Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 87 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#151819 - 01/24/08 06:55 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Cassie's_girl]  
Kyrie Offline
Kyrie  Offline

I received a boiler-plate reply to my email to PetSmart. They link to a press release on their website. Interestingly, the press release doesn't mention Angel as one of their 2 main concerns, which were the neutering of the rabbit and someone stepping on a hamster to kill it. Looks to me like a speedy response by someone at corporate who hasn't even seen all of the footage, or isn't paying attention. Typical corporate damage control. Please write your letters to Petsmart if you haven't yet. Let's not let that baby cockatoo's death be in vain, there is no excuse for any human being to allow an animal to suffer like that. It is unconscionable.

Here is the response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact PetSmart. We're very concerned about some of the images in the PETA video and are looking into the allegations that have been raised. For all the details on the Rainbow investigation and PETA's other campaigns, please visit {our website}. We will be updating this site as more information becomes available.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Manager
PetSmart

And the press release:

PETA's Campaign Against Rainbow Exotics

Updated January 23, 2008

PETA has launched a campaign against Rainbow Exotics, one of our major pet suppliers. The images, video and allegations are very disturbing.

Of all of PETA’s allegations, there are two that are of particular concern to us:

1. PETA alleges that some surgical procedures being performed at the facility are outside standard veterinary care. One particularly troubling segment of the video shows a Rainbow staff member conducting a surgical procedure on a rabbit.

It’s difficult to know exactly what was happening during this procedure, however, we are concerned that appropriate methods weren’t being followed. This is a serious concern to us and one we’re investigating fully.

2. The PETA video implies that a Rainbow staff member killed an escaped hamster by stepping on it. While the video is not completely clear and we’re not sure of the true facts surrounding this issue, we’re treating it seriously and are fully investigating it.

These allegations are troubling and we’re taking them very seriously, which is why we’re conducting an investigation. PETA also made other allegations that deserve a response:

Care and condition of the pets and facility
PETA alleges that pets are housed in overcrowded, unsanitary conditions.

• PetSmart requires that our suppliers’ facilities must meet USDA requirements for animal care as well as our own high standards, which includes space requirements. We’re conducting a full investigation to make sure our standards are being met.

• The habitats are designed for cleanliness and safety, knowing the pets spend only a short time in these facilities before being shipped to stores. PETA’s images unfortunately portray only pets that are in various stages of being transported within the facility, when large numbers are grouped together for a few moments.

Medical care provided the pets
PETA alleges that no veterinarian ever visited the facility during the two month investigation and that pets were cared for by untrained staff.

• PetSmart requires each vendor to have an attending veterinarian, and Rainbow has a veterinarian that is responsible for overseeing the medical needs of the pets.

Death and disposal of pets
PETA portrays Rainbow as being insensitive regarding the disposal of pets that may have died in their care.

Even under the best circumstances, unfortunately some pets get sick and die. The loss of any life is upsetting, and while images of death are always difficult to accept, sadly it’s an inevitable fact of life.

PetSmart is committed to the exemplary treatment of pets, and we believe this is evident to customers who shop our stores.

We use only USDA-licensed breeding facilities for our pet suppliers, and we require that our breeders have a licensed veterinarian on staff. We expect our breeders and their veterinarians, including Rainbow, to be true to our high standards for pet care as well as those required by regulation. When PetSmart vets have visited Rainbow’s facility (including unannounced visits), they have found those standards in place. That’s why we’re so disappointed and disturbed by some of the issues that have been raised. We’ve launched a full investigation into this matter and we’ll take any and all steps necessary to make sure our pets receive appropriate treatment and care.

If you have any questions, please contact our Customer Service line at (800) 738-1385, ext. 2518.

#151829 - 01/24/08 10:56 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Kyrie]  
Cidsa Offline
Cidsa  Offline

Alberta, Canada
I hope that Petsmart shapes up and stops using that place and the people running that place get in trouble.. I'm not sure what state they are located in, but I'm pretty sure animal abuse like that is illegal in a lot of them. @>@

The worst part about this stuff is that a lot of people just don't care (and I've met a number of people who are disturbed enough to think that this sort of thing is funny). It's really disheartening to see that this still goes on and on.. frown

#151842 - 01/24/08 03:44 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Kyrie]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
We are all (those that signed on the PETA site) getting that same, canned response from PetSmart.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#151849 - 01/24/08 06:49 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
couragee Offline
Lives Here
couragee  Offline
Lives Here

stockton, ca
I got the same. Here's another address for folks to help turn up the heat:
Rainbow World Exotics
c/o Jack and Diane Graham
RR 3 Box 194g
Hamilton, Texas 76531

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before improving the world. Anne Frank
#151850 - 01/24/08 06:54 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: couragee]  
Kim & Lilly Offline
Lives Here
Kim & Lilly  Offline
Lives Here

Nashville, TN
Way to go Maria, I was thinking the same thing! Kim

#151852 - 01/24/08 07:11 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Kim & Lilly]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Here are physical addresses I obtained from TX Corporate Records:

RAINBOW EXOTICS INC
4772 COUNTY ROAD 105
HAMILTON, TX 76531-3826

Registered Agent: JACK D GRAHAM
4772 CR 105
HAMILTON, TX 76531

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

#151883 - 01/25/08 01:02 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: EchosMom]  
Elfhome Offline
Elfhome  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted By: EchosMom
Tina, your questions are very valid.

But, there is a logical, although heartwrenching, answer to your question..."The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the one". Sad, but true. That "one" baby, will hopefully save the lives of many others....IF we take a stand.

I'd make a terrible investigative reporter because I would have snatched that baby too!

They've actually done a study on ethical dilemas. What they found was that sort of thinking causes a LOT of areas to light up in the brain. Logically, it should be easy. But as humans we find it very hard at times. It's a big issue for documentary makers and investigative journalists filming in tough situations. Or even situations when they face nature, and have to decide to interfer or not.
For example, wolves killing a moose

Last edited by Elfhome; 01/25/08 01:03 AM.

"A Robin Redbreast in a cage
Puts all Heaven in a Rage."
~William Blake
#151907 - 01/25/08 09:01 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Kim & Lilly]  
belle-ville Offline
Lives Here
belle-ville  Offline
Lives Here

Miami, FL
Originally Posted By: Kim & Lilly
Here is Angels story in case you did not see it on the PETA website. One of the most heartbreaking things I have ever seen. Please, everyone write to Petsmart. We have to do something. This happens everyday, in pet smarts, petcos, pet shops all over the country. It is time to make a stand!

http://blog.peta.org/archives/2008/01/petsmart_cruelt_1.php

OMG couldn't watch this. ESPECIALLY not of a baby goffins' cockatoo. I don't shop at PetSmart/Pet Supermarket anyways, not even for pellets. I only go there as a last resort/emergency. I shop at the local bird store for pellets and toys, as it is by far the lesser of two evils.

-Amanda
Les premiers combats ont commencées,
La vengeance vient sûrement.

Résistons, amis! Créons!
#151914 - 01/25/08 10:47 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: belle-ville]  
spinnyspoo Offline
Lives Here
spinnyspoo  Offline
Lives Here

Western Canada
signed. I've also sent it to everyone I know who has an animal and posted on the craigslist petfo.

what I heard in the news re:peta was a follow-up from a story quite a long time ago and irrelevant. Sorry.

Wanna Bill? Wanna Bill?
-No Bill, I'm busy-
Dontcha wanna Bill? Dontcha wanna good boy?
#151925 - 01/25/08 05:44 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: spinnyspoo]  
jayisme350 Offline
jayisme350  Offline

I signed, I cryed, it will haunt me forever those videos.

#151937 - 01/25/08 08:36 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Cassie's_girl]  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
I didn't read all of each of your posts. This has been a very bad week for me and this has just been the icing on the cake, it's bothered me so much.

I wanted to say something about those not supporting PETA or ALF (although I don't know what that one is yet). I do support PETA for what they are doing, but I don't support them for the way they do it. Sometimes the shock value is just too much and can turn away those that in other, less shocking presentations, may be more accepting to the problem and help.

In my opinion that is what we are for. We need to get this out in a manner that touches people so that they want to help. Maybe you can call that playing it down a little. But shouldn't we, as mytoos and ftb's members educate ourselves on this situation and then get it out to others in our way, not the PETA shock way? I have posted several times on my weight watchers message board in an appeal to anyone who loves any animals, not just parrots.

PETA is over the top sometimes and very shocking, but I'm going to find a way to get this out so that even PETA non supporters will be willing to look at it and get involved.

#151989 - 01/26/08 03:44 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Lori Conarro]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Lori thats a great idea to send it to others not involved in animal message boards. Most people I know have at least one pet and most likely use the large chain pet stores. In my area we have a limited number of stores in which to purchase the premium pet supplies so I'm sure that everyone goes there. I'll be telling everyone. Thanks for the idea. Hope your week gets better. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#152050 - 01/26/08 09:47 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: BE2Cassie]  
yaya Offline
yaya  Offline

NY
Oh my God, Angels story is the saddest thing i've ever seen, how heartbreaking this really is.

#152057 - 01/27/08 01:25 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: yaya]  
Lori Conarro Offline
Lives Here
Lori Conarro  Offline
Lives Here

Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks Nancy, it's getting better.

#152306 - 01/30/08 02:27 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Lori Conarro]  
gizzytoo Offline
gizzytoo  Offline

Wyoming
Very sad, I was in a Pet Smart in CO. checking out the birdie things earlier this month & there were very few birds & not a lot of bird supplies either. They only had budgies & finches, maybe this is a good sign ???

#183761 - 11/03/08 02:39 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Cassie's_girl]  
karateka Offline
karateka  Offline

We have a pet store here in town, the next one is 40 min away, I buy most of my stuff online to avoid going there because they sell birds. I HATE the fact anyone would go in there and just buy an animal 'off the rack" like that. Makes me sick.

I will give them one "attaboy", not just anyone can walk in and get one, apparently (from someone who COMPLAINED about this) they grill you about your bird experience before allowing you to purchase one. They only carry small birds and the birds cages are, clean, FULL of toys and fresh food. I was told they are probably a better HOME for the few birds they have then most, if they would just stop selling!!!!

That being said, I DO NOT support them if all possible. 2 years ago we had a ice storm and I had to have bedding and cat food, they are 4 blocks away, I HAD to, no other options. I felt bad about it, but sometimes your stuck.

We have Several PetSmarts in the town near us (the 40 min away thing). I went there once, didn't buy a thing of course, but all their birds were in Quarantine??

#183767 - 11/03/08 02:59 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: gizzytoo]  
TiKa's Dad Offline
Lives Here
TiKa's Dad  Offline
Lives Here

Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: gizzytoo
Very sad, I was in a Pet Smart in CO. checking out the birdie things earlier this month & there were very few birds & not a lot of bird supplies either. They only had budgies & finches, maybe this is a good sign ???

Petsmart stopped selling large birds here too. It's like they want to punish the public by not carrying the supplies anymore either. They just figure the birds are sold and gone and washed their hands of trying to help the situation they were a major cause of.

John
Another 24 hours down. Only a lifetime to go. God speed! ~AngiesArk~ laugh
#183807 - 11/03/08 08:42 PM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: spinnyspoo]  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
Originally Posted By: spinnyspoo

Now. My question, just to be devil's advocate is: Do we know if the footage is true? I know that a bunch of PETA members have been busted staging some pretty awful stuff to 'make a point'. I'm afraid I don't entirely trust PETA's veracity.

Its so sad, but its true. It was all over MSN news and FOX 13 News when it was aired. If PETA did something like this and it was a LIE, then they could sue PETA and Im sure the NEWS STATIONS would LOVE to exploit another one of PETA'S "flaws" etc, like they have done so in the past.

#183859 - 11/04/08 02:39 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: Bokka-pooh]  
Simon's Mom Offline
Simon's Mom  Offline

Elk Plain, WA
That was almost the worst thing I have ever saw in my life! My Simon is a Goffins and I just kept thinking of: what if that was my baby?! OMG I am soooooooooooooooooooo glad we stopped shopping at Petsmart! I don't care for the shock value and it makes my stomach sick but if that is what it takes to get people to stop shopping there and see what goes on behind the scenes and see where their pets come from show it! Send it to everyone letting them know of course that it is VERY disturbing. Thanks for posting. 22 more minutes and I can go love my Simon! I need a cuddle now! lol

"Education is the progressive realization of our ignorance"

#183860 - 11/04/08 02:52 AM Re: PetSmart abusing animals - VIDEO [Re: karateka]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: karateka
I went there once, didn't buy a thing of course, but all their birds were in Quarantine??

They were in quarantine because of an outbreak of psittacosis - nationwide! http://www.mytoos.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=149024&fpart=1

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny