Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#155987 - 02/28/08 05:21 AM <sigh> what to feed him....  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

Can I tell ya that my frustration level here is at an all time high. This picky eater syndrome is getting so old. Every morning and every evening I struggle with a nutritionally sound and 'too appealing variety of foods that should please ANY species in amounts that would feed a 3 world country. Twice a day it is dropped, thrown at me and out and out ignored,left to throw out by the end of the day. I spend more time cooking and preparing for this bird than I ever did for myself or anyone else. He always has a variety of gourmet pellets, including Birdlicious Species Specific, Harrisons, Zupreen, Roudy Bush, and Pretty Bird. Ya wanna know what he would eat tonight? A cracker... a lousy out of the box "Wheatable" cracker. Oh. and he picked the itty bitty barley out of some soup. I prepare mashes, breads, vegetable and bean mixtures, sweet potatoes.. you name it. He is only 'too happy to eat seed laden Nutriberries, Avicakes, anything with sugar or pine nuts. Can't give him any of that because he's a junkie. Will definately not eat anything else for days if he gets a taste of those as a treat. It's not like this has been a few days. It's been going on for nearly 2 years. I have to admit that I break down and give him some of those affore mentioned treats just so I'm sure he's eating something. He went from 740 grams to about 660 grams in the time that he's lived here and seems to stay around there somehow. He's been vetted 3 times since I have had him to be sure there is nothing wrong. (pricey full blood panels and everything else) I am ready to give up offering the 5 star menu at all and just let him have his Nutriberries and Avicakes.At least he would be eating regularily and happily.They claim it's a " well balanced diet"
Sorry about the rant guys... I am pretty down about all of this. I swear I can hear his stomach growl from here. What is up with this guy?!
Cheryl

#155990 - 02/28/08 05:31 AM Re: <sigh> what to feed him.... [Re: Winter's mom]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
mom2beebop
Unregistered

hmmmmmm. I know just what you mean. What I would try if I was you is make the portions much much smaller. Ive noticed if I give plenty, my birds toss and plant {my floor}
I feel your pain! Really I do!

#155999 - 02/28/08 05:55 AM Re: <sigh> what to feed him.... [Re: ]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
I think he will eat when he's hungry. Keep offering the variety, but in small portions. One day Brewster likes a food & the next day he doesn't. I need to get a scale though.

Gail
#156001 - 02/28/08 06:10 AM Re: <sigh> what to feed him.... [Re: Bird Mom]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
The only advice I can offer from my limited experiences is what the other have told you. Chewy would not touch birdy bread. She would ALWAYS throw it to the bottom of her cage first thing.

What I started doing was breaking up the big portion into much smaller bit sized pieces and mixing those pieces in with her food. That way it would take her longer to throw it all to the bottom and maybe she may taste a bit.

This wasn't really my idea belle suggested it to me originally and it worked maybe smaller portions will have the same effect?
keep trying winter is so lucky to have you!

Abe
#156018 - 02/28/08 08:42 AM Re: <sigh> what to feed him.... [Re: Ketrel]  
Lene Offline
Lives Here
Lene  Offline
Lives Here

Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Hi Cheryl...

Maybe you can make a list of what he DOES like... Try him with one thing at a time, and don't give in to the biscuits. Make sure he has a few pellets/seeds in his bowl.

Cory loves corn on cob, carrots and apple. He will also eat cucumber, but I serve everything raw... I don't cook for him.

His pellets are Roudybush Large pellets.

Cheers
Lene
#156065 - 02/28/08 04:05 PM Re: <sigh> what to feed him.... [Re: Lene]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I agree, start with a list of what he does like and then work from there. My M2 is a very picky eater, but over the years I've managed to work with what she likes to introduce and get other things into her. Ex: Echo loves oatmeal, but likes only a few veggies, so I add some organic veggie baby food to her oatmeal (squash, carrots, etc). In the beginning I had to also add a bit of fruit to help mask the veggie flavor, but now she gobbles it right up.

I know how frustrating it can be and Echo will also go on hunger strikes. Yesterday she hardly ate a thing and after I offered her 3 different things at dinner time, I gave up. She ate a good breakfast this morning though. I've learned that eventually, when they get hungry enough they will eat.

Good luck!

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#156068 - 02/28/08 04:26 PM Re: <sigh> what to feed him.... [Re: EchosMom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cassie only eats raw also for the most part. Alot of foods I've introduced to her as toys. Peppers and squashes cut in half with the seeds in place on a skewer. Carrot drilled and strung up in the cage. Kale or other greens tied in a big bunch to the side of the cage. Chili peppers sliced and put on a skewer. Oh greenbeans I found she will only eat if I split them in half so she can see the bean. Pellets put in puzzle toys or in small boxes surrounded by shredded paper tied to the side or top of the cage so she can shred the box open. Yes I waste alot of food but she has become a great eater for me. Plus she is very busy with this every day. I put quite a bit in each day this way. Today she has Kale tied to the cage, pellets and one ecotrition ball hidden in a box, 2 lunch bags with pellets hidden in another bag inside, pellets and the ecotrition balls in two puzzle toys, plus her pellet dish and veggie dish. The only foods I cook for her are rice and sometimes pasta which I mix in with her fresh veggies. She rarely eats fruit but I do the same thing with the fruits she eats. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#156109 - 02/29/08 01:09 AM Re: <sigh> what to feed him.... [Re: BE2Cassie]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
What type of pretty bird do you give her? If you can find "Pretty Bird Natural Gold" it came HIGHLY recommended from my AV and he said that he's never really met a bird who wouldn't eat it. He said that is the pellet he promotes whenever a bird needs to be weaned off the seeds.

Another thing I was thinking is maybe trying to make things yummy at first, not worrying about the sodium or sugar content until he gets hooked then slowly reduce the salt/sugar or eliminate it altogether? I don't know if this is a good idea but it was worth throwing out there.

Of course, there's always the time-tested "Pretend like its your favorite delicacy and that you don't want to share" however you might do that already ^^ Lol

By the way, I just posted a recipe for root mash that leah gobbles up when its warm... maybe you can try that? Just put a lot of garlic and whatever else you think will make it yummy for Winter.

As for the nutriberries, there was another thread saying that the berry as a whole has some nutrition but mostly they just eat off the seeds that are stuck on with sugar and throw away the parts that have any nutritional value...

BTW I had luck hanging whole carrots from the top of the cage too, Leah likes carrots now...

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#156398 - 03/02/08 07:05 AM Re: <sigh> what to feed him.... [Re: belle-ville]  
Winter's mom Offline
Lives Here
Winter's mom  Offline
Lives Here

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I just keep keepin' on. I will try all of your suggestions and so far I haven't given in to the Nutriberries or Avicakes.... Now I guess it's just a battle of wills. It's just so darned frustrating when you give them so much and put in so much effort and they just act like you're trying to poison them.

#156400 - 03/02/08 07:41 AM Re: <sigh> what to feed him.... [Re: Winter's mom]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Originally Posted By: Winter's mom
It's just so darned frustrating when you give them so much and put in so much effort and they just act like you're trying to poison them.

Haha! This morning peas were poison in our house!!

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#156474 - 03/03/08 12:24 AM Re: <sigh> what to feed him.... [Re: belle-ville]  
Ketrel Offline
Lives Here
Ketrel  Offline
Lives Here

Miami
see the inverse here Chewy loves peas... recently I had luck with a little bit of mashed sweet potato warm Chewy loved it.

Last edited by Ketrel; 03/03/08 12:24 AM.

Abe

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny