Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#153064 - 02/05/08 08:33 PM Honeymoon over but looking forward to life togeth  
ladida Offline
ladida  Offline

Santa Fe Springs, CA
I am a little bit worried. My too was acting very strange last night. When I let him out to hold him for a while he immediately started to get puffy and was crying. He didn't stop for over 30 minutes. I put him back in his cage and he was fine. I let him out again and he started that behavior again, when I put him back he was fine again. When I first got him he would do that every once in a while and to me it looked like he was hungry (like a wee baby bird looking for food). I am taking him to a vet in the next week or so, but I was wondering if you have had experience with this.

Last edited by ladida; 02/05/08 08:46 PM.
#153066 - 02/05/08 08:48 PM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: ladida]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
How old is he? He could be looking for a comfort feeding.I will make up some oatmeal once and a while and spoon feed the birds and they turn all baby like right away.It is very benificial to you as a caregiver to get them used to eating from a spoon incase you ever have to medicate them.

I would also take him in to the Avian Vet for a check up.You just never know if he has a yeast infection or something making him not eat right and then he will feel hungry.

Jan

Sometimes damaged goods are the best gifts the world has to offer
#153070 - 02/05/08 09:09 PM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: Janny]  
ladida Offline
ladida  Offline

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Thank you - he is 6 months old and he eats like a champ. I was really worried sick - I checked him thoroughly to make sure he wasn't injured or anything. He does act like a baby - my husband was even wondering if he is younger than we thought. I will try that tonight with the oatmeal. I will take him to the vet later this week or early next week. Thanks for your input.

#153073 - 02/05/08 09:31 PM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: ladida]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Okay I just looked at your profile and saw you have a U2.At 6 months old they are babies.Most of the larger speies don't wean that young.My M2 Bailey was closer to 8 or 9 months old when he was just starting to refuse feedings and I kept him on night feedings until was ready himself to cut them out but I still made it and tried.He would refuse the odd one but most often he still wanted it.The handfeeding formula is something that a young bird needs as it has so many nutrients in it for them and helps the immune system.

If I were you I would make that appointment very soon and talk to your Avian Vet about weaning and handfeeding.I will also provide a very good article to read that will help to understand how important it is to them for the future.

weaning and fledging

How long has he been with you?

Jan

#153077 - 02/05/08 09:38 PM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: Janny]  
ladida Offline
ladida  Offline

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Thanks very much - that's why I am here. I really want to make sure that I am doing the right thing with this guy. He has been with me for a little over 2 weeks now

#153079 - 02/05/08 09:44 PM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: ladida]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
He has likely been force weaned by the breeder.What I would do is this....

Make your vet appointement right away.You need to be weighing him on a regular basis to determine wieght loss and gain during this process.I can not give you major advice on the handfeeding that will have to come from the vet.But until you can get in to see him/her...

Cook up some sweet potatoe and mash it.Then mix in all kinds of healthy veggies and a few pellets and put it in the blender and make it like a baby food texture.Try feeding him some of that a couple of times a day from a spoon until you get that vet appointment.If you stick all of this in the blender it will be a nice texture to feed.Don't make it too warm or he could get crop burn but they won't eat it if it is too cool either.

Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

Jan

#153086 - 02/05/08 10:06 PM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: Janny]  
Elliott Offline
Lives Here
Elliott  Offline
Lives Here

Tennessee
He needs to be really fed until his first hatchday. I would get to the Vet ASAP so they can show you the proper feeding and get this little boy off on a better start.

#153088 - 02/05/08 10:13 PM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: Elliott]  
ladida Offline
ladida  Offline

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Thanks guys - will do and I will keep you updated. Where do I get a gram scale - like a kitchen store?

#153089 - 02/05/08 10:14 PM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: ladida]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
mom2beebop
Unregistered

you can get a gram scale for postal stuff at walmart I believe

#153583 - 02/08/08 10:57 PM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: ]  
ladida Offline
ladida  Offline

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Update - I weighed Elvis last night and he was about 420 grams. I have an appointment with the vet on Sunday morning. I think that because he was used to being fed seed that he was not feeling satisfied with the diet I was giving him. He has been very content the last couple of nights now that I am mixing a scoop of seed with his pellets and he is still eating the fresh fruits and veggies that I am feeding him as well.

#154029 - 02/12/08 02:10 AM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: ladida]  
ladida Offline
ladida  Offline

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Update - Elvis went to the vet. He looks very good including his weight. The vet recommended NOT to feed him by hand, but I found that the minute he starts with the baby business if I put him on his cage he stops. I found out his hatch date is 9/10/07, so 5 months old. His bloodwork will come back later this week, I'm praying that all is well. He was sent home with some Sunshine Factor that I started him on this am.

#154080 - 02/12/08 05:06 AM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: ladida]  
Upstate Offline
Upstate  Offline

Originally Posted By: ladida
Update - Elvis went to the vet. He looks very good including his weight. The vet recommended NOT to feed him by hand, but I found that the minute he starts with the baby business if I put him on his cage he stops. I found out his hatch date is 9/10/07, so 5 months old. His bloodwork will come back later this week, I'm praying that all is well. He was sent home with some Sunshine Factor that I started him on this am.

The vet is most likely recommending that you not attempt syringe feed as this can result in complications for the unprepared pet owner. I would garner a clarification. 5 months is quite young for a large cockatoo and although the weight is normal its the emotional implications of forced weaning that can become a detriment in your birds pet potential. Its not just a cockatoo issue...mammals are also subject to behavioral issues if "pulled" prior to readiness.
Spoon feeding a cockatoo that is asking for security is actually quite simple. If you are interested I will outline how, but even appropriate soft foods fed by hand may provide the comfort traditionally provided by the cockatoo parent.
My fully weaned amazon requested comfort feedings and i obliged....

#154087 - 02/12/08 05:33 AM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: Upstate]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
I agree...To deny this chick could be very detrimantal to it's psychological needs more than physical.Please read the abundance weaning link I posted prier and it will explain exactly that.You do not necessarily need to feed it baby formula but it is asking for food for comfort.Please reconsider.You can feed mashed potatoes and all kinds of veggies and just put themin the blender to make a nice texture for the spoon.

Jan

#154088 - 02/12/08 05:38 AM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: Upstate]  
Upstate Offline
Upstate  Offline

http://www.companionparrot.com/weaning%20transition.htm

Great Article. If you can read only one...make it this one below

Last edited by Charlie; 02/12/08 07:02 AM. Reason: remove breeder oriented link
#154153 - 02/12/08 07:36 PM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: Upstate]  
ladida Offline
ladida  Offline

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Actually - the night after the crying episode i tried spoon speeding some warm oatmeal and elvis was not interested at all. This behavior is stemming from his addiction to seed. I actually bought some seed to mix in with his pellet and he seemed much more satisfied and no crying, but it did cause the diarrhea. Yesterday he did not get any seed and actually I was holding him and getting something out of the cupboard and when he saw the seed he started crying. I put him up on his cage and finished eating his dinner.

#154175 - 02/12/08 10:47 PM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: ladida]  
Janny Offline
Janny  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Canada
Ladida you do what you feel is best but depriving him of this comfort is much like taking the bottle away from an actual baby when it needs the confort of a bottle and it is taken away too soon IMO.

Jan

#154177 - 02/12/08 10:52 PM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: Janny]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
mom2beebop
Unregistered

oh goodness. This is very sad to me.

#154184 - 02/13/08 12:32 AM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: ]  
ladida Offline
ladida  Offline

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Like i said he refused the spoon feeding. did ya miss that part

#154186 - 02/13/08 12:39 AM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: ladida]  
ladida Offline
ladida  Offline

Santa Fe Springs, CA
I am here for advice and I am going to do what is best for my cockatoo. Treating me like that is not a good way to get your point across. Now are you telling me to go against what my avain vet recommended? Is that what you are suggesting??

#154187 - 02/13/08 12:43 AM Re: The honeymoon is over [Re: ladida]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
ladida you seem to be missing the point of the great information and suggestions given to you. Comfort feeding does not have to be by spoon, it can also be by hand feeding tidbits. Getting him hooked on seed at this young age is going to cause major health issues along with dietary issues down the road. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny