Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15355 - 05/18/05 06:08 PM Appreciate any hints  
MandyF Offline
MandyF  Offline

Belton, MO
As I am fairly new to the site, I am still reading and reading and reading all past posts. Right now, to make my story short and sweet, I have recently adopted a SC2 named Clarence. He is approximately 6 years old and a very good boy so far, bull-headed, but that is to be expected. I have dealt with any type of animal except snakes that you can think of, and my family is known in the area as the local unoffical rescue of animals in danger/unwanted/or in need.

Anyway, I am reading just as much and as fast as I can on large birds (I have Conure and cockateil already) as Clarence is my first. I understand that the first couple of weeks are truly an adjustment time, and we are trying to make it as unstressful as possible. Clarence had never been to a vet, so I have taken him and he was not thrilled. I would appreciate any quick hints as to what to watch for on inappropriate behavior. He has been on mainly seed diet and I am working with him on fruits and vegetables with great success already. I believe he is happy in his new home, and he has introduced me to the joy of a bite when I was being completely stupid and messed with his food bowl while he was in the cage. I was tired and not thinking properly, and Clarence made sure I woke up quickly.

I appreciate any guidance general or specific you would like to give.

Mandy

#15356 - 05/18/05 06:53 PM Re: Appreciate any hints  
flowerchild Offline
Lives Here
flowerchild  Offline
Lives Here

New England
welcome mandy,
keep reading, many here more knowledgable than i. try to wean off the seeds and switch to a good quality pellet. lots of info on the diet forum. my lsc2 only ate seed when she came here, she is loving the rice, bean, veg diet and finally gaining weight.

#15357 - 05/18/05 07:07 PM Re: Appreciate any hints  
Julz Offline
Lives Here
Julz  Offline
Lives Here

Welcome to TOOVILLE! wink

My U2 is my first big bird! While I was growing up, may family was also known as the family that unofficially rescued! Horses, dogs, rabbits, chickens & 1 old nasty rooster! I have had budgies while growing up and ALWAYS wanted a parrot!

So here I am with my Umbrella! Babe-Zee is an awesome bird! he has made my transition to a parrot owner very easy! I have no problems with mutilation(knock on wood) every once in a while he gets nippy but all in all he is a good bird! Its been a slow process in getting him to eat good foods other than seeds!(Parrot Mix)! He does scream but not all the time! Once in a while he will go a couple of days with no screaming,but he will make up for those "silent" days! He has come to work with me when I work a weekend and I have taken him to my kids classrooms and to my son's football games and shopped at the local store (except grocery)! He loves to bully my dog and scare the new kitty and he loves to see if he can scare my 2 younger kids (8 & 12)!

Have fun with your TOO! Love him forever!

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny