spend a dime to help the feathered creatures he lives off of.
If you do not plan to take your birds to an avian vet for care please turn them into a rescue and buy plants.

#161432 - 04/11/08 10:02 PM Re: bird mites [Re: Desertrain]
itzazu2u Offline

Loc: South Carolina
For those of you who may be concerned I didn't take this little bird to the doctor, rest easy. I certainly took the advice of the certified avian vet who I take all my birds to.

Moderator:  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny