Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 47 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Search

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#151530 - 01/21/08 11:13 PM "Attacking randomly"  
Bokka-pooh Offline
Lives Here
Bokka-pooh  Offline
Lives Here

WA, USA
I've been thinking about this.

When someonEs TOO just bites them randomly. What were the person doing or NOT doing before hand?

I have a theory. These "OMG he is a total love, and Ive had him forever, but then I left the room and cam eback to him, he just bit me out of no where" made me wondering. As when I upset Bokka. Meaning, I take too long (at work) to come home to him, or I have to go Pee and leave him for a few minutes, and when I come back to him. He does nip me. To me thi sis aa "Dont you ever leave me again" nip. Sometimes they hurt, sometimes they just pinch. And Im sure someday he may make me bleed with this.

So I've been wondering, possibly all this takl about " He was a good, cuddly bird one moment, and then the next moment he lashe sout" could be him saying or her syaing " How dare you take forever to come home" or " How dare you disturb me from my restful state" or possibly if you truly disturbed them from a restful state they were sleeping or too rested when you disturbed them and they possibly thought it was someone else.

What does everyone else think? So far, with Bokka, I have learned that he will nip me when I am a bad person and leave the room to let the dogs out, or be gone for a couple hours to go to work, I expect a couple nippings when I get home.

The longer I take to get home, the more of a nip I may get.

Thoughts?

Mercedez and Bokka

Last edited by Bokka-pooh; 01/21/08 11:20 PM.
#151533 - 01/22/08 12:18 AM Re: "Attacking randomly" [Re: Bokka-pooh]  
EchosMom Offline
EchosMom  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Florida, USA
Behavior has function and there is never JUST behavior. Two things effect the rate that a behavior is performed. What happens immediately before the behavior and what happens immediately after it. Using the phrase that a bird bites randomly really isn't so - to us it appears random because we don't know why, but believe me, it isn't a random act for the bird.

Birds are angels who lift us up when our own wings forget how to fly.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Noelle, A Rehabilitation in Progress
#151536 - 01/22/08 01:36 AM Re: "Attacking randomly" [Re: EchosMom]  
hollipop Offline
hollipop  Offline

ENGLAND!
Yep, I dont believe I have ever been bitten randomly. The one bite I have had from Chloe, who is very much "my" bird, was when I was wearing nail polish, which I never where. I get attempted bites with Cocky when he doesnt want to step up, and Casey g2 will fly to your shoulder, and then bite your hand when you attempt to get her to step up, because she knows this is not"Casey" time, in a way she is cheating, and she knows you will place her back on the playstand which is not what she wants to do. She would be stuck to you 24/7 if she could have it her way, and when she cant, she will bite.

I am a bird: can you question that I am any less human than you?
#151544 - 01/22/08 02:09 AM Re: "Attacking randomly" [Re: hollipop]  
Bird Mom Offline
Lives Here
Bird Mom  Offline
Lives Here

Maryland, USA
I usually try to "read" the bird...you can tell by the bird's countenance if they are agitated & may bite. That's when you stay out of reach!!

Gail
#151552 - 01/22/08 03:25 AM Re: "Attacking randomly" [Re: Bird Mom]  
BE2Cassie Offline
BE2Cassie  Offline

Chained to the Computer

Wrentham, MA
Cassie is pretty easy to read as she gets over excited from playing she will start getting nippy. Not horrible bites but some will draw a drop of blood. With her and I think most bare eyeds is the bag under the eye gets to be a dark purple. When she gets purple we relax a bit and slow down the playing. She has only bitten from fear or anger a couple of times and that was when we had to towel her. Those bites hurt and we're careful to keep our fingers away from the beak as much as possible. Nancy

Nancy & Cassie BE2
#151567 - 01/22/08 10:01 AM Re: "Attacking randomly" [Re: BE2Cassie]  
Lene Offline
Lives Here
Lene  Offline
Lives Here

Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I have never had any bites from Cory... Except for when he plays with my fingers... These are not bites, but playbites, just like a dog will do, when he's learnt bite inhibition.

I don't trust him to never bite me, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, untill he does.

Cheers
Lene
#151580 - 01/22/08 06:14 PM Re: "Attacking randomly" [Re: Bokka-pooh]  
Tina Offline
Tina  Offline

Southern California
After a year with Yogi and BooBoo, I've never had blood drawn, but they have left a mark. In hindsight of nearly every bite I can usually pinpoint a probable reason. And we have learned that, so far, almost every bite has a sign or warning beforehand. Also, we've really come to learn their "language" and when to give them a little extra attention and when to give them space. For example, we are experiencing entering our first breeding season and we are definitely seeing a difference in their temperaments, especially with BooBoo (male).

#151588 - 01/22/08 06:54 PM Re: "Attacking randomly" [Re: Tina]  
ALI_G Offline
ALI_G  Offline

NORTH CAROLINA
wow...all of these people with only little or no blood from the bites. i wish i were so lucky...simon rarely bites when he doesnt create a gushing fountain of blood. i can read his warning signs but there usually isnt a pinch or anything just one big hard strike as deep and powerful as possible. sometimes they are not as bad, but they always draw blood.

now there are times when he is playful or looses his balance he will grab on with his beak. these are not bites , but can be painful. i have had some pretty ugly bruises from these.

She wasn't refined or unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.

#151607 - 01/22/08 09:23 PM Re: "Attacking randomly" [Re: ALI_G]  
JPT Offline
JPT  Offline

With Tikki, and after 22 years with her I have learned that if the eyes go into an almond shape - don't disturb her.
Better off you don't put your hand around them.

Moderated by  BE2Cassie, Beeps, EchosMom, Janny