Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 97 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#157886 - 03/15/08 02:06 AM Cockatoo bites...  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Yesterday, I was in the hone of our Hollipop. I met her rehoned 'toos, and was in my element, despite the risk, it was, after all, just a day. I was bitten. I was bitten by a well known biter. Not a large too, a tiny goffins. At first, although it hurt somewhat, I didnt realise she had broken skin...then my palm felt warm... so yeh, she HAD meant business. This morning, I woke up, puzzled by the dull throb in my hand. The tiny too bite had had its impact! Photos to follow, mainly for HelloBaby to add to her bite site.
I was also introduced to the MOST loving, cuddly, 5 and a bit year old umbrella. He decided to 'kickoff' Now, just TWO minutes earlier, he gave me the THRILL of an Umbie snuggle. UNBELIEVABLE! Then as fast as you can say 'Kiss me bumbum,'' he was different! Thank GOD for this site! I would have seen that bobbing, wings out displaying, head bobbing as a sweet invite! He was quickly snuggled in a quilty and removed gently out of harms reach. But his carer, Holipop, KNEW trouble was coming. And she stopped it, gently, calmly and quickly.
I will load picks of the bite, and the next day follow up of the bite I esrned (being honest) from this Teeny little Too, so if anyone thinks too bites cant be that bad..... Well look at my hand the next day.
Do NOT underestimate these birds! The teenies (Goffins) the biggies (brollies). Did me a world of good meetimg Hollipops babies, and I met GENTLE birds.
(for those who are not familiar with toos, a Goffins is not much bigger than a tiel) My photos will show the difference in beak power.
Anyway, thats it really. Will upload pics tmoz most like;y. But for newbies with dreams, toos are WILD! Dont EVER kid yourself!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
#157925 - 03/15/08 12:37 PM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: wishfull]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Anne hope your hand isn't throbbing today. Got to love the little ones Cassie can pack wallop and of course little Miss Biddybe has given me the worst bite to date with the little hookbill tugging away like a little rat terrier! Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#157950 - 03/15/08 06:44 PM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: BE2Cassie]  
1wingwonder Offline
Lives Here
1wingwonder  Offline
Lives Here

Minneapolis, Minnesota
grin How nice you got to visit Hollipop, Anne! Great to meet a cyber pal face to face I imagine.
Golly what a bummer to get a Goffins bite. My G2 never seemed to give a nip, no sir re - always a bleeder bite. I feel for you Anne frown .

***Just as a reminder to anyone ever bit, or never been bit yet, keep site clean & re clean with any new band-aide application, bird bites are deep punctures & can become infected during healing process if not thorough enough.
Above happened 1 month ago to a newer bird club member, as he was ignoring different symptoms days later, his wife drug him off to the Doctor. Mark ended up having his finger opened, drained, stitched and then splinted for recovery, eek YUCK!! Just from his "loving" U2

#157954 - 03/15/08 06:58 PM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: 1wingwonder]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
mom2beebop
Unregistered

I recieved my second REAL BITE several days ago...from my sweet sweet Frankie girl who NEVER BITES, I had just told my BIL, she doesnt bite...go sit down and Ill bring her to you. I stuck my hand in her cage and said step up Frankie. The bite I recieved I will not soon forget. I bled thru an entire dish towel before I could even put a banaid on it, then went thru 4 or 5 band aids before I stopped bleeding. Days later my hand hurts worse now than it did then which is hard to believe cause I never felt a bite like that not even when Lucy bit me so badley! I have an incredible respect for a G2s beak! BTW the day after Frankie bit me, she laid an egg. LOL

#157960 - 03/15/08 07:16 PM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: wishfull]  
rockinseattle Offline
Lives Here
rockinseattle  Offline
Lives Here

Quote:
Cockatoo bites...
Hurt like the dickens cry
Hope your hand feels better soon.

#157963 - 03/15/08 07:26 PM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: ]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
This is why every Too owner needs to learn their Toos body langauge. Things to look for. Body becoming rigid. Glassy eyes. Feathers tightly clamped to body. These are the signs Kyu my U2 gives me when she is in a right state.

#157966 - 03/15/08 07:39 PM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: Elliott]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
mom2beebop
Unregistered

No kidding Elliott! I have become so comfortable with Frankie I dont think I even looked in the cage when I stuck my hand in there. I adiopted her a year ago...she has NEVER bitten me no matter what I was doing to her. You can bet your bottom dollar I will never blindly stick my hand inside her cage agian. I still trust her completley but I will be more respectful of her personal space from now on.

#157968 - 03/15/08 07:42 PM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: rockinseattle]  
2toos Offline
2toos  Offline

Maryland
Ouch, hope you are feeling better.
I think it is an important post- I have a D2 and an RB2- and they are very unpredictable. Snuggle one minute than wanting to bite the next- and you have to be able to read their body language. My Amazon, Grey and Eclectus are pretty predictable and you just know what to expect from them. With the toos, small or big- they can come out of no-where and just bite. Cuddling one minute, biting the next. And the small ones HURT. Never been bitten by an M2 or U2, but these smaller guys can make you bleed. I just think its important for everyone to know that a cockatoo is a cockatoo...no matter the size. Same personality traits- think thats important for anyone new coming on.

#158023 - 03/16/08 12:57 AM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: 2toos]  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Never say "never", right? Sorry to hear you took a bite, Anne. I hope it heals quickly. I know how it is. If you want to add to the bite page, let me know, and make sure you give all of us full details - like any body language you noticed (even if you realized it after-the-fact), what you were doing when it happened, etc. I think it's not only important that people see the end result, but know the story behind the bite. As always, I will link to the original post here pertaining to the bite.

If you must cripple a creature
to keep it, perhaps you should
reconsider its suitability as a pet.
#158030 - 03/16/08 02:01 AM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: hellobaby]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Here's the bite about one minute after it happened. Sure, it did hurt, but not madly, did make me squint my eyes though, lol!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/annekenyon/cockatoobite.jpg

And this is what i woke up to the next day. SHOCKED isnt the word! The bruising isnt as black as it looks on the photo, poor quality im afraid, but it was certainly a deep, nasty purple, and my whole hand hurt like hell. It was very difficult to use yesterday, but the swelling and tenderness is much better today. Maybe she just bit through a blood vessel or something? i dont know. Its a lot less tender today tho, sono doctors (You know mw and doctors...yukkie things they are, lol!) I guess I just reacted bad to the little bite, I dont think they usually come up like this do they?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/annekenyon/cockatoobitenextday.jpg

editing with more details re HB's request (sorry lynne, i didnt pay attention!)
Casey, the little Goffins is a little bugger, lol! She will stand on the side of her cage and streeeeeeeeeetch out to grab you with hr beak as you pass by. Poor Hollie has had numerous bites off her, and also got a nasty bruising bite the day casey nabbed me! My bite came about because Holie wanted little Casy to have some attention, so she let her sit on her wrist for a while. You just CANT neglect their needs for contact can you, you just cant. Anyway, despite knowing of Caseys temperament, i couldnt resist offering my arm.... DOH! Casey stepped straight on, and was FINE for a few seconds, to Holies and my delight. Next thing, that sweet little head went down, and that NOT so sweet little beak went in. Caseys fault? NO way! OUR fault, course it was!
Sorry Lynne, another edit. casey didnt show ANY signs that she was going to nail me,no feather change, no posture change that I had time to notice, BUT, I knew she was a biter, Id been well warned. It was literally a case of she stepped up, looked/seemed fine, then the head dipped.
Coco, the umbie, he just got bolshy, like showing off. Now he DID get hold of me a couple of times, but it was like,''Should I? Should I?'' But I toild him 'no, behave!'' (although I LOVED the feeling of his gorgeous tongue on my skin!) But, through reading here, I began to feel a bit nervous by his actions, his displaying, although it wasnt a full on display from what I have read by any means. But it seemed to be heading in that direction. I was very VERY glad when Hollie stepped in, snuggled him in her daughters little quilty coat, and removed him from where he could do harm. (ME, He was sat by my lap at said time smile ) So far, this loving, sweet natured U2 has not bitten whilst with Hollie, but Im pretty sure thats cos she reads him well and quickly, and acts accordingly. But OH! That huge white soft head snuggled under my chin. WHAT a feeling!

Last edited by wishfull; 03/16/08 02:28 AM.

#158031 - 03/16/08 02:06 AM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: wishfull]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Yikes! Anne that looks sore as the devil! It does look like she got the blood vessel. Hope it feels better soon. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#158035 - 03/16/08 02:30 AM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: wishfull]  
Chucki's Dad Offline
Lives Here
Chucki's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

NW Ohio
Thats pretty bad looking Anne, I would keep my eye on to make sure it doesn't get any worse - just a suggestion from a retired EMT-A. Its difficult to tell but looks like internal bleeding from blood vessel laceration. Probably nothing a Dr. could do about it anyway.

Chucki got me a year ago or a bit longer on the opposite side of the hand - my fault. I swear her beak went though both sides of my hand and met in the middle and I'm a pretty big guy. Hurt like heck for a few days but never looked like yours does.

So what did I learn about this bite since most bites are learning experiences? That if she is in her cage, sleepy looking and puffed up even if its morning and she isn't offering her foot to step-up, she doesn't want to be disturbed. Sometimes we are slow learners.

Mark and Chucki (FMM2)
#158036 - 03/16/08 02:35 AM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: BE2Cassie]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Its really not so bad today Nancy. The bruising has sort of spread and faded. I really was shocked when I got up yesterday, cos the original bit did NOT hurt anywhere near enough to produce a result like that. It was bloody sore yesterday though, all my lower arm ached, and if i forgot and went to grab something, it was the typical sharp intake of breath. Today, it just feels like a frssh bruise, slightly tender to pressure, but not hot and aching like yesterday. Im just glad it was little sweet Casey who knobbled me, and not big, huge hormonally Coco laugh But Coco does seem to have a VERY gentle, sweet nature. i guess that statement alone shows how much I have to learn.....
smile
Sorry mark, we must have posted together. But yeah, its much easier today, though the bruise is wider spread. I do tend to only attend mergency medical help if I go in on a stretcher, lol. Its the only way you'll get me there! Too many hypochondriacs (sp) clogging up the medical system, I dont want to add to that problem! Plus, despite the fact i can smile over a bite, and take it in my stride, the truth is i have an absolute DREAD of being hospitalised, or even just visiting the doctor. NOTHING convinces me Im ill or hurt enough, so its not just fear I dont think.

Last edited by wishfull; 03/16/08 02:41 AM.

#158040 - 03/16/08 02:54 AM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: wishfull]  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
I've added it, Anne. Thank you! Wow, that bruising the next day was colorful!

#158043 - 03/16/08 03:08 AM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: hellobaby]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Will take a pic tomoro for you Lynne, if its of use to your site! TBH, Ive had half a bottle of wine now, its late, and all you would get is a smudge most likely, lol! (And i do intend to finish my wine, lol!) Must admit, my eyes nearly fell out of my head yesterday! The bite REALLY didnt hurt any where NEAR enough to produce that result, guess it just serves to prove, these little birdies can do damage!

#158045 - 03/16/08 03:17 AM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: wishfull]  
hellobaby Offline
Lives Here
hellobaby  Offline
Lives Here

USA
Sounds good, no rush. I'll just bet you couldn't believe your eyes when you saw that upon waking! I know things could have been worse, but thank goodness they weren't. I emailed you, so be on the lookout.

#158048 - 03/16/08 03:36 AM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: hellobaby]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
Thanks Lynne, will go check now before I head bedwards! Cant finish the wine, lol! Yes, I did get a shock when i saw it. I just woke up sort of hurting, and then remembered, as you do, looked, and thought ''ohhh S*&T!!!!'' All's fully functional anyway smile

#158050 - 03/16/08 03:57 AM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: wishfull]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
That's a lot of bruising! I would get it checked out!

Gail
#158236 - 03/17/08 05:42 PM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: Bird Mom]  
hollipop Offline
hollipop  Offline

ENGLAND!
Just found this thread....If Casey could understand enough, Im sure she would be laughing her head off...I did tell you what a bugger she could be!
Edit to say:Anne is right about her body language, she is the hardest to read and gives you absolutley no indication that she is going to bite until her beak is wrapped around a part of your anatomy.

Last edited by hollipop; 03/17/08 05:52 PM.

I am a bird: can you question that I am any less human than you?
#158237 - 03/17/08 05:52 PM Re: Cockatoo bites... [Re: hollipop]  
wishfull Offline
Lives Here
wishfull  Offline
Lives Here

england uk
I bet she'd wet her self in glee Hollie laugh And deffinately, I well knew she was a biter, you couldnt have painted a clearer picture!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny