Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 51 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#183871 - 11/04/08 07:26 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
Jackielu Offline
Jackielu  Offline

Tulsa, Oklahoma
I couldn't even watch it. It makes me sick.

#183952 - 11/05/08 01:51 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Jackielu]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
I know there has been talk about the validity of the footage, but there are two things I know for sure:

1. That baby cockatoo is crying!
2. Baby cockatoos are not supposed to cry!

frown

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#184082 - 11/05/08 09:34 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
It really hurts to watch that video. frown frown frown Those poor babies! How could anyone be so heartless as to throw a baby in the trash??? It just breaks my heart.

#184085 - 11/05/08 09:53 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Nomokis]  
Nomokis Offline
Nomokis  Offline

Ohio
I just watched Angel's video and I am just heart broken. Oh, that poor darling. I feel like I'll never be able to get that video out of my head.

I think of my little Bella and it breaks my heart to think it could have just as easily happened to her. That poor baby...

Where do you guys buy new toys from? The PetSmart around my house doesn't sell birds so I didn't know about any of this. I don't want to buy anything from them anymore. Do you know of a safe place to buy toys?

#184087 - 11/05/08 09:59 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Nomokis]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Nomokis
Do you know of a safe place to buy toys?

http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=184088&#Post184088

Last edited by EchosMom; 11/05/08 10:17 PM.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#184127 - 11/06/08 05:41 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
Cebr2007 Offline
Cebr2007  Offline

Salem, NH
That is the saddest, sickest video I have ever seen. Poor little baby. No living creature should endure that. The "investigator" may have been trying to do good, to expose a horrible situation, but I don't care- I would have taken that baby out of that situation whether they let me or not. Period. Am I missing some part of the story? How could she just watch that poor baby die?

-Christine
#197915 - 04/07/09 03:34 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Cebr2007]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
What do you do??

Gail
#197916 - 04/07/09 04:24 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Cebr2007]  
Walter Offline
Walter  Offline

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Cebr2007
That is the saddest, sickest video I have ever seen. Poor little baby. No living creature should endure that. The "investigator" may have been trying to do good, to expose a horrible situation, but I don't care- I would have taken that baby out of that situation whether they let me or not. Period. Am I missing some part of the story? How could she just watch that poor baby die?

I feel the same way. I couldn't have just watched for so long. I would have taken the baby goffin out, and it would have taken a SWAT team to stop me.

#197921 - 04/07/09 05:58 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Walter]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
I agree Walter.
I saw the whole video on some news show and I was so devastated I was an emotional wreck for weeks. Then I stated to question the validity of the video because a person who is undercover for an animal orginazition who could watch a baby bird die, is completley heartless and a coward, so what would said person be doing undercover with the danger of getting caught? (also, how could a baby last a week with out food or water, let alone for 45 days?) I believe we were had on this one guys.
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#197924 - 04/07/09 06:19 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Ladyhutch]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
As I recall the bird was being gavage fed to sustain it. I won't watch it again though. The images and sounds are forever etched in my heart and soul. I could not have stood by and witnessed such suffering, that much I know.

#197930 - 04/07/09 09:39 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
anitamarie942 Offline
anitamarie942  Offline

No, no, no, nooooooooooo..................

#197983 - 04/08/09 01:46 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: anitamarie942]  
Ladyhutch Offline
Lives Here
Ladyhutch  Offline
Lives Here

Oregon
You may be right, EM. I also will not watch it again. It is very traumatizing. But then, isn`t that what PETA is striving for?
So very, very sad. Anyone who could stand by and watch such a thing and do nothing is sub-human, obviously.
Sharon

You have two choices: accept things the way they are, or have courage to change them. J Kanani

#198107 - 04/09/09 06:36 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Ladyhutch]  
alexz Offline
alexz  Offline

Southern California
They have their own agenda...

PETA: http://www.consumerfreedom.com/pressRelease_detail.cfm/release/258

PETA Killed 95 Percent of Adoptable Pets in its Care During 2008

Hypocritical Animal Rights Group’s 2008 Disclosures Bring Pet Death Toll To 21,339

WASHINGTON DC – Today the nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) published documents online showing that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) killed 95 percent of the adoptable pets in its care during 2008. Despite years of public outrage over its euthanasia program, the animal rights group kills an average of 5.8 pets every day at its Norfolk, VA headquarters.

#198115 - 04/09/09 02:28 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: alexz]  
ZazuSally Offline
Lives Here
ZazuSally  Offline
Lives Here

Ontario, Canada
I agree Alex. Fanatics always make me nervous. Who are they to decide who lives and dies? Bit of a God complex, I would say.

Bev

Owner: DebRan Bird Toys
#200478 - 05/08/09 12:31 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: ZazuSally]  
Lucy's Mom Offline
Lives Here
Lucy's Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Parrish, FL
I have first hand knowledge of the 'bad' side of PETA and although I cannot give specifics, I can tell you that a lot of what they purport to be true is not and that bald-faced lies are stated as truth. I do not trust that organization at all.

Any org that needs to lie to survive, shouldn't.

Karen, Lucy (U2), BooBoo (CAG),Pina (BCC),Willie (Cockatiel),
Melody, Sonata, Penny & Dory(dogs)
#200481 - 05/08/09 12:35 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Lucy's Mom]  
Scarletts mom Offline
Lives Here
Scarletts mom  Offline
Lives Here

SC
Here is a shocker...Peta is talking about making Michael Vick a spokesperson! Shock value I suppose. Maybe a way to show his remorse for KILLING DOGS (I doubt that)! What a joke!

#203182 - 06/29/09 05:27 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Scarletts mom]  
Pete789 Offline
Pete789  Offline

Cairns, Australia
Horror movie...I am crying... and it makes mae angry too... i want to break that bastards fingers one by one.

I don't know what laws you got in US.. but in Australia they would go to jail.

#203266 - 06/30/09 06:27 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Pete789]  
ParrotPerson Offline
ParrotPerson  Offline

UT, USA
I'm only posting on here since I saw that one link - PETA: http://www.consumerfreedom.com/pressRelease_detail.cfm/release/258

I'm no fan of PETA. I hate them as much as the next valid Animal Rights activist does. The saddest part is, they do occasionally have some good points to make. Had they not filmed and just rescued the bird, everyone would think, "Awww, how nice!" instead of having these grotesque images etched in their souls. It might be sensationalism, but it works.

I mean, I owe the fact that I'm vegan due to PETA's persistent messages similar to this.

But again, I do not like PETA.

What I like less than PETA is that Web site I mentioned earlier. I understand people's knee-jerk reaction to hating PETA and wanting to believe anything negative about them they can, but check your sources first. That Web site is run by a food industry funded organization; the ones who have the most to lose if PETA wins people over. Their donors include such members as Taco Bell and other fast food chains and factory farming businesses - none of whom PETA has ever said anything good about.

So we may dislike PETA but Consumerfreedom.com is 10 times worse in their scale of violence and abuse to animals.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
#203270 - 06/30/09 08:18 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: ParrotPerson]  
Charlie Offline
Admin
Charlie  Offline

Admin
Chained to the Computer

Covington, LA USA
Quote:
Had they not filmed and just rescued the bird, everyone would think, "Awww, how nice!" instead of having these grotesque images etched in their souls.

I agree. This is happening untold times a day in every conceivable type of situation, not JUST PetSmart! If this one's suffering can convince ONE PERSON what a horrific life most of these birds endure, it has not lived in vain. Someone has to do the documentary. I'm not sure I could do it, but it needs doing.

#203300 - 07/01/09 03:59 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Charlie]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
Consumer Freedom is absolutely biased, but you can look at Peta's records on the government's website.. so they aren't exaggerating. Also, attacking consumerfreedom instead of their argument is called an ad hominem attack and is a logical fallacy.

If you want to help animals, support the animal welfare movement. Animal rights have a hard-line, impossible stance that will only hurt people and animals in the long run. I'm sorry, but there is no way everyone in the world is going to become vegan (although you are quite welcome to do so yourself, as long as you realize it's not actively changing much of anything). Even if these groups managed to outlaw meat, do you really think that's going to stop people? People are going to be smuggling cows and keeping them in their basements (or what have you) and at that point, all of those regulations and good care standards go out the window and the animals suffer much more than before.

There are still bad farms and abusive practices, but I feel they are the minority and groups like Peta love to use them to represent the majority, which is completely unfair. The abusive people are bad definitely, but we shouldn't paint everyone with a broad brush. Animal welfare tries to focusing on getting rid of the bad places and bettering the care these animals receive. I've noticed a lot of people don't know the difference, so they are putting their lot in with the wrong people.

I hope an unbiased, objective documentary comes to light about parrots. Shockumentaries may fool some people for a while, but people have brains and can figure things out. I think the truth about companion parrots is enough to get people to see the light though, so there is no reason to manipulate anyone. The breeders always seem to cry bloody murder when a one-sided report comes out, I think they'd have a harder time with one that covers both sides.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny