Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 80 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#157774 - 03/14/08 04:28 AM Hormones or Simply Play?  
Crossfire Offline
Lives Here
Crossfire  Offline
Lives Here

Indiana
As are many 'Toos during this time of year our Katie ( U2 ) has been pretty hormonal and although she has settled down some compared to previously ( laid an egg awhile back ) I'm curious if her current behavior should be chalked up to hormones or simply her way of playing with her toy. We've only know one another since October so I have no previous experiences of lots of play time to fall back on. Any and all opinions are welcome.

I've experienced the typical "chicken scratching" over the years with other birds but this doesn't seem to be the same. Katie has a favorite toy, a baby rattle thats brightly colored, it makes a ton of noise when shaken and she can easy grab it. For the past two weeks Katie has been taking this rattle to the play top of her cage, she throws it around a bit and then works it towards a corner by pushing it with her beak, once in the corner she bites, kicks and does everything she can until she works the rattle into a corner.

Once the rattle is in the corner she takes great pleasure in kicking it, putting it in her beak and sliding it from side to side so it bangs against the sides of the top in that corner. The louder she can get it to bang around the more she seems to enjoy it and she'll literally keep herself busy with this for a good hour or more. Now a happy and content Cockatoo is a beautiful thing but I want to be sure that this isn't more than just play.

No real panting to speak of when she does this, she does pant a little but it seems more due to being out of breath from hard play with a stuffy nose since shes still getting over a really nasty bout of sinusitus.

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.

~ Sonja & Katie U2 ~
#157782 - 03/14/08 04:44 AM Re: Hormones or Simply Play? [Re: Crossfire]  
MissYumYum Offline
Lives Here
MissYumYum  Offline
Lives Here

Dallas, Texas
Hi Sonja. This sounds like playing to me, although aggressive playing! Isabella is VERY aggressive with her toys at this time of year, almost violent with a few of them! But, it keeps her busy, and like you said, a busy, happy 'Too is a beautiful thing smile! I, too, have noticed some panting, but NOT the hormonal, "over-sexed" type of panting, more the out-of-breath-from-exertion" panting.

I think you can safely chalk it up to "the season," sigh...

Hang in there!

Annette

Last edited by MissYumYum; 03/14/08 04:45 AM. Reason: sp.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step - Old Chinese Proverb
#157821 - 03/14/08 03:11 PM Re: Hormones or Simply Play? [Re: MissYumYum]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Sounds like playing to me too. smile

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny